Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Call your doctor tomorrow and ask what s/he thinks you should do. My biggest concern is that it seems really heavy, plus you've not had a period in all that time. It would worry me, I guess I'll put it that way.

Yeah, shortly after I posted I went ahead and called my stepmom (who is a nurse and has a Mirena herself) and talked to her about what I should do. Since she agreed I should go in (which made me feel less crazy) I did. The nice thing about the student health center here is that you can almost always get in within 30 minutes or so of walking through the door. The doc there could not find the strings (no surprise, I can feel my cervix easily and am familiar with what the strings feel like) so I've got an appointment tomorrow for an ultrasound to figure out where the little bastard is.

The bleeding has slowed and is no longer bright red blood but is still heavier than any spotting I've had since the new one went in. On the plus side, I got to use the menstrual cup I bought more than a year ago (why I bought it then I have no idea) and if the IUD is still properly in place with just the strings MIA we'll have a better idea of what removing it will entail from the ultrasound. The doc says once they get the results of the ultrasound back she will go ahead and refer me out to the OB/GYN office for any further IUD stuff since they have more tools to deal with it.

"I think I'm getting my period" definitely ranks as one of the weirder things I've had to go to the doctor for. I felt kind of silly having to explain why I was there and was grateful that the doc knew enough about IUDs to understand the situation and not think I was nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I needed to skip my placebo week back in September for a wedding I was going to and did NOT want to deal with it on the planes and at the ceremony which was outside. My insurance wouldn't budge, so I ended up having to pony up the whole cost.

Also, my gyno isn't returning my insurance companies calls regarding the IUD, so I have to call Monday, I guess. I'd call today but I'm down with something and my voice is gone.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I have a bit of a conundrum with my BC and could use some opinions.

My first year of college I went on the Ring and did not like it at all. I had it for about a year and gained a bunch of weight and was very moody, to the point that my relationship almost ended because I was so unpleasant to be around. Luckily I went off it and quickly became much happier. A few months later I got a copper IUD (not the Paragard, it's an older 5 year one they still use in the UK and Canada). Four years went by with no issues other than more intense periods, but the whole no-hormones and no-babies was worse the extra cramping.

After I graduating I returned to the States, where I had full health coverage under my parents' plan in my homestate, but it only covered emergency services in the state I currently live in. Because I wasn't sure when I'd get my own plan, when I visited my parents I had the IUD removed and the Paragard inserted, despite having one year left on the old one.

My periods immediately got lighter with almost no cramping. However, sex became incredible difficult and not very enjoyable - the way I described it felt like he was hammering away at my ovaries. Not very fun, and I always felt mashed up afterwards, so our sex life dropped off considerably. About six months later, I finally got coverage, and went to the OB/GYN. She eventually gave me an ultrasound and didn't see anything glaringly wrong, but did note that the IUD's position was a little low. The only way to know for sure was to remove it, so after talking to my partner I decided to go for it.

I immediately noticed a huge difference. No more ovary bashing! For now we're back to condoms but it's not a solution I want to stick with for long (I don't like how they feel and of course now I'm paranoid I'll have all the babies). I could try hormonal solutions but I'm still hormone-shy from my experience with the Ring (I know different prescriptions can have different side effects, but jumping from one to another to see what takes does not sound very fun to me). I could also try another Paragard and hope it is better positioned this time (based on my first IUD - which I assume wasn't that differently shaped - I know an IUD can work for me), but going through the insertion-painful sex-removal cycle again would majorly suck.

Anyone have their own experience or advice to contribute?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Refill situation resolved~

Apparently the new pharmacy could do absolutely nothing about the numbering mistake in their system, so old pharmacy just created a new prescription with 1 refill for me and put it on hold for when I need it. I thanked him profusely. :shobon:

Drei I remember your posts from the original thread, it sucks you still haven't found a good solution. I don't have any real advice but I'd maybe consider another IUD first if your doctors genuinely think that your pain would be eliminated from being positioned better. If not then explain issues you had with Nuvaring and hopefully they can get you going in the right direction. Good luck. :(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Drei, perhaps you could look into Implanon? It's the lowest dose of hormonal birth control available besides Mirena. It is only one type of hormone, instead of two like Nuvaring and most pills.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Drei, I'm seconding the Implanon recommendation (if your insurance covers it). If you find the hormone is messing with you, you can get it removed and your body goes back to normal. I wouldn't recommend trying it if you have to pay out of pocket- that would be a ton of money you could potentially be throwing down the drain.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Drei, perhaps you could look into Implanon? It's the lowest dose of hormonal birth control available besides Mirena. It is only one type of hormone, instead of two like Nuvaring and most pills.

Actually I saw a commercial for a hormone free IUD the other day. It was really badly done, with the characters appearing to be cut out of paper.

BUT...I can't remember the name. Anyone else see this? And if it's true about being hormone free then there's always that option.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
That would be Paragard.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yes, that's Paragard, which she's had problems with. I said the lowest doses of hormonal birth control are Mirena and then Implanon. Of course there are lots of non-hormonal options, but if you want effectiveness anywhere near what you get with hormonal, you're basically choosing between condoms & a non-hormonal IUD like paragard.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Thanks, I hadn't considered Implanon. I will ask my doctor if it's covered and if she thinks it's a good idea.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Drei posted:

Thanks, I hadn't considered Implanon. I will ask my doctor if it's covered and if she thinks it's a good idea.

Quick note - your doctor will practically never know what is covered by insurance. If your doctor thinks it is a good idea you should call your insurance company. (in a few cases this is untrue, but not many)

uptown
May 16, 2009
Oh, gently caress my life. I posted last week all stoked that I missed my period on my IUD. Nope, it just came late, and I menstruated for seven days straight and now it's petered off to spotting again. Gah.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Sometime last week, I think Thursday or so, I took out my Nuvaring on a doctor's recommendation so I could finish out this metro gel I've been using to get rid of a bacterial infection. Since Friday I have been so sick to my stomach that I can't stand it. Like "if I could barf I'd feel a million times better" kind of nauseated, and certain smells and sights can set it off as well. There is no possibility of being pregnant. Is this just a side effect from coming off the Nuvaring? This is the first time I've been without it this long in about a year.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

silversiren posted:

Sometime last week, I think Thursday or so, I took out my Nuvaring on a doctor's recommendation so I could finish out this metro gel I've been using to get rid of a bacterial infection. Since Friday I have been so sick to my stomach that I can't stand it. Like "if I could barf I'd feel a million times better" kind of nauseated, and certain smells and sights can set it off as well. There is no possibility of being pregnant. Is this just a side effect from coming off the Nuvaring? This is the first time I've been without it this long in about a year.

It could be the metrogel. Nausea is a very common side-effect of metronidazole, even in a topical form from the info I can find. I know when I took it (in pill form though) I was incredibly nauseated for the entire week I was on it. The constant metallic taste in my mouth didn't help either of course.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Started having sex again. Was anyone else who went from the pill to an IUD really really paranoid about pregnancy for a while? Did those feelings eventually go away?

I'm just worried it'll shift out of place or something and I won't notice until it's too late, if I check with the recommended frequency. :(

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

uberwekkness posted:

Started having sex again. Was anyone else who went from the pill to an IUD really really paranoid about pregnancy for a while? Did those feelings eventually go away?

I'm just worried it'll shift out of place or something and I won't notice until it's too late, if I check with the recommended frequency. :(

When I got Mirena my worries about pregnancy went right out the window. The pill has a lot of room for user error, IUDs really do not. Try to think about it that way. You're less likely to have babies now, unless you're amazing and you took your pill regularly every single day at exactly the same time, and then you're STILL 99% not going to have babies.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I was a little worried for a while, like ":tinfoil: what if I stop having my period so it's normal to not get my period and then it turns out I'm missing it because BABIES?!" and I considered taking a test every six weeks or so, but then I realized I'd have to buy/take the tests and that sounded like just taking on more anxiety for no reason. Now I don't worry except maybe once a month or less.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

uberwekkness posted:

We weren't paranoid about pregnancy, but we were worried about poking things out of place and so we took it slow for the first several weeks. The first time I tried to feel for my strings (this was after my doctor told me that she had cut them really short, which may cause problems later), I couldn't feel them, and had a near panic attack. :v: My fiance and I did the whole "Ohmygod do we need to get plan-b? Is it still in there? Ohgodohogod." And then I was educated on how the IUD can and will shift around in your uterus, and how you would definitely know if it came out, even if you couldn't feel strings.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

NaturalLow posted:

It could be the metrogel. Nausea is a very common side-effect of metronidazole, even in a topical form from the info I can find. I know when I took it (in pill form though) I was incredibly nauseated for the entire week I was on it. The constant metallic taste in my mouth didn't help either of course.

I did not know either of these facts. I thought the weird taste was associated with feeling sick. Thanks!

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008
Just to calm my paranoia a bit.

Me and my girlfriend (both STD clean) have started having sex without a condom until I'm getting reasonably close to cumming. Then I'll put a condom on and finish off in that. She is on the pill and takes it reliably, within the hour each morning.

This is going to be somewhere between "condom + pill" and "pill only" in levels of safety isnt it? I know the debate about whether there is sperm in precum isn't resolved yet, but whats the latest evidence for/against it, assuming its my first cum of the evening?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
There's a debate as to whether there's sperm in precum? I thought it was a fact. I'm not being snarky at all, I seriously didn't know it was debated.

Re: IUD and pregnancy.. sometimes I get :tinfoil: about it, but then I realize that if my IUD was misplaced I would know (from the excruciating pain that it would cause) and that there is no margin for user-error (like there is for the pill, ring, etc). Its more of a "too good to be true" paranoia. If I did get pregnant in the one-in-a-million shot, both me and my partner know how we would handle that.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

THE_Chris posted:

Just to calm my paranoia a bit.

Me and my girlfriend (both STD clean) have started having sex without a condom until I'm getting reasonably close to cumming. Then I'll put a condom on and finish off in that. She is on the pill and takes it reliably, within the hour each morning.

This is going to be somewhere between "condom + pill" and "pill only" in levels of safety isnt it? I know the debate about whether there is sperm in precum isn't resolved yet, but whats the latest evidence for/against it, assuming its my first cum of the evening?

Yes, there can definitely be sperm in precum. That's not disputed. You can't for sure know whether there will be or not, however. What you're doing right now is not necessary, however, since you are both STD clean and she takes her pill regularly. It must be awkward and annoying to have a condom-getting intermission. I would say stop worrying about condoms so long as she's being regular with her pill, and have a serious talk about what you would do if you end up within the tiny tiny proportion of couples who produce a pregnancy while on birth control.

I really don't get why so many people think condom + BC in a monogamous relationship is necessary and anything less is irresponsible :psyduck:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

2508084 posted:

There's a debate as to whether there's sperm in precum? I thought it was a fact. I'm not being snarky at all, I seriously didn't know it was debated.

Re: IUD and pregnancy.. sometimes I get :tinfoil: about it, but then I realize that if my IUD was misplaced I would know (from the excruciating pain that it would cause) and that there is no margin for user-error (like there is for the pill, ring, etc). Its more of a "too good to be true" paranoia. If I did get pregnant in the one-in-a-million shot, both me and my partner know how we would handle that.

There is some debate as to whether there is always sperm in precum or if there are just "straggler sperm" left over from the last ejaculation hanging out in the urethra until they get flushed out by precum. If the latter is the case, then theoretically you would be safe the first time around and every other time as long as you pee after every ejaculation. BUT I think what it comes down to here is "better safe than sorry" which is probably why most people go on the assumption that there is always sperm in there.

As for the original question: I'm not an expert, but generally I just figure if there's any kind of condom-free sex going on you're mostly relying on the pill's effectiveness. But since she's taking them reliably/as instructed, that is still drat good protection (around 99% effective I think?) Like I said earlier, I think it mostly comes down to what you're willing to risk.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I really don't get why so many people think condom + BC in a monogamous relationship is necessary and anything less is irresponsible :psyduck:

I think some of it comes down to not having a good grasp of what hormonal birth control actually *does* in a woman's body. I remember a post somewhere else in Ask/Tell once where the guy clearly thought that the more sperm inside the woman = higher likelihood for her birth control to fail. Other posters had to explain that it really doesn't matter how much sperm is in there if there's no egg for them to fertilize.

Then you factor in good old paranoia instilled by crappy sex ed classes and afterschool specials where any sex at all will make you instantly pregnant.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 21, 2012

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Thanks guys :) Some good news is that my partner didn't feel the strings at all! I was worried it might be irritating for him, but so far, so good.

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yes, there can definitely be sperm in precum. That's not disputed. You can't for sure know whether there will be or not, however. What you're doing right now is not necessary, however, since you are both STD clean and she takes her pill regularly. It must be awkward and annoying to have a condom-getting intermission. I would say stop worrying about condoms so long as she's being regular with her pill, and have a serious talk about what you would do if you end up within the tiny tiny proportion of couples who produce a pregnancy while on birth control.

Thanks. She's just as paranoid about getting pregnant as I am about getting her pregnant, so statistics aside both of us would just feel happier and more relaxed if we used both for now.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
So, the unexpected happened. Despite using the pill at a fairly consistent basis, my girlfriend is pregnant. We don't know exactly what went wrong, but she was very sick from a recent trip in Cuba and was on antibiotics. We probably should have been more careful.

We're looking at terminating the pregnancy. Adoption would be very difficult for us to go through (she works as a nanny and adores children) and keeping the child would be financially and socially irresponsible for us at this point.

I want to support her in any way I possibly can, but this is hard on the both of us. I guess what I'm looking for are stories and advice from anyone who might have been through this. I've absolutely no doubt she's going to have an aversion to sex / intimacy in the short or long-term, and understandably so. How did your relationships play out post-abortion? How did you cope / not cope with the situation?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Thello, I'm sorry to hear you're in this situation. I would probably do the same. I bet it is pretty rough to go through. If you do not get replies here, please feel free to make a thread. I'll pop in and forbid political debates about it if you do.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Thello posted:

I want to support her in any way I possibly can, but this is hard on the both of us. I guess what I'm looking for are stories and advice from anyone who might have been through this. I've absolutely no doubt she's going to have an aversion to sex / intimacy in the short or long-term, and understandably so. How did your relationships play out post-abortion? How did you cope / not cope with the situation?
I have no specific advice other than possibly seeking out individual and couples counselors to help you both deal with the aftermath. You both have my thoughts, its a terrible decision to have to come to. :(

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Thello posted:

So, the unexpected happened. Despite using the pill at a fairly consistent basis, my girlfriend is pregnant. We don't know exactly what went wrong, but she was very sick from a recent trip in Cuba and was on antibiotics. We probably should have been more careful.

I'm also very sorry to hear this. If she was experiencing vomiting or diarrhea that could have affected the absorption of the pill's hormones. (Most antibiotics don't affect hormonal contraception.) Even when you're a perfect user there is still a chance of failure, so don't be too hard on yourself. Our bodies are designed to get pregnant after all.

I'll second the suggestion to see couples and/or individual counselling if either of you are distressed. (Just don't visit a "crisis pregnancy center!") Best of luck to you both, I hope everything turns out okay.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Welp, finally got my IUD today. After years of waiting, I finally don't have to worry about birth control for the next 12 years.

I'm not sure if I posted previously upthread, but my boyfriend drove me up to New Hampshire where I could get seen at the Planned Parenthood on a sliding scale. In the end the IUD cost me $3, which my boyfriend payed for.

The procedure itself was unpleasant. I want to preface with saying I've never had cramps from my period in my life. Ever. I think for someone who experiences cramps before, it's probably on par with mild to moderate cramping. It wasn't brutal, but it took my breath away a bit and I wasn't really comfortable. The worst part was when she was measuring my uterus.

Afterwords was when poo poo went down. I was cramping pretty badly and my blood pressure kept dropping every time I sat up. The nurse and the OBGYN who saw me went above and beyond to trying to help me and keep me comfortable. They got me crackers, propped my feet up, gave me water and some chocolate. They brought my boyfriend back and he held my hand because the cramps were coming in waves and were probably about a 7-8/10. I finally got up and put my pants on but I guess I wasn't ready to leave because I got woozy in the waiting room when I was paying! So back down I went. They kept taking my blood pressure and pulse and eventually I felt well enough to leave (I also took a benadryl because I started to panic). It was really uncomfortable afterwords - the ride home my boyfriend held my hand and I eventually fell asleep.

It's better now but I'm still uncomfortable. Like I said, I've never had cramps in my life until now, so for someone who normally gets crampy this is probably normal. This was totally new to me. Bleeding isn't so bad so far and I'm going to order a softer menstrual cup for my next period.

Seriously, the staff went above and beyond in helping me, I feel like I need to send them a thank you card. They knew I was travelling from out of state and they had to reschedule from last Friday and they were incredibly patient and accommodating. I'm just incredibly overwhelmed with how kind they were and my boyfriend's patience even.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Yeah, IUD insertion is never fun, but it sounds like you had a particularly bad time of it. Hopefully you won't get as-bad cramps come your period - if so, a heating bad and a bottle of Midol are your friends. Sounds like the medical staff were really great to you though - I'm sure they'd appreciate a card to let them know.

My first IUD insertion was almost a polar opposite - not too painful but I was nervous as hell. The doctor was awful - she brought in a med student to watch without really asking permission, spent the entire time talking to the student instead of me (which was super creepy when she was describing the position of my uterus, etc), and barely said anything to me after it was done, pretty much "you're set, get dressed". Not a word of warning about the blood on the examination chair sheets or if that was normal. I ended up sending a note too, though it definitely wasn't a thank you card.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Drei posted:

Yeah, IUD insertion is never fun, but it sounds like you had a particularly bad time of it. Hopefully you won't get as-bad cramps come your period - if so, a heating bad and a bottle of Midol are your friends. Sounds like the medical staff were really great to you though - I'm sure they'd appreciate a card to let them know.

My first IUD insertion was almost a polar opposite - not too painful but I was nervous as hell. The doctor was awful - she brought in a med student to watch without really asking permission, spent the entire time talking to the student instead of me (which was super creepy when she was describing the position of my uterus, etc), and barely said anything to me after it was done, pretty much "you're set, get dressed". Not a word of warning about the blood on the examination chair sheets or if that was normal. I ended up sending a note too, though it definitely wasn't a thank you card.

Yeah, the doctor said I was pretty calm through the procedure (I was), but afterwords I guess I let it all loose, haha. She was talking me through the whole procedure, which I thought I wouldn't want to know, but it helped a lot. I'm sorry you had such junky doctor's the first time :( That would definitely make the procedure a lot more unpleasant.

And yup, I'm making good friends with my heating pad. They told me I could take 800mg ibuprofin 3x a day, so I'm doing that and the heating pad. I was surprised because even the pelvic exam and the speculum was kind of painful - usually I don't feel a thing during either of them. Perhaps it's because I'm on my period.

Just to go on the record for saying, please don't let this deter anyone from getting an IUD :( I know I was super nervous mostly because I was reading everyone's horror stories on IUD_Divas. Like I said, I've never, ever had cramps. I had no clue what they felt like or what to expect.

So it's not weird if I send them a thank you card or something? I know they're doing their jobs but I feel like they went above and beyond.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I think it's always a good idea to let someone know you appreciate them, even if they're "just doing their job". I don't know how often medical personnel get thank you cards, but I doubt it's often. It would probably make them very happy to hear how much you appreciated their care, and then they can pass that good vibe onto whoever they're treating that day! :)

And to echo Shnook's sentiments, don't let my bad experience put you off either - I had that IUD for 4 years and never regretted it.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I think they would love a card! I know the staff at my local family planning all work super hard and are always so busy - you'll probably make their day.

Morozko
Dec 21, 2010

Shrek is love
Shrek is life
So I'm kinda in a dilemma right now. Somewhat my own fault but I've been stressing out about it for the last few days that it's somewhat hard to function. I'm not sure if this is the right thread but you guys seem to know what you're talking about, which could be relevant for my situation.

In mid to late January, I ran out of my BC pills (Levora for reference). I didn't order a refill right away but when I did, I was going to pick it up on Monday February 6th. On Sunday February 5th, I had unprotected sex :doh:. The next day, I picked up my Levora as planned, as well as Plan B. Took both when I got home. And I've been taking my BC consistently since. What worries me is that I haven't gotten my period since. I called the advice nurse early this morning and they said that it's still normal that I haven't gotten my period yet. If I still haven't by Monday February 27th, then I should go see a doctor and/or take a pregnancy test. But I've been so worried and I feel so stupid. I've been having these slight cramps that I think are gas related but apparently, these cramps can happen in the first few weeks of pregnancy too. Or they can be caused by stress. I'm also taking into account that both the Plan B and the Levora are drastically changing my cycle but I don't know how. I'm supposed to take my placebo pills next week.

Everybody I talked to about this seemed so vague, but I figure you guys could give me a better answer (If you can. Maybe I'm being delusional). However, I decided that if I'm indeed pregnant, I'm going to take the abortion pill. I hate hospitals and procedures. And after witnessing a couple of friends going through medical abortions, it kinda scared me.

But seriously though. Thanks for putting up with my stupidity.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Plan B is often referred to as "the abortion pill", so you already took it. Beyond that, there are no pills that can induce a miscarriage that I'm aware of (and plan B doesn't induce miscarriage, it just prevents the egg from releasing or being fertilized, I forget which). You took plan B well within the time frame for it to be as useful as it could. Make an appointment to see an OBGYN on or after the 27th and have a pregnancy done for your own peace of mind.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

2508084 posted:

Plan B is often referred to as "the abortion pill", so you already took it. Beyond that, there are no pills that can induce a miscarriage that I'm aware of (and plan B doesn't induce miscarriage, it just prevents the egg from releasing or being fertilized, I forget which). You took plan B well within the time frame for it to be as useful as it could. Make an appointment to see an OBGYN on or after the 27th and have a pregnancy done for your own peace of mind.

She's probably talking about something like mifepristone aka RU-486, which is a drug that is used to perform medical abortions as an alternative to the more invasive vacuum aspiration method. It's not the only one out there, but that's the most well known one I think.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

2508084 posted:

Just to be clear, however, Plan B is not an abortion pill, even if people call it that. It's a huge dose of the same hormones in normal birth control and it works by yelling your ovaries 'REALLY REALLY NO EGGS OKAY' and by messing with the mucus in your uterus to make it less hospitable for implantation. If an egg has already ovulated, Plan B can't stop it. If a fertilized egg has already implanted, Plan B can't stop it.

There IS a pill that can be used for very early term abortions, but it is not Plan B. (what NaturalLow said) From what I've heard it isn't pleasant to take either, but I guess at least you can be feeling awful and gross at home instead of in a clinic.

Morozko, you're fine. Plan B will gently caress up your cycle for a while because that's what happens when you dump a whole load of hormones into your body at once. Add to that your own stress and the lapse in your other birth control and I'd be more surprised if you had had a period.

Wait, now that I think of it, you must only be on like week 2 or 3 of your pill... You aren't even due for a period yet? Right?

Anyway, take a pregnancy test right now if you want to get some peace of mind. Otherwise, relax and know that you're really quite unlikely to be pregnant. It's okay. :glomp:

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Morozko posted:

So I'm kinda in a dilemma right now. Somewhat my own fault but I've been stressing out about it for the last few days that it's somewhat hard to function. I'm not sure if this is the right thread but you guys seem to know what you're talking about, which could be relevant for my situation.

In mid to late January, I ran out of my BC pills (Levora for reference). I didn't order a refill right away but when I did, I was going to pick it up on Monday February 6th. On Sunday February 5th, I had unprotected sex :doh:. The next day, I picked up my Levora as planned, as well as Plan B. Took both when I got home. And I've been taking my BC consistently since. What worries me is that I haven't gotten my period since. I called the advice nurse early this morning and they said that it's still normal that I haven't gotten my period yet. If I still haven't by Monday February 27th, then I should go see a doctor and/or take a pregnancy test. But I've been so worried and I feel so stupid. I've been having these slight cramps that I think are gas related but apparently, these cramps can happen in the first few weeks of pregnancy too. Or they can be caused by stress. I'm also taking into account that both the Plan B and the Levora are drastically changing my cycle but I don't know how. I'm supposed to take my placebo pills next week.

Everybody I talked to about this seemed so vague, but I figure you guys could give me a better answer (If you can. Maybe I'm being delusional). However, I decided that if I'm indeed pregnant, I'm going to take the abortion pill. I hate hospitals and procedures. And after witnessing a couple of friends going through medical abortions, it kinda scared me.

But seriously though. Thanks for putting up with my stupidity.

Plan B can massively screw with your cycle, it can additionally have all manner of unpleasant side effects like the cramping you're experiencing. Taking it in addition to resuming your normal contraceptive I really can't say anything your describing is particularly out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotallySmurfedHer
Dec 9, 2011
Marathons are more fun in bed
I want to get my groove on with my new dude and would never do so without being on birth control. I haven't been on birth control for 4 years and when I was I had to go through like 8 of them because of the severe nausea it caused. Has anyone else had problems with birth control making them so nauseous that they have been unable to stay on it? I've taken the anti-nausea medication for the first few weeks while taking the meds and it still doesn't do anything. I'm not partial to the idea of having sex sans birth control. And yes, before anyone puts two and two together, this means I haven't had sex in like 4 years. I was with a guy who was a virgin and waiting till marriage for sex. I was willing to deal with that because I loved him and we didn't end up breaking up because of that. It was the horribly mentally abusive crap he would do that ended our relationship. Thanks for your help!

• Locked thread