Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't wait until she tries to explain this to Roxy.

duh derpity bluh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Jewasaurus posted:

Made the idiot part into an avatar, but for some reason I couldn't get it going as fast as it is in the panel, probably something to do with making the gif in photoshop and not flash.

(Is 125x125 the right size? :ohdear:)

You have to do a custom delay of 0.05 seconds. Photoshop lets you do as fast as 0.01 (it also allows 0.00, but browsers automagically interpret that as 0.1s). Since Hussie made the original in Photoshop, Photoshop should certainly be able to crop it without messing up the timing.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Jewasaurus posted:

Made the idiot part into an avatar, but for some reason I couldn't get it going as fast as it is in the panel, probably something to do with making the gif in photoshop and not flash.

(Is 125x125 the right size? :ohdear:)

What Factory Factory said about the frame delay is correct, and from looking at the file's size (and the file itself in photoshop) there are too many frames (you only need the first six) and you saved it at too high of a colour pallet (due to the lack of colour you only need to save it at 64, not 256). If you were to cut down on both the amount of frames and colour pallet the file would go from 92.56kB to about 18.5kB (the size limit on images for avatars is 30kB).

Also I made Jane's typing face (and made a flipped version just in case):
Without border

With border

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Oh man, I hope this doesn't cause Jane to just totally go nuts or something.

GG: Hoo HOO hoo!
GG: I'm all about to be meeting up some friends. :B
GG: GOING TO GET PRETTY MOTHERFUCKING FRIENDLY AT THEM REAL SOON.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Saradiart posted:

I really can't stand how he's starting to use such a thick outline outside of sprite modes.

I hate change apparently.

Starting?

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

WAR FOOT posted:

I've been trying to get the IDIOT part into a working avatar since this update came out, and it always comes out looking grainy, like so:

:sigh:

I may be just a dummy with GIMP, but I've found that the grainy problem tends to happen when the image is scaled while Indexed rather than RGB.

I can't really help if you're doing this in photoshop, but in GIMP it's Image->Mode->RGB. If you need to reduce the size of the file, you can feel free to switch back to Indexed when you're done. It just has to be RGB when you're scaling it down to avatar size.

Mr. D Bewildering fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 21, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Does this help any?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Does this help any?

This version looks perfect actually.

I kind of want it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Lady of the Beech posted:

This version looks perfect actually.

I kind of want it.

Keep the text, use the avatar.

(P.S. what happened?)

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

tinaun posted:

Keep the text, use the avatar.

(P.S. what happened?)
Redtext happened.

No idea actually. Would be nice if it was something actually amusing like a pony avatar or something but no it's just what I think is supposed to be a rather weak attempt at a "lady of the bitch" pun.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh wow I hope I didn't wake up my roommates from laughing at that update.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

jane you need to sever

now

What is it even with these heroes of life and hope and the friendzoning?

(I used to think things like this were coincidences. Heh.)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Wow, this "Jake mildly entertaining the idea of a relationship with Dirk" thing is seriously the last thing I expected to happen here. I'm pretty amazed that Hussie is going there, but it's a good amazed.

I do feel bad for Jane, though. drat, do I ever feel bad for Jane.

Bongo Bill posted:

I find humans talking about their feelings to be vastly more interesting than trolls talking about their feelings. Right now I am thinking I could watch any combination of the kids shooting the breeze about any topic, no matter how pointless, and I would say "This is delightful," and as long as thirteen (fourteen, now?) certain other characters weren't involved, I wouldn't even notice if no plot was happening.

am I racist

I didn't mind the troll romance as much as most and I even enjoyed how much of it was fairly queer, but I have to admit I definitely enjoy it with the alpha kids better. I imagine it's probably going to carry over to the beta kids and trolls once they get into the new session, but I just like it how it is for now :allears:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Glory of Arioch posted:

jane you need to sever

now

(I used to think things like this were coincidences. Heh.)

Wow, I just noticed that. Clearly, Jane is going to go all murderfiend on Jake in a stunning reversal of fate.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
My god, those expressions on Jane's face are just priceless. It's funny how one little word can perceptibly screw up everything she had hoped for.

Edit:

dumb brunette posted:

Wow, this "Jake mildly entertaining the idea of a relationship with Dirk" thing is seriously the last thing I expected to happen here.

It's a twist of fate, and of the dagger now promptly lodged in Jane's sternum(har har lifey thing), and I believe a very real possibility that he will choose Jake. But other hats aside from Jake's shirt, be they dead spider girl or otherwise, have been thrown in the ring. To eventually be mauled by Jane.

Jane, unlike her Dad or fedoraFreak, will not be fond of hats for long.

Glory of Arioch posted:

I theorize it's a part of Jake's Page of Hope powers to create hope in people around him, and himself. It helps explain why all these kids are HOPEFUL for a returned feelings from a poor, crush-saturated Jake. Who is mostly in the dark on it.

TOAST7312 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 21, 2012

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
I would feel bad for Jane, but she's kind of being a moron. :saddowns: There are all sorts of ways to pull this sort of thing off without actually being direct with the person, which she seems to want to avoid, but I guess those just aren't good enough for her.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I missed where Jane first talked about LIKE-liking Jake, so before I came to this thread between the last two updates, I assumed that her first funny face reaction thing was more "Oh god, I can't believe he's doing this."

Jake has the same element as Eridan, seeks romance like Eridan, and may possibly turn evil and gently caress everything up in the future like Eridan (or be turned evil by others loving everything up), but unlike Eridan, people have unrequited romantic feelings towards him.
Did we ever get a good description of what a "Page" does?

Unrelated, Rose doesn't strike me as the type to name her daughter "Roxy."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
YOU hosed IT UP JANE! YOU hosed IT UP!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL216IAVZ_M

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

Did we ever get a good description of what a "Page" does?

I think the best guess at this point is that it's thematically linked to Heir. Which... we don't have much info on, either, but one possible idea that's cropped up in regards to both of them is that they seem to be "growth" classes, starting out weak but eventually turning into some of the strongest classes in time. Although with the concept of the active/passive split maybe the Page is supposed to be more about helping those around you grow and become stronger? That fits in more with the definition of a page (who is receiving training and growing, yes, but works specifically as a helper and assistant) and also seems pretty appropriate to Tavros, the other Page player we've seen.

This is all just random speculation, though; the answer to this question is "No."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think the best guess at this point is that it's thematically linked to Heir. Which... we don't have much info on, either, but one possible idea that's cropped up in regards to both of them is that they seem to be "growth" classes, starting out weak but eventually turning into some of the strongest classes in time. Although with the concept of the active/passive split maybe the Page is supposed to be more about helping those around you grow and become stronger? That fits in more with the definition of a page (who is receiving training and growing, yes, but works specifically as a helper and assistant) and also seems pretty appropriate to Tavros, the other Page player we've seen.

That fits in with Tavros's FLARP class choice -- Aradia was saying that his class starts out weak, but grows into a powerful player later on. I guess it's kind of a far-fetched parallel, but it seems about right.

Jewasaurus
Aug 3, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Tips

Black Mage Knight posted:

More tips

Thanks guys, I fixed it up a bit and it works much better, and I had no clue about the 30kB limit on avatars as I have never had/made one, so hopefully I can make a better one next time I try.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Just be careful where you piss because the wind is blowin' thattaway.

I stand by what I said. :colbert:

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

I would feel bad for Jane, but she's kind of being a moron. :saddowns: There are all sorts of ways to pull this sort of thing off without actually being direct with the person, which she seems to want to avoid, but I guess those just aren't good enough for her.

she's not being a moron, she's being a teenager.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

she's not being a moron, she's being a teenager.

To be fair, the difference at times is rather subtle.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
I would probably be more upset at Jane failing so utterly at a romantic confession if this all wasn't occurring in the context of...everything that is occurring in Homestuck. Which is nice, because I can just laugh at Jane and relax this way.

But really, Jake is making a poor decision in entertaining Dirk's romantic advances. Dirk is a guy who thinks that having a robot Izuna Drop someone is appropriate courtship behavior. He thinks that being a nurturing parent is throwing a baby off a roof and kicking a 13 year old down the stairs. If he gets in actual romantic relationship with someone the crater left behind will be seen from space.
Jake, your life is already dangerous enough! Tell Dirk to put a lid on it until after the game!

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

Black Mage Knight posted:

I'd really like to snag that one if you don't mind?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Acidophilus posted:

I would probably be more upset at Jane failing so utterly at a romantic confession if this all wasn't occurring in the context of...everything that is occurring in Homestuck. Which is nice, because I can just laugh at Jane and relax this way.

But really, Jake is making a poor decision in entertaining Dirk's romantic advances. Dirk is a guy who thinks that having a robot Izuna Drop someone is appropriate courtship behavior. He thinks that being a nurturing parent is throwing a baby off a roof and kicking a 13 year old down the stairs. If he gets in actual romantic relationship with someone the crater left behind will be seen from space.
Jake, your life is already dangerous enough! Tell Dirk to put a lid on it until after the game!

But Jake's all about adventure so you're making it sound as if they'd be a perfect match.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

YF-23 posted:

But Jake's all about adventure so you're making it sound as if they'd be a perfect match.

I think the real issue is that "allows hope to build" meets "allows love to be stolen" sounds like a recipe for a catastrophically messy break-up down the line. Possibly involving the unwise weaponizing of the gigantic card in Jake's inventory. Basically, the fate of the universe now depends on Roxy's ability to cockblock the two of them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thundarr posted:

I think the real issue is that "allows hope to build" meets "allows love to be stolen" sounds like a recipe for a catastrophically messy break-up down the line. Possibly involving the unwise weaponizing of the gigantic card in Jake's inventory. Basically, the fate of the universe now depends on Roxy's ability to cockblock the two of them.

He already stole it from Jane. Just now.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I may be just a dummy with GIMP, but I've found that the grainy problem tends to happen when the image is scaled while Indexed rather than RGB.

I can't really help if you're doing this in photoshop, but in GIMP it's Image->Mode->RGB. If you need to reduce the size of the file, you can feel free to switch back to Indexed when you're done. It just has to be RGB when you're scaling it down to avatar size.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for future attempts!

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

tinaun posted:

Starting?

That outline is much thinner than the ones he's doing now.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

KoB posted:

He already stole it from Jane. Just now.

Unfortunately Jane kinda did that to herself. :smith:

Though if it was a cosmic consequence of Dirk's powers and not simply Jane being an awkward teenager, it just means they're running out if time to stop the romacalypse.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Saradiart posted:

That outline is much thinner than the ones he's doing now.
John: Examine mailbox.
Jane: Look out window.

======>
==>

Nothin' new.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

If you're using GIMP, you also need to unoptimize any animated GIFs you want to scale (Filter->Animation->Unoptimize), and then re-optimize them after you're done and ready to save the final version. If you don't, GIMP will shrink most of the frames fairly badly (since the only data in the frame is the difference between it and the previous frame).

If you do both of those things (unoptimize and turn off indexed colors) then that should solve the graininess problem entirely.

FrictionlessEmu fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 21, 2012

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
:blush: Oh right, I forgot about that part. Haven't worked with gifs in a while.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Thundarr posted:

I think the real issue is that "allows hope to build" meets "allows love to be stolen" sounds like a recipe for a catastrophically messy break-up down the line.

I think you mean "allows love to be destroyed destroys love"

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

king of no pants posted:

I'd really like to snag that one if you don't mind?

Well, seeing as I made it for anyone who wanted it, yeah, I don't mind.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Starmaker posted:

I think you mean "allows love to be destroyed destroys love"

Oops, you're right. How the gently caress did I mix up Dirk and Nepeta? :negative:

The corrected consequences are of course far, far worse.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, between what we've seen of Dirk in this session and what we've seen of him in the previous one, it wouldn't be out of line to suggest that the way he expresses his love for people is by trying to destroy them, with swords, robots, rap, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, between what we've seen of Dirk in this session and what we've seen of him in the previous one, it wouldn't be out of line to suggest that the way he expresses his love for people is by trying to destroy them, with swords, robots, rap, etc.

It's a natural progression of the kid in school who only picked on you because they like you.