Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

T-Bone posted:

Man screenwriting class is at once the most depressing and encouraging thing ever.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I've done three different screenwriting classes and they're all like that. 90% is absolute dreck, but that 10% makes it worth it. One super-talented guy made me deeply envious. He wrote this fantastic swords and sorcery fantasy script (although the amount of back story he had for everything, I'm convinced it should really be a novel). It came in at something like 150 pages, and he admitted that was with some heart-rending cuts to it all. But the dialogue was good (for fantasy speak), there was humour, fantastic characters, the plot was actually really engaging. Bastard. :)

It's the weird things that get to me. It hurts to read unrealistic or clunky dialogue (do these people never say it out loud?), but I read a guy's stuff where he just wouldn't write in contractions in speech. Everyone was all "I would not do that." "I cannot go with you." It was like reading a script where everyone was Data.

Or the girl who wouldn't write in screenplay formatting, no matter how much she was asked to. Her reasoning was that her script wasn't going to be read by actual movie people, so why bother? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you read this thread, not even all of US have what it takes to be compelling, so the average first-time writers are going to lag behind -that-.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Golden Bee posted:

If you read this thread, not even all of US have what it takes to be compelling, so the average first-time writers are going to lag behind -that-.

Is anyone good the first thing they write? I looked back at my first script last month to adapt it into a play, and I shudder to think that I passed that piece of poo poo round all my friends and family asking them to read it. The best thing I got, though, was some seriously harsh criticism; it's one of the main things someone needs if they're ever going to rise above that original mediocrity. The main thing they need is practice, criticism, and the opportunity to see how other people write.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

fallingdownjoe posted:

Is anyone good the first thing they write?

I still feel that way about the first drafts of my current work.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

York_M_Chan posted:

I still feel that way about the first drafts of my current work.

Oh, absolutely. I accept it and just use it as part of the process: the first draft will always suck, so might as well just get it down fast, as long as the very basic structure and idea is there. After that? That's when the real writing starts.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Same here. First drafts are for getting the ideas out. Especially when working in film, which is the most visual written medium.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Golden Bee posted:

These are people in their fourth year of a competitive program at a competitive school doing their thesis. It's ugly, man.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The_Doctor posted:

It's the weird things that get to me. It hurts to read unrealistic or clunky dialogue (do these people never say it out loud?), but I read a guy's stuff where he just wouldn't write in contractions in speech. Everyone was all "I would not do that." "I cannot go with you." It was like reading a script where everyone was Data.

I made this mistake and didn't notice until it was pointed out by somebody else here. A bad teacher put that idea in my head and when reading material back, I would put it in contractions without thinking about it.

Now I'm hyper-aware of the problem and trying to snuff it out. (Which is where most of people falter. They think their work is perfect with no room for improvement.)

- edit And another problem of mine, adverbs.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 10, 2012

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Adverbs loving suck. There's this script I'm reading now in class that has them in every god damned description line. It's like he's trying to make up for his complete lack of voice by making everything as flowery as possible.

Action lines have never been my strong point, and even now that I've gotten semi-passable at them I stick to brevity. I don't know why anyone would write more to cover up a flaw.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Choose better words and you won't need adverbs. "Don't walk - saunter" is a good, pithy bit of advice that supports my point.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just finished my 1.5th draft of Nick Fellowship Spec. I chose A.N.T. Farm, because while it's a bit early in the show's run, it showcases my style of humor and I really, really like it.

Sent it to a few people.

EDIT:Since I've gotten such good notes from this thread in the past, I'm saving you guys for next draft revision. You catch more than the usual stuff.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 17, 2012

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
O man I totally forgot about this thread I apologize. I second the notions about screen writing classes. I am in 4th year film school and taking a Screen writing for Television class and it has been interesting.

The teacher called out the class for making (valid) criticism about "The Good Wife" pilot. She said we weren't mature or smart enough to handle its "content".

I asked her for feedback on a beat sheet and she responded with "make it more clear".

Thanks for the help.

Also on the idea of 90% of things being bad that is mostly accurate. I had to read scripts of man in a dogs body getting raped by a homeless guy, woman getting poo poo on by horses. Thinly veiled environmental messages (nothing against that) ham fisted into a story with unintentionally historically bad characters, unbelievable set pieces and some of the worst dialogue I have ever encountered.

There comes a point I think where screen writing class becomes useless if you don't have some one in there who can objectively criticize your work and give you solid feedback. The only problem is that is hard to come by. In the end there is so much about basic form and structure you can learn. Also it becomes hard to sit through one when your teacher calls you basically stupid for not liking The Good Wife (pilot).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, if your professor is also an idiot, you're in trouble.

re: first drafts - I find that my first drafts convey pthe assion of the work and that I tend to lose some of it when I edit. I'm trying to find a way to keep the confidence of the writing without sacrificing story, but sometime that can be a hard line to toe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Passion comes across through quality of beats, quality of dialogue and performance. The audience can't tell how hard you hit the keyboard, but if the structure improves, the story will seem effortless, like it exists naturally out of its components.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

A.N.T. Farm Spec, in PDF: http://www.box.com/s/0g2qil032zrkc5b8l0m5
In FDX: http://www.box.com/s/j57xsdcqq7fnumbiotkd

Please watch at least an episode of the show before giving feedback. The point of a spec is to be exactly in the format of the original, which means I need to improve it in SPECIFIC ways (like hopefully finding a way to begin act 2 on the A story, instead of the B).

Thanks for your help.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Golden Bee posted:

A.N.T. Farm Spec, in PDF: http://www.box.com/s/0g2qil032zrkc5b8l0m5
In FDX: http://www.box.com/s/j57xsdcqq7fnumbiotkd

Please watch at least an episode of the show before giving feedback. The point of a spec is to be exactly in the format of the original, which means I need to improve it in SPECIFIC ways (like hopefully finding a way to begin act 2 on the A story, instead of the B).

Thanks for your help.

Think I can get a feel for the show off the pilot? If so, I'll try to watch/read it tomorrow.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Pilot would work, but Skidmore (who features prominently in the A plot) isn't in it.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Hey thread. I'm interested in producing and shooting genre short films. I have the gear and can pull together a crew. All I need are the scripts. For the immediate future I'm interested in horror/sci-fi in the sub $1,000 budget range. I'm open to the writer co-producing it as well.

PM me if interested or shoot an email to jalumibnkrayalAThotmail.com

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Jesus Christ, Griffin.

Write. The page is open. Stop browsing Reddit. Stop posting on SA. Write. Write words. No, put your pants back on. No Backdoor Sluts 9. Just write the loving - Griffin I mean it. Now.

There has to be a better way to do this! Gahhh

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Griff M. posted:

Jesus Christ, Griffin.

Write. The page is open. Stop browsing Reddit. Stop posting on SA. Write. Write words. No, put your pants back on. No Backdoor Sluts 9. Just write the loving - Griffin I mean it. Now.

There has to be a better way to do this! Gahhh

When I need to get poo poo done I use a (Mac) program called Antisocial that blocks social sites for a set time. I think there's a Chrome extension you can use for that too. Reading a screenwriting book or something like this can also be motivating. And when I've posted this, I'm going to get started myself :)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What'd you think of my draft, Griff? I want to redraft Saturday before I submit.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I still don't know who the characters are because I'm a sack of poo poo, but in terms of actual writing and jokes, I think it's very solid. The characters play off each other and I get a sense for who these people are despite not being familiar with the show.

Good work!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm going over the third second draft of my screenplay.

If I have a building with multiple rooms and I'm using sluglines to move around within it instead of individual scene headings, can I also call for a time change in the same manner? Or would I have to go back and start a new scene heading? Or (as I'm typing this, I thought of) just using the time indicator?

Example of what I'm thinking.

quote:

INT. HOSPITAL

HALLWAY

:words:

ROOM

HALLWAY

HALLWAY - MINUTES LATER or
INT. HOSPITAL, HALLWAY - MINUTES LATER or
MINUTES LATER-

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

2nd is best. And remember to use a dissolve instead of a cut. It makes it easier to grok for a storyboarder.

phuckpolitics
Nov 4, 2009
I've been lurking this forum for a while now and I just want to thank all of you for the tips I've tips and tricks I've gotten from this thread.

I was just wondering how long does everyone write each day? Do you sent a time limit or a page limit?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Story limit, oddly. If I want to punch through a scene, I disconnect from the internet until I'm done. If I still have juice, I keep going. If I don't, I revise another project.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Golden Bee posted:

2nd is best. And remember to use a dissolve instead of a cut. It makes it easier to grok for a storyboarder.

I actually called for something special in the description to join the two in that example.

I tried my best to cut all unnecessary direction like CUT TO: unless the scene called for something specific.

phuckpolitics posted:

I was just wondering how long does everyone write each day? Do you sent a time limit or a page limit?

When I'm writing, I try to hit the keys every day for as long as I can. On great days, I can pull out 7-12 pages. Average days, 3-6. Bad days, I'm lucky to get a page or two. On god-awful days, where I'm just staring at the screen, I go for long walks.

It seems to work for me. The longer I'm on that schedule, the easier the whole process becomes.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

phuckpolitics posted:

Depends on what you call "writing" I am constantly carrying around a small notepad because I am always inspired at the most inconvenient times. Last week, I finally figured out the ending to a script I have been toying with for 5 years... and I was behind a desk in a courtroom (I'm a paralegal, not on trial) ... thank God for knowing how to pretend I am writing down important "notes" for the lawyer.

When I am actually writing, I write the current mood of the story... that is usually a scene or two because I want to stay in the flow of the scene(s) to keep it consistent. Once the tone or mood of the script changes, I take a break and shake it off. You should have a loose goal, but don't force it. At least for me, when I try to force my story I get frustrated and angry, I try and let it come a bit more organically.

I actually try to spend as little time in front of a screen as possible. I hand write out a plot skeleton in a notepad so I don't have to think about what comes next and I can focus on other things like dialogue and character. Before I sit down to write I pretty much know exactly what I am going to put down, and when I am done writing it is nothing what I thought it was going to be. Being prepared to write before I write lets my mind wander and play.

It all depends on what/when/how you are inspired. Sitting at my desk is the least inspiring moments for me.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I think it's good like with anything to just get disciplined and have a schedule of I'm going to write at this time to then every day, no matter what.

I just recently listened to the latest Q & A with Jeff Goldsmith podcast with Ken Marino on writing the movie Wanderlust. He said that him and David Wain decided to spend 1 week for 12 hours each day where they would conceive of the movie, and write the script. It sounds pretty intense, but seems like doing something extreme and setting goals is a great start to help you write more.

Also a good pointer is to just get a first draft out there, even if it is poo poo because then you still have something to work on rather than nothing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is kind of a strange question.

I'm ramping up to begin my second screenplay. I found an interesting true story I was going to rip pieces from, had a clear idea of how to approach the entire thing and, what I think is, an unique perspective that would help bring it to that next level.

As I was doing more research, I found out that two movies are already in pre-production based off of the same thing. One is just a horrible teaser trailer from a nobody indie filmmaker which doesn't bother me but the other one is from an established name and it looks like it is on course for a 2013 release.

Should I scrap the entire thing and move on? I know there are multiple instances of where two similar movies are put into production/released at the same time (like An American Crime/The Girl Next Door which were both based off of the Sylvia Likens story) but I've never heard of one where a similar script is sold after the fact.

If I do move forward with this, the only thing I can think to do is fictionalize the majority of the details of the incident itself (which risks making it too generic) or come up with a brand new one that didn't actually happen (but is possible and in the same region)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sporadic posted:

I'm ramping up to begin my second screenplay. I found an interesting true story I was going to rip pieces from, had a clear idea of how to approach the entire thing and, what I think is, an unique perspective that would help bring it to that next level.

As I was doing more research, I found out that two movies are already in pre-production based off of the same thing. One is just a horrible teaser trailer from a nobody indie filmmaker which doesn't bother me but the other one is from an established name and it looks like it is on course for a 2013 release.

Should I scrap the entire thing and move on?

If it was just the small indie one, I'd say carry on developing it, but if a potentially big film is covering it, I'd say skip it for now. Maybe just put it on the back burner, see how this other one comes out, and if you think you can do better, then go back to it. Unless you've got some studio insider knowhow where submitting it would definitely get it into pre-production in 3 months or less, then leave it for now.

That's not to say you should just abandon it, by all means, keep plugging away at it, going back, improving here and there, but move on for now.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

phuckpolitics posted:

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and I just want to thank all of you for the tips I've tips and tricks I've gotten from this thread.

Usually when I feel like. I try to write everyday, but sometimes I just don't have the creative urge. When I do write, I try do do 5-6 pages a day.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Ninety percent of projects don't make it past pre-production. Write it, anyway.

e: VVVV Always put chalk in your eyes...

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 7, 2012

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hey another "read my script plea", shooting in Late April and we want some last minute feedback.

It is entitled. "WORK OUT!" about a demonic and possessive Home Workout DVD that starts to take over the life of the hapless protagonist. So it is a race against time to find the origins of this tape before it consumes his entire life.

I guess its combination of; P90x, Goosebumps, and Kids In The Hall. So if you are interested in reading it, I will shoot it your way.

Too clarify it is a comedic film and not a straight drama.

Thanks in advance.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Hey all. I've been reading this thread for a while. I've been writing scripts on and off for about 12 or 13 years. (Nothing professional, mind you.) Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way. However, recently, I've been trying to start again, and while at work, I've been reading a LOT of screenplays. A lot of BAD screenplays.

Anyway, I have a few quasi-tips from reading the bad ones for anyone interested. Take these suggestions with a grain of salt, as they are simply my nitpicks.

1. Don't write anything in your script that is pop culture at the moment. Do you think Lady Gaga sucks? Who cares? Don't write one of your characters discussing it. Think the Kardashians are awesome? Again, who cares? Don't have your characters talk about them while in a car. The reason? How long will that stuff be relevant? Would you be interested in a movie scene where two characters are going at lengths to discuss Jamiroquai, or Marcy Playground? You would probably say, "Who?" Five years from now, someone reading your script is probably not going to know who J-Wow is.

2. Family Guy flashbacks. For the love of all that is holy, please don't do this. I can't tell you the number of scripts that contain "wacky" flashbacks.

3. Adding the word "gently caress" every other sentence of your dialogue doesn't make your screenplay any more awesome. Even if you are David Milch, the use of that word can become overdone, especially if you stick it in the middle of words. For in-fuckin-stance, "Fan-fuckin-tastic" or "Re-fuckin-diculous" are both aggra-fuckin-vating.

4. If you are writing a movie ABOUT making a movie, I would tend to leave out using the names of actual actors you want your characters played by. I was reading one script where the writer was having a movie made and used Seth Rogen and Michael Cena to be the actors playing his characters. Again, all well and good, but what if in five years from now, hardly anyone knows who those actors are? What if you were reading a script and someone said, "And then Jan-Michael Vincent came through the door with Sean Young." Who? Exactly.

5. And finally, this is relatively a very personal nitpick of mine and really has nothing to do with a movie being made, but I find it really off-putting if characters have "awesome" or "cool" names. I read one where a character's name was "Cakes." That is just aggravating to me. Again, just my personal opinion, but whenever you name your characters something like "Little Paco" or "Crusty" it just seems like you're trying too hard. There was a movie about motorcycle racing where one of the character's names was "Smoke" and it was only so they could have the line about "blowing Smoke" in the movie.

Again, these are all just observations I've made while reading some pretty terrible scipts. I'm sure I can read my own scripts and pick them to pieces too. Take any of these suggestions with a grain of salt, but they are some of the things I follow whenever I'm writing.

Walter Kovacs
May 23, 2007
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Death By The Blues, if you are still looking for people to read your script, I'll take a crack at it. You can send it to JohnBGarcia8787@gmail.com.

Also, would anyone be interested in offering feedback on a comedy feature set in the world of college theatre? It's about a timid freshman who must confront his own cowardice after being made the Assistant Stage Manager of a theatre group in danger of being kicked off of campus.

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.

peepoogenderparts posted:

I read one where a character's name was "Cakes." That is just aggravating to me.
I agree that "funny" names can be annoying, but for some reason I really like Cakes. I guess it just depends on the context.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kolchak posted:

I agree that "funny" names can be annoying, but for some reason I really like Cakes. I guess it just depends on the context.

Yeah, exactly, it's all about context. Everyone has friends with odd nicknames, and it breaks up the monotony of characters called Dave and Claire, etc.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I agree to some extent, and like I said, it was just a personal thing with me. :)

Maybe it's because I read one script where EVERYONE had nicknames, and the script was awful, so it made it look like the writer spent 90% of his time coming up with offbeat character names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter Kovacs
May 23, 2007
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

Death By The Blues posted:

Hey another "read my script plea", shooting in Late April and we want some last minute feedback.

It is entitled. "WORK OUT!" about a demonic and possessive Home Workout DVD that starts to take over the life of the hapless protagonist. So it is a race against time to find the origins of this tape before it consumes his entire life.

I guess its combination of; P90x, Goosebumps, and Kids In The Hall. So if you are interested in reading it, I will shoot it your way.

Too clarify it is a comedic film and not a straight drama.

Thanks in advance.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but but there are a few elements I feel could be fleshed out a bit more. A few suggestions:

Perhaps Phil could appear at the end of the opening scene, setting him up as a more traditionally masculine rival for Dreya’s affections. This could give Ben an extra incentive to attempt the workout, and strengthen the idea of him changing himself because of others.

Also, I would be interested in seeing more detail on the exercises performed. There could be comedic potential in going over the top with this; exercises that are either overly demanding or have an insane amount of reps. Maybe even include a bit satirizing all the workout supplements that P90X and similar programs sell (recovery drinks, protein powder, special food, etc). If there is anything specific you would like me to comment on, let me know.

• Locked thread