Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm gonna power through KhanAcademy and finish calc 2 just to prove how badass an artist I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I'm a level designer and what is calc 2?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Fishbus posted:

I'm a level designer and what is calc 2?

It's a programming thing, you wouldn't understand.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I've been thinking of doing 2D art in games as a job for the longest time, but I don't have any experience working in the field, and apart from a media course in college have no real education in that area to show for it.

How important is having a good portfolio of work over say, having a degree in art or design? Is it likely that I'll need to have both to have even a fighting chance?

Probably pretty dumb questions but I'm just trying to weigh my options at the moment and I'm really not sure as to what I should be focusing on.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Supernorn posted:

I've been thinking of doing 2D art in games as a job for the longest time, but I don't have any experience working in the field, and apart from a media course in college have no real education in that area to show for it.

How important is having a good portfolio of work over say, having a degree in art or design? Is it likely that I'll need to have both to have even a fighting chance?

Probably pretty dumb questions but I'm just trying to weigh my options at the moment and I'm really not sure as to what I should be focusing on.

To reiterate the voice of many: Portfolio is king

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Portfolio is maybe 90% of what people will care about.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mutata posted:

I'm gonna power through KhanAcademy and finish calc 2 just to prove how badass an artist I am.

Got a link for that? (Calc 2 in specific that is.) Last time I went looking the site was organized oddly...

NotAHero
Jul 29, 2006
-------

Hughlander posted:

Got a link for that? (Calc 2 in specific that is.) Last time I went looking the site was organized oddly...

http://www.khanacademy.org/#calculus? For Calc 2, I'd guess you'd start with "The Indefinite Integral or Anti-derivative" video, then watch sequentially from there.

There's also http://patrickjmt.com/, which I liked better than Khan Academy (though Khan's videos are good stuff too).

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Supernorn posted:

A lot of people I work with either didn't go to college or have a degree in something unrelated. Its all about your portfolio.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Who wants to work on the next MGS?

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/gdc2012/index.html

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Who wants to work on the next MGS?

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/gdc2012/index.html

I'd apply, but I wont be at GDC. Unless someone wants to host me...

aiHD
May 29, 2007

A brand new, snake-filled day.
So tempted to apply for that poo poo - already got my JLPT1 and everything. That said, it's gonna be competitive as gently caress and I don't feel too confident. :(

Anyone here got any Japan-specific graduate programmer advice?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We got bought out by a publicly traded company last summer, and I have to say, ESPPs and complicated bonus structures both confuse me, and add great incentive to really deliver awesome games. I was motivated before just because making games is awesome, but seeing direct impact on game quality versus pay is pretty crazy.

On the other hand, the rules of what I can talk about, especially on the internet, are insane and often contradict themselves.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

In general, you don't get substantial raises in the games industry short of changing studios. Usually an internal promotion results in a title change and more responsibility for a fraction of what you'd be paid under that title elsewhere.

Question about this: I'm a junior in the industry that's come to this conclusion. When do you know it's right to start looking for something next? I know what I'm worth and what I can and can't do... I'm just totally new to the idea of jumping around companies as career steps. I know what I'm worth and what I can and cannot do... am I'm missing something for the equation?

I'm in production if that helps.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

BULBASAUR posted:

Question about this: I'm a junior in the industry that's come to this conclusion. When do you know it's right to start looking for something next? I know what I'm worth and what I can and can't do... I'm just totally new to the idea of jumping around companies as career steps. I know what I'm worth and what I can and cannot do... am I'm missing something for the equation?

I'm in production if that helps.

For me (as a programmer) I find the big driver of when to switch jobs is when I find what I'm doing boring. There is a lot of potential for things to go wrong with job changes (personality conflicts, not liking new areas if you relocate, etc.) that leaving a job I like just for more pay isn't something I would do unless I was pretty dramatically underpaid (e.g. 50%+ under what I could get elsewhere).

When switching jobs there is a period of reduced productivity so even if you are underpaid now you may be able to keep progressing in responsibility so you can get an even larger bump when moving later.

If you're curious try applying for jobs and seeing where it goes.

edit:

aiHD posted:

So tempted to apply for that poo poo - already got my JLPT1 and everything. That said, it's gonna be competitive as gently caress and I don't feel too confident. :(

Anyone here got any Japan-specific graduate programmer advice?

I don't imagine there will be a lot of competition for senior positions if they want people to relocate to Japan, but I pity the person trying to filter out entry level resumes.

Anecdotal, but one of the programmers here worked in Japan for a while. The impression I have is programmers in Japan are dramatically underpaid (~30% of US pay and Tokyo is more expensive than any of the US hubs) and not respected very much compared to in the US. Plus the culture difference can be pretty shocking - weekly desk cleaning time, weird "bonus" structure, different levels of directness during collaboration, pressure to not leave before your boss under any circumstances, etc.

In short I'd say stay away unless you've got some sort of unique oppurtunity. If you want to hang out in Japan you'd be better off trying to get a US based job with a Japanese developer or even just teaching English.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 22, 2012

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Jaytan posted:

but I pity the person trying to filter out entry level resumes.
I wanna say that since they are only accepting resumes AT GDC will provide a decent starting filter. but that is just my opinion.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
A lot of people just flip you a card and say "e-mail it to us" these days. Half of them do it because they want to go green, and half of them do it because they don't want to deal with you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GetWellGamers posted:

A lot of people just flip you a card and say "e-mail it to us" these days. Half of them do it because they want to go green, and half of them do it because they don't want to deal with you.

Are there people cruisin the floor with portfolios on their tablets these days? That seems like it could be really cool or really gimmicky.

Man, I kinda wish I could swing a trip to GDC this year. I'm on the prowl for jobs in a big way lately, but I can't stomach the ~$350 in airfare plus entrance fee plus whatever-else...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

mutata posted:

Are there people cruisin the floor with portfolios on their tablets these days? That seems like it could be really cool or really gimmicky.
I know programmers have been doing this for ages, even if it's just a Youtube video of a cool game on their phone. I don't think you'd necessarily want to throw it at a recruiter, but if you're in a conversation, passing across a phone with a "hey so check out what I'm working on" is way, way easier than "ok so go to this website and then go there and click that and then tell me what you thought!".

Tablets just enhance that. Bigger screen, easier to pass around, works with a crowd, etc. Ditto for having an actual mobile game to get feedback on, if you happen to be working on such.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a decent amount of hiring at GDC? I know networking is key to getting anywhere decent in the industry; would you recommend job-seekers make the trek out to GDC?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

lavhoes posted:

Is there a decent amount of hiring at GDC? I know networking is key to getting anywhere decent in the industry; would you recommend job-seekers make the trek out to GDC?

A ton of hiring happens at GDC, and if you're applying anywhere large between February and April, you'll probably get beat out by someone who went to GDC and talked to the devs in person. Just giving the hiring person your resume won't get you much farther, what you need to do is get the process started before GDC, and then arrange a meetup at GDC.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

lavhoes posted:

I'm going out there to do just that! But I work Community which is a lot easier to make an impression by just talking with people (and it's more likely that Community-related people will be out at conferences) than just "hey here is a code sample chunk, why don't you read it over and tell me if you think I'm right for a job here" or whatever it is programmers do to get hired.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

How effective would it be for someone who's never been and can only go for a day? I could probably find some people to meet up with, but the majority of the time would be spent on the floor trying to make contacts and show my stuff. I hear anecdotes that most of the REAL business is conducted off the floor...

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I went to GDC two years ago and I didn't get much accomplished, but then again, I think I was neither ready nor in the right mind set. I had my demo reel on my iPod and my portfolio under my arm, and I would walk around showing them to people at different booths. If you are a student, with no experience, looking for a job, most people will just dismiss you and tell you to go online and apply there. The one good thing I did get from all this was all the info I gathered. You can ask the people at the booths what they are looking for in a portfolio, what openings they have and so on. Some companies will also have art directors/ animators/ etc. (if you are an artist) who are kind enough to give you a critique if you ask. In fact, that is probably the best thing I got out of GDC.

I've talked to several people ever since and from what I gather, it seems to me that you don't really go to GDC to apply for jobs. You go there to network, talk with people and make connections, all things I didn't really do while I was there. Going to the parties and bars, meeting people and handing out your card can be more beneficial than browsing the expo area and dropping your resume at every single booth.

Right now I'm on the fence about going again, I think I would get a lot more out of it than I did last time but I'm not sure I can justify the cost at this moment.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I think I'd be more inclined to go if I were fresh out of school, but as it is now I'm a concept artist looking for my third job, with three years already in the industry. I have some contacts around, but so far I've still yet to make contact with anyone in a position to hire me.

Based on what you just said, though, I might get more out of it now than I would have back before I'd gotten my first job? If I go, my plan was to load up my portfolio on my tablet, with my work also printed out in a binder as well, bring business cards and art sample postcards to hand out, and just start talking to as many artists and developers as I can both on and off the floor. I'm not sure if this would be better than my current approach, which is to use what people I know already to introduce me via LinkedIn or e-mail to people at companies that are hiring. I imagine face-to-face is infinitely better than online networking, but given that I know of nobody else going, I'd be on my own, basically doing the same thing as everyone else.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I really want to go to GDC, but I feel the only reason I'd like to go there is when I actually want to give a talk. Which is probably a few years away at least :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I bought an iPad for the express purpose of demoing poo poo at GDC this year :)

When I last went 5 years ago I had a print portfolio and as a noob it was a great blessing because nobody gives a poo poo about you and being able to show them your work in less time than it takes for them to say "e-mail us your stuff" was really vital to starting a "dialogue" (and maybe if you're lucky, a real conversation).

As a noob trying to break into the industry I got about 5-6 solid leads out of about 100 handshakes at the job expo part. Previous years without that I had none.

If you're competing with a bunch of other unknown entry-level student folks, differentiating yourself in a positive way by showing initiative and being able to put forward your ability rather than a nervous hand and sweat-soaked resume opens people up to talk to you.

It's important to have big images, so if you don't have a big tablet, go the print route instead. Laptops are cumbersome to use and navigate as well. iPods or phones are not something I'd bother with.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

mutata posted:

How effective would it be for someone who's never been and can only go for a day?

If you're talking about the student friday pass... I dunno, I mean, part of me says any networking is good networking, but at the same time, friday's one of the worst days. Everyone's tired and hung over and so on, most of them just want to leave. I mean, if you had to go only one day, I'd say thursday is the best, that perfect equilibrium of settled in but not worn out.

And I know a lot of recruiters love art portfolios on tablets, because you just hand them this lightweight little square and they flick their finger across it, boom, done. It also makes it super-easy to tailor your portfolios- going to EA? Queue up the "Cars, Jets, and Football Players" slideshow. Insomniac? Here's my "Cartoony Sci-Fi" portfolio. Ubisoft? Bust out the "Modern Espionage characters/settings" portfolio. And instead of lugging around each individual hardcopy portfolio, it's all on one tablet. It even has the added benefit of them thinking you're the primary company you're interested in, even if you've got a hundred portfolios ready to go on it, as opposed to the dude with a wagon full of hardbound portfolios handing each off to every booth in the career fair.

Designers, programmers, same thing. Have your games, your programs, anything to visually communicate your work reay to go, and a tablet's great for it. Iphones work, too, I've seen PSPs used a lot... For designers additionally, being able to just play a quick demo version right there a the show is a good idea.

The "Holy trinity" of GDC stuff for designers is a video cued up if they wanna see it, a portable playable version if they want to get a taste of it on the show floor; and a business card with a link to an in-browser (ideally) playable version if they really wanna chew through it when they get home.

...Holy wall of text, batman. I think I'll shut up for now, except to say that anyone who's going to GDC and will be there tuesday night, we've still got spots left on the GameDevGoons Dinner if you wanna hang out with the cool kids.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

lavhoes posted:

I think I'd be more inclined to go if I were fresh out of school, but as it is now I'm a concept artist looking for my third job, with three years already in the industry. I have some contacts around, but so far I've still yet to make contact with anyone in a position to hire me.

Based on what you just said, though, I might get more out of it now than I would have back before I'd gotten my first job? If I go, my plan was to load up my portfolio on my tablet, with my work also printed out in a binder as well, bring business cards and art sample postcards to hand out, and just start talking to as many artists and developers as I can both on and off the floor. I'm not sure if this would be better than my current approach, which is to use what people I know already to introduce me via LinkedIn or e-mail to people at companies that are hiring. I imagine face-to-face is infinitely better than online networking, but given that I know of nobody else going, I'd be on my own, basically doing the same thing as everyone else.

I'm in a similar situation, I am an animator with 1.5 years of experience and looking for my second job. If anything, I think that already knowing some people is better because as you say, they will help you expand your circle whether it is via linked-in or in person. Of course, getting to know people face to face is easier.

I can't guarantee that the second time will be better, I have only been there once myself, but I mean, at the very least your portfolio should be improved and you have more experience so I would imagine that people would be more receptive. Regardless, my point was that as a second time participant I would make a bigger effort to network and meet people rather than expecting to find a job right away.

GetWellGamers posted:

I've seen PSPs used a lot...

:doh: Why didn't I think of this before. Better than an iPod.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 23, 2012

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

GameDevGoons Dinner ... cool kids.

You sure about that? :haw:

For what it's worth I've never gone to a GDC with a circle of connections until this GDC. I've gone with other students before but students don't function as a network.

Also the most amusing thing is if you look at all like you have your poo poo together students will try to network with you...don't be the guy networking with other students.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That's really a toss up then for me. I'm a newbie, but I do have about a year and a few months industry experience. I have some contacts, but they're all fairly new, and I'm also starting thinking about going a bit late. I have a portfolio ready and I could be ready to go quickly, it just comes down to money. It would be a big hit to get there and get a non-student pass plus missed work... I am very conflicted, haha.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

You sure about that? :haw:

Also the most amusing thing is if you look at all like you have your poo poo together students will try to network with you... don't be the guy networking with other students.

Yeah, seriously, if the dude's just got "Designer" as his title and the studio has his name in it, it's probably not worth keeping that card.

And yes I'm sure. I'm super cool, and so is my dinner. :kamina:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

mutata posted:

How effective would it be for someone who's never been and can only go for a day? I could probably find some people to meet up with, but the majority of the time would be spent on the floor trying to make contacts and show my stuff. I hear anecdotes that most of the REAL business is conducted off the floor...

Are you in SF? Do you have friends in SF? If you're really motivated you can just hit up all the parties after the conference to get the networking done. Bring your friends as your support group. Tell them they can have all the free booze at the parties as payment.

Jaytan posted:

For me (as a programmer) I find the big driver of when to switch jobs is when I find what I'm doing boring. There is a lot of potential for things to go wrong with job changes (personality conflicts, not liking new areas if you relocate, etc.) that leaving a job I like just for more pay isn't something I would do unless I was pretty dramatically underpaid (e.g. 50%+ under what I could get elsewhere).

When switching jobs there is a period of reduced productivity so even if you are underpaid now you may be able to keep progressing in responsibility so you can get an even larger bump when moving later.

If you're curious try applying for jobs and seeing where it goes.

Thanks for this. You echo some of my feelings. Guess that's a good thing :shobon:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The non-job-expo networking that happens is unlikely to result in junior positions.

Really, the best part for junior folks is going to be the job expo, because you get to actually convey all the non-portfolio poo poo (look, I dress myself and can speak clearly! My passion comes through in my enthusiasm!) while simultaneously forcing your portfolio in front of a bunch of people who are there to smile at you.

A buddy of mine got his lead's invite to an Eidos party and invited me along...without either of knowing it was for senior Eidos execs. I was gladhanding business cards to Global This And Thats for an hour while sucking down free martinis before we decided to find a cooler party :v: Suffice it to say I've never had an interview at Eidos.

aiHD
May 29, 2007

A brand new, snake-filled day.

Jaytan posted:

I don't imagine there will be a lot of competition for senior positions if they want people to relocate to Japan, but I pity the person trying to filter out entry level resumes.

Anecdotal, but one of the programmers here worked in Japan for a while. The impression I have is programmers in Japan are dramatically underpaid (~30% of US pay and Tokyo is more expensive than any of the US hubs) and not respected very much compared to in the US. Plus the culture difference can be pretty shocking - weekly desk cleaning time, weird "bonus" structure, different levels of directness during collaboration, pressure to not leave before your boss under any circumstances, etc.

In short I'd say stay away unless you've got some sort of unique oppurtunity. If you want to hang out in Japan you'd be better off trying to get a US based job with a Japanese developer or even just teaching English.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm aware of most of the disparities (James Kay's blog Japanmanship is pretty much required reading for anyone considering Japan) but given my training it's a door I'm trying to keep as open as I can.

I figure at this point I'll just drop my application in a bunch of places and hope for the best.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Volunteering at GDC presents a bunch of fantastic networking opportunities, and you get into the expo for free, which saves a lot of money. I haven't done it myself, but I've known quite a few people who have made great contacts through volunteering.

wasabimilkshake
Aug 21, 2007

North Carolina votes yes.
Absolutely so. Being a part of the CA network is an invaluable benefit both during and after the conference. Of secondary benefit is having access to a giant room in which to pass out between sessions. Also, the pass is All Access, not just Expo, which means it also includes Vault access.

This'll be my third consecutive year volunteering at GDC, and I've also been invited by a large, generous company to speak at their expo booth, so I'll be experiencing the full week of GDC for the cost of BART fare from the airport :allears:

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
All this GDC talk is freaking me out about going to GDC.

I'm taking next week off just to work on my portfolio, though I'm not sure I'd be able to get it in a state I'd like it to be. The most impressive thing I've got so far would be the XNA implementation (at least I think it's the most impressive). I've got a OpenGL/SDL/etc C++ project that I'd like to get on the PS3, as well as a Unity project, but both haven't progressed as far as I'd like them to be. I still haven't got to a game with the C++ project, much less messing with the PS3 aside from some very minor things to learn the system, while my Unity project not being the game I want it to be just yet. I'm going to be working day and night, but I don't know if I can get my portfolio in the shape that I'd want it in by the time GDC starts.

Another thing is resumes. Should I have it ready to pass out? I'm guessing I'd use it for the job pavilion but even then I'm worried if even that's too much. I don't want to annoy people by asking for jobs, I mostly just want to meet and make acquaintances. I should probably get some business cards, though.

I'm mostly just getting more and more nervous, I guess. I'd feel like I'm approaching random people to look for a job, even though I'd genuinely like to talk them about their work and everything. How would I describe myself to people? Do I just say I'm working as a contractor for a web hosting company while looking to work in the industry? Or just say I'm a hobbyist?

Sorry about bugging you guys with all this.

EDIT: vvv phhbbttt whatever man I liked it. It's probably my lovely blinking animation that's doing your low self-esteem thing.

ShinAli fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

ShinAli posted:

stuff

I still get slightly freaked out when i see your avatar and I get to stare at all the glaring faults in that drawing staring right back at me again. /lowartistselfesteem :stare:

Also sparing a thought for akuma today who is having probably the least relaxing week off in his life, which is odd since I've had probably one of the quietest and most straightforward work weeks ever. COINCIDENCE? HMMM??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Up yours!

I haven't played any games but Warheads in weeks. Just can't seem to get back into playing them since starting to continue working once I'd got home. So I told myself I'd play some loving games on my week off.

Thursday night now, haven't played poo poo. Except Catacomb Snatch for like 5 minutes. Goddamn.