Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

obi_ant posted:

I have been using FakeClockUp for a good week or so. I realized that the FakeClockUp is a total battery drainer. Even when it's at 1X.

Horseshit. I swear, you could release an jailbreak tweak that makes "AM/PM" lowercase and people would clamor about how it sucks their battery dry.

Maybe it's because there isn't a decent process/battery monitor for the iPhone like there is on Android phones so you just have to guess. Does anyone know of one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Vertigus posted:

Horseshit. I swear, you could release an jailbreak tweak that makes "AM/PM" lowercase and people would clamor about how it sucks their battery dry.

Maybe it's because there isn't a decent process/battery monitor for the iPhone like there is on Android phones so you just have to guess. Does anyone know of one?

For battery tracking, I just use the Notes app. Seriously.

I write down the date, my battery percentage, and Usage time. It's not a pretty chart or anything, but it could be if I import the data into another program.

We'd see things fixed faster if the community organized issues better. Most issues people have just get lost in pages and pages of forum posts.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Hoppin Tin posted:

Ugggh, so I was trying to use whited00r on my friend's Tomible Unlocked iPhone 2G and it would not install, telling me that the firmware is not compatible. I then decide to go to stock firmware, using iTunes restore option. After everything installs, it goes to setup, but then says that I need a proper ATT SIM card. I don't have one. What do I do to get around this?

I tried downloading differetn firmwares 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, and it still gives me an error, saying it's not compatible.

Are you using TinyUmbrella to stop iTunes from trying verify the firmware?

edit: If not that, maybe it is the version of iTunes you're trying to install it with..

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 18, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

For battery tracking, I just use the Notes app. Seriously.

I write down the date, my battery percentage, and Usage time. It's not a pretty chart or anything, but it could be if I import the data into another program.

Jesus Christ why? :psypop:

Bad Habit
Apr 26, 2008
From @i0n1c on twitter:

quote:

I recommend everybody downloads KakaoTalk Messenger version 2.8.8 now, before Apple removes it from the AppStore. Just saying...

quote:

recommending you to download KakaoTalk Messenger 2.8.8 has nothing todo with an exploitable vulnerability that can be used for 5.1 jailbreak

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Bad Habit posted:

From @i0n1c on twitter:

Without more information I'm just gonna say thanks but no thanks.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

bazaar apparatus posted:

Without more information I'm just gonna say thanks but no thanks.

What's the harm? Its a free app, so downloading a copy in case something becomes of it seems like a good idea to me.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

m0isty posted:

What's the harm? Its a free app, so downloading a copy in case something becomes of it seems like a good idea to me.

I've been hearing stories of people finding apps installed on their iPhones that they didn't purchase because someone hacked their iTunes account, so I'm not just gonna go download some ugly-rear end app I've never heard of just because it *might* be useful in the future.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007

bazaar apparatus posted:

I've been hearing stories of people finding apps installed on their iPhones that they didn't purchase because someone hacked their iTunes account, so I'm not just gonna go download some ugly-rear end app I've never heard of just because it *might* be useful in the future.

Yeah I just read that thread too. I've now copied the app out of my iTunes folder and deleted it from my iToys (unopened). Seems unlikely a jailbreak dev would be recommending a malicious app though.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

m0isty posted:

Yeah I just read that thread too. I've now copied the app out of my iTunes folder and deleted it from my iToys (unopened). Seems unlikely a jailbreak dev would be recommending a malicious app though.

What thread is that?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007

Carlton Banks posted:

What thread is that?

The iPhone thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444604&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=77#post400678231

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
There is no harm in downloading an app and keeping it on your Springboard. Don't be ridiculous.

The scenario is something like this:

a) Unscrupulous chinese dev obtains hacked Apple IDs
b) Unscrupulous chinese dev buys app on a different phone using your account, buys $99.99 IAP, profits
c) Thanks to the changes in recent iOS versions, your iPhone automatically downloads the app that "you" bought to all your devices and you wonder why it's there.

The "mysterious app" that shows up didn't hack you and isn't a security concern. It's a result of your security already being compromised. Weak passwords, not weak software.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
So it's ok for me to take the tinfoil off now? Promise?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I submitted a bug report to the Phone GV Extension developer, and he acknowledged it was a known issue.
This really screwed up a call I was trying to make yesterday:

When you use Siri to dial a number, the Phone app will launch in the background, and you will be left in the Siri interface (unable to put the call on speaker, end the call, etc).

Hitting Home drops you to a SpringBoard missing the clock, call bar, and with the inability to launch anything.

The work-around is to double-tap Home, switch to another app (slide over to the volume controls and launch your music app if you have nothing else open). You can then try to switch back to the phone app that way.

Disabling Phone GV Extension (via mobile substrate toggles in SBSettings) or uninstalling Phone GV Extension are the only way to get "dial from Siri" working properly.

I didn't see this posted earlier.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

frumpsnake posted:

There is no harm in downloading an app and keeping it on your Springboard. Don't be ridiculous.

The scenario is something like this:

a) Unscrupulous chinese dev obtains hacked Apple IDs
b) Unscrupulous chinese dev buys app on a different phone using your account, buys $99.99 IAP, profits
c) Thanks to the changes in recent iOS versions, your iPhone automatically downloads the app that "you" bought to all your devices and you wonder why it's there.

The "mysterious app" that shows up didn't hack you and isn't a security concern. It's a result of your security already being compromised. Weak passwords, not weak software.
Shouldn't Apple be able to suspend the developer account tied to that game and refund all purchases made in it then? I haven't really heard if they've taken any action yet and as far as I know the game itself is still available.

EDIT: Not really jailbreak related. Moved over to the general iOS discussion thread.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Im trying to find an app that allows me to reply to SMS texts via computer I can swear it was just posted in the last few pages but all im finding is BiteSMS chat

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Black Noise posted:

Im trying to find an app that allows me to reply to SMS texts via computer I can swear it was just posted in the last few pages but all im finding is BiteSMS chat

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=400560582

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone have the 4x4 dense iconoclasm layout? I can't download it from Cydia and I don't have a computer to make a custom one.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Is the Absinthe server having issues? I'm trying to jailbreak my iPad2 and went through everything (using Windows 7) and Absinthe on the iPad keeps on failing to connect, and VPN keeps on failing to connect as well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

the walkin dude posted:

Is the Absinthe server having issues? I'm trying to jailbreak my iPad2 and went through everything (using Windows 7) and Absinthe on the iPad keeps on failing to connect, and VPN keeps on failing to connect as well.

After you run absinthe on your computer and your ipad resets, go straight into settings, turn the VPN on, when you get the error message, click OK and just wait. Your ipad will reboot, when it's done, Cydia will be there.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Are you upgrading to iOS 5.x or are you starting from a fresh install? If you're doing it from a backup/upgrade it'll fail. Start from scratch, jailbreak, and then resync the iPad. In my experience doing two 4.x to 5.x iPad 2 upgrades Absinthe has failed to jailbreak the device.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The iPad didn't restart, so I went and did a fresh install of 5.0.1 through iTunes, and tried again. Bam, no need to use VPN, it rebooted and is now ready. Thanks!!!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My iPhone 4S every other day will stop recording recent & missed calls until I restart my phone. Can't have this, so I'm unjailbreaking.

What's the most sure fire way of doing it? In the past, when I've tried to unjailbreak, I have to end up erasing everything on the phone and starting over and sometimes that doesn't even work (will get stuck at the Apple boot logo).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone know of any iOS 5+ fonts for BytaFont?

As far as I know, 100% of them are for iOS 4.x, and none of the screenshots for them show them on on iOS 5+ on a 4S.

Existing fonts are missing the Microphone key, the keyboard key, and some other language support introduced in 5.0. A *bunch* of fonts have come out since 5.0, but most are still 4.x fonts.

Edit: It seems the latest BytaFont just leaves the original keys instead of displaying a hosed up symbol...

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 21, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
If anyone else is having problems with random reboots, uninstalling CameraLocker cleared that up for me.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Xenomorph posted:

Anyone know of any iOS 5+ fonts for BytaFont?

As far as I know, 100% of them are for iOS 4.x, and none of the screenshots for them show them on on iOS 5+ on a 4S.

Existing fonts are missing the Microphone key, the keyboard key, and some other language support introduced in 5.0. A *bunch* of fonts have come out since 5.0, but most are still 4.x fonts.

Edit: It seems the latest BytaFont just leaves the original keys instead of displaying a hosed up symbol...

I don't know if you have Springtomize 2, but you can change the font with it. It has some preloaded ones that will work.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I don't know if you have Springtomize 2, but you can change the font with it. It has some preloaded ones that will work.

I'd been using BytaFont for a while (since iOS 4.1, at least). It's one of the first things I load on friends' jailbroken devices. It's free and it gives a good idea of the kind of customization they can do.

I had gone without a jailbreak for a while with the 4S, so I was excited to finally get BytaFont back - only to be disgusted with screwed up symbols in the place of some new iOS5+ keys.

Now that it's been properly updated for iOS 5 (it leaves buttons at their default unless the font specifically modifies them), I have no issue using it.

Ubuntu (and Ubuntu Titling) had been my favorite. My daughter is a fan of Akbar, and I've recently discovered the "Architects Daughter" font.
Like themes, 99% of the fonts out there are poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

If anyone else is having problems with random reboots, uninstalling CameraLocker cleared that up for me.

Same here. I haven't had any random reboots with it uninstalled.

Altoid
May 14, 2002
This is a bit of a repost from a while back but I finally got my 4S and, I want to prep my iphone 4 for sale.

It’s currently on an unlockable baseband 01.59.00 on iOS 4.2.1. I tried to check and I see that 5.0.1 can preserve baseband but it’s a tethered jailbreak. What’s the highest iOS I can take this phone up to for resale that’s non-tethered but preserves the baseband? Selling it unlockable adds to the resale value a lot so I’d rather sell it that way. If anyone has a iClarified guide too or something would be great.

Here’s the tutorial I found that says it’s tethered: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18932

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
That's an old guide back when 5.0.1 didn't have an tethered jailbreak.

Use redsn0w to create a custom 5.0.1 IPSW with 01.59.00 baseband and you're all good.

Altoid
May 14, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

Use redsn0w to create a custom 5.0.1 IPSW with 01.59.00 baseband and you're all good.

I thought there was an untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1. Weird, their website links to the old one, guess they need to update the site. Thanks so much!

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
You can add the camera button to the home screen through springtomize 2. I have had it enabled for a few weeks and have not had a single crash. Maybe it enables it another way that doesn't cause it to crash?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I tried using Frash the other day (purely to play Nanaca Crash) but no matter what Flash app I tried to load, but it couldn't connect so I uninstalled it from Cydia.

Now, even after a respring and a total reboot, every time I try to launch a video in Safari (or any other browser app) it immediately crashes and brings me back to my home screen.

Anyone else had this problem and/or know a solution?

Running iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak on an iPhone 4 if that matters.

edit: Fixed it, turns out the fault was with TVOutTuner crashing whenever anything that would normally output over cables (including the Videos app) was launched. Switched it to manual and everything is grand. Now I just wish Frash worked!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 22, 2012

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
Just did the iOS 5 jailbreak on my iPhone 4 using the latest redsn0w and it worked great, very easy. I was disappointed to find that you can't do arbitrary locations for reminders. Is there any jailbreak solution for that?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

King Nothing posted:

Just did the iOS 5 jailbreak on my iPhone 4 using the latest redsn0w and it worked great, very easy. I was disappointed to find that you can't do arbitrary locations for reminders. Is there any jailbreak solution for that?

My location based reminders aren't working at all on my jailbroken iPhone 4. If you have Siri, you can tell her things like "Remind me to make a quick getaway when I leave here", utilizing your current location, but that's as arbitrary as it gets from what I've seen. Too bad they don't work for me at all, though.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any apps for a jailbroken iPad that would let me run two iPhone apps side-by-side so I could interact with both at the same time? I did a quick search online and found one called Polyonix but there hasn't been any more news about it since June of last year :(

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

My location based reminders aren't working at all on my jailbroken iPhone 4. If you have Siri, you can tell her things like "Remind me to make a quick getaway when I leave here", utilizing your current location, but that's as arbitrary as it gets from what I've seen. Too bad they don't work for me at all, though.

Weird, they work on mine. They're pretty useless though, you'd have to be going at walking speed to actually make a decision by the time you get the notification. I guess you could use the ability to spoof your location in order to set reminders for arbitrary locations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

King Nothing posted:

Weird, they work on mine. They're pretty useless though, you'd have to be going at walking speed to actually make a decision by the time you get the notification. I guess you could use the ability to spoof your location in order to set reminders for arbitrary locations.
Works well here too. I frequently use the "remind me to do X when I leave work / leave home / get home / get to work" thing. I also sometimes use the "remind me to get X when I'm at the grocery store" too, but you have to put your grocery store address in contacts (as you do for home/work) to do that.

simplesnatch
Sep 6, 2011
I just purchased this Brookstone iPhone pocket projector- http://www.brookstone.com/pocket-projector-for-iphone-4

It will not play anything from GPlayer unfortunately. I was poking around on Cydia to see if something would allow for playback, but did not find anything that would work. Has anybody had any luck with this?

YouTube videos on iPhone
Also, has anybody found a work around for the YouTube videos that are set to not playback on iPhone? I searched around and saw User Agent Faker but it did not make a difference. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altoid
May 14, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

I tried this and it worked kinda. My phone is now on 5.0.1 and 01.59.00. But no Cydia... I see a post after that says "Simply restart redsn0w, plug your phone in, put it in DFU mode and press Jailbreak. :-)" but won't that lose my unlock baseband?

I'm really confused. If it makes a difference all I have is an unactivated sim in there. Should I take the sim card from my 4s and use it to activate? Or whats up? It let me get to the springboard but there's no Cydia icon. I even tried a spotlight search.

• Locked thread