Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

My Linux Rig posted:

So similar as in "does the same thing, kind of, but you have to open a terminal and".

This.

It was added and even had a GUI for it but for some stupid rear end reason Google removed but left the ADB interface for it behind.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
At least it isn't iTunes for Windows.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Frozen-Solid posted:

My new tablet should be here today. Here's what the busted one looks like right now:

:negative:

Anyone dealt with Squaretrade before? What are the odds of them actually fixing this?

You don't seriously think they'll fix that do you? Hint: they'll take one look at it & bin it.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

IT Guy posted:

At least it isn't iTunes for Windows.

Not that iTunes for OS X is very good either. Still, beats the command line for the vast majority of people.

You know it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a cross-platform UI that wraps around using 'adb backup' to manage Android devices.. I think I'll look into this.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Glimm posted:

Not that iTunes for OS X is very good either. Still, beats the command line for the vast majority of people.

You know it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a cross-platform UI that wraps around using 'adb backup' to manage Android devices.. I think I'll look into this.

I won't disagree that the CLI is terrible for the majority of users.

You'd think that iTunes being integrated into pretty much everything Apple would be better. I can't begin to describe how difficult it is for an average user to manage multiple devices or multiple computers with it.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
How? You plug devices in and they show up in the sidebar and tick to sync over Wifi if you want it. Hell, my 70 year old dad can manage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're not doing the "angry opinions about Apple based on misinformation or old impressions" derail this week, thanks.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We're not doing the "angry opinions about Apple based on misinformation or old impressions" derail this week, thanks.

Can I still angrily post about Google finally implementing an actual desktop backup interface and then later half rear end removing it?

:argh:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

got dat wmd posted:

How? You plug devices in and they show up in the sidebar and tick to sync over Wifi if you want it. Hell, my 70 year old dad can manage.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said a single user. What I meant to say was having a Family with multiple devices or multiple computers (and multiple apple accounts).

edit: Didn't see Sex Parrots post, this will be my last one on iTunes.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can I still angrily post about Google finally implementing an actual desktop backup interface and then later half rear end removing it?

I'm guessing they want you to back up to ~*the cloud*~, which maybe is in the works and they didn't want to confuse users with an intermediate system. That's probably giving Google too much credit, though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm guessing they want you to back up to ~*the cloud*~, which maybe is in the works and they didn't want to confuse users with an intermediate system. That's probably giving Google too much credit, though.

If it's anything like how apps are supposed to restore themselves on a fresh install it will work exactly 5% of the time. I CAN'T WAIT.

Wasn't it leaked that Google was doing some sort of cloud storage thing soon? Drive-something-or-another?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If it's anything like how apps are supposed to restore themselves on a fresh install it will work exactly 5% of the time. I CAN'T WAIT.

Wasn't it leaked that Google was doing some sort of cloud storage thing soon? Drive-something-or-another?

Drive is supposed to bring all of your cloud stuff together in one place, so your music, documents, etc… all share the same space. Another reason for the unified privacy policy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Actually it really does back up apps and app data, without the apps having to opt into Google Cloud Sync(TM) or whatever it's called that only 5% of apps have chosen to opt into.

Agreed that it's presently an awful ugly command-line-only hack of a feature. Hopefully in the future there will be some kind of syncing to your Google Drive or whatever they're rumored to be working on.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Did this actually happen? Just about the only concrete thing you can infer from random G+ Android Googler comments on the subject is that a companion GUI for regular people was in the pipeline for ICS, but they ran out of time so left in the ADB interface for developers/advanced users.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rastor posted:

Actually it really does back up apps and app data, without the apps having to opt into Google Cloud Sync(TM) or whatever it's called that only 5% of apps have chosen to opt into.

Agreed that it's presently an awful ugly command-line-only hack of a feature. Hopefully in the future there will be some kind of syncing to your Google Drive or whatever they're rumored to be working on.

That's the problem. On Day Zero GNex media phones there was a graphical option in Settings that was supposed to tie into the adb back up command but for some janky reason Google removed it. I have a hard time believing they want to go all cloud on something like that. That's a big chunk of data.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google lets you upload, for free, up to 20,000 MP3s and an unlimited number of photos up to 2048 pixels along the longest edge. They really seem to want a really huge amount of data in the cloud.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rastor posted:

Google lets you upload, for free, up to 20,000 MP3s and an unlimited number of photos up to 2048 pixels along the longest edge. They really seem to want a really huge amount of data in the cloud.

I'm talking about data of cellular although I guess it would be pretty trivial to make sure there's a warning dialog with the option to connect wifi.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Cakefool posted:

You don't seriously think they'll fix that do you? Hint: they'll take one look at it & bin it.

I have no idea, because I've never dealt with Squaretrade or ANY warranty service that covers accidental damage. I already bought a new Prime because my assumption is that they won't fix it, but I'm just wondering if that assumption is wrong/misguided.

Talking to Squaretrade they were all "well we repair it if possible" and didn't even want to discuss the cash-back option until they saw it. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

In other news: reinstalling World of Goo from the market did not reinstall my save data with it. :argh:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm talking about data of cellular although I guess it would be pretty trivial to make sure there's a warning dialog with the option to connect wifi.

Yeah, when my Nexus first restored off my Google account, it used about 300MB of cellular data just to put my settings back and restore 25 apps or so.

If I were on a tiered plan I'd be pissed because that would have been nearly 10% of my data allowance burned off before I even walked out of the phone shop.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Talking to Squaretrade they were all "well we repair it if possible" and didn't even want to discuss the cash-back option until they saw it. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

You would think with that tablet, most people would prefer the money back solution.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

My Linux Rig posted:

You would think with that tablet, most people would prefer the money back solution.

Quite an stupidly hyperbolic statement, don't you think? Where do you get this info from? You can count me out of that "money back" list, for one. I've tried both, I have the Prime, and I'm really happy with it. I can't stop my :smug: face from coming out when I see my Apple fanboy classmates watch as their iPad 2 runs out of battery, and my tablet keeps running no prob. And then I plug in the keyboard dock.

And, as far as I know, battery, backlight bleeding and signal problems have been corrected with the latest models. At least, mine's nowhere as painfully bad as a lot of people depicted on this thread, quite the opposite.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Quite an stupidly hyperbolic statement, don't you think? Where do you get this info from? You can count me out of that "money back" list, for one. I've tried both, I have the Prime, and I'm really happy with it. I can't stop my :smug: face from coming out when I see my Apple fanboy classmates watch as their iPad 2 runs out of battery, and my tablet keeps running no prob. And then I plug in the keyboard dock.

And, as far as I know, battery, backlight bleeding and signal problems have been corrected with the latest models. At least, mine's nowhere as painfully bad as a lot of people depicted on this thread, quite the opposite.

You have a 10 hour class?

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don Lapre posted:

You have a 10 hour class?

My class are usually spaced, so it's not weird to arrive at college early morning and leave by the evening. And we all have OCD problems with checking Twitter, FB and the like.

e: today though, friend brought iPad with 60% battery left (didn't charge it the previous night), left college with 15. Mine was 90%, arrived home with 60-ish, having abused 3G tethering en route (40 mins/travel) from my phone. This is from 8am to 3pm.

What I'm trying to say is, hey, I gotta be real lucky, following some logic that inhabits this place.

The Angry Spaniard fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 21, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

My class are usually spaced, so it's not weird to arrive at college early morning and leave by the evening. And we all have OCD problems with checking Twitter, FB and the like.

e: today though, friend brought iPad with 60% battery left (didn't charge it the previous night), left college with 15. Mine was 90%, arrived home with 60-ish, having abused 3G tethering en route (40 mins/travel) from my phone. This is from 8am to 3pm.

What I'm trying to say is, hey, I gotta be real lucky, following some logic that inhabits this place.

Its not really luck if you have 2 batteries and he has one, that yours lasts longer.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don Lapre posted:

Its not really luck if you have 2 batteries and he has one, that yours lasts longer.

Unplugged the keyboard way before the battery reached 70, so it didn't start charging up.

Believe me, I'm as amazed as you are that Android can talk about battery life in equal terms to Apple, at least in my case.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

1. You may be responding to someone who is not a fan of Android, but to call that "stupidly hyperbolic" is stretching your credibility. The first run TFPs was rife with engineering, QA and materials problems. It may not have been even 10% of the units, but that is still unacceptible.

2. Please keep your :smug: moments to yourself. Posting this kind of poo poo makes you look like a fanboy yourself. This is not complementary.

Some day when my wife's iPad runs down, ima ram my TF into the dock and run around the livingroom with my ballsack hanging out of my pants screaming the lyrics to We Will Rock You.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The newest batches of Primes made significant improvements to GPS. On my previous model (BCO serial number) I could get a GPS lock once in a blue moon, then it'd disappear within seconds. I never got a steady and reliable lock. On the new tablet (C1O serial number) GPS locks, stays locked, and is consistently ~30-50 feet accuracy. It sees even more GPS satellites than my phone does (however my phone gets 0.0 feet accuracy, locks much faster, and has slightly higher signal strength).

It's still not great, but it at least does SOMETHING.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kynetx posted:

That is also quite an hyperbole. It's just funny to see how apparently "TFP is broken, get your money back" statement seems to be the rule, and not the exception throughout this thread. First runs had a load of bad apples (haha), yes. But later runs have proven to be mostly okay, or at least people don't complain as loud as everyone seemed to when it was released.

There have been other cases of faulty products on the first runs, the most sound that comes to mind being iPhone 4's antenna problems, or HTC Desire battery problems. The companies, as far as I know, repaired the possible problems under warranty without problems (I've read of people sending their Desire back to HTC to get their battery checked and replaced, for free, or with little charge (mailing, I'd guess)). The Prime has had its problem, people with issues have been able to send them back, and even though the device still have some issues and bugs, it truly doesn't deserve being labeled as failure, given that people and reviewers are happy with it. This thread just seems to get all the faulty products, it'd seem. I was just trying to point out that I'm apparently part of the happy 1%.

Also I can't sing during classes, and certainly people wouldn't get it because of an obvious language handicap. :colbert:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That is also quite an hyperbole. It's just funny to see how apparently "TFP is broken, get your money back" statement seems to be the rule, and not the exception throughout this thread. First runs had a load of bad apples (haha), yes. But later runs have proven to be mostly okay, or at least people don't complain as loud as everyone seemed to when it was released.

There have been other cases of faulty products on the first runs, the most sound that comes to mind being iPhone 4's antenna problems, or HTC Desire battery problems. The companies, as far as I know, repaired the possible problems under warranty without problems (I've read of people sending their Desire back to HTC to get their battery checked and replaced, for free, or with little charge (mailing, I'd guess)). The Prime has had its problem, people with issues have been able to send them back, and even though the device still have some issues and bugs, it truly doesn't deserve being labeled as failure, given that people and reviewers are happy with it. This thread just seems to get all the faulty products, it'd seem. I was just trying to point out that I'm apparently part of the happy 1%.

Also I can't sing during classes, and certainly people wouldn't get it because of an obvious language handicap. :colbert:

No, you're trying to sugar coat a bad product because of the confirmation bias of getting a good one. Tell me, what's an acceptable failure rate to you, as long as you get a good one? How exactly is the average Joe supposed to know how to get a "2nd batch" tablet? The horror stories about Asus support are pretty well documented as well (including the insult of having to PAY SHIPPING to send back their straight-out-of-the-factory defective poo poo).

This is a loving $500 piece of hardware - we're not talking about a $5 DealExtreme calculator here, this is a half a grand piece of kit from a supposedly premiere manufacturer. Maybe because of all this it makes more sense to not reward the company that beta-tested their product on early adopters (see: TF300), and wait for another company to deliver a product that was built properly from square one.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
You could always just get something like this and never have to worry about battery. It's cheaper than the prime's extended battery too.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Crackbone posted:

No, you're trying to sugar coat a bad product because of the confirmation bias of getting a good one. Tell me, what's an acceptable failure rate to you, as long as you get a good one? How exactly is the average Joe supposed to know how to get a "2nd batch" tablet? The horror stories about Asus support are pretty well documented as well (including the insult of having to PAY SHIPPING to send back their straight-out-of-the-factory defective poo poo).

This is a loving $500 piece of hardware - we're not talking about a $5 DealExtreme calculator here, this is a half a grand piece of kit from a supposedly premiere manufacturer. Maybe because of all this it makes more sense to not reward the company that beta-tested their product on early adopters (see: TF300), and wait for another company to deliver a product that was built properly from square one.

well, to be fair, no one ever considered Asus a premiere manufacturer.

(cue examples of motherboards and cheap plastic netbooks as endorsements of their past record of quality in the consumer electronics world)

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crackbone posted:

No failure rate is acceptable for me. But fuckups happen. Asus is not the first company to suffer from it, and while certainly there are horror stories about Asus and horrible customer support service, it's probably no different than other fuckups that have happened around, and certainly it's being exaggerated throughout the thread. As much as I've surfed around the Internets looking for feedback on the Prime, most people got good ones, and reviewers depicted this on their reviews. About paying shipment costs, I'd suggest talking to your retailer, which probably can get it replaced without it costing you anything (at least in the EU).

Asus is to blame for having a failure rate of x% percent on their initial runs, yes. poo poo happens. Other devices had issues that were corrected later or fixed by handing out poo poo for free, but I've never seen a circlejerk against the Prime as the one I've read through this thread. I'm not even sure you or anyone have accurate figures to show how much of a failure the Prime has been. Following the present logic, some people claim the TF Prime is a catastrophe and hold onto their experience as true, so I might as well suggest that it's not, based on my personal experience, too.

Besides the GPS antenna problem (which was fixed rather poorly by removing it from the specs, but later patched and fixed to some extent), there's no real accurate data on the Prime. Maybe you'd be kind enough to show it, since you claim that this $500 fine piece of hardware is the worst of this world. Meanwhile, some people who obviously should ask for their money back are happily enjoying their Prime experience, though scientists still can't explain how this could happen.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Duke posted:

well, to be fair, no one ever considered Asus a premiere manufacturer.

(cue examples of motherboards and cheap plastic netbooks as endorsements of their past record of quality in the consumer electronics world)

Asus actually makes some of the best mobos and video cards in the computer parts world right now. The original Transformer was probably a pretty nice piece of hardware too.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Angry Spaniard, I say this as an android fanboy who has a Galaxy Nexus and a Transformer Prime: please stop. I don't even fully comprehend what kind of a discussion you're trying to stir up but I'm absolutely certain it would be a waste of everyone's time.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

No failure rate is acceptable for me.
But fuckups happen.
One of these statements is not like the other.

quote:

Asus is not the first company to suffer from it
Doesn't excuse it.

quote:

I've never seen a circlejerk against the Prime as the one I've read through this thread.
That could very well mean we don't like eating poo poo sundaes and pretending they're ice cream. There's plenty of Teg2 tablets (including the original TF) that were obviously better built and vetted before launch. Stands to reason that will happen to the Teg3 tablets as well.

quote:

since you claim that this $500 fine piece of hardware is the worst of this world.
Nobody said that, you disingenuous turd.

Rastor posted:

I'm absolutely certain it would be a waste of everyone's time.
True.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 22, 2012

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm sorry but rushing to push something out just to be first and loving it up is never acceptable and Asus should be recalling the earlier TFP's and giving their customers working devices.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I keep saying this, but my original Transformer is fantastic.
I'm not in the market for a new tablet, but if I was (maybe if my current one broke?) I probably would've just picked up the Prime, no questions asked, if I hadn't heard about the mess in this thread.
As it stands, if someone asked me "hey what tablet should I get also I don't want an iPad" right now, I'd say "wait for the TF700T and see how that pans out."
Maybe the TF101 was a fluke or something and Asus is usually poo poo, but the promise of "like an original Transformer but better" sounds great, and it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to deliver.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crackbone posted:

Asus actually makes some of the best mobos and video cards in the computer parts world right now. The original Transformer was probably a pretty nice piece of hardware too.

My original transformer is certainly reliable as hell and the only thing "wrong" with it is the edges are slightly beat up cause I'm a klutz who leaves it on tables and accidentally knocks it on to the floor.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

How about we stop fighting over the Prime for a few posts, and discuss how much more awesome Chrome Beta is than any other portable browser?

They also released a Chrome to Mobile Beta extension, which is basically Chrome to Phone, but works with Chrome Beta and lets you choose which device to send the link to. It's awesome!

http://goo.gl/tLrfj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Frozen-Solid posted:

How about we stop fighting over the Prime for a few posts, and discuss how much more awesome Chrome Beta is than any other portable browser?

They also released a Chrome to Mobile Beta extension, which is basically Chrome to Phone, but works with Chrome Beta and lets you choose which device to send the link to. It's awesome!

http://goo.gl/tLrfj

I actually haven't found much reason to use Chrome instead of the stock Ice Cream Sandwich Browser. Have you noticed much better performance or anything?