Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
My girlfriend and I ended up watching the entire first season of Party Down yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=441

quote:

"The Artist," the most honored film of the year with 17 awards for Best Picture and ten Academy AwardŽ nominations, including Best Picture, will make its pay TV debut exclusively on Netflix rather than on traditional premium cable.

Written and directed by Michel Hazanavicius and starring Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo, "The Artist" brings to life the dawn of talking pictures in an original and deeply entertaining way. The film's many honors include the Golden Globe for Best Picture/ Comedy or Musical and Best Picture Awards from the Producers Guild of America, British Academy of Film and Television, the London Critics Circle and NY Film Critics Circle. It has garnered numerous prestigious awards for Hazanavicius, Dujardin, Bejo, and composer Ludovic Bource.

Also making its pay TV premiere on Netflix is "Undefeated," nominated for a 2012 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. Directed by Dan Lindsay and T.J. Martin, "Undefeated" follows players on a Memphis, TN inner-city high school football team as it attempts to win its first playoff game in the school's history.

A diverse slate of TWC specialty films will appear exclusively on Netflix within one year of their theatrical release, including the gripping French-language World War II drama "Sarah's Key," starring Academy Award-nominated actress Kristin Scott Thomas; the recent French box office record-breaker "The Intouchables;" the romantic drama "W.E.," directed by Madonna and winner of the Golden Globe for Best Original Song/Motion Picture; the taut Shakespearean adaptation "Coriolanus," directed by and starring Ralph Fiennes; and "Bully," a timely documentary about bullying in America's schools.

Sweet!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Troll 2 Rifftrax is really good, that's how I watched it.

I know you said you liked terrible horror movies, but there's a few that are actually decent if you want a change of pace.
Black Death - I loved this, it shows up under horror, I wouldn't really call it that but I guess the subject matter puts it there.
Grace - A slow but atmospheric and fairly disgusting little horror movie from a couple years ago.
The Crazies - Pretty solid viral infection/zombie movie, it's a remake but I never saw the first one.
House of the Devil - Slow paced 80s throwback devil cult movie.

I noticed Children of the Corn is on there, is that worth checking out or does it fall into that forgettable 80s horror category? I never hear much about this movie.

If Thankskilling is still on there, check it out. Its so amazingly bad.

Gravy flavored condoms.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

SKEET SKEET posted:

Agreed. Started watching this with my girlfriend the other day when we were both down sick. We finished the entire first season in one long sitting. I would highly recommend it to just about everyone.

Yep, it's fantastic. Finished it last night. Bummed, though, that there appears to be no way to catch up with the just-completed second season: my cable provider doesn't have a PBS OnDemand option.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

If Thankskilling is still on there, check it out. Its so amazingly bad.

Gravy flavored condoms.

I even made a cocktail and drinking game for it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've been reading this thread and after much consideration, I'm considering finishing out my queue and then switching back to streaming only. I go rid of it when Netflix jack up the prices and it was going to cost me close to $20 a month for Blu-Ray and streaming. My plan was to go back to both once I got a full time job.

However, before I really decide to do this or not I have a question. When I got rid of streaming back in August or whenever the raised it, I still wasn't impressed by the content that was on it, there were a lot of good older movies, a lot of good direct to video movies, TV shows, and also a lot of bad stuff. My main question is has the quality of the streaming improved at all or is it still like it was last last time? I might get rid of the blu-ray all together and do the streaming and one disc, which would be a little over $17 a month instead of the close $20 a month. Has streaming gotten better or is it still decent?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

I've been reading this thread and after much consideration, I'm considering finishing out my queue and then switching back to streaming only. I go rid of it when Netflix jack up the prices and it was going to cost me close to $20 a month for Blu-Ray and streaming. My plan was to go back to both once I got a full time job.

However, before I really decide to do this or not I have a question. When I got rid of streaming back in August or whenever the raised it, I still wasn't impressed by the content that was on it, there were a lot of good older movies, a lot of good direct to video movies, TV shows, and also a lot of bad stuff. My main question is has the quality of the streaming improved at all or is it still like it was last last time? I might get rid of the blu-ray all together and do the streaming and one disc, which would be a little over $17 a month instead of the close $20 a month. Has streaming gotten better or is it still decent?
Your best bet is to stick with the disc + blu ray plan. If you had problems with finding content before, the situation hasn't really improved. This site has a top 50 list of what people are watching, to get an idea of the content: http://instantwatcher.com/

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, if you're looking for specific titles, you're going to be disappointed with streaming, but it's pretty much perfect for "It's Thursday night, nothing's going on, I'm gonna put on a random movie/TV show". Pretty much everyone I know who had it complained that they could never find anything they wanted to watch, though. If you're the kind of person who'll order randomly off the menu, it's perfect.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, if you're looking for specific titles, you're going to be disappointed with streaming, but it's pretty much perfect for "It's Thursday night, nothing's going on, I'm gonna put on a random movie/TV show". Pretty much everyone I know who had it complained that they could never find anything they wanted to watch, though. If you're the kind of person who'll order randomly off the menu, it's perfect.

This is how I do it and I've seen some pretty great stuff. Take an hour or two to go through and rate as many movies as you can and then just trust Netflix's recommendations. You can usually tell within th efirst 20 minutes if you're going to dig the film or not.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm watching Last Train Home because it's going to expire tomorrow. Pretty interesting, check it out before it goes away!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Carnasaur has appeared on instant, and it's quite the film. Roger Corman produced it, I assume, to beat Jurassic Park into theaters and ride the wave of dinosaur popularity that Michael Crichton created.

What really stands out about the film is how terrible the effects are in contrast with those of Jurassic Park, just a year later. The dinosaurs in Carnosaur are floppy rubber, often out of scale with the scenes they're stuck in, and operated really crudely, even by the puppeteering standards of the day.

Also, the final shot of the film is a a burning picture of Alfred E. Neuman, which makes for a nice closing commentary on how you, as the audience, have spent the last 90 minutes of your life. That said, it does remind me of staying up late with high school friends, watching making GBS threads monster movies on Showtime, so there's that.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

For those who enjoyed Downton Abbey, you should also give some consideration to North and South. It's less lavish than Downton, but still a solid period drama, in this case one that deals rather fulsomely with the local, regional, personal and class conflicts occaisioned by the industrial revolution in England (a rather surprising element, to me at least, for this type of film).

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

Carnasaur has appeared on instant, and it's quite the film. Roger Corman produced it, I assume, to beat Jurassic Park into theaters and ride the wave of dinosaur popularity that Michael Crichton created.

Is this the one with a woman giving birth to a dinosaur at one point?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Drewsky posted:

Is this the one with a woman giving birth to a dinosaur at one point?

More than one point, actually. It's a hell of a film.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

weekly font posted:

This is how I do it and I've seen some pretty great stuff. Take an hour or two to go through and rate as many movies as you can and then just trust Netflix's recommendations. You can usually tell within th efirst 20 minutes if you're going to dig the film or not.

It's pretty beneficial to indie filmmakers in this way. The lack of major releases forces people to explore and try things they normally wouldn't, which can't be a bad thing. And there's so many great TV shows on there anyway that it's hard to complain. Although I still mourn the loss of the Criterion goldmine (It's Netflix or Huluplus, not both :().

Also, The Bicycle Thief is still available to stream. Everybody watch it, and then feel miserable, but love it anyway!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

I also love how Downton features the exact same acceptance arc for every person I know who has watched it; starts off wondering why they're watching this soap opera bullshit, shocked gasp at the end of the first episode, and then at some point they find themselves legitimately shocked at the fact that the daughter is wearing pants because THINK OF THE SCANDAL.

Downton kind of reminds me of West Wing in that the main characters are all super nice and want to do the right thing almost all of the time.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

More than one point, actually. It's a hell of a film.

I'm going to have to watch it again. I was a huge fan of Jurassic Park as a kid and I remember my parents renting this for me and my brother because they thought it would be similar, had dinosaurs etc.

It wasn't at all similar.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just watched The Weather Man and drat, I was impressed. Funny, bleak, made you think, and I really cared about Nicholas Cage's character, Dave Spritz. I gave it 5 stars, just because I want to see more films with the balls that The Weather Man did.

I was just wondering, to anyone who's seen, what messages did you take away from it? IMDB/Wiki, can't remember which, seemed to think that Caine's 'chucking things' line was in reference to shedding the rubbish in our lives, but I took it as everyone needing something to take their misery out on. That thing, often, being Dave Spritz.

It certainly seemed like it was a commentary on empty consumerist lifestyles, but I thought that it seemed more about people finding and coping with their lot in life and who they are, and perhaps even accepting it, even if it does mean that a lot of things didn't go to plan. It certainly seemed more to speak to the middle classes than the working classes though; I imagine a person living on the bread line would feel a bit cheated at how miserable Dave was despite having a great deal of money. Am I reading too much into it? I don't know, I'm not usually one for analysing films in much depth, this one just left me with the feeling there was even more too it.

Oh, and I also found it very, very funny in places too, and Cage's narration was good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

maxnmona posted:

My girlfriend and I ended up watching the entire first season of Party Down yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've seen it mentioned to skip the 2nd season. I don't know who said it but I'm loving it. The fist episode of the 2nd season had me on the floor.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Just watched The Weather Man and drat, I was impressed. Funny, bleak, made you think, and I really cared about Nicholas Cage's character, Dave Spritz. I gave it 5 stars, just because I want to see more films with the balls that The Weather Man did.

I was just wondering, to anyone who's seen, what messages did you take away from it? IMDB/Wiki, can't remember which, seemed to think that Caine's 'chucking things' line was in reference to shedding the rubbish in our lives, but I took it as everyone needing something to take their misery out on. That thing, often, being Dave Spritz.

It certainly seemed like it was a commentary on empty consumerist lifestyles, but I thought that it seemed more about people finding and coping with their lot in life and who they are, and perhaps even accepting it, even if it does mean that a lot of things didn't go to plan. It certainly seemed more to speak to the middle classes than the working classes though; I imagine a person living on the bread line would feel a bit cheated at how miserable Dave was despite having a great deal of money. Am I reading too much into it? I don't know, I'm not usually one for analysing films in much depth, this one just left me with the feeling there was even more too it.

Oh, and I also found it very, very funny in places too, and Cage's narration was good.

I absolutely loved it as well. One of the details I enjoyed picking up on was how his job as a weatherman is basically a reflection on chaos; it's unpredictable, Dave feels like he can't get a grasp on it, that anybody could do his job. As he says "It's just wind". Meanwhile his growing fascination with archery is because it stands on the opposite scale; rather than being about guesswork and uncertainty, he loves archery because it's about focus and precision, and uses that focus and precision to appreciate the chaos.

It sounds awful pretentious when I type it out, but I liked how it approached those themes without ever making it feel too obvious; much like how the thawing of winter works as a reflection of the end of Dave's winter of the soul, as it were.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Crappy Jack posted:

I absolutely loved it as well. One of the details I enjoyed picking up on was how his job as a weatherman is basically a reflection on chaos; it's unpredictable, Dave feels like he can't get a grasp on it, that anybody could do his job. As he says "It's just wind". Meanwhile his growing fascination with archery is because it stands on the opposite scale; rather than being about guesswork and uncertainty, he loves archery because it's about focus and precision, and uses that focus and precision to appreciate the chaos.

It sounds awful pretentious when I type it out, but I liked how it approached those themes without ever making it feel too obvious; much like how the thawing of winter works as a reflection of the end of Dave's winter of the soul, as it were.

The biggest thing I took from that film was the subliminal camel toe. Then again, I haven't watched it since it came out.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It took all my strength to avoid mentioning it, so thank you for taking care of that for me.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Also, The Bicycle Thief is still available to stream. Everybody watch it, and then feel miserable, but love it anyway!

Horribly depressing, but yes, an amazing film that everyone should watch.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Gaunab posted:

I know everyone has probably seen it but I finally got around to watching X-Files and while the first season was a bit hard to get through, it really picks up during the second season. I love how the comedy themed episodes are sort of a precursor to the one's in shows like Supernatural. I'm watching the one with Luke Wilson right now and I'm loving it.
This is what I'm currently doing too, I never got a chance to watch the X-Files other than scattered episodes here and there, so this is great seeing it all from the beginning. I'm still just in Season 1, but I've been skipping some of the "monster of the week" episodes I've seen already. Wikipedia has really detailed plot summaries that will help you skip some of the mediocre ones too.

I just found out that Netflix keeps track of everything you've seen on Instant, so I combed back through some of the stuff I watched a year or two ago when I first got Netflix. These are a couple that are still available, sorry if any have been covered already, I Ctrl+F'ed through the last several pages and didn't see them mentioned.

Just Another Love Story - Don't let the amnesia plot scare you away, this is a really good Danish crime/noir/love story.

Antibodies -Ignore the awful cover art on the site. This is a German movie that has a lot more in common with Silence of the Lambs than... whatever it is the cover is trying to sell.

World's Greatest Dad - This is a really overlooked dark comedy from Bobcat Goldthwait, it has some of the most horribly funny scenes I've seen in a recent comedy. Robin Williams is refreshingly non-Robin Williams-esque, and brings just the right amount of seriousness to sell his role.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Just a heads-up reminder that the deal with Starz expires next week. You have just over a week to watch any of the Starz Play stuff. There's also the usual batch of films expiring on March 1st. I wish I could edit my queue from the game systems since this information shows up on them earlier.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

World's Greatest Dad - This is a really overlooked dark comedy from Bobcat Goldthwait, it has some of the most horribly funny scenes I've seen in a recent comedy. Robin Williams is refreshingly non-Robin Williams-esque, and brings just the right amount of seriousness to sell his role.

I love World's Greatest Dad. It's such a terrific dark comedy.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Discount Viscount posted:

Just a heads-up reminder that the deal with Starz expires next week. You have just over a week to watch any of the Starz Play stuff. There's also the usual batch of films expiring on March 1st. I wish I could edit my queue from the game systems since this information shows up on them earlier.

If you haven't, everyone should watch the first season of Spartacus. The first two episodes, admittedly, are amazingly bad. You'll be going "Wow, sure am glad I listened to that loser Leper Residue about what to watch."

The third episode is average, and ok. Then it starts getting really good in the fourth episode. From there, it's just better and better. I would say I rank the show up there with Deadwood and Carnivale, but for different reasons. Lots of violence, nudity (men and women) and spectacular dialogue. There's a certain subtle level of cheesiness that runs through the show (which it's aware of), and it positively saves it and excels it to the next level.

The first blu ray I bought I love it so much. And Andy Whitfield is just so dreamy. There was a man who loved his craft.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Zero Karizma posted:

I love World's Greatest Dad. It's such a terrific dark comedy.

It was really good. For people interested, don't read the synopsis. It gives everything away.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love, LOVE World's Greatest Dads' box art. So hilariously misleading.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Hewlett posted:

The biggest thing I took from that film was the subliminal camel toe. Then again, I haven't watched it since it came out.

Oh god that had me in fits of laughter. I agree with you there Jack, how it was never made obvious, and it never went 'THIS IS SYMBOLISM' like a lot of films would. The whole film felt pretty much realistic, there was nothing really far fetched in there. Which is saying something when it's Nic Cage I suppose. Fantastic.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Christoff posted:

I've seen it mentioned to skip the 2nd season. I don't know who said it but I'm loving it. The fist episode of the 2nd season had me on the floor.

I don't know why anyone would say that. The second season is great. I can't imagine someone seeing the Guttenburg episode and telling everyone not to watch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How much is Downton Abbey about British people of the past being specifically British? As in, how much Britishness is really in it?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Several good movies: Orson Welles on Netflix

You can't claim there's "no good movies on Netflix" when you have The Trial, The Third Man, and The Stranger. I've heard Catch-22 is a good adaptation but I haven't seen it.

Also, it's odd that The Stranger is part of the Starz package, but they have another, non-Starz version up as well.

And I'd recommend In the Mood For Love before Starz goes away.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

How much is Downton Abbey about British people of the past being specifically British? As in, how much Britishness is really in it?

It takes place in America, actually; the wife is a born American, pretty much everyone else isn't. It's not so much about British people being British so much as being about that period of time where a bunch of British people were becoming American.

Except Maggie Smith and the mom from Shaun of the Dead, who are basically two awesome bickering British ladies who hate the poo poo out of each other in total British fashion.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

It takes place in America, actually;

uh, what?

wikipedia posted:

The series is set on the fictional estate of Downton Abbey in the North Riding of Yorkshire

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

You know what, yeah, I got thrown off because I was thinking of, you know, that boat thing that happens in the first episode.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Since we're having Downtonchat, I'll put in my two cents. Its a fun show, but it seems like more of a novelty than anything else. I have a friend on facebook that absolutely HATES the second season (which I haven't seen) and posted a hilarious alternate history of the twentieth century based off of what happens in season 2. I'll try and post the whole rant later as I think it really sums up some of the show's most glaring problems.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I don't know why anyone would say that. The second season is great. I can't imagine someone seeing the Guttenburg episode and telling everyone not to watch.
I was just going to post this. I thought the 2nd season was better than the first.

The final line, I loving hate Steve Guttenberg after all that happened during the episode was just icing on the cake. I laughed really, really hard at that.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

n0n0 posted:

Downton Abbey is so good that, frankly, I'm surprised that it doesn't have its own thread.

I was so hesitant to start it, but my wife made me. The first season is great, and most of the second is pretty good. But some of the writing really starts to get... I dont know, day time soap-opera-ey. I still have to finish the second season though, so maybe it pulls itself back together a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Christoff posted:

Who has been lying to you? The 2nd season is fantastic, even if Jane Lynch isn't around.

• Locked thread