Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm assuming that's why TG ran it with the tires it had on -- because the agreement with Ferrari was to use those and only those tires.
I'm amazed they were allowed to show it ending up in a snowbank. I wouldn't be surprised if they were told, in no uncertain terms, that the Bentley, too, must end up off-piste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Ecstatic posted:

All other automotive manufacturers realize this and make even their halo cars drivable by bankers, otherwise you simply get a reputation for making cars that kill CEO's.
Porsche got that reputation with the original 930 and, to a lesser extent, the Carrera GT. Doesn't seem to have hurt them too much.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ecstatic posted:

I don't think it can be done with todays high level of performance without being flatout dangerous. SSC and Henessey are both making ridiculous 1200 hp 1200 kg twin turbo V8's that can't be driven in any any form of anger on a public road, the thing kicks out at 250 kph+. Jerod Shelby says is next car will be developed at the Ring and I guarantee you they will total a car in the process.

All other automotive manufacturers realize this and make even their halo cars drivable by bankers, otherwise you simply get a reputation for making cars that kill CEO's.

And yet McLaren can do it with much less hp and then if you want to spend up grab a Veyron, that seems t be more than just a bit capable of restraining huge hp - Henessey and SSC are more about OMG look at my dick 1200 horsepowaaaaas! Lack of applied engineering nous and too much brute force.

BTW, how exactly do you think most Italian supercar makers got to be the legends they are? That would be killing CEO's at huge speeds getting their dicks sucked by supermodels. That's the drat point of a Supercar, to go through the Pearly Gates backwards on fire screaming "HOLY gently caress THAT WAS AWESOME!!!"

Frankly there's too much climate control and not enough out of control on fire /road head in modern Supercars. Besides, one less banking CEO, who gives a gently caress about them?

..... Annnnd thinking about it it appears Henessey and SSC are the ones actually making proper supercars now. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder how many supermodels fit in an SSC?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

Henessey and SSC are more about OMG look at my dick 1200 horsepowaaaaas!
Is Henessey the one with the really bad reputation for ripping people off on tuning work for Vipers etc?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

on fire [...] Supercars.

Ferrari seems to still be quite good at this one.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

The strobing lights on the slow-mo FF was awesome, reminded me of the strobes that a lot of drift cars have - completely pointless, but just look cool.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Stealth Like posted:

Ferrari seems to still be quite good at this one.

Pretty sure TG did a good 30 second bit on Gallardos on fire too. They're probably still very exciting, just a bit more reliable now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Is Henessey the one with the really bad reputation for ripping people off on tuning work for Vipers etc?

Yes. But then again Italian Supercar manufacturers also have a fine history of more than just a bit of shady poo poo / Mafia involvement

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

VolumeOverTalent posted:

The strobing lights on the slow-mo FF was awesome, reminded me of the strobes that a lot of drift cars have - completely pointless, but just look cool.
That's due to the LED daylight running lights which always strobe/pulse when filmed.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

neckbeard posted:

For over $100K it's not hard to see why they're [Fisker] running into problems financially. If that type of car/system could be deployed for somewhere in the $50-80K range, that'd be great, though it would mean they'd probably have to comprimise on all the organic materials and/or do some platform sharing and parts bin materials.
It looked like they were already delving into some parts bins. That turn signal stalk looked a hell of a lot like a recent GM piece.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Next week's Top Gear US looks like it should be awesome.

Looks like they have to take a notoriously dangerous car, 'fix' what made it dangerous, and enter it in a demo derby. Looks like the cars end up being a Pinto, a Corvair, and a Suzuki Samurai, which was shown rolling violently.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

And yet McLaren can do it with much less hp and then if you want to spend up grab a Veyron, that seems t be more than just a bit capable of restraining huge hp - Henessey and SSC are more about OMG look at my dick 1200 horsepowaaaaas! Lack of applied engineering nous and too much brute force.

Agree on the dick waving point from SSC & Henessey, but the Veyron has 4WD, weighs almost two and a half tonnes and has a host of traction/stability aids (air brakes etc). I assume on the Mclaren front you were talking about the F1 GTR, which was just crashed by Mr Bean a guy who has little bit of driving experience....

You won't see that from Porsche/Ferrari/Mclaren etc anymore, I mean look at the V8 atom, it's already gotten the moniker as "hard as hell to drive".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

Agree on the dick waving point from SSC & Henessey, but the Veyron has 4WD, weighs almost two and a half tonnes and has a host of traction/stability aids (air brakes etc). I assume on the Mclaren front you were talking about the F1 GTR, which was just crashed by Mr Bean a guy who has little bit of driving experience....

You won't see that from Porsche/Ferrari/Mclaren etc anymore, I mean look at the V8 atom, it's already gotten the moniker as "hard as hell to drive".

Right, so with the Veyron see comment about engineering and then reference LACK of engineering to Hennessey / SSC, it is completely possible to engineer stupid hp cars and be easy to drive at the same time - you dont even need to resort to ridulous extremes. The F1 also is also well known to actually be quite drivable and impeccably engineered - Mr Atkinson was.... shall we say .... driving enthusiastically. This in no way goes against the reputation the F1 has for being relatively easy to drive despite is performance.

The Atom however IS by all accounts a difficult vehicle to master in any form. That has much more to do with laws of physics and it's size. It however is no Supercar and not a CEO killer - it's as close to a true open wheeler race car as you can get away with on public road. It is NOT a car for supermodels. It is a car for .... well... people like me who go on and on and on about the banalities of steering, suspension and the evils of heavy thuggish V8's in what should be small precise sports cars but on the otherhand can steer a car far better than 99% of the population could dream of.

So - Supercars are for going off the road backwards in flames, Atoms are for flannel wearing dweebs to bore friends and relatives with. Supercars can be engineered well. Legend Supercars usually are very flawed indeed!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Cat Terrist posted:

The F1 also is also well known to actually be quite drivable
Not really. The F1 was notorious for high speed instability without the rear wing installed. I think I recall a top speed shootout for some major magazine (probably Road & Track or Car & Driver) where Michael Andretti came back in and refused to drive the F1 without the wing, and it only did ~210 MPH with the wing installed.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

You Am I posted:

That's due to the LED daylight running lights which always strobe/pulse when filmed.

Yeah I know, I've noticed it before, it just wasn't until I saw them on the FF while it was a bit sideways that I made the connection.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nomenclature posted:

Not really. The F1 was notorious for high speed instability without the rear wing installed. I think I recall a top speed shootout for some major magazine (probably Road & Track or Car & Driver) where Michael Andretti came back in and refused to drive the F1 without the wing, and it only did ~210 MPH with the wing installed.

I have never heard of said issue, all instances I've read or heard recalls that the F1 was a very good car to drive either in the city or giving it hell and certainly no where near the handful to master of it's high speed contemporaries like the F40

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ecstatic posted:

I assume on the Mclaren front you were talking about the F1 GTR, which was just crashed by Mr BeanRowan Atkinson a guy who has little bit of driving experience....

Be honest, would you trust this man to drive an F1?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I come bearing gifs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CanOfMDAmp posted:

It's from a technology called Pulse Width Modulation, or PWM. It's a method for "dimming" LED lights.

Muffinpox posted:

LEDs pulse to control their brightness, it shows up even in non-slow mo.

Cakefool posted:

Why were the lights on the ff flashing? It wasn't just the slo-mo shots or I would have thought it was pwm brightness controls.

Did anyone read what I wrote? :psyduck:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cakefool posted:

It's just hazard lights when accelerating or braking past a certain rate right? Not some fancy science dick waving explanation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ColHannibal posted:

It's just hazard lights when accelerating or braking past a certain rate right? Not some fancy science dick waving explanation.
No. Cakefool is correct.

The automatic hazards, or flashing of brake lights, under heavy braking is a thing with new cars, but that's not what you're seeing here.

Canary Yellow
Sep 18, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

I have never heard of said issue, all instances I've read or heard recalls that the F1 was a very good car to drive either in the city or giving it hell and certainly no where near the handful to master of it's high speed contemporaries like the F40

Sorry I don't have links to back this up either, but I remember reading that there was/is a range of speed where it's terrifying to drive. Like at anything up to 200mph and close to top (230-240mph) it was fine, but at 210-220 it's violent.

Edit: apparently a suspension/tyre issue...
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=226933

Canary Yellow fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 23, 2012

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

InitialDave posted:

No. Cakefool is correct.

The automatic hazards, or flashing of brake lights, under heavy braking is a thing with new cars, but that's not what you're seeing here.
I agree, if it was hazard flashing when hard breaking they would be more evenly timed and not as rapid. Also not sure if they should flash when "parked":

I suck at optimizing/compressing gifs so i'll only link it
http://i.imgur.com/2F4TP.gif

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sormus posted:

I agree, if it was hazard flashing when hard breaking they would be more evenly timed and not as rapid. Also not sure if they should flash when "parked":

I suck at optimizing/compressing gifs so i'll only link it
http://i.imgur.com/2F4TP.gif

That's the standard "oh gently caress I'm a supercar stuck in the now" blink, actually.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
But this one isn't even on fire.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Eh, I thought it just sounded weird without the first half.

ColHannibal posted:

Nope, in this case it's an optical illusion i.e. the exact same fancy 30th century Dickwave science that they use to make cars on tv move forwards while their wheels spin backwards.

Sormus posted:

Yea, if it was hazards both the right and left headlight would shut off at the same time and remain off for a little bit. Also I think hazards are required to be yellow blinkers up front.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 22, 2012

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So... that Fisker, is real. As in, you can buy it. TODAY. There's one at my local Volvo dealer. f

Ak Gara posted:

Ferrari have forgotten what made the F40 great. When you drove an F40, it was YOU doing it, not you suggesting to a computer that you'd maybe like to change gear now if that's okay with the committee.

It's one of the reasons I want to own a TVR Chimaera/Griffith. 1 ton car + 5 litre engine with zero traction control, no ABS, and the airbag is whatever bag of popcorn you was eating at the time.

Real human driven cars are soon to be extinct. ... It saddens me.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nerobro posted:

So... that Fisker, is real. As in, you can buy it. TODAY. There's one at my local Volvo dealer. f

Real human driven cars are soon to be extinct. ... It saddens me.

I actually saw a Fisker on the road at UC Berkeley campus last week, it makes a really cool noise just tooling along. It is also beautiful, pictures don't do it justice. For some reason I thought or had more power but there wasn't any chance to open it up in Berkeley.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CornHolio posted:

You guys should really be watching Top Gear US. This is hilarious. I can't believe i'm enjoying this better than the original.

Yep, sad to say but I think the US version is actually a better show. The guests actually care about cars rather than being some random celeb pushing their poo poo movie, the scripted bits are less obviously scripted, and I don't have to suffer Clarkson and Hammond being giant loving cunts who need to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Brock Samson did an impressive lap in TGUS this week

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Dr JonboyG posted:

I don't have to suffer Clarkson and Hammond being giant loving cunts who need to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

At what point in time do you stop watching?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ZippySLC posted:

He only watches the parts that only include James May, a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QypmXbwD1k

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ZippySLC posted:

When my wife stops watching.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

echoplex posted:

The Fenton thing was legitimately funny.

I'm still laughing at this. And anything Brian Johnson does makes me so happy. He looked sooooo out of place in the Fisker.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
That shot with the Boss drifting around that huge bend on TGUS was glorious. Tanner can be a douche but the dude can certainly drive.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Killbot posted:

That shot with the Boss drifting around that huge bend on TGUS was glorious. Tanner can be a douche but the dude can certainly drive.

He's like the surprisingly old bastard lovechild of James May and a Stig.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They really need to get someone else to be the Stig. It's quite clearly Tanner. It's a little short dude driving the two mustangs in the feature. And then Tanner conveniently loses the top speed challenge to match Stig's time by not even doing a lap.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Or they should eliminate the Stig and just have Tanner set the times.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
but then they wouldn't have the stig.

Tanner driving stuff is my favorite part of the US version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Killbot posted:

Unf yes. GIF anybody?