Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I must clarify that I did have matching socks all the time but sometimes it was just fun not to wear them. Shells are shells, and I've had plenty of nice jerseys too. I think it's just the matching gloves and helmets just rubs me wrong, and I don't know why. When I played a year of Junior it was only time I had to buy specific equipment, and it was just a white helmet. Never before for travel or even high school.

edit: also the one year I played Junior it was for a brand new team, and the owner originally made us buy our jerseys, only to take them back at the end of the season for the new players next year. He ended up losing the team a year later because he got in legal trouble. Fat motherfucker. I never got free equipment, ever :manning:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

shyguy posted:

I've been watching random vids on youtube of hockey, and I've been watching a lot of vids of "AAA Tier-1" :rolleyes: Pee-Wee through Midget, and I'm wondering where the hell this trend of pro-level matching equipment came from. I never had purple helmets or maroon gloves when I played travel. I didn't wear matching socks half the time.

Maybe I'm just a cranky old man, but it's bothersome because I remember how ridiculuously expensive to play in some of the leagues I did growing up but, but I can't even imagine what it's like in these with almost pro-level travel schedules to go with it. Forget talent kid, if your parents are broke, or even doing somewhat well you're most likely hosed. It's frustrating. A team of 10 year olds shouldn't be outfitted like they're the Flyers.

Maybe if they played the game better too, but I haven't came across anything all that impressive yet.

Stuff is cheaper now old man.. And teams get sponsors and have rich parents:cool:

I dont know how they do it in other parts of the country but out here Tier is only AAA and AA is now part of Travel with A and B .

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

shyguy posted:

I must clarify that I did have matching socks all the time but sometimes it was just fun not to wear them. Shells are shells, and I've had plenty of nice jerseys too. I think it's just the matching gloves and helmets just rubs me wrong, and I don't know why. When I played a year of Junior it was only time I had to buy specific equipment, and it was just a white helmet. Never before for travel or even high school.

edit: also the one year I played Junior it was for a brand new team, and the owner originally made us buy our jerseys, only to take them back at the end of the season for the new players next year. He ended up losing the team a year later because he got in legal trouble. Fat motherfucker. I never got free equipment, ever :manning:

Major Junior or A/B?

I heard that players have to pay a bit in junior a/b

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

poser posted:

Stuff is cheaper now old man..

I...

This is a joke, right?

The letter system for Juniors in the US is all screwy. Junior B is typically pay-to-play. Junior A (i.e., USHL/NAHL, isn't, but they have to be careful about how they do it to avoid running afoul of the NCAA's professionalism regulations.

Then you have leagues like the EJHL, which is technically Junior C (or was, maybe it's changed), but competes at a Junior A level, and is pay-to-play, and leagues like the IJHL, which calls itself "Junior A," but isn't USA Hockey affiliated, competes at a Junior B level, and is still pay-to-play.

[Edit:] apparently USAH is trying to rationalize the system these days: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_ice_hockey#United_States

The proliferation of fly-by-night independent leagues doesn't help, matters, though.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 20, 2012

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe it is different nowadays but my parents didn't ever have to pay for much more than gas and hotel rooms about half the time. From the time I was about 10 all of our ice, equipment, and a good portion of our travel costs were paid by sponsors.

edit - this was a good thing because my parents were pretty poor after I was 10. Also as I recall soccer was a lot more expensive for me ironically enough.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

poser posted:

Major Junior or A/B?

I heard that players have to pay a bit in junior a/b
Junior C :negative: even though we did play a partial B schedule and a few local college club teams.

It was pay-to-play. It was $2500 to play, and that was mostly just for rink fees and whatnot, and I think a couple of bus trips (we had to pay hotel fees, etc). It was actually the last time I played on an actual competitive team. I played one season and had a year of eligibility left and a roster spot if I wanted it, but it just wasn't worth the money again.

poser posted:

This is nauseating.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2012

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Green Submarine posted:

I...

This is a joke, right?

Those travel teams get sponsors and/or discounted gear on the "visible" gear. I had a friend that played club hockey at Cal State Northridge and they had a discount deal with Easton. I have other friends that play travel roller and they get stuff pretty cheap.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

poser posted:

Those travel teams get sponsors and/or discounted gear on the "visible" gear. I had a friend that played club hockey at Cal State Northridge and they had a discount deal with Easton. I have other friends that play travel roller and they get stuff pretty cheap.

Oh, sure, you get that some places. But gear—especially high end gear—is definitely much, much more expensive in constant dollars than it was 10, 15, or 20 years ago.

Remember in the Might Ducks (1992), when they outfit the entire team head to toe for ~$10,000? That's about $16,000 in 2012 dollars. For that you might be able to get an entire team top end skates and nothing else.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 20, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If you remember correctly too from the first movie, they all got two sets of equipment; the helmets and gloves they wore once in that practice, and then their Ducks gear. Goldberg got two new sets of pads as well.

I got the Itech clear-cage combo that the Hawks wore after watching the movie :smug:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Vital Signs posted:

So, playing goalie about killed me. I am not use to the stress of playing this position. By the start of the 3rd, my back was pretty sore. I was also using too short of a stick, which lead to some pretty awful five-hole goals. I still managed to get my team their first win of the season, but I good lord I was sore the next day. Maybe it just takes getting use to, but I don't know how goalies do it.

It takes a while, but your body gets used to it. Doing HIIT (cardio) and a lot of dyanmic stretching that focuses on your hips and groin help. Using a foam roller can also help ease the tightness that you'll likely feel in your hips. Also, if you do weight training, than exercises like squats and deadlifts can help you build lower body strength, which helps a lot.

As for the stick length, you typically want to use a stick with a shorter paddle, since it will be the right height for when you are in your butterfly. If your stick seemed too short, than more likely than not, you were standing too upright in your stance, so try getting your butt lower in more of a squating position and you'll find that the stick length isn't as a big of an issue and you'll be in a better position to make explosive movements.

Make sure to stop by the goalie thread, we can help you out a lot more over there.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Aniki posted:

It takes a while, but your body gets used to it. Doing HIIT (cardio) and a lot of dyanmic stretching that focuses on your hips and groin help. Using a foam roller can also help ease the tightness that you'll likely feel in your hips. Also, if you do weight training, than exercises like squats and deadlifts can help you build lower body strength, which helps a lot.

As for the stick length, you typically want to use a stick with a shorter paddle, since it will be the right height for when you are in your butterfly. If your stick seemed too short, than more likely than not, you were standing too upright in your stance, so try getting your butt lower in more of a squating position and you'll find that the stick length isn't as a big of an issue and you'll be in a better position to make explosive movements.

Make sure to stop by the goalie thread, we can help you out a lot more over there.
It has more to do with I'm like 5 inches taller than the guy who's stuff I'm borrowing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My mom's idea of getting me hockey gear was snowpants and a pair of secondhand figure skates. :smith:

She booted me out the door and told me to go to the outsoor rink at school and borrow sticks from friends.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
The best part about the Mighty Ducks movies is that the skate doubles were not always the same. The same "player" would shoot right and left and have different gear.

poser fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 20, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

shyguy posted:

I got the Itech clear-cage combo that the Hawks wore after watching the movie :smug:
Those were the rage back in the day. I had one, too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Re: workout routines, I do a standard weight-lifting strength routine. 3 days of weights and I leave the cardio for hockey because cardio is boring. Here's what my week looks like:

Tuesday - Chest and arms
1 mile treadmill warmup
Bench press
Incline bench
Decline bench
Overhead press
Cable chest flys
Bicep curls
Tricep cable pull downs
Abs

Wednesday - Legs
1 mile treadmill warmup
Squats
Leg press
Calf raises
Leg extension machine
Leg curl machine
Abs

Thursday - Back
1 mile treadmill warmup
Deadlifts
Bent over rows
Wide grip pullups
Chin ups
Lat pulldown
Weighted Glute Ham Raises
Weighted tricep dips
Seated rows
Abs

I've been bulking since November and have put on 18lbs so far. My lifts have gone through the roof and I feel much better on the ice. It's probably more an improvement in technique but I feel that my skating and slapshots have gotten much better. I'm not getting knocked off the puck or pushed around the crease as much either.

In summary, deadlifts and squats will make you a beer league superstar.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I fist pump till I pass out.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

cenzo posted:

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. The series of events as they happened were the delayed call was initiated (ref hand went up) goalie was charging for the bench but the skater hopped the bench and played the puck before the goalie was on the bench. He actually received a drop pass during as they were coming through the neutral zone. Not sure if that's enough context.

Yeah, that was the right call then. It'd be illegal substitution if he hadn't played the puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My limitation isn't strength as much as it is endurance or lung capacity. I mean, more strength is always good and I'm not a particularly built guy, but my real limitation is long shifts (or the lack thereof).

I see guys running five minute shifts and get all sad when I'm panting at two minutes. :smith:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

My limitation isn't strength as much as it is endurance or lung capacity. I mean, more strength is always good and I'm not a particularly built guy, but my real limitation is long shifts (or the lack thereof).

I see guys running five minute shifts and get all sad when I'm panting at two minutes. :smith:

You'd be better off conditioning yourself so that you can go hard for 90 second to 2 minute shifts than staying out there for 5-minutes. Staying out there for 5-minutes generally hurts your team more than it helps it. I know you weren't saying that you wanted to stay out there for 5-minutes, but people taking long shifts is the number one thing that players I know complain about.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Minister Robathan posted:

it was likely actually illegal substitution (where the penalty is just a stoppage), but that requires a bit more context.
Wait, what? I would have argued to the death that there is no such thing apart from too many men. I still don't understand the difference despite googling and reading the rulebook. Example?

edit: I understand when play is dead. I hadn't heard of it before, but I also understand if the goalie goes back onto the ice after being pulled. Is there another situation where this is called during play?

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 21, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Dudes on my team floating around for 3 minutes not backchecking and then complaining about not getting enough ice time :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aniki posted:

You'd be better off conditioning yourself so that you can go hard for 90 second to 2 minute shifts than staying out there for 5-minutes.
I'm actually pretty close to that now.. I can go all out for about a minute so with typical hockey stops and starts, 90 seconds is about the limit.. on my first shift.

After an hour of that, I step onto the ice tired. :v:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

ManicJason posted:

Wait, what? I would have argued to the death that there is no such thing apart from too many men. I still don't understand the difference despite googling and reading the rulebook. Example?

edit: I understand when play is dead. I hadn't heard of it before, but I also understand if the goalie goes back onto the ice after being pulled. Is there another situation where this is called during play?

Premature substitution during a delayed penalty or when the goaltender is being pulled at the end of the game results in a stoppage of play as stated, regardless of whether the player entering the ice early plays the puck or not. In a delayed penalty substitution this part doesn't matter, but at end of game the play is stopped whenever the team making the substitution has possession and control of the puck and the faceoff takes place either where play was stopped (if in the penalized team's defending end) or at center ice.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Well then I'm happy the ref made the wrong call :colbert: as it resulted in playing full strength instead of on the PK.

Guys were chippy as hell and had a bunch of other penalties that game too.

So there.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Topoisomerase posted:

Premature substitution during a delayed penalty or when the goaltender is being pulled at the end of the game results in a stoppage of play as stated, regardless of whether the player entering the ice early plays the puck or not. In a delayed penalty substitution this part doesn't matter, but at end of game the play is stopped whenever the team making the substitution has possession and control of the puck and the faceoff takes place either where play was stopped (if in the penalized team's defending end) or at center ice.

Yup, our team got dinged for this a while back. The guy jumping on the ice didn't realize that the goalie had to be fully on the bench before even touching the ice. It's not a normal line change there, buddy. :)

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Something like this happened to me in my roller league. We had a guy in our penalty box who was just going to go on the bench. The boxes are right next to the benches so as he came out I jumped over. Apparently he still had a skate on the rink and we got called for to many men.

gce
Oct 11, 2004
played my first game with a one piece last night and loved it. i was using a sherwood 5030 before it that was stiff as hell (i'm guessing from cutting 3" off the butt).

i ended up buying an 85flex warrior ak and really appreciate the added whip. i even scored a goal with a little snapper from one of the dots. my previous stick just didn't have enough flex for me to take a proper snapshot.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Surfing Turtle posted:

Something like this happened to me in my roller league. We had a guy in our penalty box who was just going to go on the bench. The boxes are right next to the benches so as he came out I jumped over. Apparently he still had a skate on the rink and we got called for to many men.

Wow, that seems a little harsh, our refs for the most part ignore the guy coming out of the penalty box when he's going to the bench. However, we did get hit with a bench minor for not closing the penalty box door once. That was a hoot as our resident hot head went off on the refs and earned a double minor.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We're nice to our scorekeeper, so she'll close the penalty box door for us if we're on the right side.

e: Oh yeah, I got the beer-league equivalent of a Gordie Howe hat trick on Sunday. Goal, assist, roughing penalty for hitting someone. Dropped my stick and one of their d-men swatted it away to the corner with his stick. Dick. I thought that was supposed to be an unsportsmanlike or something for touching a stick on the ice :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 21, 2012

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Thufir posted:

Dudes on my team floating around for 3 minutes not backchecking and then complaining about not getting enough ice time :smith:

I was playing right wing last game with two others. I pride myself on 1 minute shifts to be able to kick rear end hard and give the other players a fair shake. Sitting for five minutes until I get to skate again, though, is a bit of a bummer.

In between periods it is one of the 2:30 shifters that are always talking about skating harder. Said right before a 3 minute shift where they ski around turns and fore checking falls off after the 40 second mark. I'm glad that I don't give a poo poo about this stuff for the most part.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

I coach in a learn to play program for little kids in Philly. The other day we had a scrimmage and I was standing in one of the goals to play pretend goalie. One of the kids playing D skated back and said "come on Bobrovsky!"

After I let in two goals he came back and said "come on Bryzgalov!"

Six-year-old Flyers fans: Smarter than you might think.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Dropped my stick and one of their d-men swatted it away to the corner with his stick. Dick. I thought that was supposed to be an unsportsmanlike or something for touching a stick on the ice :colbert:

I believe that's interference.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I got one of those EZ Goal folding goals ( http://www.hockeyshot.com/EZ_Goal_Pro_Steel_FOLDING_Goal_p/goal-0012in-backstop.htm ) and set it up today and took a few shots. I learned that I am awesome at hitting the center pipe. If I can just get goalies to step aside while I shoot I'll be set.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Do you ever miss the entire target? Do pucks deflect off the post or crossbar and go off in crazy directions? I was thinking about getting one but I'm in a townhouse complex and I really couldn't have pucks missing the thing entirely.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bigmike posted:

Do you ever miss the entire target? Do pucks deflect off the post or crossbar and go off in crazy directions? I was thinking about getting one but I'm in a townhouse complex and I really couldn't have pucks missing the thing entirely.

just stand really close to it until you almost can't miss, and you should be fine. just be careful not to string the net too tight or it will deflect pucks back out of the cage a decent distance.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

bigmike posted:

you can also get the back stop attachment thing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

bigmike posted:

I got the one with the backstop setup which adds another two feet or so of netting to either side of the net, which makes it pretty hard to miss completely. I just got it yesterday so I've only taken like 100 shots at it but I did have some go off the posts and ricochet sideways but you can angle the side netting in a little bit and I think that would do a pretty good job of keeping pucks contained.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I'm a stick whore and bought a 77 flex APX shaft. I've been using 87's and they've been nice, but after using one at stick and puck, I was grinning like an idiot over the 77. I feel like I can move the puck with better precision. I'm still trying to figure out the kick point, but I'm happy over this.

Sticks are expensive :smith:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

shyguy posted:

So I'm a stick whore and bought a 77 flex APX shaft. I've been using 87's and they've been nice, but after using one at stick and puck, I was grinning like an idiot over the 77. I feel like I can move the puck with better precision. I'm still trying to figure out the kick point, but I'm happy over this.

Sticks are expensive :smith:

I felt the same way when I switched to my 75flex EQ50s. Low flex sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

e: Oh yeah, I got the beer-league equivalent of a Gordie Howe hat trick on Sunday. Goal, assist, roughing penalty for hitting someone. Dropped my stick and one of their d-men swatted it away to the corner with his stick. Dick. I thought that was supposed to be an unsportsmanlike or something for touching a stick on the ice :colbert:

Meh, there's a lot of ways in which that particular play could be interpreted - if it was in the player's way and he batted it, most refs probably won't call Interference (which is the proper call for preventing a player from retrieving dropped equpiment). It's definitely a judgment call.

Keep your stick in your hands and it won't be a problem, superstar. :colbert:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 22, 2012