Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Nate405 posted:

Assuming your gamer tag is the same as your username here, Xbox Live is showing that you're playing vanilla and not ultimate.

My god, I am stupid as poo poo. Whats can I say, haven't played it in months, forgot what the UI looked like.

Well, at least that explains it. I am so embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SCUaJkovw

This character....

e: I mean this stuff is far from practical and useful but it sure does look silly.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2012

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
God dammit. Whenever I have to do a quarter circle + button X followed immediately by button Y (hawkeye flip arrows and iron man fly cancels in particular) I always accidentally input "d, db, X, b Y" giving me a totally different move and loving up my combo, It's infuriating and I don't know how to break the habit. Anyone else have this problem?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Flying High posted:

Chris G. Did a Phoenix Wright team before the nerf and don't forget about the best Hsien-Ko player LLND

and LLND also uses Chris!

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Brett824 posted:

This character....

e: I mean this stuff is far from practical and useful but it sure does look silly.

I want to learn how to do this now just to troll people online.

coogi
Jun 18, 2004

Fenn the Fool! posted:

God dammit. Whenever I have to do a quarter circle + button X followed immediately by button Y (hawkeye flip arrows and iron man fly cancels in particular) I always accidentally input "d, db, X, b Y" giving me a totally different move and loving up my combo, It's infuriating and I don't know how to break the habit. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't, but taking Hawkeye arrows as an example: maybe run through combos in the lab, and when you input the flip move, wait as long as possible after the flip comes out to hit the second attack for the arrow? Even if you miss the hitstun window and drop it. Then work your way towards doing it faster.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Brett824 posted:

This character....

Oh man, I need to learn Zero soooooooooooooooo bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brett824 posted:

This character....

Aw man, as a Zero main, this is the silliest goddamn poo poo. It's amazing.

I love how everyone fears Zero as a destroyer of worlds, and I can certainly see it in combos and associated damage, but gently caress, man, that just makes the character losses to superjumping upbackers all that more depressing. :negative:

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

S-Alpha posted:

Aw man, as a Zero main, this is the silliest goddamn poo poo. It's amazing.

I love how everyone fears Zero as a destroyer of worlds, and I can certainly see it in combos and associated damage, but gently caress, man, that just makes the character losses to superjumping upbackers all that more depressing. :negative:

C lightning cancel with buster shot teleport down.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It still gets read and blocked. Throw attempts are punished with normals or broken, Raikousen mixups get blocked (gently caress if I know how, but hey), and airdash crossovers are a little schizo.

I'm beginning to think I'm playing psychics instead of normal human beings.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

S-Alpha posted:

It still gets read and blocked. Throw attempts are punished with normals or broken, Raikousen mixups get blocked (gently caress if I know how, but hey), and airdash crossovers are a little schizo.

Well drat Zero does have to lose to SOMETHING.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Fellblade posted:

What makes any character good outside of the main reason they are good?

If you are going to exclude the tri-dash mixup and the float stuff the only thing she really has are her supers, Hailstorm is the best team hyper super in the game pretty much and the DP one is a instant full screen (well, on ground or near ground) punish.

Other characters can do the tri-dash and runaway about as well (if not better on the tri-dash mixup aspect), so all she has are her supers. Rage of Gaia and Hailstorm are drat good punishes, but the former does poo poo damage and the latter can be substituted with Okami Shuffle.

Chocolate America posted:

No he can't because his teleports track opponents. If you're not constantly teleporting around like a nutcase with Strider then you're not doing it right.

Strider's biggest strength is the sheer number of options he has for opening people up. He is intentionally designed to be a low damage character who makes up for it in reset/mixup potential. A good player will take advantage of as many of those as possible based on the current matchup.

But this is Marvel vs. Capcom 3 where there are high damage characters with heavy reset/mixup potential who have a lot of (simpler) tools for opening people up. They're some of the best characters in the game, in fact.

Brett824 posted:

This character....

:laffo: Is it wrong to yell "SOKO DAROU" every time Zero does those loops?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Okami shuffle does less damage than hailstorm, and doesn't OTG. He said team super, as in THC.

It's also not active first frame after the flash like hailstorm.

From what I've seen Storm isn't amazing or anything, but she's got pretty decent utility in her DHC/THC doing monstrous damage, a decent assist, and having a relatively good mixup/reset game. Her instant overhead float is one of the best overheads in the game, and her j.S is insanely active which is pretty useful considering her movement.

Honestly the best strength she has from what I've seen is her movement speed, which is vital in this game. She's basically got the best mobility in the entire game, alongside having the longest airborne time thanks to hover and flight.

Also you can't upback a good Zero without the right characters, his mixup game is loving ridiculous if you let him get under you without hassle. You need to be able to challenge him horizontally in the air (normal jump height mostly), or have extremely good mobility while still being able to stay above him and shoot projectiles (you need to be able to move after firing projectiles.).

Shoryu Ken Masters
Feb 21, 2006

I've destroyed whole planets, so what chance has your club got?

S-Alpha posted:

Saying stuff like this is silly. If you're constantly getting punished, blocked, and mixups are being read, then that's probably just a problem with you being predictable.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004

Shoryu Ken Masters posted:

Saying stuff like this is silly. If you're constantly getting punished, blocked, and mixups are being read, then that's probably just a problem with you being predictable.

Especially with Zero, one of the most unpredictable characters in the game. Hell, I'll say the most unpredictable since you can just buster cancel everything.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shoryu Ken Masters posted:

That's quite probable. My 'scene' consists of three players whom I get together with and play a shitton of matches with a couple times a week. Either from complacency, or playing with the same people for the last forever and a half, I have been running into ruts as of late.

My general mixup strategy for same-level air-to-air is Rai.M, buster, Rai.L, varying between actually crossing up or not, to create some ambiguity. Rai.H is my go-to for opponents above me, with variations including airdash and teleport crossups. Is there something a bit more vague I should be using? That's the general stuff I get from watching Zero match vids and poo poo.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Do it slowly and deliberately, focusing on doing it right. Every once in a while I'll get in the habit of doing some timing wrong. It seems like a total pain in the rear end to break the habit but if you practice slowly and focus it really only takes ten minutes to start doing it right again.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
(X-Posting because you Marvel guys love this poo poo, right?)

In 7 days, the world will see a clash like never before!

Welcome to :aaaaa:X-Men vs. Street Fighter!:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo! There will be punching! And kicking! And flying and unflying and a ton of bullshit infinites!

(Yes, Magneto is an rear end in a top hat in this game as well.)

There will even be :catdrugs:X-FACTOR:catdrugs:

(No, there won't.)

Well drat, wouldn't it be cool if we had a tournament for this?

:siren: Goons Game Poorly Online Tournament on Wednesday (2/29): X-Men vs Street Fighter :siren:

Forward your ports before the tournament starts. Do it. If you don't and it takes you 20 minutes before you figure out whether you can receive/send challenges you will be DQ'd.

da gently caress is dis game

It's like Marvel vs Capcom, except awesome because IT HAS GEMSI lied no gems.

how da gently caress do i lurn dis game

SRK has a wiki for it.

dis game is 2hard4me

Stop whining, you have one whole week to become the best XvSF player!

i didn't ask for dis!

YES YOU DID NOW SIGN UP

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
gently caress you for reminding me that I have plans next week and can't get my rear end kicked in this tournament! :doom:

Everybody else get in on this poo poo though. XMvSF owns hardcore.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So I have a reset that I use with Nova which uses an light/air throw at the end of his BnB, it's pretty hard to spot but if you know it's coming it's really easy to get out obviously of so I was thinking about alternating an air exchange into Sentinel instead.

I can't seem to find the inputs anywhere or a video showing it but I know I've seen Fanatiq or DiosX do some crazy combo with Sentinel after an air exchange with like 3 rocket punches in the corner. Anybody know what the inputs are or know a video that shows it? I'm hoping it does at least 900k combined with the 571k from Nova otherwise I might as well just do his regular BnB for 765k and hope I can get the throw reset after Super Nova.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fellblade posted:

So I have a reset that I use with Nova which uses an light/air throw at the end of his BnB, it's pretty hard to spot but if you know it's coming it's really easy to get out obviously of so I was thinking about alternating an air exchange into Sentinel instead.

I can't seem to find the inputs anywhere or a video showing it but I know I've seen Fanatiq or DiosX do some crazy combo with Sentinel after an air exchange with like 3 rocket punches in the corner. Anybody know what the inputs are or know a video that shows it? I'm hoping it does at least 900k combined with the 571k from Nova otherwise I might as well just do his regular BnB for 765k and hope I can get the throw reset after Super Nova.

I am pretty sure this got nerfed in the switch to Ultimate when hitstun on Rocket Punch was nerfed. This may not be the optimal air series but you could do:
j.H xx fly j.L j.M j.M j.H xx unfly j.M dj j.M (maybe another j.M) j.S
Then you can end with:
TK Rocket Punch L xx Hard Drive c.M xx Rocket Punch M xx Plasma Storm
or
Rocket Punch L xx Plasma Storm

You can DHC into Nova after Plasma Storm.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dren posted:

I am pretty sure this got nerfed in the switch to Ultimate when hitstun on Rocket Punch was nerfed. This may not be the optimal air series but you could do:
j.H xx fly j.L j.M j.M j.H xx unfly j.M dj j.M (maybe another j.M) j.S
Then you can end with:
TK Rocket Punch L xx Hard Drive c.M xx Rocket Punch M xx Plasma Storm
or
Rocket Punch L xx Plasma Storm

You can DHC into Nova after Plasma Storm.

Yeah I just realised trying some stuff out that if I'm gonna get the exchange I can just do H, fly, MHS, land, Rocket Punch xx Plasma Storm and get a million. Still interested in it for pure swag though. The usual Sentinel fly/unfly BnB works after the exchange until you get to Plasma Storm and they flip out during the startup (you can do Hard Drive instead of taking them down but thats poo poo damage and I can't DHC after it with Nova or Cap).

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Dren posted:

Do it slowly and deliberately, focusing on doing it right. Every once in a while I'll get in the habit of doing some timing wrong. It seems like a total pain in the rear end to break the habit but if you practice slowly and focus it really only takes ten minutes to start doing it right again.

When I do it slowly and deliberately I don't have a problem, it's only when I have to input it quickly for the combo to work that I gently caress up. I'll do 10 backflip-icebreakers or heavy-unfly-heavies in a row with no problem and immediately after cock up the first combo I try with them. Hopefully just raw practice will iron out the problem but man is it frustrating.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fellblade posted:

Yeah I just realised trying some stuff out that if I'm gonna get the exchange I can just do H, fly, MHS, land, Rocket Punch xx Plasma Storm and get a million. Still interested in it for pure swag though. The usual Sentinel fly/unfly BnB works after the exchange until you get to Plasma Storm and they flip out during the startup (you can do Hard Drive instead of taking them down but thats poo poo damage and I can't DHC after it with Nova or Cap).

Provided you get the last hit of Hard Drive (and you most likely will in the corner), you can follow up Hard Drive with c.M, Rocket Punch M, Plasma Storm. Pretty sure it works no matter how much hitstun there is. The c.M is great right there. It's active for a long time, meaning it will make the link easy, and at that point in the combo you're at max scaling so the c.M won't ruin the scaling for you.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

When I do it slowly and deliberately I don't have a problem, it's only when I have to input it quickly for the combo to work that I gently caress up. I'll do 10 backflip-icebreakers or heavy-unfly-heavies in a row with no problem and immediately after cock up the first combo I try with them. Hopefully just raw practice will iron out the problem but man is it frustrating.
Try adding more variation to your practice. Switch point characters more often. Do something like give the BnB (or as much of it as you can do) three chances then switch points no matter if you were successful or not. Put a character you don't normally play on your team and practice some of their combos during the rotation. Alternatively, go into mission mode and do some missions.

For whatever reason doing something other than the thing you're trying SO HARD to do can help you do the thing you're actually trying to learn.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Has anyone found out how to put Shuma-Gorath and Jill onto the PSVita version of the game? I have them downloaded on my PS3, but I don't know how to transfer it to the Vita.

Jamikaze
Jul 12, 2000

CRANKIN'
and
CHUGGIN'
Yo I streamed a thing this weekend and the Grand Finals was a bunch of dumb Zero stuff. I thought you guys might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVyrhlZwt5k&list=UUSXPVx_r9MAUuNNXzIdnQlQ

Zero is seriously too good.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So about that Vita Version.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzVFB6lI8o&feature=player_embedded

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So about that Vita Version.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzVFB6lI8o&feature=player_embedded

1 please!

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
What would be a good addition to a team off Dorm and Doom. I'm still not sure of the order of the team. Maybe something like skrull,dorm,doom?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Jehuti posted:

What would be a good addition to a team off Dorm and Doom. I'm still not sure of the order of the team. Maybe something like skrull,dorm,doom?

What is your preferred assist for Doom?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dorm is a crap assist. Dorm, doom (plasma beam so you can do stupid teleport air dash s mix ups with dormammu), Ammy (cold star) is a good team. There are other anchors that make Doom's mixup game easier, but gotta love the dog. :woof:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The finals at the Break were good this week. http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/22/the-break-weekly-playlist-148-featuring-scv-umvc3/

Winner's finals : Chris G vs Marlinpie. Chris G statement match, he uses Morrigan but no Astral Vision.
Loser's finals : Captain Crunch vs Marlinpie. Nailbiter.
Grand finals : Captain Crunch vs Chris G. Again, a statement. He only uses Astral Vision once.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Niddhogg posted:

What is your preferred assist for Doom?

Right now its plasma beam since I find it helps Dorm the more then hidden missles. I'm thinking I want Doom as anchor just because I'm starting to get all his combos down and he seems pretty good without assists but if there's someone that is a better anchor/good assist with Doom, I'll move Doom around.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jehuti posted:

The answer is Wesker. The answer is ALWAYS Wesker.

Along those lines, my favorite feeling in the world is when someone has been beating me down all match and I'm down to just x-factor Wesker and they have their whole team left and I Wesker their whole team to take it. For that brief moment, I am the rear end in a top hat King of Earth.

I got my first ragequit last night too, I'm moving up in the world :allears:

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Dren posted:

The finals at the Break were good this week. http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/22/the-break-weekly-playlist-148-featuring-scv-umvc3/

Winner's finals : Chris G vs Marlinpie. Chris G statement match, he uses Morrigan but no Astral Vision.
Loser's finals : Captain Crunch vs Marlinpie. Nailbiter.
Grand finals : Captain Crunch vs Chris G. Again, a statement. He only uses Astral Vision once.

He actually uses it like 3 times in the last game but only because Doom got taken out early. Still good poo poo though.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I wish people would stop giving him poo poo for not picking the default wesker/wesker/wesker rushdown team. Seriously, the meta game will evolve around people doing different poo poo and everyone will come out more skilled as a whole. Stop being such gigantic babies (the stream viewers) and enjoy someone playing ikaruga.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I took some time to try and nail down Wright's evidence pull probabilities (at least for the first pull, I know you can only get good evidence or meat if you have 2 bad evidence in slots and I'm not really interested in running another thousand or so pulls with 1 good or 1 bad evidence in a slot.) A few things I learned:

- You have about a 2/3 chance of pulling good evidence

- You have around a 1/4 chance of pulling bad evidence

- All other pulls (about 8-9%) are the healing meat

- There is very little deviation in regards to which good/bad evidence you get.

In some very limited testing it seems like your odds to get good evidence goes up the more slots you have full of good evidence.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Jehuti posted:

If you use hidden missles I'd put Morrigan in the second spot with the meter building assist. She's a rad battery for Dorm and pretty safe with flight cancels and hidden missiles.

If you use plasma beam, Wesker is a good choice.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Wozbo posted:

I wish people would stop giving him poo poo for not picking the default wesker/wesker/wesker rushdown team. Seriously, the meta game will evolve around people doing different poo poo and everyone will come out more skilled as a whole. Stop being such gigantic babies (the stream viewers) and enjoy someone playing ikaruga.

This has always been a problem for scrubs since the first fighting games with projectiles was released. For some reason they have this dumb idea that zoning is "dishonorable" for literally no good reason. It must be some kind of macho "bravery" thing or something. Those people have a child's view of competition and should be completely ignored.

Also never look at stream chat. Ever. Your life will be a lot happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Chocolate America posted:

This has always been a problem for scrubs since the first fighting games with projectiles was released. For some reason they have this dumb idea that zoning is "dishonorable" for literally no good reason. It must be some kind of macho "bravery" thing or something. Those people have a child's view of competition and should be completely ignored.

Also never look at stream chat. Ever. Your life will be a lot happier.

That's the reason why people around here don't wanna play SFIV with me, because PROJECTILES. That and they hate SFIV anyway. :-P Whatever, I'll just play Morrigan/Doom and Athena in KoF.

• Locked thread