Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah I think the extent of most peoples' experience with "handling" is whether or not the vehicle is at risk of rolling over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I drive an old SUV (a Blazer) around at work and there's also a couple trucks (B-series and Tacos) and a low sedan (Volvo 940), and gently caress, they all feel a lot different just trying to drive around the side of a building at 10 miles an hour.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PT6A posted:

Everyone will notice when a car handles better, though, right? I don't think you have to know anything about a car's mechanicals to appreciate a car that handles well over one that doesn't.

That has less to do with a car being FWD and more with the fact that cheap cars sold to the average person aren't design to have sensational handling.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah I think the extent of most peoples' experience with "handling" is whether or not the vehicle is at risk of rolling over.

I agree completely, very rarely am I behind a car that takes turns without slamming on their brakes and creeping around them. I used to think this was because my car genuinely handles better than most, but even driving around in an old corolla makes it all too apparent that everyone is completely useless when it comes to taking corners at anything approaching "fun" speeds. Why would car companies waste their time making most cars handle well if the average driver won't notice.

I love how the frsbrs is completely designed to be a fun enthusiasts car, a direct gently caress you to the beige camry trend that toyota themselves seem to have started. I cannot wait to scare the poo poo out of my local toyota/scion/subaru salesman on a test drive!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Scion Dealer:

Good luck scarring this fella!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Piano posted:

Good luck scarring this fella!

O.o I don't think that was his intention, I mean how good is the crash protection on this thing?

Edit: toyota uk website says GT86 from £24,995 with 17"s, full pricing to be confirmed. That seems reasonable.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 21, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cakefool posted:

O.o I don't think that was his intention, I mean how good is the crash protection on this thing?
He died on the way back to his home planet :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So this car is going to make people drive like morons? I can't wait for the you tube videos. RIP Talking Cool Dog.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Edit: toyota uk website says GT86 from £24,995 with 17"s, full pricing to be confirmed. That seems reasonable.

This does not bode well for being a sub 40k AUD car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Yeah the options list is pretty decent also for that base price. Although looks like we wont be getting a stripper version at all, which isnt suprising I guess.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Elephanthead posted:

So this car is going to make people drive like morons? I can't wait for the you tube videos. RIP Talking Cool Dog.

No, people who drive like morons are going to be attracted to this car.

(yes, this car will reward hooning behaviour)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cakefool posted:

No, people who drive like morons are going to be attracted to this car.

(yes, this car will reward hooning behaviour)

Downside: high insurance costs
Upside: increased sales volume from idiots replacing their wrecked cars

Far better they blow through new-production vehicles instead of destroying nice used older cars. I'm sure the number of older VWs is already reaching critical levels after the twin plagues of krauting and hellaflush.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can't wait until I can get my first FA20 and ECU to slot into my '97 Impreza.

Remember kids, crash backwards, or with the side of the car that the ECU doesn't sit in.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Judging from the accidents on gencoupe.com, I think there will be plenty of totalled Toyobarus with extensive rear end damage from their tofu delivery accidents.

Though, why not put an turbo EJ2x motor in it?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Every one of these cars will have rear quarter panel damage.

Just like every 240sx does.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can't wait until I can get my first FA20 and ECU to slot into my '97 Impreza.

A RWD FA20 Impreza coupe would be a hoot.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Voltage posted:

I love how the frsbrs is completely designed to be a fun enthusiasts car, a direct gently caress you to the beige camry trend that toyota themselves seem to have started. I cannot wait to scare the poo poo out of my local toyota/scion/subaru salesman on a test drive!

I demand that the FR-S / BRZ now be referred to as the "Fuss-bus".

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Wouldn't it be "furrs-burrs"?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

That reminds me, Japanese people have a really hard time doing the "br" sound. Bride seats? No sir. Buuriido seats.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Dick Burglar posted:

Wouldn't it be "furrs-burrs"?

Yes, but fuss-bus sounds a lot more fun.

DORIFTU FUSS-BUS-U

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dave Inc. posted:

I demand that the FR-S / BRZ now be referred to as the "Fuss-bus".

FR-S BRZ looks like Furious Breeze.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cream_Filling posted:

FR-S BRZ looks like Furious Breeze.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I got to see a couple of these at the Chicago Auto Show and I'm in love. Just wish they'd had one to sit in. Definitely going for a test drive when they hit the streets. They kinda remind me of the first car I ever bought (an 05 Tiburon) only more awesome in every way. Sleeker, lighter, and rwd.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Casualty posted:

I got to see a couple of these at the Chicago Auto Show and I'm in love. Just wish they'd had one to sit in. Definitely going for a test drive when they hit the streets. They kinda remind me of the first car I ever bought (an 05 Tiburon) only more awesome in every way. Sleeker, lighter, and rwd.

Tiberon was a FWD? No wonder they got replaced with the gencoupe.

BRZ dealer preorder portal has been pushed back to March 1st. Still no reliable info on FR-S rollout.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rabble posted:

Tiberon was a FWD? No wonder they got replaced with the gencoupe.

Thought they got replaced by the Veloster, the Tib got sold alongside the Genesis for a couple years up here but that may have been 2008 overstock.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the GenCoupe was called the "spiritual" successor to the Tiburon, while the Veloster was the actual successor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

oRenj9 posted:

Though, why not put an turbo EJ2x motor in it?
I already have one Impreza with a turbo EJ. Why not go all-motor with the other?

I mean, other than the fact it's very slow.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

some guy on the ft86 forums has sorta confirmed aus pricing at 35k for the base model and 45k for the high spec model. high spec includes alacantara, 3 spoke steering wheel, LED DRLs, alternative 17s, nav and other stuff i forgot to read.

he was told this by the dealer with which he placed his order. the spec has been confirmed by someone else who also ordered but wasnt told the price.

putting the high spec near WRX entry territory isnt bad but some of those options in the higher spec model are stuff thats nice to have.

fake edit: options for the high spec model

quote:

Leather/Alcantra inserts
Three Spoke Steering wheel
Sat Nav Stereo system
HID Headlights
LED Daytime running lights (I can only assume this means the base model does not get these)
Different 17in alloys
Frameless rear vision mirror
Aluminium pedals and door sills
Tacho with digital speed display

Real edit: another aussie user was contacted via email.

quote:

Some L1 features as per current info :- Premium 3 Spoke steering wheel, 16” alloys, Halogen headlights, Dual Exhaust, 7 SRS Airbags, Cruise control,
Power windows, Anti theft system, 6.1” Audio display with Multi info Display & Aux & USB
Some L2 features as per current info :- in addition to L1, Paddle shift on auto trans, Aluminum Pedals, Aluminium scuff plates, Tacho with Digital speed display,
Leather Accented seat trim, 17” Alloys, HID Headlamps, Daytime running lights, Smart Entry, DualZone auto A/c & 6.1” Sat Nav Audio.
Seven colours to choose from.

australian release is 'late march or early june' which im guessing is BS.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 23, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
That's awesome, based on the amount of lube that Cat Terrist claims you need to apply to buy a car down under, it looks like the top model FR-S likely not exceed 27,000 :patriot: dollars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Base model has all I want, can't say there is anything on the L2 list that makes me think twice about which one to go for

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
cruise control, yay!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You Am I posted:

Base model has all I want, can't say there is anything on the L2 list that makes me think twice about which one to go for

I dunno, I kinda need those sweet sweet LED lights so people know its brand new car. also dualzone AC would be nice since the girlfriend enjoys blizzards while I enjoy fresh air.

and yeah cruise control. oh god cruise control.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure those L1 and L2 open levels are going to apply to the US on the BRZ. I remember awhile back a Subaru rep stated that even the base model (Premium) in the US will have HIDs and Navigation.

I'm betting 16" wheels won't be on any trim level in the US either for the BRZ (but probably likely for the Scion.)

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Nice, cruise as standard. Sick of getting gypped on basic poo poo.
Only other thing I'd want from L2 is Smart Entry, but that sounds more trouble than it's worth. 35k for the base model is very reasonable. Was realistically expecting 40k+

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I could do without most options, except I have really gotten used to steering wheel audio/cruise controls, what a great feature!

Most likely getting an ultra-base model scion, and spending money I saved on r-comps/slicks and track safety mods, and maybe a nice new helmet.

Aww yeah.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I really really like this car and I'm considering replacing my 3.8 gencoupe with a BRZ, but the lack of power is making me think twice. I understand that it's really light and handling and the "driving experience" is what it's supposed to be about, but man I do like me some horses. Is it realistic to expect significant aftermarket HP gains that won't explode the engine, considering the compression ratio? By significant I mean in the range of say 275 or so.

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 23, 2012

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Meatsicle posted:

Is it realistic to expect significant aftermarket HP gains that won't explode the engine, considering the compression ratio? By significant I mean in the range of say 275 or so.
Unless you want to add a turbo or supercharger, I wouldn't plan on it. There's only so much you can do with 2 liters.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Lowclock posted:

Unless you want to add a turbo or supercharger, I wouldn't plan on it. There's only so much you can do with 2 liters.
What would you say is a realistic expectation?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Maybe gain like 20hp with an intake, exhaust, and tune, provided good ones show up relatively quickly. That's still being pretty optimistic I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
And the more balls to the wall you go N/A, the more it'll be strung out like an S2000, which wouldn't really satisfy anyone wanting more grunt.

• Locked thread