Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Propagandalf posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Veins McGee posted:

This is a quote from an article about the 1979 war with Vietnam.
The operational tenets preached by the PLA:

Xiaoming Zhang "China's 1979 War with Vietnam" posted:

Xu Shiyou responded to the central leadership's war requirements with an approach known as niudao shaji (using a butcher's knife to kill a chick).

That sounds less like an operational doctrine and more like Micromancer's idea of a fun weekend. :buddy:

agadhahab
Feb 4, 2009
You mean baby chicken, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Groda posted:

What is this flying radome storage cabinet? Was this one of those attempts at stealth through coating the airplane with enough quarter-wave dipoles to destructively interfere with its own radar return?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Frozen Horse posted:

What is this flying radome storage cabinet? Was this one of those attempts at stealth through coating the airplane with enough quarter-wave dipoles to destructively interfere with its own radar return?

No it's an EW/ELINT aircraft. Do try and keep up?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Flanker posted:

No it's an EW/ELINT aircraft. Do try and keep up?

It looks like it has some sort of... airplane rash.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's the ELINT equivalent of tactilol.

ELINTLOL.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

FrozenVent posted:

It's the ELINT equivalent of tactilol.

ELINTLOL.

Considering modern sensors can do the same thing with 2 antennas, yes. It actually is.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Isn't that the plane that killed Pablo Escobar, albeit indirectly?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thought that was a MC-12 (or whatever the Guardrail is) at first glance, maybe that's a newer craft I'm thinking of though.

Anyways, here is a nice write-up about the Omani Air Force. I don't remember if I got the initial link from here or not, but I'll share again!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

F-16XL is a drat sexy/odd plane.

Also, the F-16 is lucky that the AIM-120 was manufactured and made the F-16 viable for BVR stuff.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

F-16XL looks so awesome

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Smiling Jack posted:

F-16XL looks so awesome

If you had asked me to draw "an awesome fighter jet" when I was 8 that's pretty much exactly what you would have gotten.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you had asked me to draw "an awesome fighter jet" when I was 8 that's pretty much exactly what you would have gotten.

I do like how wonderfully goofy the F-15 thrust vectoring testbed looks as well.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

When I was 8 I drew a picture of the X-29 and sent it to Grumman with a letter that basically said "hello your planes rule, I drew a picture" and I got back a letter from the freaking company president and a poo poo-ton of Grumman swag.

It was pretty awesome.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

LP97S posted:

I love that General Dynamics reused the tail colors of the YF-16 on the XL. Any time I see a picture of either a wave of nostalgia runs through my veins.

I think every kid I knew had one of these at some point during the 80s.

Smiling Jack posted:

When I was 8 I drew a picture of the X-29 and sent it to Grumman with a letter that basically said "hello your planes rule, I drew a picture" and I got back a letter from the freaking company president and a poo poo-ton of Grumman swag.

I used to write really really horrible poems about the SR-71 in elementary school and I sent them to Lockheed. You were lucky, I just got a "thank you" letter from an intern.

But your pictures were probably way better than my lovely writing.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

I do like how wonderfully goofy the F-15 thrust vectoring testbed looks as well.

There was a royal PITA squadron of these in Ace Combat Zero, if I recall correctly too.

Ace Combat :allears:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Toy plane chat? Check this bad boy out (I think I had it around 1990 when I was 5).

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

I still have my Valkyrie and is still my favorite fake plane.

and to go with the F-15 STOL/MTD picture some more thrust vectoring prototypes.

JudgeJoeBrown fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 23, 2012

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Totally TWISTED posted:

Toy plane chat? Check this bad boy out (I think I had it around 1990 when I was 5).

The neighbor kid had that and there are no words for how jealous I was. He also had a Soundwave transformer that I could never ever have.

EDIT: That would have been around 1987 though...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had that Cobra plane and it was loving awesome. The piggyback miniplane, the lowering cockpit, the drop down missile bay, the sweet landing gear.. It was kick rear end.

Weirdly the toy itself actually looks a lot better than the box art which is a little wonky looking.

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/nightraven/nightraven_iso.shtml

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

And now we get to the heart of TFR: military toys (literally). :v:

(I wasn't allowed anything "violent" as a kid and mostly played with lego)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
My granddad bought me a literal sea of plastic firearms imported from Taiwan.

I've always had fake/real guns. Who knows.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When I was in first grade I went through a phase where I dressed like a cowboy and carried a capgun single six on my hip every day. I also rolled around with some all-metal daisy bb gun from the 40s or 50s. I'm pretty sure that would get a kid killed today.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mlmp08 posted:

I'm pretty sure that would get a kid killed today.

Either killed or sent to "special" classes prepared to deal with obviously disturbed children.

I had a friend who had this

When we had outgrown GI Joe sometime around 1989 we decided to take turns hitting it with a baseball bat. It was surprisingly hard to break.

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 23, 2012

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When I outgrew playing with army men, my friends and I decided to just make a BB gun marksmanship game of setting up and shooting apart each others armies. They make great little targets for backyard plinking.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

The day I got my first bb gun is also the day I ran out of action figures. My 9th birthday.

mlmp08 posted:

When I outgrew playing with army men, my friends and I decided to just make a BB gun marksmanship game of setting up and shooting apart each others armies. They make great little targets for backyard plinking.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Scratch Monkey posted:

I had a friend who had this

I had that. It was awesome. The swing wing was cats rear end.

Also, you might want to watch the leeching. You get probated for that here.

\/ Sorry - just saw the joe link! :)

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 23, 2012

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

slidebite posted:

Also, you might want to watch the leeching. You get probated for that here.

Not leeching. The image is hosted by imgur. The link goes to the page I found it on.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Can someone explain to me what, if any, role Guantanamo Bay played in the Cuban Missile Crisis? It seems like would be pretty useless, even though it is essentially an established beach head, because every Cuban and Soviet weapon was probably pointed at it and the skies above it at all times.

Also, minefields.

edit: I guess Guantanamo is actually further from certain parts of Cuba than Miami, so it would be kind of a moot point, not to mention the fact that the crisis had already accelerated beyond traditional warfare anyway.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 23, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Boomerjinks posted:

Can someone explain to me what, if any, role Guantanamo Bay played in the Cuban Missile Crisis? It seems like would be pretty useless, even though it is essentially an established beach head, because every Cuban and Soviet weapon was probably pointed at it and the skies above it at all times.

Also, minefields.

edit: I guess Guantanamo is actually further from certain parts of Cuba than Miami, so it would be kind of a moot point, not to mention the fact that the crisis had already accelerated beyond traditional warfare anyway.
An old neighbor of mine was stationed at Gitmo during the crisis, and said he didn't even know about it until the 2nd day, and only then found out from his friends talking to their family back in the states. I'm sure the senior officers there knew what was going on, but kinda puts their reaction into perspective...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can anyone solve this?

? + 35 + 71 * Tupolev? - 130 / ? + ?

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 24, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

fuf posted:

Can anyone solve this?

14 + ? + 71 * ? - ? / ? + ?

111+35+71*16-130/2+?

F-111, Draken/Saab 35, SR-71, Tu-16 Badger, C-130, U-2, and I'm not sure what the last one is...the curved delta initially made me think some sort of SST (either the Concorde or the Tu-144), but it's pretty clearly a single engine design. I've seen it before, I just can't place it...I want to say it is some Dassault one off experimental prototype type aircraft, but I can't say that for certain. It definitely isn't any of their production Deltas (III, IV, 2000, etc.) because those all had a straighter wing.

Regardless, if we follow order of operations we get 1217+ whatever the mystery plane is.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 24, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Nicely done!

Someone beat me to it though. The last, mystery plane is hard, and I never would have got it. If I tell you that the correct answer is 1438 maybe you can work it out. ;)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
BAC 221

e:

had the reply window open before you posted, while searching, so I still feel like a winner :colbert:

Was looking at Fairey Deltas first, overlooked the little blurb on wiki about the 221 rebuild and spent another 20 minutes until I finally found it.

What's up with the 1438?

Koesj fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 24, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

fuf posted:

Nicely done!

Someone beat me to it though. The last, mystery plane is hard, and I never would have got it. If I tell you that the correct answer is 1438 maybe you can work it out. ;)

poo poo, I KNEW I'd seen that before somewhere. Definitely wouldn't have gotten it without the hint, though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

poo poo, I KNEW I'd seen that before somewhere. Definitely wouldn't have gotten it without the hint, though.

The ogival delta together with the sixties aerodynamics gives it away, couldn't have been anything else than a prototype connected to Concorde.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Well done.

Koesj posted:

What's up with the 1438?

Actually the guy that made it got the order of operations wrong and thought the answer was 1898. Whether that has any more significance as an answer than 1438 I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

fuf posted:

Actually the guy that made it got the order of operations wrong and thought the answer was 1898. Whether that has any more significance as an answer than 1438 I'm not sure.

Yeah I figured he got the math messed up.

http://911woodybox.blogspot.com/2009/03/united-1898-cleveland-airport-mystery.html