Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

my cat is norris posted:

Paging www to the IRC channel -- we're stuck on voice only again. :<

What's that?! IRC channel you say? Why, yes! Please feel free to join your favorite Gurmophiles in the best IRC channel to ever be. Pokemon, gay sex, elves, pedo Reddit, ponies, and THE GREATEST BOOKS EVER are frequently discussed, but our conversations are clearly lacking without YOUR input!

irc.synirc.net
#thebadthread

http://www.mibbit.com/ if you don't feel like installing a client.

ETA mornings are generally quiet, if you log in and nobody's saying poo poo, say hello, see who's around, or check back in the afternoons when more folks are awake.

Fixed. Sorry about that, the good Doctor was on the fritz again and SOME babby forgot to turn moderation off.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of selecting server and channel, feel free to click this handy link!

And you, norris, are no true WILDCARD, as you forgot GRRM's favorite pastimes in the topic list.

e: and link is fixed, if you happened to click before and nothing happened.

Back to actual forum-chat, I'm now imagining a Xena-style spinoff starring Brienne.

Brienne, Warrior Maiden.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

whowhatwhere posted:

Back to actual forum-chat, I'm now imagining a Xena-style spinoff starring Brienne.

Brienne, Warrior Maiden.
Who will be her female companion with which she can have a quasi-lesbian relationship? Cersei?

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

Who will be her female companion with which she can have a quasi-lesbian relationship? Cersei?

Sansa?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

el_brio posted:

Sansa?
That would imply that Brienne ever manages to find her. Though I think GRRM would approve of that pairing.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

Varys...

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Just finished A Dance with Dragons. :ughh: Where do I sign up for Wild Cards?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
As Viconia (RIP) is no longer our mod, we have to buy a title with the WILD CARDS logo () in it.

Alternately just be one in spirit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Being a Wild Card is a state of mind, man.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mediant posted:

Just finished A Dance with Dragons. :ughh: Where do I sign up for Wild Cards?

My favorite part is where GRRM introduced new people of no consequence instead of moving towards wrapping up the story.

The fifth book was more like a second book than the actual second book.

Oh boy, new characters, a lost Targaryen, several new factions, and a downer ending with no conclusion and the main character is lost in the desert with a case of the bad bad Leroy Browns.

To become a wild card you must now poo poo post and talk about other books because there's not going to be another ASOIAF book ever.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
^^^You just summed up the reasons for my discontent pretty well there.

All except for Daenerys, "I wonder what Dario's thinkin bout right now." :allears:
She was my second favorite character Martin! Why? Why!? My hate for him has been reinvigorated to new levels. :argh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I like how in effectively one book Gurm managed to gently caress up everyone's favorite character no matter who that favorite character was.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mediant posted:

^^^You just summed up the reasons for my discontent pretty well there.

All except for Daenerys, "I wonder what Dario's thinkin bout right now." :allears:
She was my second favorite character Martin! Why? Why!? My hate for him has been reinvigorated to new levels. :argh:
Better not let GRRM learn who your favorite character is then.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

there's not going to be another ASOIAF book ever.

... there's not going to be another ASOIAF book written by GRRM

At this point, I think the best thing that could happen is someone else finishes it. Daario :h: Darkstar

el_brio fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 21, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

el_brio posted:

... there's not going to be another ASOIAF book written by GRRM

At this point, I think the best thing that could happen is someone else finishes it.
GRRM has left instructions to have all his notes and existing work on future books destroyed. I have no doubt that someone will try and milk the series, it's just too profitable to leave alone, but it may well end up being quite different as a result.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

IRQ posted:

I like how in effectively one book Gurm managed to gently caress up everyone's favorite character no matter who that favorite character was.

Hey now, he only humiliated Cersei in this book, she's still the Queen mum now that Kevan isn't around to be mean and bossy. Wait, who's favorite character was Cersei?

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Maybe Ty will finish it...

It’s been too long since we’ve had a really kickass space dragon opera. LEVIATHAN WAKES TSUNAMIS OF SUMMER is interplanetary surprise sex adventure the way it ought to be written.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Factor_VIII posted:

My favorite character is Bronn. :allears:

Luckily GRRM will die before the "Bronn is a Stark bastard and has warg powers only BACKWARDS so Tyrion wargs into Bronn and now Tyrion is tall and strong and he totally kills his family awesomely and :gizz: :btroll:" that that fat fucker has planned for book six.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

As Viconia (RIP) is no longer our mod, we have to buy a title with the WILD CARDS logo () in it.

Alternately just be one in spirit.

How does one add that image to an existing avatar?

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Factor_VIII posted:

He told me he loved me, but he called me Gurm, just before he fell back to sleep. Even so, I stayed with him until the sky began to lighten. The author did not deserve him. He would not even give him his favor to wear when he fought Brandon Stark. I would have given him my favor. I gave him everything. He is mine now. Not George's and not yours! :rant:

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

How does one add that image to an existing avatar?

Buy a new avatar and use the HTML code as the custom title text.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Mediant posted:

He told me he loved me, but he called me Gurm, just before he fell back to sleep. Even so, I stayed with him until the sky began to lighten. The author did not deserve him. He would not even give him his favor to wear when he fought Brandon Stark. I would have given him my favor. I gave him everything. He is mine now. Not George's and not yours! :rant:

Grum let Mediant sob against his fat sweaty chest for a moment then put his ham sized hands on his arms and kissed him lightly. "My sweet silly jealous reader," he said chuckling. "I've only loved one, I promise you."

Mediant smiled tremulously. "Only one? Oh, Gurm, do you swear it? Only one?"

"Only Giants pizza bloody poo poo." He gave him a short,sharp Dance of Dragons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

smarion2 posted:

Buy a new avatar and use the HTML code as the custom title text.

It's the bbcode isn't it?

Also you have to use the image hosted on SA's servers.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The reason why Littlefinger should be everyone's favorite character: he can never be a POV because he knows too much.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And because Gurm doesn't know what that too much he knows is because Gurm has no idea what the gently caress is going on in his story.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

IRQ posted:

And because Gurm doesn't know what that too much he knows is because Gurm has no idea what the gently caress is going on in his story.

It is known.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

el_brio posted:

Daario :h: Darkstar

Hit the nail on the head, in the last book both my favorite characters got more loving awesome, sorry yall have poo poo taste

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Hit the nail on the head, in the last book both my favorite characters got more loving awesome, sorry yall have poo poo taste

Wait what did these people do in the last book.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Arya Stark is still kickass, so is Bran. So that isn't entirely true, the book had some good chapters that didn't gently caress up my favorite characters, but there's only like two chapters about them

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

bigmcgaffney posted:

Darkstar should warg into Daario~. Then the two best characters would be combined into one ultimate character who woulbe be revealed to be the world's messiah.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
FYI Daario is a pretty lametastic character that is most likely going to die pretty soon

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Dead Man Posting posted:

FYI Daario is a pretty lametastic character that is most likely going to die pretty soon
I bet you say that due to an irrational hatred of blue beards.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Factor_VIII posted:

I bet you say that due to an irrational hatred of blue beards.

Everytime GRRM mentions ebony skin or blue beards I start flipping desks/chairs/whatever is nearby when I read.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Tom Toddlesworth posted:

Wait what did these people do in the last book.

Daario hosed dragon queens all day and even impregnated one, all while being a smug bluebeard motherfucker

Darkstar was hiding out in the hills being a more impressively endowed Robin Hood criminal syndicate mastermind, and was still of the night

Together they make a captain planet with half blue/half black hair and the power to loving rock sick lute solos, also their/his lair is where whores go

Edit: dead man posting, watch your bad self, ebony rocks I have a ebony sword in skyrim and it kicks rear end brah

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

IRQ posted:

Not for me, my faves (Jon and all the Greyjoys) were just as marvelous in Dance as ever. Theon's arc especially was just stunning.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joramun posted:

Not for me, my faves (Jon and all the Greyjoys) were just as marvelous in Dance as ever. Theon's arc especially was just stunning.

I found the arch pretty forgettable just like his name :smug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Theon's arc and Asha's for that matter felt a solid 2-3 books overdue.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

IRQ posted:

This. I was expecting great things from ADWD with all his blathering on about the "meerenese knot". It turns out the knot he was obsessing about was Dany's balloon knot and his solution was bloody poo poo.

The thing that pisses me off the most about ADWD was the whole treatment of the god damned dragons. I think introducing the whole dragon idea was a mistake. Take these books and take out Dany & her loving lame dragons and all of the associated chapters and focus on the wall and the north and the loving zombies and you have a lot stronger books.

Zombies? gently caress you if you want to read more about them because my stupid stroke-off fantasy-dragon-princess is busy making GBS threads blood all over a desert somewhere. At least let the dragons do SOMETHING loving INTERESTING. Keep them in a dungeon the whole book? gently caress you GRRM. gently caress YOU.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite character only got four chapters and disappeared less than halfway into the book, so...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

I bet you say that due to an irrational hatred of blue beards balls.

Oh look, a Dany chapter, I wonder if she'll do anything interesting. Let's see, some stabbings the night before, some looking back and being lost, some prophecies, some bad choices, my Daario :swoon: and Oh wait, actually doing something, nah, I'll do more daydreaming about Daario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

el_brio posted:

Zombies? gently caress you if you want to read more about them because my stupid stroke-off fantasy-dragon-princess is busy making GBS threads blood all over a desert somewhere. At least let the dragons do SOMETHING loving INTERESTING. Keep them in a dungeon the whole book? gently caress you GRRM. gently caress YOU.
Look at the bright side; plenty of Daario~ in this book. And we got to see Tyrion doing plenty of pig jousting. If only Darkstar had appeared to cut an ear off another little girl ADWD would have been perfect.