Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

The next step on my quest to create an idiot proof Android, is there a launcher which I can set up and then "lock" it so that it is not editable? The menu key doing stuff is fine, but I need to disable long press menu and icon/widget dragging. My mum is spectacularly good at deleting the lovely widgets I set up for her because she isn't used to a touch screen being so reponsive.

ADW can lock the desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The tasks API is pretty hosed. Gtasks is the reluctant favorite.
Hopefully they fix it...one day.

Thanks though.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Best stock watcher app and/or widget?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Tunga posted:

The next step on my quest to create an idiot proof Android, is there a launcher which I can set up and then "lock" it so that it is not editable? The menu key doing stuff is fine, but I need to disable long press menu and icon/widget dragging. My mum is spectacularly good at deleting the lovely widgets I set up for her because she isn't used to a touch screen being so reponsive.

ADW in CM7 had this feature. Not sure if it was ADW or if it was CM7 though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

IT Guy posted:

ADW in CM7 had this feature. Not sure if it was ADW or if it was CM7 though.

ADW.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

fudsak posted:

Apparently this app Cloud Music Sniper allows you to access your Google Music collection in the playback app of your choice (Winamp, Power Amp, etc). Worth a shot, I think.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.t3hh4xx0r.cloudsniper

Just to clarify, this only lets you play downloaded "offline" music in other media players. This can't actually stream from cloud services.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It can live up there but if you tell it to stay on top your notifications will dance around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots every time you download something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The latest version of Widgetsoid will stay at the top on my GN. I have not seen it in any other position since the update.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

If anyone knows a better app than Gtasks, feel free to mention it.

I'm using Astrid (which I think can also sync to gtasks) + Agenda Widget to display both tasks and calendar events.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I guess I haven't seen Blazing Saddles in a very long time.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Orkut Users posted:

What's the best weather app/widget out there? I'm not a big fan of the vanilla htc one on my incredible 2.

I like 1weather, which was recommended by someone else to me in this thread. Weather channel is too slow and bloaty and the radar sucks; AccuWeather is kind of janky but puts current conditions in your notifications, which I kind of liked. 1Weather has the best radar and a pretty interface. Its widget is weird looking though. I use the Sense flipclock for a weather widget, so I can't help you there.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Tunga posted:

Go Launcher does this.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

gmq posted:

I'm using Astrid (which I think can also sync to gtasks) + Agenda Widget to display both tasks and calendar events.

This, though there's some oddness about how tasks get passed back & forward between astrid & gtasks. I also need a way of accessing tasks on a desktop that isn't barred at work.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is there an app that will allow me to monitor my webcam that is built in to my laptop from a remote location?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The latest version of Widgetsoid will stay at the top on my GN. I have not seen it in any other position since the update.

Do you have the "stay on top" option set? If I don't, then it will fall below the others when I get a new notification. If I turn it on and there's a notification that updates regularly (like a download), then they'll fight for the top position. Try downloading a large file and watch your notifications.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I guess I haven't seen Blazing Saddles in a very long time.
Thanks for uh...de-probating me!

Hologram
Nov 2, 2006

:chillpill:

Tunga posted:

I know that ADW Launcher EX (It's a paid app) can lock the desktop. Go to the home screen, Menu>More>Lock Desktop

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Has anyone used Haxsync? It seems legit enough but I'm a little wary about anything that deals with Facebook stuff.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmG43D0vD4

Google Docs now has native editing for documents.

Market Link

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2012

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

computer parts posted:

Has anyone used Haxsync? It seems legit enough but I'm a little wary about anything that deals with Facebook stuff.

Works great for whenever I feel the urge to flash a buggy ICS-based rom to my Evo 3D. Not sure about long-term stability or effect on battery life, since I rarely stay on ICS for more than a day or so before I get fed up.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
My Evo came with a stock flashlight app, is there any reason for me to use a different one? Or are they all pretty much the same and just for phones that didn't have one already installed?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

spixxor posted:

My Evo came with a stock flashlight app, is there any reason for me to use a different one? Or are they all pretty much the same and just for phones that didn't have one already installed?

The stock htc one that was on my inspire turned off the light if you turned off the screen. TeslaLED (what I use now) and others don't do that. Most also have a widget so you can turn on/off without opening an app.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Do you have the "stay on top" option set? If I don't, then it will fall below the others when I get a new notification. If I turn it on and there's a notification that updates regularly (like a download), then they'll fight for the top position. Try downloading a large file and watch your notifications.

Thanks for uh...de-probating me!

Yeah I do. Prior to the latest update it would get knocked out of first place when Delayed Lock would disable my lock screen on home WiFi. Also sometimes it would randomly drop down and I'd have to turn the screen off and on to get it back up top. But since the update it stays up top no matter what.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Does anybody know of an app I can use to read/edit a mediawiki site? I suppose I could just use the browser but I hate all the zooming. Wiki is a terrible word to try to search for on the internet or the market especially, it seems like there are about 10000 Wikipedia apps out there.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Orkut Users posted:

What's the best weather app/widget out there? I'm not a big fan of the vanilla htc one on my incredible 2.

Secx posted:

Best stock watcher app and/or widget?

I've been using WeatherBug Elite ever since I got my first Android phone and I still love it.

You can make the widget transparent, and the app has lots of info (sunrise & set for example).

Awesome.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

I've been using WeatherBug Elite ever since I got my first Android phone and I still love it.

You can make the widget transparent, and the app has lots of info (sunrise & set for example).

Awesome.

I like it also (freebie on Amazon FAOTD) but it's hosed on tablets. Sad, really. Hopefully they update it one day.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

hotsauce posted:

I like it also (freebie on Amazon FAOTD) but it's hosed on tablets. Sad, really. Hopefully they update it one day.

What's wrong with it on tablets?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Glimm posted:

What's wrong with it on tablets?

On my Transformer, the text is stacked on top of each other, rendering it basically useless. It's clearly not designed for tablets.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

hotsauce posted:

On my Transformer, the text is stacked on top of each other, rendering it basically useless. It's clearly not designed for tablets.

I've tried all of the Weather Bug Elite Widgets on my Prime, and they all look normal to me. Got a screen shot/name of the exact one in question in case I'm missing it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

big mean giraffe posted:

Just setup dropbox, the official app won't sync them onto your phone but you can download the latest version from your desktop, and then upload it back when you're done. There are third-party dropbox supporting apps that will sync both ways but I don't use one so someone else will have to recommend one if that's not easy enough for ya.

DropSync is pretty awesome, and doesn't force you to sync your entire Dropbox account... just specified folders (but it can do all of it too).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

uapyro posted:

I've tried all of the Weather Bug Elite Widgets on my Prime, and they all look normal to me. Got a screen shot/name of the exact one in question in case I'm missing it?

Same on my Xoom.

Do you use any dpi hacks or anything?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

some texas redneck posted:

DropSync is pretty awesome, and doesn't force you to sync your entire Dropbox account... just specified folders (but it can do all of it too).

Seconding this, I love it. Turns Dropbox from something you have to gently caress with into something that just plain works.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

uapyro posted:

On my 7 inch Tab Plus it is the same way as the other guy. The widget stake everything and you can't read it. I took a screenshot and sent it to the dev but never got a response.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

uapyro posted:

Its the app itself. Upon opening its virtually unusable because the text is stacked on top of each other.

I just downloaded it again and its better but still not great for tablets. Maybe its because I am using the Amazon version which is always behind on updates.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I won't quote you all but thanks to everyone who suggested ADW for a launcher for a desktop lock option, I'll definitely be making use of it to stop my mum accidentally deleting her clocks every time she tries to call someone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Just remember to go into the options first thing and turn off the hidden dock!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I can just imagine a mom accidentally bringing up the hidden dock and freaking out. I just drill into my parents to push the back button if you make a mistake in navigating the phone, they would be lost if something like that happened.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Noted, thanks. She doesn't actually need a dock at all, just desktop icons are perfect, preferably giant ones. I'll have to have a play with it and see what works best.

That reminds me, contact shortcuts are shortcuts (not widgets) and therefore cannot be resized. How can I make SUPER HUGE contact and direct dial shortcuts?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
ADW will let you disappear the dock completely if you want to, poke around in the options. You can make custom-sized shortcuts with Desktop Visualizer apparently, but I've never messed with it myself.

Wonder if there's contact and dialer widgets out there? Seems likely.

e: you are going to want to disable her app drawer (ie set the home button to something else), because ADW doesn't support hiding app drawer apps. Also, brainstorm: you can use a FolderOrganizer folder (a widget) to make a Contacts folder. Still thinking about the dialer.

ee: tested FolderOrganizer and it is a resizeable widget but since it starts the size of a normal icon it doesn't help to increase the size, since ADW doesn't stretch resize, it only shrink resizes. :(
So Desktop Visualizer's probably the way to go.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 23, 2012

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

That reminds me, contact shortcuts are shortcuts (not widgets) and therefore cannot be resized. How can I make SUPER HUGE contact and direct dial shortcuts?

You could try something like Car Widget, produces largish icons if you only need a few direct dial contacts. I am surprised there isn't a widget setup to produce large icons for older/hard of seeing people.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
On every phone I've used, I've changed the Launcher. For some reason stock launchers on the phone never really lived up to what I got out of things like ADW/Launcher Pro and the like.

I haven't found a reason to change my Launcher on my tablet yet. The stock ICS launcher seems great. It has every feature I got ADW for as well as all the eye candy that past launchers didn't have. Am I missing something that newer ICS centric launchers like Nova add, or is the ICS launcher (or alternatively the ICS Tablet launcher) just that much better?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If nothing else changing the grid size and number of screens is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

If nothing else changing the grid size and number of screens is nice.
These are the big ones but a moveable dock with swipe actions is pretty much a must-have for me (and of course getting rid of that awful persistent search bar) but on top of that there's also infinite scroll, swipe gestures (I don't use them but others swear by them), and the ability to hide app names/change icons/hide apps in the drawer.

About the only things the Ice Cream Sandwich launcher really brought to the table was native scrolling and resizing.

• Locked thread