Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
New thread title is awesome. I'd be ok with a reboot of Time Cruisers as long as it meant I was able to get some more ghosts and dragons.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The monster fighter line has got to have a zombie in it right? They're reusing some of the other monster minifigs and whatever set the zombie is in would sell so well they would be stupid not to use that one too. Couldn't believe when they announced they were reissuing 5 of the most popular minifigs that the zombie and robot from Series 1 weren't in there.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thebardyspoon posted:

The monster fighter line has got to have a zombie in it right? They're reusing some of the other monster minifigs and whatever set the zombie is in would sell so well they would be stupid not to use that one too. Couldn't believe when they announced they were reissuing 5 of the most popular minifigs that the zombie and robot from Series 1 weren't in there.

It doesn't appear to have any zombies so far, but we can hope for a zombie set if Monster Hunters sells well.

They need to do a zombie booster pack like they do with clone troopers and battle droids.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

It doesn't appear to have any zombies so far, but we can hope for a zombie set if Monster Hunters sells well.

They need to do a zombie booster pack like they do with clone troopers and battle droids.

That would be awesome. We could do walking dead city theme or even Marvel Zombies! Zombie heads on the new marvel mini figs. :)

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Frozen-Solid posted:

There's also LEGO Creationary, which is basically just pictionary with LEGO bricks. I have it, but haven't played it yet.

Creationary is pretty dang fun, even though I think it'd be more fun to play with more bricks. Some of the things you are supposed to build just aren't really feasible with the bricks they give. Most of them are, but there's just a few that I don't know how to make in a recognizable way. Like a four way intersection.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Any any of those lego board games any good? I mean, from a playing perspective.

I can only speak for Heroica, but owning all 4 has given me a good bit of hands on.

Out of the box its a very simplistic roll-the-dice type rpg board game. Not much depth for older players, but very easy for young players to pick up and enjoy.

However because the standard issue rules have a few "holes" in them so to speak, and very basic rule sets, it allows for vast expansions of customised rules for play. New items/consumables, new monsters (either via MOC or other TLC board games), new map layouts, new hero abilities etc etc etc.

One of the things you should change first is the Barbarian's Heroica roll ability. Rather than killing all enemies in a 1sq radius (this scenario rarely happens), we decided to give the Barbarian a 'Battle Charge". Move 4 spaces on a Heroica roll, passing through AND killing any enemy in the way **ONLY outside of a combat roll. Move 0 spaces on combat Heroica roll**

Makes it a viable "fast character" much like the Ranger and the Knight (by fast, I mean having movement bonuses upon special ability) without it being too overpowered.

But yeah, Heroica can be as simplistic or a complex as you wish it to be. Myself and 2 other friend (we're all 21) like to get together every week or two for a few smokes and an epic game of Heroica.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Speaking of Lego games I was just looking at the official website when I noticed this AR IOS game at the bottom of the page called The Life of George. I was surprised I'd never heard of it before because it looks pretty neat. Does anyone have any experience with this?

http://george.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx?icmp=COUSFR34George

I don't have an ipad so I wont be playing it any time soon but it looks interesting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I loved time cruisers as a kid, in no small part due to the cool pieces and minifig parts that I got with the sets.

Time cruisers now, with the catalog of minifig pieces that Lego has built up with the collectibles...I don't understand why anyone would be against that, unless you're busy making a fortune by selling minifigs.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Gravy Jones posted:

Is it OK with two players? My kid is 4 and loves Ninjago but still has trouble with competitive games (we have a sheep shearing one and if anyone take his wool he has a strop!). Cooperative sounds good.

Yeah it would be fine with 2 players, might make it a little harder to win, but it's pretty hard to lose (I think we have lost 1 out of 20 games maybe). My 2.5 year old can play it, but he has trouble spinning the top properly (drat motor skill).

Oh yeah, we also got lego champions, which is a good game for little kids learning their colours. it's a bit like Candyland

Fozzie Bear fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 21, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
UK goons... Power Boat Transporter is £10, close to 70% off. It's a price match with Tesco who are out of stock so it will jump back next time the update probably.

This post bought to you by Legoogel (which has been updating every half hour today with no problems). Which I'm not going to keep pimping I promise. But... if there are any eurogoons who hang out here I will be adding DE, FR, IT and ES support tonight. Plus, if I get time Twitter notification of big price drops.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't understand why anyone would be against that, unless you're busy making a fortune by selling minifigs.

Someone on cuusoo has a Star Wars "Dark Box" - basically a shiny Vader and 99 assorted Empire troopers. I hope they make it and others similar if only to cause the market for minifigs to bottom out and for the nerdrage.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dead Alice posted:

Someone on cuusoo has a Star Wars "Dark Box" - basically a shiny Vader and 99 assorted Empire troopers. I hope they make it and others similar if only to cause the market for minifigs to bottom out and for the nerdrage.

I don't think they're allowed to do minifig only stuff with Star Wars because it conflicts with the action figure license (Which is obviously a heavy hitter as far as SW merchandise goes). That's why you always get dumb little vehicles in the "battle packs" and can only get some figures by themselves on keyeings and magnets.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Gravy Jones posted:

UK goons... Power Boat Transporter is £10, close to 70% off. It's a price match with Tesco who are out of stock so it will jump back next time the update probably.

This post bought to you by Legoogel (which has been updating every half hour today with no problems). Which I'm not going to keep pimping I promise. But... if there are any eurogoons who hang out here I will be adding DE, FR, IT and ES support tonight. Plus, if I get time Twitter notification of big price drops.

$40 TIE Fighter?! I love your app, thank you. :love:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Time cruisers now, with the catalog of minifig pieces that Lego has built up with the collectibles...I don't understand why anyone would be against that, unless you're busy making a fortune by selling minifigs.

After seeing the monster hunter stuff I'd be amazed if they're not toying with some way to put all these ancient/classical minifig dudes to use.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I didn't see this posted here.

How Lego is made doco!

Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puo6yvgoKfI

Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgDQisqx6M&feature=related

Part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHjd6XmySA&feature=related

Great documentary. LEGO has to represent a sizable chunk of Denmark's economy at this point.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
Re: Lego Creationary

The big issue is that you don't get to build very much. You'll always have someone who'll guess from just a few bricks and that's it. The others will struggle with building and get no points since their constructs don't make enough sense from the get-go. The instructions don't really help, since the best game play rule set is for the basic one-build-others-guess -game. The alternative rules are worse in some way or or another.

The upside is the brick selection is good and the basic mechanics are all right. Especially with my friends, we've enjoyed how the difficulties vary. You have three levels of difficulty per category. The hard ones are deservedly difficult and the easy ones are reasonable, nothings too easy or oversimplified.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravy Jones posted:

Sold out already. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Revener posted:

I think Time Cruisers would be especially bitching if it were to use the random pieces of today.
A Time Cruisers ship made entirely of Bley Doors and Dark Red 2x1x3 slopes.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go
I have a bit of a dilemma revolving around the modular buildings. I don't know what to get.

My choices are the Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, and the Grand Emporium. I'm basically looking for the one with the longest, most fun build.

I am a manchild.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sefiros posted:

I have a bit of a dilemma revolving around the modular buildings. I don't know what to get.

My choices are the Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, and the Grand Emporium. I'm basically looking for the one with the longest, most fun build.

I am a manchild.

Well, with the Pet shop you're getting basically two different buildings, so that's like twice the value.

Testro
May 2, 2009
If you can wait a week, it seems the longest build (based on number of bricks / height of the model) will be Town Hall.

I haven't bought Pet Shop yet, but I seem to think that I found Fire Brigade's interior more fun than the Grand Emporium.

I think it's important to note that Fire Brigade will be retired first. You might not want to buy more than one modular at the moment, but if you enjoy the build, you might change your mind. GE and PS will be on the shelves for quite a bit longer yet, whereas FB is on its way out...

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

jassi007 posted:

That would be awesome. We could do walking dead city theme or even Marvel Zombies! Zombie heads on the new marvel mini figs. :)

This is a great idea and needs to happen. Also great work Gravy Jones. Keep up the good work!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Gravy Jones posted:

Nice, cant wait.

Can you add the ability to pass a subset of sets as a semicolon delimited list in the URL, for bookmarking?

Ika fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 21, 2012

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I don't have any other lego but we picked up one of the Heroica games to play over xmas and ended up getting the full set as well, which is ace.

Makes a good dungeon questing type board game. They come with basic rules but it's better making up your own like that fella said, as stuff like the weapons and gold and potions don't feature so much on the standard rules.
Got a couple of small boxes of ninja lego (ninja ambush I think) and some of the random bagged lego men for some extra trees and items, because I can't fully get into roleplaying Varkn'gar the Rogue if the beach isn't convincing.

Still not decided what it means for the player's turn when the cat dives for the dice and crushes the impenetrable fortress.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I doubt it. They seem to like their one wave themes as of late. Pharaoh, Alien Conquest, Dino Hunters...all one wave.

:(

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^^^
Sounds like it's time to sign up for a Cuuso account... :v:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I doubt it. They seem to like their one wave themes as of late. Pharaoh, Alien Conquest, Dino Hunters...all one wave.

Yeah, Alien Conquest was decent, but Pharaoh and Dino Hunters are just terrible product lines. Pharaoh in particular seems like the type of half-assed sets that Mega-Bloks, or the numerous asian knock-offs, would put out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I hope not, Monster Hunters looks like it's gonna be amazzzinngg and it's what got me back into Lego.

I got the UFO from Alien conquest that abducts the farmer, and it seems amazing as a concept, but I can't help but feel like the older flying saucer from the late 90's was cooler.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pharaoh and Dino Hunters are just terrible product lines.

This one is pretty ballin':

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ika posted:

Can you add the ability to pass a subset of sets as a semicolon delimited list in the URL, for bookmarking?

At the moment it's just a big dumb text file I push to the browser. In theory the idea was to get everything working in terms of the data and then start work on a really shiny new website with all the mod-cons (including stuff like this) as brushing up on some of those skills was my main aim. The current page is, in theory, just a temporary thing.

Then again I'm kind of digging the old school/light weight default text and blue hyperlinks and am wondering if I shouldn't just stick with that. Either way there's some data stuff I need to thought out first... at least a couple of weeks worth so it's probably flat text file for a while.

I am going to be adding a complete listing of all the sets I'm checking (whether they have a discount or not) sorted by theme. So if you're only interested in a specific line you could just bookmark the anchor it'll have.

Feel free to email ash@legoogel.com with any specific requests though. My primary interest in doing this (beyond scoring cheap lego) is figuring out better ways of accessing and presenting this kind of data and I'm really interested in what people want.

Edit: *twiddles thumbs* who'd have guessed that checking three times as many regions would take three times as long?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 22, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, Alien Conquest was decent, but Pharaoh and Dino Hunters are just terrible product lines. Pharaoh in particular seems like the type of half-assed sets that Mega-Bloks, or the numerous asian knock-offs, would put out.

:argh: I really like Pharaoh's Quest. Well all the cheaper sets I got anyway. Then again I wasn't that keen on Alien Conquest which everyone else seems to like. I do agree that they're all fairly disposable one-offs. Monster Hunters has the same feel to me. It's cool and kitchy, but doesn't strike me as having that broad an appeal.

I think a lot of this stuff slips through the cracks between licensed lines, City and Ninjago.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
We have a pretty good selection of the games. Having a family of four (two kids age 14 and 9), hopefully this will give you a good indicator. The kids enjoy them all, but for adults some are just a matter of "is it over yet?"

Atlantis: It's pretty fun but it feels like the game ends very quickly for how big the board is. Like, it's almost too easy. The torpedoes are a very cool idea but out of a dozen games or so I think only one person has ever been hit because you rarely end up on the same line of sight. It's very non-competitive and you feel like each person has their own little corner you hardly ever break out of. Like having a race where each car is on a separate identical track and you time them. drat, the micro subs are badass looking though!

Magma Monster: This one is actually pretty fun. The kids like it because there's a couple ways to sabotage other players. Simple but fun game design.

Pirate Code: Love this one. If you had Mastermind as a kid you'll know exactly what to do here. Definitely one kids can easily master and it's just as fun for adults as kids.

Race 3000: This one seems fun but the idea of the shortcuts isn't explained very well and end up rarely being used. The idea of building the dice as you go is very novel, but in the end it just feels like you may as well be taking turns rolling a regular die. Its just a matter of who gets the higher movement roll more, so totally luck based.

Creationary: It's a really great idea in theory but like the guy said before, a lot get guessed before you're anywhere near done. Difficulty levels were a nice inclusion but it seems either they get guessed immediately or are way too abstract to ever be gotten. Still manages to be fun though.

Minotaurus: Easily my favorite. The wall moving can be downright nasty at times and although the Minotaur isn't a huge part of the game, it's like this lurking thing you always have to be aware of. Great fun for kids and adults. This is probably the only one I'd play with a group of adult friends.

Harry Potter: This game is pretty devious. The way the board moves, or can be moved, makes planning far in advance impossible. It's a good mix of strategy and luck. Might be a bit too advanced for really young players, but they'll still enjoy playing. The alternate rules/pieces are really great in this one too.

Ramses Pyramid: It basically boils down to memory. There are little strategy elements like the gem stealing and skeleton moving, but ultimately this one is just a big memory test as to where certain colored gems are hidden. It's a really fun build though, looks great.

The best part about all these games is if you find them boring, you can make up your own rules. I know that's true of about any board game, but with the Lego games it just seems more natural. Sometimes I felt like "hey I paid for these, shouldn't you have fleshed this out a bit better before throwing it on a shelf?". Some feel very thrown together and you can't help but wonder if they actually played the game because the flaws in them are very obvious on every play. In the end, the kids enjoy them and that's what we got them for. (Seriously, buy Minotaurus)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I see someone isn't a Brenden Frasier fan :colbert:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I like the text listing, its alot more discrete than checking brickset's lists.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I'd love some custom rule ideas for Heroics if anybody wants to post a bunch.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'd love some custom rule ideas for Heroics if anybody wants to post a bunch.

My son dreamed up a most of these, and they make the game way more fun for adults:

-Use the crowbar as an insta-death trap
-PVP - just like fighting a normal monster, but attacking gives you 'first strike' so you can get lucky and get away unscathed
-Weapons give +1 health and damage
'Boss' monsters that can kick rear end
-Allow players to buy back monsters they've killed with gold and put them anywhere on the board, usually cost 1gp per monster damage (so bats cost 1gp, zombies 2gp, etc)
-Make the win condition to return to the start of the board with the trophy (you get really great PVP battles when you combine this and the ability to buy back monsters)
-New obstacles like fires that burn you for a dice roll of damage if you pass through them, or kill you instantly if you stop on them
-Rolling two 4's in a row lets you bomb a 5x5 square of the board, killing anything

He has a bunch more, but those are the main ones I remember off the top of my head.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Which I'm not going to keep pimping I promise.

I don't see anyone crucifying you over saving them money on expensive plastic bricks :)

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sloppy posted:

My son dreamed up a most of these, and they make the game way more fun for adults:

-Use the crowbar as an insta-death trap
-PVP - just like fighting a normal monster, but attacking gives you 'first strike' so you can get lucky and get away unscathed
-Weapons give +1 health and damage
'Boss' monsters that can kick rear end
-Allow players to buy back monsters they've killed with gold and put them anywhere on the board, usually cost 1gp per monster damage (so bats cost 1gp, zombies 2gp, etc)
-Make the win condition to return to the start of the board with the trophy (you get really great PVP battles when you combine this and the ability to buy back monsters)
-New obstacles like fires that burn you for a dice roll of damage if you pass through them, or kill you instantly if you stop on them
-Rolling two 4's in a row lets you bomb a 5x5 square of the board, killing anything

He has a bunch more, but those are the main ones I remember off the top of my head.

Nice! Keep em coming!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Went to Target in Nashua and saw the Series 6 box, fumbled around with the packages(someone had ripped open a few and stolen half a Genie, among others) and came out with eight. I'm not so good at it though as I thought I'd grabbed a couple Minotaurs, but wound up with none. At least I got a Space Girl! All in all, I got:

Statue of Liberty
Space Girl
Surgeon
Genie
2x Fonzies
2x Punk Skater Girl

I really wish they were 2.50 each. It's somehow much easier dropping 10 on 4, rather than 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Went to Target in Nashua and saw the Series 6 box, fumbled around with the packages(someone had ripped open a few and stolen half a Genie, among others) and came out with eight. I'm not so good at it though as I thought I'd grabbed a couple Minotaurs, but wound up with none. At least I got a Space Girl! All in all, I got:

Statue of Liberty
Space Girl
Surgeon
Genie
2x Fonzies
2x Punk Skater Girl

I really wish they were 2.50 each. It's somehow much easier dropping 10 on 4, rather than 12.

Toys R Us just had a sale where they were 2 for $5. Not sure if that sale is still ongoing.