Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

rope kid posted:

As long as you can make late-game pistols competitive with late-game rifles, shotguns, and sniper weapons, sure. That said, four skills is a lot just to cover guns, essentially.

Could be some interesting ways to do that. Make them reload faster, jam less, aim steadier (increase requirements on the rifles), cost less to buy and repair. I don't know if there's a way to do it, but having a VATS bonus (the spirit of quickdraws and trick shooting) in close quarters, too, could be neat for one-handed weapons; or even build in a light version of that one perk that lets your accuracy increase the longer you fire on a single target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

rope kid posted:

RE: the rest of your post: another approach (that I took for Van Buren) would be to have a single Firearms skill.

Something like that. It worked for JA2.
As long as you can make late-game pistols competitive with late-game rifles, shotguns, and sniper weapons, sure. That said, four skills is a lot just to cover guns, essentially.

rope kid posted:

Yo dawgs I wrote some (more) words about Fallout weapons and weapon skills on my blog if u care --,--'-@

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/02/fallout-weapon-skills.html

What I find so fascinating is that we're obviously making the transition from RPGs with a wide variety of very specific skills to RPGs with fewer options (but each encompassing a broader range.) Streamlining, essentially. You look at a game like Morrowind--with its Unarmed, Short Blades, Long Blades, Spears, Axes, Blunt, Marksman--and then Oblivion, which possessed a simpler skill set that felt, arguably, shallow. Then you look at Skyrim, which has Oblivion's simpler skill set but has also found ways to add depth to each skill and allow a level of customization that makes up for all of the cuts that have been made since Morrowind (the Perk Trees.)

I think it's all a leftover from pen and paper days, when you could build characters with such esoteric skills. As games have evolved, we've figured out that it's not very fun to be stuck with a character who fills such a specific role, especially if we don't have the time to craft a world that can be fully enjoyed by each skill and role. "I can run around all day shooting small pistols and picking conventional locks, but for some reason, rifles malfunction in my hands and I'll never be able to hack a computer."

JA2 (especially with 1.13) can use the "coolness" tier system because there are so many aspects to every gun. The weight, aiming levels, the cost to ready, the acceptable attachments, the fire modes, etc. Guns from Tier 3 can outperform guns from Tier 5 or 6 with the right ammo, attachments, and hands. The last point is important: the Mercs are the ones shooting the guns, not the player. When you get a player's actual skill involved in the game (their ability to aim, strafe around opponents, and generally play the game like an FPS), I imagine it becomes difficult to balance weapons, especially with the system Fallout 3 and NV currently has. The whole "aim wobble" from falling short of STR requirements is negligible and doesn't inhibit the FPS player in any meaningful way. Written the way they are, FO3 and NV can't really hold a candle to the depth of JA2's combat or give incentives to continue using one Tier of weapons after another has opened up. Thus, it's inevitable that the player pursues Tier 6 weapons over Tier 5 so that they can strafe around and spam enemies like it's CoD.

For me, all of this ranting is to draw a couple of conclusions:

1. Streamlining (in this case, reducing the variety of) weapons skills will only result in a more compelling and balanced game if that extra "Skyrim" layer exists for each skill, and that the relationship between Perks and specific weapons is improved. In other words, it isn't enough to go, Perk requires "Firearms 50" and gives +10% DMG to all firearms. If there is only one firearms category, the personality must come from the Perks that are unlocked by putting skillpoints into firearms. EDIT: Your blog suggest we've arrived at similar conclusions concerning this.

2. The way guns currently work in FO3 and NV, it's inevitable that the player will blindly pursue top tier weapons and favor rifles over pistols, abandoning anything even remotely inferior. Because you are working with the constraints of an FPS, it's difficult to provide tangible benefits for statistically inferior weapons. This leads to that familiar, boring effect where all players are funneled into using the same three weapons because they are simply the best. There are no "raising / aiming" costs (VATS AP, but like STR and "Weapon Wobble", this is negligible).

Given the Gamebryo engine, one of the best ways to compensate for this is to give added depth to weapons where aspects already exist: Re-introduce firing jams, increase reliability on simpler weapons, give energy weapons "critical failures" if not maintained, etc. Add greater emphasis to critical chance and damage, as well as the STR requirement of weapons. Play around with firing modes. Things of this nature. Many players are simple, and pay attention to only one value: Damage. Trying to imitate the weapon personalities in games like JA2 might make some players value the reliable gun over the powerful one; the simple weapon over the complex, "sets you on fire if damaged" plasma rifle.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 17, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Personally, I think people put way too much emphasis on min-maxing, especially regarding things like weapons and armor. Am I one of the few people that will stick with weapons and armor that I like better visually even if it's inferior stat-wise? I stuck with ebony weapons and armor in Skyrim for the entire game because dragonbone and daedric didn't appeal to me.

I don't really mind the existing weapon system in FNV because it allows for more open role playing. Even in this thread, I've seen plenty of people stating that they were going to do a scientist play through who uses energy weapons and fixes stuff and hacks computers. Those people likely never use a powder weapon even if there's one better than what they're using.

Honestly, it also sounds to me like people are also putting too much real world logic into a game world as well - energy weapons should be powerful one shot one kill type weapons because ~lasers~ is just silly. If they're gonna be powerful or top tier weapons, in my mind there should be downsides to using them be it unreliability, high level of maintenance and difficulty of parts, limited ammo, risk of personal injury, etc.

No matter what though, I hope you don't decide that streamlining things is a viable solution though ropekid. Skyrim streamlined too many things IMO and while it's a massive success and I'm sure there's going to be lots of pressure to compete with that success by imitation, I really would be disappointed if FO4 or whatever ended up pulling a DX2 where you have some kind of universal ammo or three different ammo types with the same tiered weapon and armor system where one is arbitrarily more powerful than the other... just because it is, without any consideration for the actual role playing in the RPG.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Naky posted:

Personally, I think people put way too much emphasis on min-maxing, especially regarding things like weapons and armor. Am I one of the few people that will stick with weapons and armor that I like better visually even if it's inferior stat-wise? I stuck with ebony weapons and armor in Skyrim for the entire game because dragonbone and daedric didn't appeal to me.

I'm the same way. I played the overwhelming majority of Skyrim wearing the Novice Robes you find in the tutorial dungeon even though I was playing a Thief. I find myself using the .357 long past it's usefulness in NV as well, the reload animation is so sexy :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Naky posted:

Most of the time when I play New Vegas I end up wearing some kind of Merc Outfit through a lot of the game, at least until I reach Honest Hearts and Joshua Graham's Armor takes it's place. On the other hand, I rarely ever use Power Armor because I think it makes the player character look... out of place just about everywhere, especially since no one comments on it. Even in Fallout 3 I usually find myself wearing Combat Armor at the most.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Naky posted:

No matter what though, I hope you don't decide that streamlining things is a viable solution though ropekid. Skyrim streamlined too many things IMO and while it's a massive success and I'm sure there's going to be lots of pressure to compete with that success by imitation, I really would be disappointed if FO4 or whatever ended up pulling a DX2 where you have some kind of universal ammo or three different ammo types with the same tiered weapon and armor system where one is arbitrarily more powerful than the other... just because it is, without any consideration for the actual role playing in the RPG.

I agree that Streamlining doesn't always equal better. It makes it easier to min/max, yes, but if your game REQUIRES min-maxing to win, then your game is probably way too hard (note: you can always have super difficult optional content to appeal to the more hardcore players).

One of the reasons I like using the Armory mod is because the huge amount of weapons added really destroys the obvious tiering, so it makes weapon choice based more on availability and preference rather than because weapon Y > weapon X. I would much prefer that FO4 was more like STALKER than Skyrim.

That said, I do like the general idea of rolling together energy and guns, and instead splitting up skills along the lines of "precision and automatic" or "offensive and defensive" or however it breaks down. I think part of the trouble with Fallout 3 and NV being FPSes is that weapon skills just feel out of place in general - why do I need an arbitrary "skill" rating for my character when the game can just use my skill as a player to determine if I hit or not? In that sense, I'm not opposed to reducing or eliminating the set of weapon skills, and instead making weapons more distinct by how they actually feel to use rather than because they arbitrarily fall into category A or category B.

One other consideration that could be used for guns vs. energy weapons: bullets are projectiles, and thus have a travel time and are affected by gravity. Lasers, meanwhile, are functionally autohit since they travel at the speed of light. Likewise, bullets are pushed by physical force, which means recoil, while lasers are not. The range you fight most of the time in NV is unfortunately kind of close, so travel time of bullets doesn't really factor in much, but if you played with the numbers for projectiles you could make that a more meaningful difference. I think there is a mod or modder's resource on the Nexus for adding recoil to weapons (actual screen shifting recoil, not simply raising weapon spread), so that could be applied to firearms. The main thing here would be that guns are more difficult to use since you have recoil and need to lead targets at long range, but simple to maintain because the parts are all very basic. Energy weapons meanwhile are the opposite, being highly accurate (plasma is a projectile, but incredibly light so it wouldn't really have recoil, and would cancel out gravity by being lighter than air), but being prone to malfunction due to the Wasteland conditions wreaking havoc on the fine instruments, and being difficult to repair due to the complexity of the pieces.

*edit*

The idea of Strength being tied to guns while Int being tied to energy is a good one too. At the very least, it would be easy to set it up so that guns, in general, have higher strength requirements than energy weapons, because of things like ammo weight, metal parts, recoil, etc.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 18, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I think what might be a better compromise is a pairing of the merged skill and a stat. For example, you have an overall gun skill where energy weapons and projectile weapons are combined. Getting better at projectile weapons would require better strength (especially to handle big guns like miniguns), whereas energy weapons would get paired with intelligence since you should have a higher knowledge of how to work your weapon, make use of its AoE effects, etc. They're not as simple as projectile weapons and require more knowledge to use.

That in combination with perk selection for specialization would allow players to still roleplay and use the weapons of their choice while eliminating some redundancy.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

quote:

That said, I do like the general idea of rolling together energy and guns, and instead splitting up skills along the lines of "precision and automatic" or "offensive and defensive" or however it breaks down. I think part of the trouble with Fallout 3 and NV being FPSes is that weapon skills just feel out of place in general - why do I need an arbitrary "skill" rating for my character when the game can just use my skill as a player to determine if I hit or not? In that sense, I'm not opposed to reducing or eliminating the set of weapon skills, and instead making weapons more distinct by how they actually feel to use rather than because they arbitrarily fall into category A or category B.

I *really* agree with this. In the first two games, it felt like I was making a real sacrifice if I didn't level a combat skill. In F3 and NV (NV to a lesser degree, but still very present), I really don't give much of a poo poo. On the PC, if you have decent skill yourself in playing games, it's not hard to hit people.
Yes, there is tremendous sway on some weapons. But if you're close to the enemy you can either just spray if it's an automatic weapon or VATS the enemy if it's not (if an enemy is close, you almost always get good VATs chances).
If you're far away... Yes, something it's hard to hit. But generally it takes enemies a really long time to get to where you are anyways if you sneak up and start shooting at long distances.

And with accuracy being such a non-issue, the thing that seems to matter the most is just getting your hands on a good weapon. A Gauss Rifle will destroy almost everything if your Energy Weapons skill is in the 10s. And getting your hands on a good weapon in New Vegas is not some staked out path like getting the Power Armor right in FO2. It's not hard to stumble upon a good/great weapon.

I understand the reasons for this as a lot of people hate it when skill-points affect your accuracy too much in FPS games. But it's still a big loss from the older games I think.

It's like... investing into Speech or Science for examples unlocks things in the game, makes you feel special. Investing into the combat skills feels... really trivial because of how combat in these games work.

Overall though, I liked the changes to the skills in NV. Adding Survival and getting rid of Big Guns (putting those weapons into other skills). I think Guns and Energy Weapons feel like a good distinction though personally. If anything, I'd rather spend time trying to figure out how to further differentiate the workings of Guns and EWs from one another rather than going for precision vs automatic. Because, like it was pointed out, I think it hurts character concept phase a bit. If I think of an Energy Weapons character, the concept tends to be very different rather than a Guns character. It fires up my imagination way more than an automatic vs precision distinction would.

I could see mashing Unarmed and Melee together. At the same time... I think that works right now as well. The last thing I would want in Fallout is having a smaller number of skills overall to choose from. I want to scratch my head at character creation, I want that to be a big choice, I want to think a bit where I toss my skill points, I want to feel encouraged to think up character concepts. If I got another meaningful skill not related to combat, then I would gladly accept that trade-off (outside of the scope of a mod probably but I'm talking the games in general I suppose).

All in all, I'd much rather have some redundancy here and there (as long as there *is* a use for said skill in the game) rather than feel constricted at character creation. A lot of people dislike Arcanum's character creation (don't get me wrong, I think there are plenty of problems with it myself) because they feel melee and magic is very unbalanced vs firearms and so forth. But I think it's still incredibly worth it despite the balancing. Being able to play a gunslinger in a top-hat, a hulking melee brute or an intelligent mage (focusing in one of many schools), and having them feel different. That is more valuable to me than each skill being able to go toe-to-toe with the others. Don't get me wrong, I think Arcanum *could* use a fair amount of balancing, but I love the freedom of choice and how different you can make each playthrough feel.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 18, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Leinadi posted:

:words:

Agreed, a thing like gun skill works better in a game like Fallout 1 or 2, where 3+NV are more like an FPS with Inventory and the ability to talk to NPCs tacked on. Only thing to make gun skills more relevant is to make them into a dice roll like it was in Morrowind, so that you can hit but you actually don't if your skill is low enough. Because you can't see the bullets anyways and because there's sway it wouldn't be so silly in a game like NV, that being said, it ain't gonna happen.

I'm generally against streamlining Stats. Skyrims perk system does work but it's also kind of boring with time. Thinking any Computer RPG will try to be different from Skyrim now with its huge success is probably sadly wishful thinking though seeing that companies never try anything different if they found a sweet spot they can milk for a few years. And no, I don't even want to call this natural progression/evolution. It is what it is for reasons of profit and nothing else.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 18, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Side note from the weapons discussion, has anybody looked at Fallout Project Brazil? It sound like a really ambitious worldspace mod, but unlike a lot of these doomed-to-fail projects, the screenshots in this look really good (in my opinion.)

I mean, come on:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 18, 2012

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
There's all this talk about bringing powerful weapons down through "annoying" factors like jamming and malfunctioning, but wouldn't it be a whole lot smarter to bring the weak weapons up?

No one plays games to be annoyed. If there's a game mechanic that can potentially annoy me, then I'm going to do whatever I can to minimize its effect so I can just get on with playing the game. However, New Vegas did have problems where a lot of weapons were either outclassed in every respect by readily available alternatives or only had a very narrow window where they were a good choice. In a hypothetical overhaul, there does need to be some factors introduced so that there are more interesting choices.

Streamlined stats, incidentally, have very little effect in this circumstance if specific weapons are implemented well. Ultimately, you're still making a decision of one of the top-tier choices; streamlining stats only lets you put off the decision for longer. You shouldn't punish players for wanting to use cool weapons. If the best weapons aren't cool, then that's a design fault. Full disclosure: I have a habit of optimizing my characters almost unconsciously in RPGs. Did you know that with Improved Criticals, Paciencia does as much damage on a critical hit as an Anti-Materiel Rifle?

The important thing is that the top tier of weapons is a broad category where each weapon excels at different things.

You can't turn too far to reality to mine interesting choices. In reality, if you're expecting to get into a shootout, then you're always going to favor a rifle over a handgun or a shotgun. In game design, you'll want to keep all of those as viable but distinct options, since they're all convenient cultural shorthands you can use to communicate with your audience. Most people broadly know the difference between a rifle and a shotgun, and intuitively know how they'll handle differently in the game. The same isn't true for, say, the difference between an HK33 and a Galil.

Unfortunately, New Vegas doesn't have a whole lot of ways to actually distinguish weapons. You've pretty much got damage, spread and attack speed as the big differences. The addition of recoil, stance-determined stats and secondary fire modes would all be huge expansions to the design space, but you've gotta work with what you've got.

You can keep the Energy Weapons/Guns, but you'd have to change the Energy Weapons so that they don't feel like guns with expensive special effects. Examples that come immediately to mind:
  • Plasma rifle projectiles are much slower and are affected by gravity, but they bounce off of hard surfaces for several seconds.
  • The Tri-Beam Laser Rifle fires at the end of a relatively long attack animation, rather than at the beginning (I don't know if this is practical, to be honest).
  • Laser Rifles consume increasingly more ammunition if fired too quickly. Damage increases as well, but at less than a 1:1 ratio.
  • The Laser Gatling Gun applies a stacking but very short-lived debuff on its targets, reducing DT.
Basically, the idea is to introduce "oddball" effects to energy weapons. Each one has a little trick to using it that distinguishes it from its Guns counterpart.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Male Man posted:

:words:
  • Plasma rifle projectiles are much slower and are affected by gravity, but they bounce off of hard surfaces for several seconds.
  • The Tri-Beam Laser Rifle fires at the end of a relatively long attack animation, rather than at the beginning (I don't know if this is practical, to be honest).
  • Laser Rifles consume increasingly more ammunition if fired too quickly. Damage increases as well, but at less than a 1:1 ratio.
  • The Laser Gatling Gun applies a stacking but very short-lived debuff on its targets, reducing DT.
Basically, the idea is to introduce "oddball" effects to energy weapons. Each one has a little trick to using it that distinguishes it from its Guns counterpart.

"Annoying" things have their place, and shouldn't be ignored just because they're negative features. They're the game's way of telling you to fix your poo poo, or put more points into a given skill. I'll admit, if implemented poorly, they're awful--nobody wants a revolver to jam three times in a row because they don't have a high enough weapons skill. But things like weapon jams don't preclude bringing up the weak weapons, either. You can--and should--have both.

I like the concept of giving each flavor of energy weapon personality. It would go a long way towards distinguishing conventional weapons from energy weapons, given the fact that the game's an FPS and there's only so much you can do with the guns without implementing complex scripts and rebuilding poo poo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there not already a "lasers hurt biological, plasma hurts robots/power armor" thing already going on in the game? Or did I only imagine that?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

fennesz posted:

I find myself using the .357 long past it's usefulness in NV as well, the reload animation is so sexy :allears:

I still can't figure out how to do that with my own gun. Courier must have some looong rear end fingers or something :iiam:

E:

Oh, the cylinder moves counterclockwise on the .357/Lucky. That would help a lot. :ms:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 18, 2012

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Side note from the weapons discussion, has anybody looked at Fallout Project Brazil? It sound like a really ambitious worldspace mod, but unlike a lot of these doomed-to-fail projects, the screenshots in this look really good (in my opinion.)

I mean, come on:

Wow, that's pretty fantastic. The development bible is worth a read as well. Even if this project is completed I don't see it being finished for years. The first chapter alone has a projected completion date of December and that's only the opening 25 minutes. :stare:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there not already a "lasers hurt biological, plasma hurts robots/power armor" thing already going on in the game? Or did I only imagine that?

That's simply an effect of the DT system, which has higher DT values for robots and power armor and plasma projectiles simply dealing more damage.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That makes sense.

So here's a screenshot of what my attempt at a pimp boy skin ending up looking like in-game: http://puu.sh/hnD1 Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Also, has anyone made a Johnny Five Aces as a companion mod yet? If not, why the hell not?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Light Gun Man posted:

Some mods add "EMP" effects to various weapons so that they're better against robots and power armor.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mean, come on:

So its Modern Fallout engine in Los Angeles? This looks amazing. :aaa:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Light Gun Man posted:

So here's a screenshot of what my attempt at a pimp boy skin ending up looking like in-game: http://puu.sh/hnD1 Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Have you messed with the .nif at all? Are you saving the .dds as DXT5? Are you just editing the original texture or did you create a new one from scratch? It looks like either some funky, messed up UV-mapping was involved or you're saving the texture with the wrong options selected. If you could grab a screen of the save settings I'm sure someone would be able to figure out what's wrong, but I can't promise anything myself, since I only have limited experience.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=45104

Does anyone use this that can speak about it? Seems like a pretty big no-brainer to use. I have another question actually,

Do you guys use NVMM for Vegas or is that a Skyrim type of deal mostly? It seems pretty useful, especially the back-up of files that a mod replaces/deletes.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I don't bother with NVMM because I some mods that can't be found on Nexus, including my own. Plus I like using FNVEdit and the other tools that comes with FOMM. Maybe NVMM comes with them too, I dunno.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Vivec posted:

Does anyone use this that can speak about it? Seems like a pretty big no-brainer to use. I have another question actually,

Do you guys use NVMM for Vegas or is that a Skyrim type of deal mostly? It seems pretty useful, especially the back-up of files that a mod replaces/deletes.

NVMM? The mod manager for New Vegas is FOMM (Fallout Mod Manger)--there was an 'NVMM' that was around right after NV came out, though. The most recent versions of FOMM are compatible with both FO3 and NV, and it's pretty much required if you intend on modding your game. Unless you're talking about the Nexus Mod Manager?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
NMM doesn't have all of the functions that FOMM does, and not all of NV's mods are compatible with NMM.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

NVMM? The mod manager for New Vegas is FOMM (Fallout Mod Manger)--there was an 'NVMM' that was around right after NV came out, though. The most recent versions of FOMM are compatible with both FO3 and NV, and it's pretty much required if you intend on modding your game. Unless you're talking about the Nexus Mod Manager?

NMM is what I meant, yeah. The nexus one. Seems like it has a lot of useful features that would be a big utility for modding gamebryo in general.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Vivec posted:

Does anyone use this that can speak about it? Seems like a pretty big no-brainer to use.

I run mission mojave alongside NV error corrections: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

Apparently there are a lot of crossovers concerning the fixes, but somehow my game manages to run just fine(YMMV). I don't have any of the DLCs either. If I were starting a new game, I would probably upgrade NVEC to the latest version (2.6b at this time) and not even bother with running MM until there's a compatibility patch, which the author claims he is working on. I only say this because I prefer all the essential mod inclusions. MM claims to be a 'clean' fix by not altering anything in the gameplay, but I quite like having the water bottle mod and map marker for Contreras (because if I have to walk through that loving terminal one more time...)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I recently reinstalled to play again, and I have all my old mods except one I can't find. I had a mod that let me set a custom location to be considered "home" to send companions to, anyone remember the name of it? I couldn't find it on the OP and searching nexus didn't seem to work either.

RE: Style vs min maxing. While I prefer style with guns (don't ever see my armor in first person), I generally think the more advanced guns look better anyways. The main exception is the hunting shotgun, which I never replace with that silly barrel fed thing.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
You know, there's some good WIP stuff in the nexus. I'm wondering if someone could take them and finish them.

For example, this gear mod: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=42839

One of the reasons I wanted to start messing around with blender was so I could make a gear mod in the style of Vietnam-Era gear for the NCR to use. I never could make heads or tails of blender or 3DsMax, though and I'm too lazy.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Light Gun Man posted:

Also, has anyone made a Johnny Five Aces as a companion mod yet? If not, why the hell not?

Use the Wild Wasteland perk and you'll find out why :tinfoil:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kodo posted:

Use the Wild Wasteland perk and you'll find out why :tinfoil:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, he is already right there in the game. Give him that throwing aces weapon and a goonmade voice pack and there you go.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, he is already right there in the game. Give him that throwing aces weapon and a goonmade voice pack and there you go.

A goonmade voice pack sounds more hilarious than molerat boobs.

Has anybody seen this mod yet? http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=39058

It's the AI module from XFO made indepentent of XFO. I already use one called Modified Combat Values that makes NPCs act a bit tactical during combat, mostly regarding the way they use their weapons. This one seems to do much more than that, and does it in a larger way.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ace Oliveira posted:

Has anybody seen this mod yet? http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=39058

It's the AI module from XFO made indepentent of XFO. I already use one called Modified Combat Values that makes NPCs act a bit tactical during combat, mostly regarding the way they use their weapons. This one seems to do much more than that, and does it in a larger way.

Thanks for this, the AI really is improved, I'm impressed.

In terms of mods, I'm not sure if it's possible but I'm going to begin work on a port of the Oblivion Graphics Extender for New Vegas.
Unfortunately it isn't simple because some of the NVSE functions are different and unlike OBSE it contains no shader functions (and I asked the NVSE team for clarification with no response).

I'll update this with any progress. I'm going to have to add new functions into NVSE for one thing. Does NVSE still get updated these days or can I safely make my own 'version' without screwing things up for people?

If anyone with C/C++ experience wants to take a look at the project let me know and I'll send you all the code along with how I think it could be made to work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This is semi-off topic, but does anyone have mp3s of some of OWB's voice work, especially Mobius and his shtick with "ROBOSCORPIONS" ?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

computer parts posted:

This is semi-off topic, but does anyone have mp3s of some of OWB's voice work, especially Mobius and his shtick with "ROBOSCORPIONS" ?

Do you plan on making a sound board? I hope you are making a sound board.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Clinton1011 posted:

Do you plan on making a sound board? I hope you are making a sound board.

I was more thinking just messaging notifications, but a soundboard doesn't look that hard to do, honestly, so who knows.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

computer parts posted:

You can extract the audio files yourself. Just open "Old World Blues - Main.bsa" with FOMM, navigate to sounds -> voice -> oldworldblues.esm -> nvdlc03maleuniquemobius and type ogg to the search box. Select all the files, click "Extract" and choose the folder you want to extract them to.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I use the Stealth Suit's 'Sneaky Sneaky Sneaky' for a ringtone.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Does anyone understand the voodoo by which the dialog system works? Specifically, I really liked it that when you met Caesar for the first time, he would say different lines based on the quests you had completed for NCR/Legion. I wanted to make a quest with dialogue like that, but I can't figure out the structure at all. I don't know how to go directly from one topic to another without player input, and how to have multiple lines in a topic play with one selection.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Swartz posted:

I'll update this with any progress. I'm going to have to add new functions into NVSE for one thing. Does NVSE still get updated these days or can I safely make my own 'version' without screwing things up for people?

At this point you should be fine. The last significant patch dropped ~9 months ago and things have quieted down since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Ace Oliveira posted:

Is this compatible with Project Nevada? I can't tell from the crappy comments section.