Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Frozen-Solid posted:

and discuss how much more awesome Chrome Beta is than any other portable browser?

Maybe after a redesign of the UI perhaps. I use Chrome on my desktop on 3 or 4 different computers and on all 3 I have my bookmarks laid out in a way that makes sense on the desktop.

Taking that UI completely replicating and then not giving me the bookmark bar that pops up on any other chrome window I put my google creds into annoys the heck out of me.

If you're not going to make the default behavior work the same across platforms and form factors have the courtesy to provide me with a better method to get at what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Hey look, a link that has Transformer Prime information and failure rates.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57373634-94/putting-the-transformer-prime-in-perspective/

Spoiler Alert: It's less than 1%

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ModestMuse posted:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57373634-94/putting-the-transformer-prime-in-perspective/

Most people won't rma the unit cause most of the issues are design problems and short of returning the unit to the place they bought it there is no fix.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

Well the Prime I ordered and promptly returned to Amazon was riddled with issues. The XDA (I know) Prime forum is a scary place. Nothing but rage complaints and this poor guy Gary with Asus actually posts there trying to help people. I cannot imagine his PM inbox volume. He's a brave man.

And I imagine that statement about "only 1%" was a carefully crafted PR move by Asus. The Prime is littered with issues, period.

But then again, for once, I am the 1%. :smug:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

Well the Prime I ordered and promptly returned to Amazon was riddled with issues. The XDA (I know) Prime forum is a scary place. Nothing but rage complaints and this poor guy Gary with Asus actually posts there trying to help people. I cannot imagine his PM inbox volume. He's a brave man.

And I imagine that statement about "only 1%" was a carefully crafted PR move by Asus. The Prime is littered with issues, period.

But then again, for once, I am the 1%. :smug:
The whole interview is a pr fluff piece.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The whole interview is a pr fluff piece.
A fluff piece from CNET, you say? I'm shocked!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
How do I find out what my Transformer Prime's serial number is? :)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gorilla Salsa posted:

There is a sticker on the bottom but they have been known to fall off. If you don't have the no serial bug then you should be able to find it in settings.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Your anecdotal and forum based evidence is quite convincing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

It's admitted in the article that wifi and gps issues are a design problem with the tablet which means everyone will have them to some extent.

Even though GPS has been officially removed from the specifications, we continued to improve our firmware for A-GPS operation to download LTO (Long Term Orbits) automatically to assist in GPS lock speeds for users. However, we cannot guarantee robust performance in this mode for all users due to the unit design.

The third area of concern reported by users is general Wi-Fi performance. A variety of conditions ranging from router signal quality to environmental conditions can affect Wi-Fi performance. In addition, due to the all-aluminum unibody design structure, the Wi-Fi performance of the Transformer Prime might not always match that of other designs in selected situations. However, the normal user experience is not adversely impacted and performance of this design passes a strict Asus internal qualification test.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
As asked this before but didn't get a response - does any current tablet have decent wifi reception?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

dissss posted:

As asked this before but didn't get a response - does any current tablet have decent wifi reception?

Define 'decent'? I use my Xoom all over my house (3 floors), my laptops (MBP/MBA/Toshiba) have no problem connecting and neither does my Xoom.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

dissss posted:

I have no issues streaming HD Netflix or YouTube. Web pages load quickly and I've never had a connection drop on my Transformer Prime.

I guess you could say it's decent enough for my needs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Glimm posted:

Define 'decent'? I use my Xoom all over my house (3 floors), my laptops (MBP/MBA/Toshiba) have no problem connecting and neither does my Xoom.

I mean on par with a cheap laptop/netbook.

I live in quite a large flat and its extremely noticeable, my A500 and my flatmates iPads and (original) Transformers will lose reception while still inside the house while I can sit out in the yard with my netbook and still get a reasonable signal.

Edit: I should add the unibody Macbooks my flatmates have also have issues down the far end of the house, and yes we've tried a few different routers.

dissss fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 22, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

It's admitted in the article that wifi and gps issues are a design problem with the tablet which means everyone will have them to some extent.

Here's my anecdotal evidence, it performs on the same level as my macbook sitting next to it at the same distance from the router.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Ciabatta posted:

I actually haven't found much reason to use Chrome instead of the stock Ice Cream Sandwich Browser. Have you noticed much better performance or anything?

Not a lot performance-wise, but I find the UI much more friendly. The best part is if you fat finger a section near several small links, it'll zoom in HUGE and let you pick what you want.

Magic Shortbus posted:

Taking that UI completely replicating and then not giving me the bookmark bar that pops up on any other chrome window I put my google creds into annoys the heck out of me.

My only UI complaint is that when you close all the tabs, you're not left with a "new tab". For the bookmarks bar I just use the bookmarks widget on my desktop.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Settings -> About Tablet -> Status

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Frozen-Solid posted:

My only UI complaint is that when you close all the tabs, you're not left with a "new tab". For the bookmarks bar I just use the bookmarks widget on my desktop.

But that's what is so irksome about the fact they bothered at all. If you going to go and just straight up port the thing, just leave it all in and then you'll have a familiar browser that isnt laid out quite right for touch. Now i have a familiar browser that's laid out poorly and is missing what I'd want to use it for.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dissss posted:

My O.G. Transformer, with it's plastic back, has fantastic wifi (and GPS) reception. :haw:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dissss posted:

My Transformer (the regular one) gets about the same reception as my old netbook did. There's a guy who lives across the street and leaves his wifi completely open, and I can connect like however far that distance is from inside.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

How about we stop fighting over the Prime for a few posts, and discuss how much more awesome Chrome Beta is than any other portable browser?

It would be 100% better if the tablet version sent a "desktop" useragent header, or at least offered an option to do so.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ModestMuse posted:

quote:

CNET: What are the top three Transformer Prime issues, and what has Asus done to address them?
Gary Key: The top three issues in order as calculated by our service center on a worldwide basis is Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (BT)/GPS performance, random lock/reboot, and "serial number not found" issues.
The top three issues are these six issues. Or is that unfair? No, I guess not:

quote:

Wi-Fi/BT/GPS performance
The Wi-Fi/BT/GPS category actually consists of three separate issues.
In conclusion, the manufacturer of a thing told a CNET toady a story about their own statistics regarding the alleged failure rates of that thing, which are neither reviewed nor corroborated by anyone, and those statistics say that the failure rate is slightly less than 1% (which is silly high) but only when accounting for just the top three failure modes, which are actually 6 or more failure modes, and there are no data available about how said statistics were gathered or calculated or what the failure rates are for the other failure modes, or for units returned that mysteriously disappeared from the box or turned to dust during (pre-paid) RMA shipping. Sweet, sell me one of those.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Really grasping at straws there buddy. It states that the global RMA rate is less than 1%, which would include all forms of return.

The Transformer Prime is not the gamble that YOSPOS likes to think it is. All of your data is based upon a few forum posts. This guy works for ASUS and is providing the actual RMA data and you want to dispute it based upon literally nothing.

The Transformer Prime has 100% positive reviews. Every single one states it's a recommended buy, and arguably the best tablet on the market. Your response is that there are very vocal people on XDA and one or two here that had issues which make it a crap tablet and informing goons not to buy.

We have had goon after goon come in this thread and state their wonderful experience with the tablet. So much so that one goon couldn't even wait 2 drat weeks for them to fix his screen, so he rushed out and bought a second one.

People come to this thread for tablet information and the YOSPOSers disparage what I think is by far the best tablet on the market.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

You sound like the people who demanded scanned documents proving the XBox 360 really was a faulty piece of poo poo back in 2008.

At least with the XBox 360 Microsoft owned up to it, extended the warranty, and the serial numbers didn't conveniently fall off.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

Really grasping at straws there buddy. It states that the global RMA rate is less than 1%, which would include all forms of return.

The Transformer Prime is not the gamble that YOSPOS likes to think it is. All of your data is based upon a few forum posts. This guy works for ASUS and is providing the actual RMA data and you want to dispute it based upon literally nothing.

The Transformer Prime has 100% positive reviews. Every single one states it's a recommended buy, and arguably the best tablet on the market. Your response is that there are very vocal people on XDA and one or two here that had issues which make it a crap tablet and informing goons not to buy.

We have had goon after goon come in this thread and state their wonderful experience with the tablet. So much so that one goon couldn't even wait 2 drat weeks for them to fix his screen, so he rushed out and bought a second one.

People come to this thread for tablet information and the YOSPOSers disparage what I think is by far the best tablet on the market.

As somebody who has worked with this stuff, I can tell you that RMA rates are never representative of the actual scope of the problem. The only places that will actually consistently RMA products are retailers, since it affects their bottom line. A very, very large portion of people will just stick with it and assume it doesn't work well, not that it's broken and should be returned.

You're taking an article from CNET (who write nothing but fluff pieces) that directly represents a statistic from Asus (the RMA rate which is hardly representative of any real world statistics) at face value and that's pretty silly.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

NINbuntu 64 posted:

As somebody who has worked with this stuff, I can tell you that RMA rates are never representative of the actual scope of the problem. The only places that will actually consistently RMA products are retailers, since it affects their bottom line. A very, very large portion of people will just stick with it and assume it doesn't work well, not that it's broken and should be returned.

You're taking an article from CNET (who write nothing but fluff pieces) that directly represents a statistic from Asus (the RMA rate which is hardly representative of any real world statistics) at face value and that's pretty silly.

You are countering it with forum posts and that's pretty silly.

Is literally every single review site only writing fluff? Even the ones that didn't get one for free and waited 3 months and bought their own to review, and still came to the same conclusion (it's a great tablet)? Your only response is forum posts, and even those show overwhelming majority of happy customers.

Where are you getting the information that the failure rate on the Transformer Prime is high enough that you should recommend that people not buy it?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

You are countering it with forum posts and that's pretty silly.

Is literally every single review site only writing fluff? Even the ones that didn't get one for free and waited 3 months and bought their own to review, and still came to the same conclusion (it's a great tablet)? Your only response is forum posts, and even those show overwhelming majority of happy customers.

Where are you getting the information that the failure rate on the Transformer Prime is high enough that you should recommend that people not buy it?

No, actually, I'm countering it with the fact that I had to track RMA data for the largest global wholesale provider of technology products. We handled product distribution to almost every major retailer in Canada and my job was to track RMAs and handle sending that information back to manufacturers. While it's not Prime specific (though it's possible that they do now, since we did handle warranties for Asus when I was still working there) it gave me pretty good numbers on return rates.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Oh hey, the weekly Transformer Prime discussion is happening, maybe the thread won't get shut down this time!!

So I built a new desktop and I was tooling around with Splashtop HD and that poo poo is like magic. I know there are people who use that kind of stuff every day but holy crap it's awesome to remote into my compy from my tablet.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Oh hey, the weekly Transformer Prime discussion is happening, maybe the thread won't get shut down this time!!

So I built a new desktop and I was tooling around with Splashtop HD and that poo poo is like magic. I know there are people who use that kind of stuff every day but holy crap it's awesome to remote into my compy from my tablet.

I like Splashtop but is it any different than TeamViewer in any way? I've noticed they both have a fairly choppy experience compared to RDP.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I don't know if this has been addressed in a previous post, but here goes:

My department purchased a handful of 7" Galaxy Tabs for educational use (I'm teaching a CS2/Java course using Android). I've been using mine for a while for testing and development, and the battery life is poo poo.

Just yesterday, I unplugged it from the wall and it had a full charge. I used it for barely a few minutes, and when I left it alone, the charge was still full or nearly full.

I leave it off the charger overnight, get back to my office this morning, and the battery life meter is almost all the way down to nothing. Wtf?

I have Bluetooth and GPS turned off -- I had wi-fi on, but it wasn't connected to the network at the time, and I can't imagine that wi-fi alone would drain it that much. (MY IPAD at home that gets even more use holds its charge for weeks).

I'm going to try turning off the wi-fi and see if I see any improvement, but is there anything I'm missing? Background services I can shut off? The tablet is fresh out of the box (running 2.2) with only a handful of small apps I've written myself installed on it.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Flobbster posted:

My department purchased a handful of 7" Galaxy Tabs for educational use (I'm teaching a CS2/Java course using Android). I've been using mine for a while for testing and development, and the battery life is poo poo.

Just yesterday, I unplugged it from the wall and it had a full charge. I used it for barely a few minutes, and when I left it alone, the charge was still full or nearly full.

I leave it off the charger overnight, get back to my office this morning, and the battery life meter is almost all the way down to nothing. Wtf?

I have Bluetooth and GPS turned off -- I had wi-fi on, but it wasn't connected to the network at the time, and I can't imagine that wi-fi alone would drain it that much. (MY IPAD at home that gets even more use holds its charge for weeks).

I'm going to try turning off the wi-fi and see if I see any improvement, but is there anything I'm missing? Background services I can shut off? The tablet is fresh out of the box (running 2.2) with only a handful of small apps I've written myself installed on it.

As I recall, the iPad manages its wifi so that it automatically shuts off the adapter if it's not actively transmitting. It's possible the Tab isn't doing this.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The Prime's unlocked bootloader released today. Apparently it's a permanent change and also takes away your ability to get official updates and support (or at least "officially"). Hacker beware! That being said I look forward to CM9 and all the fan mods that will inevitably come out in the coming weeks/months.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Flobbster posted:

Battery life is generally worse on Android, and oftentimes worse on 7" tablets because they have less space for batteries.

Turning off wifi/bluetooth when it's not in use will help. Past that there's a lot of voodoo rituals and apps that claim to help, but generally do not.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Flobbster posted:

RMA/Replace the device, you've got a faulty battery/sensor:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-tab-support-troubleshooting/402396-samsung-galaxy-tab-7-battery-issue-solution.html

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Flobbster posted:

You can try turning off wifi and also going to settings, accounts a a sync and turning them off too. Honesty, I would just plug it up at night, the original tab wasn't amazing on battery life, and it won't hurt it leaving it plugged up overnight.

Oh, and I would bet you have a software update, so check for that. Just don't expect ice cream sandwich.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

RMA/Replace the device, you've got a faulty battery/sensor:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-tab-support-troubleshooting/402396-samsung-galaxy-tab-7-battery-issue-solution.html

Yea do this, I don't see battery drain like that on my Tab Plus. In fact I can go a few days with normal use before I have to plug it in. Something don't sound right at all.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Or it has a misbehaving app running in the background.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Or it has a misbehaving app running in the background.

This is a good point, download better battery stats and see if something isn't keeping it awake. You could also try a factory reset.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Man, charging the Transformer over USB is slooooow. I've had it hooked up to my computer while waiting for the new charger to arrive and, in the last 24 hours, the battery meter went up about 65%. So, about 40 hours to fully charge from 0%.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Uthor posted:

Man, charging the Transformer over USB is slooooow. I've had it hooked up to my computer while waiting for the new charger to arrive and, in the last 24 hours, the battery meter went up about 65%. So, about 40 hours to fully charge from 0%.

Most tablets, apparently, charge very slowly over USB because they require a 15V charge rather than the normal USB voltage. Use the wall jack and it will charge MUCH faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
(Cross post for HC/ICS Tablet owners)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmG43D0vD4

Google Docs now has native editing for documents.

Market Link

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2012