Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
An immersion blender will be fine as long as there's enough liquid to keep it flowing.

aricoarena posted:

I have way too many limes! What can I do with limes?

I know I'm a little late, but gimlets are my suggestion. They take a lot of lime juice and are so refreshing, fresh lime would make amazing gimlets.

I like turtles posted:

I got a bunch of tasty local raw honey.
Other than eating it from the jar like a fatass or mixing it into tea/whatever, what can I do with it?

Whip it with butter. :3: Try your hand at mead or get some cider and try making cizer. Or try making chai, or granola, or use it as the base for a marinade. Honey does weird good things to beef soaked in it.

Bunnita posted:

My dad got me some local honey from where I grew up, which is awesome, but it has a lot more honeycomb than actual honey, at least from what I can see, and it's really crystallized.

How do I make this usable or is it and I am just used to the stuff from a bear?

To separate it right you'd need a centrifuge, but I always thought the wax didn't detract from just eating comb honey as a snack or a toast spread (the wax is fine to eat). It's a pain to set up apparatus for heating it out of the wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

SatoshiMiwa posted:

How long do whole fresh chili peppers keep in the fridge. Local market has them on special ending soon but not planning to make chili quite yet. Will they keep a week in the fridge?

I've found that peppers last a pretty long time, 2-3 weeks, when kept in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge. Stored loose, non-airtight, they may go a week before they start looking like green raisins.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

aricoarena posted:

I have way too many limes! What can I do with limes?

Use them for a marinade, anywhere where you might otherwise use lemons. Great for making fajitas, for example.

Splodygirl
Feb 20, 2011

Pull this pin
I'm hoping someone here can help me fix an old recipe I learned to cook from my mom.

Basically it's a Chicken Divan recipe, though it's not quite like some of the ones I've gotten googling. I don't have exact measurements - she never used them, so I never learned to. You start off with a knob of butter in a hot pan. Once that's melted, she'd put in a couple of cans of cream of chicken soup, stir it up, add a couple of hefty dollops of mayo, a splash of lemon juice, 2-3 tablespoons of mustard, and a bunch of curry powder. (I use a lot more curry than her. Delicious.) Last you lower the heat and add in a handful of sharp shredded cheese, stirring constantly so it doesn't turn into stringy glop. We layer a bunch of cooked chicken in a casserole dish, cover it with chopped broccoli, then pour the sauce over and cook until the broccoli is cooked through. Serve over rice.

I'd like to get rid of the cream of chicken soup, if I can. All the reading I've done suggests that stuff is absolute crap for you. There's got to be a better way to do it, but I have no idea what to use in place of it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm planning to make this next week, so it'd be a good opportunity to do some experimenting.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Splodygirl posted:

I'm hoping someone here can help me fix an old recipe I learned to cook from my mom.

Basically it's a Chicken Divan recipe, though it's not quite like some of the ones I've gotten googling. I don't have exact measurements - she never used them, so I never learned to. You start off with a knob of butter in a hot pan. Once that's melted, she'd put in a couple of cans of cream of chicken soup, stir it up, add a couple of hefty dollops of mayo, a splash of lemon juice, 2-3 tablespoons of mustard, and a bunch of curry powder. (I use a lot more curry than her. Delicious.) Last you lower the heat and add in a handful of sharp shredded cheese, stirring constantly so it doesn't turn into stringy glop. We layer a bunch of cooked chicken in a casserole dish, cover it with chopped broccoli, then pour the sauce over and cook until the broccoli is cooked through. Serve over rice.

I'd like to get rid of the cream of chicken soup, if I can. All the reading I've done suggests that stuff is absolute crap for you. There's got to be a better way to do it, but I have no idea what to use in place of it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm planning to make this next week, so it'd be a good opportunity to do some experimenting.

So pretty much what you need is a Mornay Sauce?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Phummus posted:

I'm doing pork chops with a cider/shallot sauce tonight. I want to do something different for a side, and I'm thinking a puree. I supposed canned beans would be quick, but are there any other quick purees I could do that would go well with the pork and cider?

Can I do a decent puree with an immersion blender, or should I get out the food processor?
Potato purée using a very potato-y potato (like fingerling) and topped with egg.

If you're using a stick blender the main thing I'd worry about is overmixing. I usually do purées by hand with a food mill. But if you can use a low speed setting or manually pulse the blender and avoid whipping in to much air or overworking things, it's not that big of a deal. And it's more of an issue with potatoes than it is with fruit or vegetables---like I really wouldn't worry about overworking a broccoli purée or something like that unless you're dozing off while you're hitting it with the blender.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
I have a question regarding an odd ingredient I ended up buying. After reading a bit of the Apicius I was fascinated by the ancient roman condiment, garum. It is a fish-based sauce which was ubiquitous in Roman cookery.

Instead of buying garum, I opted for a modern variation. Collatura, which is essentially the fish-pressed distillate of anchovies.

I find its too strong to use in most dishes. I have mostly used it to add some flavor to various soups but surely there should be a way of using this in a pasta meal?

Any suggestions?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Ok, so I got that berkshire pork linguisa for a song... now what do I do with it?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the pepper help. I'll just chop and freeze them and save them for future chilli!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

kiteless posted:

Ok, so I got that berkshire pork linguisa for a song... now what do I do with it?

Grill (or broil) it up and have it for breakfast with eggs and such. Or use it in caldo verde. It'd be bitchin on pizza with hard sheep cheese. Or use it like an appetizer by frying up chunks of it and serving it on toasted bread with some white beans pureed with garlic, olive oil, and rosemary.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

TerryLennox posted:

I have a question regarding an odd ingredient I ended up buying. After reading a bit of the Apicius I was fascinated by the ancient roman condiment, garum. It is a fish-based sauce which was ubiquitous in Roman cookery.

Instead of buying garum, I opted for a modern variation. Collatura, which is essentially the fish-pressed distillate of anchovies.

I find its too strong to use in most dishes. I have mostly used it to add some flavor to various soups but surely there should be a way of using this in a pasta meal?

Any suggestions?

The only person I know who had used that ended up using it like a fish sauce substitute. Which now has me wondering if you could use it to make kimchi.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kiteless posted:

This might sound pedestrian, but I like it on pizza.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

So that's 2 recs here for pizza and 1 on chat... guess I'm makin' pizza?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kiteless posted:

Make feijoada.

Splodygirl
Feb 20, 2011

Pull this pin

Ask Me For Warez posted:

So pretty much what you need is a Mornay Sauce?

That looks like exactly what I need. Obviously, I need to start learning sauces if I really want to get better at cooking. Thank you very much - I'll give that a try.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Just bought a whole fresh chicken super cheap, any recommendations on what to do with it? I'd rather not roast it whole, I'm likely going to be eating it by my self over a few days and reheating it seems to make it dry.

Last time I took it apart, flipped the pieces in some flour and fried them in butter. The carcass was turned into chicken soup. I'm feeling fat right now so would rather not fry it in butter.

Darval fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 21, 2012

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Darval posted:

Just bought a whole fresh chicken super cheap, any recommendations on what to do with it? I'd rather not roast it whole, I'm likely going to be eating it by my self over a few days and reheating it seems to make it dry.

Last time I took it apart, flipped the pieces in some flour and fried them in butter. The carcass was turned into chicken soup. I'm feeling fat right now so would rather not fry it in butter.

Cook it in a slow cooker, remove the meat from the carcass and make chicken salad.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Don't have a slow cooker :( They're not very widespread in Denmark sadly, the only ones I've been able to find are really expensive.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

kiteless posted:

You could try giving it a small dice, sauteing it off and adding to a Mac and Cheese.

Or pizza. Pizza's good.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

kiteless posted:

If you have some left after pizza, try them with fish/shellfish!

Slice, fry a bit, then toss in some tomatoes and white wine and clams/mussels/whatever ya got. Or do whole baked fish stuffed with linguisa and aromatics. Or do Portuguese kale soup.

Or just fry them up and stuff them in some good bread. Always a great option.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Darval posted:

Don't have a slow cooker :( They're not very widespread in Denmark sadly, the only ones I've been able to find are really expensive.

A Dutch oven on the stove or in the oven would work too, although you probably don't want to start that and leave the house the way you could with a crock pot.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

Any suggestions?

Puttanesca. That's supposed to have anchovies in anyway.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

RazorBunny posted:

A Dutch oven on the stove or in the oven would work too, although you probably don't want to start that and leave the house the way you could with a crock pot.

Why not use the oven unsupervised? I trust it at least as much as the crock pot.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

taqueso posted:

Why not use the oven unsupervised? I trust it at least as much as the crock pot.

Heaven forbid your pilot light goes out on your gas oven.

Crock pots, on the other hand, were engineered to be turned on and unattended.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

Well your pilot light could go out any time whether the oven is on or not. If the burner on the oven went out that would certainly be a problem, but I don't even know how that would happen. It certainly never happened growing up with a gas oven.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

pnumoman posted:

I have an electric, so I wasn't thinking of that, but a gas oven should be engineered to shut off in that event. No pilot light = no gas. And if the flame goes out but the pilot stays on, it should just light again (I think, I'm certainly not an expert). My mom's gas oven even has a timed start mode.

I don't have much respect for quality control of cheap crock pots (or any electric heating element products like coffee pots), either: http://rival-products.pissedconsumer.com/rival-slow-cooker-crockpot-caught-fire-glass-top-shattered-20090624150346.html http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/fe...appliances.html http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10328.html

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Eh, I guess y'all are right. I dunno, I just find the idea of leaving an oven on unattended all day a bit worrisome.

Then again, I don't keep crock pots on all day unattended either, so I guess I shouldn't be opining on all day unattended cooking.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Darval posted:

Make a roasted chicken ragu. I outlined how to do it in an old version of the dinner thread:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Break down 1 whole chicken into breasts, thighs, wings, and legs. Roast the carcass and neck in a oven. I know this isn't really a roast chicken, and I'm sure you can do a whole roast chicken if you want, I just knew this recipe was already going to take a really long time, I didn't feel like tacking on more time to roast a chicken.

While the carcass and neck are roasting in the oven make a basic tomato sauce. Sweat a minced onion in olive oil for about 10 min, add grated carrot and minced garlic, sweat for another 5 min or so, add about a cup of dry non oaked white wine. Add hand crushed tinned San Marzano tomatoes and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the texture of oatmeal. (Some may recognize this as Batali's basic tomato sauce).

Salt and sear the meats skin side first in batches in a stock pot. Replace all the meat and add the roasted neck and carcass, deglaze the roasting vessel with some water and add to the pot, cover with water and simmer for an hour and a half. Remove from stock, cool and shred, removing cartilage and skin. Strain stock and return to heat, reduce to about 1 cup. Add tomato sauce, shredded meat, two bay leaves and a VERY small dash of cinnamon. Simmer stirring every so often for another 30 min or so. At the end stir in some minced fresh oregano.

Serve with pappardelle, orecchiete, in a lasanga, or in a bowl with crusty bread.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 21, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I guess my paranoia about leaving the oven or stove on all day unattended is mostly because I had old lovely ones for a long time that I was worried about. Still have the old lovely cooktop (electric :gonk:) but new ovens, which I think I would be more comfortable leaving on without me there to check on them.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

taqueso posted:

pot roast pro = pot proast

Awesome -- glad it turned out well for you! Also glad to see you had some before and after "soak." Yeah the more I think about it, the more I recall that we just let the veggies go while we braised and we only did the cheesecloth bed for super delicate things like lamb shanks and pork belly. Just a reminder to whoever, if you're going to be putting peppercorns or coriander in a braise make sure they won't get loose! It will suck biting into one that gets stuck to the side of your meat.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kiteless posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND is from the South Coast in Massachusetts, meaning she's very Portuguese and she introduced linguica to me 2 years ago. It's ridiculously tasty on pizza or served with peppers and onions on delicious Portuguese rolls.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I got a bunch of tasty local raw honey.
Other than eating it from the jar like a fatass or mixing it into tea/whatever, what can I do with it?
:3: Honey is marvelous stuff: http://www.honey.com/nhb/recipes/ The National Honey Board has a ton of recipes. Which is good because my parents raised bees for a while and when you measure your honey stash in tens of pounds things get a little crazy.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Before I try it, are there any foolproof tips so I don't gently caress up making hollandaise? I had eggs royale this morning and I'm craving again. Was going to go with the guide in the CIA professional chef book.
Don't stop whisking! :cry:

Phummus posted:

I'm doing pork chops with a cider/shallot sauce tonight. I want to do something different for a side, and I'm thinking a puree. I supposed canned beans would be quick, but are there any other quick purees I could do that would go well with the pork and cider?
Ooooh, pureed parsnips! Boil them up with half an onion and a little salt until tender. Drain the water, reserving a cup or two, then puree until smooth. You can use the cooking liquid to get things to the right consistency for your blender. Top with butter.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I have a whole leg of venison in my freezer and no idea what to do with it.

I did some reading, and I know the basics of cooking venison but I've honestly no idea what to DO with the thing. Both my mother and coworker suggest chili, but I'd likely be the only one eating it (and that happens an awful lot). Are there any ways I can prepare it that even picky eaters will enjoy?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Grill (or broil) it up and have it for breakfast with eggs and such. Or use it in caldo verde. It'd be bitchin on pizza with hard sheep cheese. Or use it like an appetizer by frying up chunks of it and serving it on toasted bread with some white beans pureed with garlic, olive oil, and rosemary.

Too lazy to make pizza, so I made caldo verde. Good idea, thanks Wiggles, it was a great hearty soup on a cold, dark, rainy day--I topped it with a drizzle of sherry vinegar, olive oil, and some smoked paprika.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I did some reading, and I know the basics of cooking venison but I've honestly no idea what to DO with the thing. Both my mother and coworker suggest chili, but I'd likely be the only one eating it (and that happens an awful lot). Are there any ways I can prepare it that even picky eaters will enjoy?

Grind it up and make burgers, with lots of garlic and herbs mixed in? I've also had really awesome venison kebabs that were marinated in red wine and tons of rosemary.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

My brother and me used the following recipe last Sunday.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/03/how-cook-leg-venison

It came out very well even though we didn't have juniper berries. You can then serve as is or include a bitching sauce. It went very well for me with smoked horseradish sauce in small amounts.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm planning to make a cheddar ale soup for a potluck. I'm thinking I'll follow this basic recipe with a few modifications: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Beer_Cheese_Soup
Main things I need to change are removing the meat, and cooking it in a crock pot.

I think it should be fairly easy to adjust for a crock pot, just haven't decided if I want to do it as directed and then finish it in the crock, or go straight from cooking the veggies to dumping it all in and letting it go on low for ~8 hours. I figure I might need to wait until the end to add the cheese in this case though. I'm also probably going to blend at the end because I have an immersion blender. Another thing I'm considering is adding a head of roasted garlic for more flavor, as long as it won't overpower everything else.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with crock pot soups than I?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

kiteless posted:

Too lazy to make pizza, so I made caldo verde. Good idea, thanks Wiggles, it was a great hearty soup on a cold, dark, rainy day--I topped it with a drizzle of sherry vinegar, olive oil, and some smoked paprika.

Good, I'm glad it worked out well.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

My cousin got a job at noma. I live in oz. Should I start saving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

The only person I know who had used that ended up using it like a fish sauce substitute. Which now has me wondering if you could use it to make kimchi.

Yeah, garum and fish sauce are very similar. It's strong, you're never going to use much of it in a single dish. It's a salt/umami thing, you can use it wherever that's appropriate. But seriously add a few drops at a time and taste, you can use too much very easily.

Also if you're cooking Roman food, beware that Romans loving LOVED salt and a lot of the recipes come out very very salty. Whenever I do a Roman recipe I immediately knock out half the salt at least. Unless you're a fan of tons of salt I would recommend that.