Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

netally posted:

Everything is a loving panel show nowadays. The other day I saw some lovely programme called The Mad Bad Ad show. It was full of terrible comedians watching the Smash adverts from the 1970s and making smartarse comments. I can just imagine the pitch for that one "People LOVE old adverts, and they love panel shows! Mark Dolan is very much available, genius!"

Somewhere Stuart Maconie must be livid. Not even his party 7 (you couldn't get them open!) or Yazoo lps can calm him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Junkenstein posted:

He should be the permanent HIGNFY host, I reckon.

He's guest hosted it the most, hasn't he? Great presenter, he's got effortless charm and charisma.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mickolution posted:

He's guest hosted it the most, hasn't he? Great presenter, he's got effortless charm and charisma.

Pretty sure he's only done it once or twice, and that Alex Armstrong has done it the most, and I think he would be a fine permanent host.

Edit: Armstrong has done it the most at 19, Jack Dee is second with 10. Thought Martin Clunes had done it more than him.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, it was Armstong I was talking about.

I really like the guest host set-up, though. It gives them room to work new jokes in every week.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, it was Armstong I was talking about.

I really like the guest host set-up, though. It gives them room to work new jokes in every week.

Sorry, got confused crossing pages and thought you meant John Sergeant.

And I assume the Alex Armstrong panel show mentioned was Big Ask, which is only as competitive as QI or YHBW, with the quiz element effectively tacked on with no-one pretending otherwise. I think it's fine, though some goons may take issue with some of the guests. I would say the booking goes for one "QI" level guest to two "Mock the Week" level guests.

Just putting this out there since I mentioned Martin Clunes, does anyone else quite like the new Churchill ads, now that the dog seems to be a bit brain-damaged?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 20, 2012

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Brian Blessed is the only correct HIGNFY permanent host choice :colbert:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

The Supreme Court posted:

Brian Blessed is the only correct HIGNFY permanent host choice :colbert:

There is no show that wouldn't be improved with Brian Blessed as the permanent host.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Alexander Armstrong is a cool dude, I know this because he came to my place of work once and wandered about with his family and seemed nice.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He went to the same school as me (albeit a decade in advance)

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
No-one reads the deals forum so maybe people here might be interested. Groupon has 6 months of LOVEFiLM streaming membership for £9.99 for 24 hours:

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal

What's their selection like, does anyone know? For a tenner, I doubt it really matters, I'm gonna sign up.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Hoops posted:

No-one reads the deals forum so maybe people here might be interested. Groupon has 6 months of LOVEFiLM streaming membership for £9.99 for 24 hours:

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal

What's their selection like, does anyone know? For a tenner, I doubt it really matters, I'm gonna sign up.

I think it's pretty decent for films but they don't have many decent television shows available for streaming.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Z-Magic posted:

I think it's pretty decent for films but they don't have many decent television shows available for streaming.

Pretty much, It has a good selection of movies (personal fav of the moment: Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence) but the documentaries section is equally dire.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
LoveFilm were real fuckers to cancel. If you decide not to pay for a monthly subscription at the end of the 6 months, then you'll have to call up. Took ages on the phone and they were awful. At least Netflix can be cancelled online in seconds.

I enjoyed The Tube last night. Despite getting the Northern Line everyday, it was cool to see behind the scenes. Fairly silly stuff. Enjoyed seeing the drunk people waking up at Morden. I always worry when I see asleep people on the tube late at night and wonder if they'll make it home. :ohdear:

Any opinions on the Bleak Shop of Horrors? I like some of the people in it, but it sounds like fairly generic BBC comedy and not sure if I can be arsed to watch it.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

netally posted:

LoveFilm were real fuckers to cancel.

Any opinions on the Bleak Shop of Horrors? I like some of the people in it, but it sounds like fairly generic BBC comedy and not sure if I can be arsed to watch it.

I had that experience with LoveFilm as well. I'll never use them again.

And the 15 minutes of Bleak Shop of Stuff or whatever that I saw were terrible.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It was terrible at Christmas, what do you expect?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I managed to cancel my Lovefilm online really painlessly. I just used this: https://www.lovefilm.com/account/cancel.html

Maybe it depends on what kind of package you have

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I took advantage of a Lovefilm Amazon voucher offer a while back, worked fine for me but my friend who also tried it had to ring up and argue with them about their refusal to send him a voucher despite having met all of their conditions.

They tried to tell him the offer didn't exist and they never offered the voucher.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Z-Magic posted:

There is no show that wouldn't be improved with Brian Blessed as the permanent host.

Only Conn-?

Just a minu-?

Masterch-?

Christ, I think you're right.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Hey, you know how the States have a trend of taking current UK sitcoms and trying to make them their own? Well... now this is happening...

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

incredible bear posted:

Hey, you know how the States have a trend of taking current UK sitcoms and trying to make them their own? Well... now this is happening...

Oh gently caress no.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Read about that last week.

Doubt it'll make it past the pilot, tbh. If so, won't last a full series.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Meanwhile, British domination of US dramas continues unabated. Homeland was brilliant.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Meanwhile, British domination of US dramas continues unabated. Homeland was brilliant.

Yeah, it's weird how many Brits they have in their shows playing Americans.

Luck has at least two and one Irish. Boardwalk has a couple (one with the lest convincing Irish accent you're likely to see this side of The Devil's Own). Obviously Game of Thrones, but they're not playing Americans.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Read about that last week.

Doubt it'll make it past the pilot, tbh. If so, won't last a full series.

They never do. Yet they keep on trying. The Office was the only one that sort of made it, and it shed its skin fast to stay alive.

Was the US Spaced the most dire one?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much a tie between that and Red Dwarf.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've never seen it, but US Coupling was cancelled after 4 episodes.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Office was the only one that sort of made it, and it shed its skin fast to stay alive.

Of the recent ones, yeah. Shame it's gone to poo poo now, though. Was great from series 2-5. Hopefully Veep bucks the trend. Some say the US Shameless is ok, I've never seen either, though.

I think I saw somewhere that the IT Crowd remake was back on.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
There was a US Teachers, it had nothing to do with the original, but still insisted on paying credit. I believe is had the blonde from Coupling, actually. Also I don't think it made two episodes aired.

Great thing about Only Fools is that they'll have to change the era, location and slang so much that the title will also have to change, so why did they even pay the rights to the original? No-one would notice.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

Flatscan posted:

Pretty much a tie between that and Red Dwarf.

A new challenger has emerged: "Dad's Army".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

A new challenger has emerged: "Dad's Army".

What the fuuuuuck.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That is loving awful.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

incredible bear posted:

Great thing about Only Fools is that they'll have to change the era, location and slang so much that the title will also have to change, so why did they even pay the rights to the original? No-one would notice.
That's what I was thinking too. Take it out of South London, don't have the central characters be cockney market traders and then you just have a show about two brothers with crazy get-rich-quick schemes. That's a very broad premise (I bet there's already been a few sitcoms about that), so why make it have anything to do with Only Fools and Horses? I imagine that title means dick-all to anyone who isn't British, so I don't see the gain.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Hoops posted:

That's what I was thinking too. Take it out of South London, don't have the central characters be cockney market traders and then you just have a show about two brothers with crazy get-rich-quick schemes. That's a very broad premise (I bet there's already been a few sitcoms about that), so why make it have anything to do with Only Fools and Horses? I imagine that title means dick-all to anyone who isn't British, so I don't see the gain.

I don't know what the title means so I looked it up.

wikipedia posted:

That name was based on a genuine, though very obscure saying, "why do only fools and horses work? (for a living)", which had its origins in 19th century American vaudeville.

So there :colbert:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hoops posted:

It's because networks are dying, basically. A lot of the best shows in US Network history, or television period, have been US adaptations of UK shows. Some of them were better than the originals, even. The networks' ratings have been dropping for years now, and that's made them a lot more risk averse, especially when it comes to pilots, which are usually a big gamble anyway. Being able to say "It worked in the UK" reassures execs, even when no one involved is interested in doing an honest to god adaptation.

It's one of those things like everything good being on Thursdays that only makes sense in terms of the American market.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

DemonNick posted:

It's because networks are dying, basically. A lot of the best shows in US Network history, or television period, have been US adaptations of UK shows. Some of them were better than the originals, even. The networks' ratings have been dropping for years now, and that's made them a lot more risk averse, especially when it comes to pilots, which are usually a big gamble anyway. Being able to say "It worked in the UK" reassures execs, even when no one involved is interested in doing an honest to god adaptation.

It's one of those things like everything good being on Thursdays that only makes sense in terms of the American market.

I'm not buying this. For the last year I've been all about American-produced shows. Fringe, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Homeland. All fine US shows that wipe the floor with any British shows in the same genres.

American TV may be focused on the big bux, but they're still willing to take risks on new ideas even if they're a bit too trigger-happy in killing them off before their time. But they still take the risk. Compare that to the BBC's output in recent years. Instead of embracing the future format of TV they're trying to dumb down enough to compete with ITV for the decreasing percentage who still rely on watching soap operas and reality shows broadcast at fixed times.

The pay-to-view American networks are producing some drat good stuff right now, because they know they're fighting an uphill battle against the internet, a battle that requires a major rethink about their target audience and who would care enough to pay for their content.

While the American networks are taking the risk on new styles of TV and attempting to keep the attention of an internet-savvy generation, British TV is stagnating. The BBC still has a few shows that can garner the attention of a global audience. ITV/C4 have just given up completely and have resorted to advertising/phone-in revenue from people who can't get online.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

incredible bear posted:

I posted a link about that in this thread 3 weeks ago!! Isn't it being made by the same people who made Scrubs?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MisterLizard posted:

I'm not buying this. For the last year I've been all about American-produced shows. Fringe, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Homeland. All fine US shows that wipe the floor with any British shows in the same genres.

Only one of those is a network show, though.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
Wasn't their a US version of Fawlty Towers at one point or was I having some sort of nightmare?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

the_cow_fan posted:

Wasn't their a US version of Fawlty Towers at one point or was I having some sort of nightmare?

I think it had the guy out of Night Court in it.

This is driving me mad, does anyone know who voices Coleman's "John Bull" in their new adverts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

the_cow_fan posted:

I seem to remember that there was more than one American remake of Fawlty Towers, with at least one of them not having a Basil character.