Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Does anyone have a good way to keep track of grime releases? Bass blog I follow doesn't really do grime releases so I'm left to piece together bits from the radio and Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Bonobo did a DJ set for the boiler room that seems kind of funky kind of steppy, so I thought I would share it with you guys. Sorry if it has been posted.

http://boilerroom.tv/bonobo-50-min-mix/

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Does anyone have a good way to keep track of grime releases? Bass blog I follow doesn't really do grime releases so I'm left to piece together bits from the radio and Twitter.

To be honest I find GrimeForum is still the best way to reliably find out what's coming up. The Grime Report is fine too but to be honest not much difference between the two regarding news. There's all your SB.TV and UKOverstood (for more of the UK Rap) too I guess, but again chances are anything on there might have been up on any of the above sites first.

Apart from those is what you're already doing, Twitter and radio.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

knox posted:

Really awesome. I wish I was Loefah, loving coolest dude ever.

Except for the fact that he runs a vinyl-only label and plays digital himself. Haha. /bitter

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

That's why I was saying earlier I'd love to hear him really shake things up a bit and be a bit more corporeal.

I know it isn't quite what you mean, but I've always been of the opinion that his tune 'Versus' BANGS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrScojjEgg

Plus it mixes really well with Pipe Dreams.

Edit: Pipe Dreams deserves posting in this thread if it hasn't been already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcV6MKObNyM

Anae fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 17, 2012

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You know what, if you asked this circa 2007 and Untrue/Ghost Hardware I'd have agreed with you. Now that definitely really shook up the Dubstep scene at the time, massively massively. Now though - as much as I like this new release and Street Halo before it(and I know some of you didn't) - I definitely don't think it he's as away out there as he used to be. Other people catching up maybe?

Like I said though I've been liking the sound of the Kindred EP, but it's definitely very Burial which does make me a bit worried for some reason. That's why I was saying earlier I'd love to hear him really shake things up a bit and be a bit more corporeal. On saying that though I can definitely hear him starting to do so at times with this release, gain a bit more presence. I wonder what the inevitable album will be like.

If you listened to Street Halo, it's a good way to see what the difference is between boilerplate Burial and what he did on Kindred, which is give his sound (as you said) more presence, and also more menace and muscle and a deep complexity. I know Untrue is his magnum opus but, personally, I was underwhelmed, if pleased, by Street Halo and subsequently blown away by Kindred.

Good talk.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

I know Untrue is his magnum opus but, personally, I was underwhelmed, if pleased, by Street Halo and subsequently blown away by Kindred.

Good talk.

Exactly this! As much as I love the guy, I was just starting to wonder if he was ploughing a furrow with Street Halo, even down to the name.

(funny though, isn't it - we let lots of other artists perfect a schtick and resell it, but poor Burial's been given the responsibility of giving us more, pushing the scene every time...)

Kindred has delivered, as far as I'm concerned.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

If you listened to Street Halo, it's a good way to see what the difference is between boilerplate Burial and what he did on Kindred, which is give his sound (as you said) more presence, and also more menace and muscle and a deep complexity. I know Untrue is his magnum opus but, personally, I was underwhelmed, if pleased, by Street Halo and subsequently blown away by Kindred.

Good talk.

Yeah definitely a bit underwhelmed by Street Halo also. I mean I liked it. But to me it was definitely a case of like, "oh it's Burial". Obviously signature sound but it was a bit too Burial if that makes any sense? Anyway Kindred is a lot better, like I said a bit more presence to it, so I'm looking forward to see what the LP brings and I hope that presence is gonna be ramp up a bit, I just want Burial to bring some pretty radically different to the table this time. If/when an LP appears of course.

Anae posted:

Except for the fact that he runs a vinyl-only label and plays digital himself. Haha. /bitter

I know it isn't quite what you mean, but I've always been of the opinion that his tune 'Versus' BANGS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrScojjEgg

Plus it mixes really well with Pipe Dreams.

Edit: Pipe Dreams deserves posting in this thread if it hasn't been already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcV6MKObNyM

Obviously Loefah runs a vinyl-only label because he's been in contact with me, and knows my super secret plan if I ever win the EuroMillions. Use my new found millions to hire an elite underground recently escaped from a maximum security facility group of super hackers to delete Beatport, iTunes and every digital download site from the face of the Earth... forever! Bwahahaha :wotwot:

Now I just need to win the EuroMillions and my evil scheme will be put in motion! It's only like a one in a billion or two chance. I'm feelin' lucky!

Anyway since you mentioned Pipe Dreams it makes me remember Soulja and Shelflife are two labels that have definitely kinda been forgotten about over the years. Sister labels to Tempa they really did put out a lot of good records. Soulja was maybe a bit more influential to that 05/06 Dubstep sound, but Shelflife was pretty much nothing but El-B/Ghost all time.

I uploaded it a while ago but here's Mark One - Rain Dance that was put out on Soulja, probably the first time I noticed Mark One.

Oh you've got Road and Vehicle as well. I'm pretty sure they were both Ammunition labels as well. So many good wee labels I'll need to have a good clean out soon and get them on the turntables.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Anae posted:

Woah, really?

Went to the Pinch show in DC last week, it was a really cool space (unused store front, looked like a mini-warehouse), and Pinch played all acetate & vinyl, as far as I could see. I was really in to the first third of his set, which was more of a techno vibe I guess.

And then next month I'm playing two, maybe three, shows:

- March 13th: opening & closing for FaltyDL and Four Tet (live set) at U Hall
- March 30th: my monthly with vegan straight-edge bass fiend Denman is happening, and SBTRKT is playing a live show in the main club above us, which I already bought a ticket for. Basically when that show ends, ours will start, and anyone in the main club can just come down to the basement venue for free for our night. Hoping that gets some new people through. And yes, I already put in a request for a surprise DJ set, waiting to hear back from the main venue. Not sure what kind of hoops we'll have to jump through.

And then another Friday next month I might be playing at a "classic" dubstep night. The guy throwing it said nothing released after 2008, so if I get booked, I'll probably go the breakstep route and play all my old Search & Destroy, Toasty, Vex'd and early Distance stuff.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

SUBFRIES posted:

- March 13th: opening & closing for FaltyDL and Four Tet (live set) at U Hall

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!! **fist pump of cool**

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Can this thread take a full page to just talk about Burial's work and how it's a mile above everyone else in the UK Bass scene. He might be a prophet.

Eh. While I think that Ashtray Wasp is probably one of his best tracks ever, I definitely don't think he's a mile above everyone else. I mean, take Objekt for example, whose production skills are easily levels above everyone else.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Woah, really?

Doesn't he play a mix of vinyl and (I want to say) Serato nowadays? Or is it strictly Serato now? I sometimes wonder if a lot of that is due to playing out in America more often. Do you guys still have weird 5 grand or something entertainment license/tax/visa thing that DJs need to have before they're allowed to play in the country. Well technically they're supposed to get it anyway. Pinch is still all vinyl and dubs, but tragedy of tragedies I think N-Type is using CDs more too. Shameful. Seriously promoters, coffin case. 2x1200s, some Shures and a Pioneer mixer or something. Bypass completely whatever terribleness the club has.

And man alive! Is pre-2008 really old skool now? My recommendation for that breakbeaty garage stuff? Zinc - Flim. It's not on Youtube but Horsepower did a great remix of it for the single. Worst case you can probably grab the album version really easily (Faster was a great album)

Anyway time for a quick round up of some of the recent and forthcoming releases, you already know about the new Randomer release and the new Night Slugs so let's see what else we have:

First up Various Productions return with Learn Faster b/w Air. Escaping from their Fire Records contract with this release on their own label. Learn Faster is a cool kinda minimal affair with some southful vocals on top of a snappy driving rhythm. Air kinda has a more trippy, spacy, thing going on. Actually speaking of if Burial was a bit more physical maybe it'd end up like this?

For folks wanting something along the lines of more traditional Dubstep (man I need to think of a better word than traditional), take a peak at Black Box Records stalwart DJ Madd and his new single Deeply ft. Lady Maroo. I'm assuming it's the first single off his forthcoming album and it's a peach. Fifty fathoms deep bass below some fantastic haunting vocals. Kinda reminds me of the likes of Distance's Falling actually. For fans of stuff like that.

From everyones favourite Finnish label Kojak Giant Sounds we have the latest release from Pat Les Stache, The Spirit Rides Again / Odeiyolaoo Mambo. First track is a real funk/disco number full of wailing guitars and crazy horn parts. But it's the other side that I'm really loving, the horns stay over such an amazing beat that just makes you get up and go. I can see this fitting right in with a lot of the more Broken stuff in my collection.

The Phantom! No not the purple one staring Billy Zane, this is the Polish guy on a Belgian label I've never heard of before now, but apparently have had more than a couple of digital releases out, by some big names at that! Just goes to show what I keep saying, if you really want to be recognised actually make something that exists in the real world. Anyway this is a great sounding wee EP. It's the first track that really gets me. Kinda mid-90s 4/4 UKG sounding if you ask me(but not retro at all!), complete with some really fantastic bouncey piano number. I like.

G-Town based tecchy House producer Sei A has a new number out, with a sweet, sweet remix by Martyn out now on Turbo. Martyn takes the home number and turns it into a amazing swaggering, bouncing Funky number that just blasts the original out the water.

Speaking of Martyn, his label 3024 has a new release in the form of Berlin Techno artist Redshape with Throw In Dirt/The Land. In Throw In DirtAwesome filtered to gently caress and looped vocals, a proper 80s Detroit sounding analogue bass cuts through an evil synthline. Not to mention we've got some kind of steel drum or gong things going on so fuckin yas! The Land definitely feels very Detroit as well, with that great hi-hat line that wouldn't be out of place on something off an old Metroplex or UR release. Very cinematic pads rise up and down too. 3024 has the quality but I'd love to see a bit more quantity out there too, especially if it's like this.

And speaking of Metroplex, anyone got a spare £30? 'cause I sure don't, but a part of me really wishes I did.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I sometimes wonder if a lot of that is due to playing out in America more often. Do you guys still have weird 5 grand or something entertainment license/tax/visa thing that DJs need to have before they're allowed to play in the country.

It might be $2000 U.S. for an artist's work visa, not sure though. I think you have to have something like 30 reviews or articles on your work too, but those 100 word record reviews from magazines count as press.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And man alive! Is pre-2008 really old skool now? My recommendation for that breakbeaty garage stuff? Zinc - Flim. It's not on Youtube but Horsepower did a great remix of it for the single. Worst case you can probably grab the album version really easily (Faster was a great album)

Apparently. Will have to go through what I have if I get booked for the show, it's mainly down to whether I'm available or not.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

For folks wanting something along the lines of more traditional Dubstep (man I need to think of a better word than traditional), take a peak at Black Box Records stalwart DJ Madd and his new single Deeply ft. Lady Maroo. I'm assuming it's the first single off his forthcoming album and it's a peach. Fifty fathoms deep bass below some fantastic haunting vocals. Kinda reminds me of the likes of Distance's Falling actually. For fans of stuff like that.

Lady Maroo is a friend of mine, she's based in Baltimore, and part of a hip-hop group called Math Panda. A lot of friends down here are excited about that collab, and possible future collabs. Came about b/c one of the guys from EXBC really likes DJ Madd's work, saw a post on Facebook where Madd said he was looking for vocalists, and Lady Maroo contacted him. She's also done a few vocal tracks with my old roommate SGNL.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Did you notice there's a new Old Apparatus release too, limited to 250 copies. Except it's cassette only..

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

SUBFRIES posted:

Woah, really?

When I saw him he played all Serato. Maybe he just couldn't bring his vinyl with him for whatever reason. Annoyed me more than it should have haha. Still a great set though. Just kills me that at most gigs I don't have the option of playing Swamp tunes because of horrendous decks.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

It might be $2000 U.S. for an artist's work visa, not sure though. I think you have to have something like 30 reviews or articles on your work too, but those 100 word record reviews from magazines count as press.

Apparently. Will have to go through what I have if I get booked for the show, it's mainly down to whether I'm available or not.

Lady Maroo is a friend of mine, she's based in Baltimore, and part of a hip-hop group called Math Panda. A lot of friends down here are excited about that collab, and possible future collabs. Came about b/c one of the guys from EXBC really likes DJ Madd's work, saw a post on Facebook where Madd said he was looking for vocalists, and Lady Maroo contacted him. She's also done a few vocal tracks with my old roommate SGNL.

Yeah I knew it was some crazy fee. Bloody taxmen! All for a night of dancing! Of course there's always doing what Bukem did in that old GLR documentary. Like the Bosch through Belgium nobody expects the sneak attack through Canada!

And hey that just shows you how small a world it is. Well you can tell her some random guy off the internet liked her stuff. Of course now that that cat's out the bag I'm expecting you to write something with her vocals on top now...

infinity2005 posted:

Did you notice there's a new Old Apparatus release too, limited to 250 copies. Except it's cassette only..

I didn't notice actually. Though that might be as I'm not actually a fan so that probably explains it. So hey there we go, for those of you who actually like cassette tapes Old Apparatus has a release on tape, only 250 copies dontcha know! Apparently. Well so says infinity2005, so if all that's wrong kick his arse, not mine.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah I knew it was some crazy fee. Bloody taxmen! All for a night of dancing! Of course there's always doing what Bukem did in that old GLR documentary. Like the Bosch through Belgium nobody expects the sneak attack through Canada!

Much harder to get away with nowadays, the border cops are more aware of this type of thing now. Same with American acts trying to get in to Canada for shows, happened to DJG a few months ago. I have heard of artists mailing their music ahead of the show as one way of trying to get to shows without raising suspicion.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And hey that just shows you how small a world it is. Well you can tell her some random guy off the internet liked her stuff. Of course now that that cat's out the bag I'm expecting you to write something with her vocals on top now...

I just let her know, and might be sending her some stuff to check out.

g
Jul 20, 2004

SUBFRIES posted:

IT's 1200$ USD per band memeber for an express visa application. It sucks. They always make you stress out until the very last minute. I hate the US.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Newest Systematic podcast is by Sei A, tracklist looks really good.
http://soundcloud.com/systematicrecordings/systematic-session-episode-153

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011
All the SBTRKT hype last year went right over my head, but lil silva's new vinyl-only remix has made me give it another shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS106-VeCkc

Also I recently found out Distal is a libertarian, i'm so crestfallen...

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I have swish on vinyl

im so happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--XDo2FonKA

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
Burial's great single work is imo shutta. But a few thoughts about the latest ep after a couple of listens.

The beats sound a lot straighter than his previous stuff, and not just because b1 + b2 have a 4x4 kick, but there seems to be a lot less movement going on generally, a lot less rhythmic ambiguity (which I think shutta is probably the the ultimate example). you could sort of say the same thing about the vocal hooks, for example in ashtray wasp the sample 'I belong to you, oooo oo' is left relatively untreated - laid bare this sounds rather out of step with the rest of the track, or in fact most of his other productions which rely on more abstract snippets of heart bleeding rnb to a more ambiguous and powerful effect. to hear the full phrase destroys the mystery.

The ep generally is I think lacking obfuscation - that which makes his older stuff so effective. or maybe it's just got to the point where the formula has stopped doing it for me, i dunno.

One thing that I did like is the more... expansive format of ie ashtray wasp. Given his style (textual, often beatless, not strictly dance-floor, soundtrack to urban-x,y,z) and the way he supposedly constructs his songs (as parts of a larger whole) I'm surprised it's taken him so long to try some extended experimentation with song structure. i think this is probably the most interesting thing about the EP, but not really pushed very far in any case which is a bit annoying.

/burial thoughts

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Ordered a copy of LOL Boys - Moments In Heartbreak. Been waiting for this edit ever since I heard it in Mele's Boiler Room set. Free shipping (in NA) for a few more days as well from the Unonyc site.

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf

mr box posted:

Burial's great single work is imo shutta. But a few thoughts about the latest ep after a couple of listens.

The beats sound a lot straighter than his previous stuff, and not just because b1 + b2 have a 4x4 kick, but there seems to be a lot less movement going on generally, a lot less rhythmic ambiguity (which I think shutta is probably the the ultimate example). you could sort of say the same thing about the vocal hooks, for example in ashtray wasp the sample 'I belong to you, oooo oo' is left relatively untreated - laid bare this sounds rather out of step with the rest of the track, or in fact most of his other productions which rely on more abstract snippets of heart bleeding rnb to a more ambiguous and powerful effect. to hear the full phrase destroys the mystery.

The ep generally is I think lacking obfuscation - that which makes his older stuff so effective. or maybe it's just got to the point where the formula has stopped doing it for me, i dunno.

One thing that I did like is the more... expansive format of ie ashtray wasp. Given his style (textual, often beatless, not strictly dance-floor, soundtrack to urban-x,y,z) and the way he supposedly constructs his songs (as parts of a larger whole) I'm surprised it's taken him so long to try some extended experimentation with song structure. i think this is probably the most interesting thing about the EP, but not really pushed very far in any case which is a bit annoying.

/burial thoughts

Dude the first words on Untrue are "Holding you, good at being alone / Kissing you, tell me I belong."

Nothing was all that obfuscated by the treatment of the samples (shell of light, "Closer," Ghost Hardware, "Love you"). In fact, I'd say the fact that the way the vocals on the Kindred EP tend to flit in and out of coherence contributes to its sense of menace. Go to 4:30 in Ashtray Wasp and tell me what is being said there doesn't go beyond words. I find your whole line of reasoning weird and UNTRUE (get it?)

mr box
Mar 6, 2001

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Dude the first words on Untrue are "Holding you, good at being alone / Kissing you, tell me I belong."

Nothing was all that obfuscated by the treatment of the samples (shell of light, "Closer," Ghost Hardware, "Love you"). In fact, I'd say the fact that the way the vocals on the Kindred EP tend to flit in and out of coherence contributes to its sense of menace. Go to 4:30 in Ashtray Wasp and tell me what is being said there doesn't go beyond words. I find your whole line of reasoning weird and UNTRUE (get it?)

ok you've misheard the lyrics in untrue which sort of proves my point. only sort of because i'm not talking just about the literal meaning of words - contra. above: EVERYTHING is obfuscated when you have a sample that simply says 'love you'.

i am only talking about that specific sample in ashtray wasp btw, i accept the rest of the ep is in step. but maybe it isn't a lack of obfuscation, maybe it is just a poo poo sample? i'm not exaggerating when i say it ruins that track for me. sorry if this is a bit scattered but i'm late for work....

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Ok cool enough Burial chat everyone.

New Fade to Mind (Gremino) Comes Out Today

ALSO FRIENDLY REMINDER: Jam City Still Rules

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Scuba's album came out today. I'm listening now, expecting something awesome. http://soundcloud.com/hotflush/sets/scuba-personality/

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

SUBFRIES posted:

Much harder to get away with nowadays, the border cops are more aware of this type of thing now. Same with American acts trying to get in to Canada for shows, happened to DJG a few months ago. I have heard of artists mailing their music ahead of the show as one way of trying to get to shows without raising suspicion.

I just let her know, and might be sending her some stuff to check out.

Yeah, when we booked Dillinja and LemonD, Dillinja had his work visa or whatever, but LemonD didn't and as soon as he landed in the US they made him go home cause they saw all of his vinyl.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Firaga posted:

Scuba's album came out today. I'm listening now, expecting something awesome. http://soundcloud.com/hotflush/sets/scuba-personality/

Very refreshing album. Love Scuba's experimentation with sounds and the fact that he can blend together deep house, techno, electro and 170 tracks into one LP and still get away with it. Really enjoyed it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If you're into the halfstep sound, the Boka Artillery releases are really nice. Grimey and have those obscured tv/movie vocal samples in em. Compa did Vol. 2 and I think Killawatt did Vol. 1 (maybe).

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Lock on to the Slutstep hype!

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Tactical Grace posted:

Lock on to the Slutstep hype!

Oh man no offence to anybody but I hate candy ravers. My city is full of people that would totally eat this stuff up and white knight this chick forever. I wish some of the dubstep producers and DJs in my city got called out like this, maybe we'd have some more consistency and maybe kids would grow up listening to music that's a little better.
I guess that's the worst part about candy ravers here, they are mostly between the ages of 14-16 and think this stuff is the pinnacle of electronic music, parties, and raves. Also, ketamine.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Dubplate Fire posted:

Yeah, when we booked Dillinja and LemonD, Dillinja had his work visa or whatever, but LemonD didn't and as soon as he landed in the US they made him go home cause they saw all of his vinyl.

I was sooooo lucky to get into the UK to be honest. I got pulled out of que twice and was given the full run down due to the equipment I had all over me.

They totally know whats up, just be nice to them and pray. Other parts of Euro were totally fine tho, it was the the UK and the US where I got fully searched and questioned.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Also here is my latest live set. The 2nd to last song is a unreleased from ryan pearce and I. im too lazy for a tracklist but i will do IDs.

listen folks its a good set!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?484bsz8s7ico13x

CHUMP CHANGE @ DRAGONS DEN FEB 17TH, 2012

Its Future Bass/UKG/Trap/Juke/etc. shittt.

Maguro fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 21, 2012

Amantus
Dec 9, 2007

I LIKE JUICE.
After several great releases last year, I reckon Killawatt is going to storm 2012. He recently posted this mix of his own dubplates, and it's absolutely massive. I'm really enjoying that techy tip that guys like Killawatt and Goth-Trad have been on lately.

Future Noise Music have just released Pinch's remixes of Mark Stewart vs Primal Scream. 130-ish bpm apocalyptic business.
On that similar deep dark Pinch tip, Bristol's 2 Kings Records are finally releasing Pinch's remix of Henry & Louis' Love Like, which featured on Pinch's recent Fabric mix. I heard Africa Hitech play this back in May on Rinse FM, and until I heard it on the Fabric mix I was going mental trying to get an ID. It's got that massive dubstep bassweight mixed with dub and the current generation of UK techno/house hybrids.

Amantus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 21, 2012

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Does anyone know where those bonkers piano lines come from in old hardcore? Are they sampled from a particular music genre or played from scratch? I can normally hear vinyl crackle on them so I think they might be sampled but I'm not sure. 28GBB?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Anae posted:

Does anyone know where those bonkers piano lines come from in old hardcore? Are they sampled from a particular music genre or played from scratch? I can normally hear vinyl crackle on them so I think they might be sampled but I'm not sure. 28GBB?

If you're talking about the kind of stuff I think you're talking about, some of them may have been taken off some old Italo-Disco record, but just as likely they're straight off a DX-7 or more likely a Korg M1 which got a lot of love for piano lines back then.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

If you're talking about the kind of stuff I think you're talking about, some of them may have been taken off some old Italo-Disco record, but just as likely they're straight off a DX-7 or more likely a Korg M1 which got a lot of love for piano lines back then.

Cheers. They're a bastard to write. With minimal knowledge of musical theory anyway.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Any in particular? Sped-up house was the usual source, 88-91 stuff re-used (to greater effect a lot of the time imo too) but a lot was just written from scratch. Force and Evolution were apparently about to play their melodies out at 160 BPM on real equipment. Some later ones came from even Eurodance, like Jimmy J - Six Days.

The wackiest ones i can think of were Freestyle & DJR - Madness and Force Mass Motion - Panic which were both not sampled or taken.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anae posted:

And a lot of them that aren't just lifted are played from a sampler, which effects the timbre a bit- high notes get brighter and thinner, low notes thicker and darker, which makes them sound like they're weirder chords than they are.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q_tb5puRE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Maguro posted:

Also here is my latest live set. The 2nd to last song is a unreleased from ryan pearce and I. im too lazy for a tracklist but i will do IDs.

listen folks its a good set!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?484bsz8s7ico13x

CHUMP CHANGE @ DRAGONS DEN FEB 17TH, 2012

Its Future Bass/UKG/Trap/Juke/etc. shittt.

You're part of Clicks and Whistles, right? Words do not describe how sad it makes me that I'm going to miss one of the few good gigs in Atlanta. :(

• Locked thread