Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
My favorite thing about these updates is how they appeared so soon after our discussion about how boring and plain Jane is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

DaveKap posted:

I cannot stop watching the various pictures of Jane spazzing out like a thing that spazzes out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

My favorite thing about these updates is how they appeared so soon after our discussion about how boring and plain Jane is.

She has redeemed herself amazingly well by crashing and burning spectacularly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, this update helps explain Jack's unerring proficiency when it comes to stabbing heroes, at least.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Today just isn't Jane's day.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
We're not going to get another update tonight are we?

:(

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Starmaker posted:

We're not going to get another update tonight are we?

:(

We uh...just got one a few minutes ago though.

Edit: Unless you're talking about leaving on a cliffhanger for the night, which is of course possible.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Black Mage Knight posted:

Today just isn't Jane's day.

To be fair, John didn't fare much better. Not only did his version of Dad die but he also bit it on three separate occasions, all apparently within a span of 24 hours--on his birthday, no less.

Edit: Aw nuts, I totally missed the askbox being open :sigh: Was going to ask about the remaining 36 (35, if we're counting UU) troll signs. I mean they probably won't be relevant ever, but still. I'm a sucker for the little things. This includes explanations for the various classes and aspects.

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 22, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jane Crocker: Actually told the boy she likes to go for a gay relationship with Dirk.

I want Homestuck to stay relationship shenanigans forever.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Hussie just opened his askbox for 30 seconds with five minutes warning, then closed it.

300 people got something in, which is less than I expected.

vv No joke, I keep a file handy on my computer called hussiequestions.txt

Walliard fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 22, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Walliard posted:

Hussie just opened his askbox for 30 seconds with five minutes warning, then closed it.

300 people got something in, which is less than I expected.

He was wondering how people did it in merely 30 seconds. How I did it is type my question in notepad then copy paste it :ssh:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dickeye posted:

Jane Crocker: Actually told the boy she likes to go for a gay relationship with Dirk.

I want Homestuck to stay relationship shenanigans forever.

:allears:

No but seriously this is a terrible idea and I heartily support it.

I want to see Roxy's reaction to this mess, though it'll probably be completely illegible.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

quote:

GG: Become boyfriends and such.
GG: Have some babies!!!
GT: Whoa now!
GT: Jane the decision to sire children with your best bro is not one to be taken lightly.

Belatedly, these will be the lines that spawn a thousand lovely mpreg arts.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WAR FOOT posted:

You say that like the concept wasn't already gestating in fanartists' swollen thought incubators from the moment both characters were introduced.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

She has redeemed herself amazingly well by crashing and burning spectacularly.

You cannot beat Jane Crocker in a friendzoning-yourself off.

She is simply the best there is.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

You say that like the concept wasn't already gestating in fanartists' swollen thought incubators from the moment both characters were introduced.

But hilariously (horrifically) the yaoi shippers don't like Dirk now that he's outed himself. Leave something to the imagination of the fans Hussie, JEEZE.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jane's dreamself is going to wake up and go absolutely apeshit on Jack, isn't she?

edit: or secretly ally herself with Jack against dream Dirk.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 22, 2012

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
So, no prototyping then? Jane's just gonna go dreamself fulltime, and that's how she enters the medium?

I guess AR and Seb could do all the dirty work.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

WAR FOOT posted:

He's having a baby and the baby is you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thundarr posted:

Jane's dreamself is going to wake up and go absolutely apeshit on Jack, isn't she?

edit: or secretly ally herself with Jack against dream Dirk.
I believe the term is "cahoots".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Scale Model Giant posted:

So, no prototyping then? Jane's just gonna go dreamself fulltime, and that's how she enters the medium?

I guess AR and Seb could do all the dirty work.

I think this might be the case, if only because there isn't much other reason to show Jack re-stabbing her dream self unless he's interrupted this time. Jane just said she wants to go to sleep forever, the battlefield doesn't need prototyping this time since the beta players are bringing a prepared Skaia with them, there's no prototyping towers...

Yeah, everything seems set up for a frustrated Jane to take a nap instead of getting herself into the session then waking up on Prospit either already saved or just in time to save herself. Then her real self gets blown up by a meteor.

Killing dad...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It would be kind of a drag to not see new Lands though if that is the case.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well, there could still be lands if that turned out true. Just without the players' houses on them, and without the gate chains.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
There will definitely (likely) be 4 new Lands in the new session. I didn't think anyone could forget that 8-planet incipisphere from the lab way back when.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

I think this might be the case, if only because there isn't much other reason to show Jack re-stabbing her dream self unless he's interrupted this time. Jane just said she wants to go to sleep forever, the battlefield doesn't need prototyping this time since the beta players are bringing a prepared Skaia with them, there's no prototyping towers...

Yeah, everything seems set up for a frustrated Jane to take a nap instead of getting herself into the session then waking up on Prospit either already saved or just in time to save herself. Then her real self gets blown up by a meteor.

Killing dad...

The only problem with this theory is that while a real self can survive a dream self dying just fine; if the real self dies, the corpse has to be kissed by a prince or princess (one of the players) or their dream bodies start to take on the wounds of their real self. While Jane might be okay, with the Lifey thing, I think Roxy and Dirk would be boned. And Jake would just be hosed.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 22, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Well, there could still be lands if that turned out true. Just without the players' houses on them, and without the gate chains.
It seemed implied from the flash where LOLAR was introduced that the lands literally do not exist until the players enter the game.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Dolash posted:

Then her real self gets blown up by a meteor.

Only for us to find out later she somehow survived for a third time. She's the Maid of Life, after all. (Edit: ^^^Yeah, what Prison Warden said. The Lifey thing.)

And Dad will find a way out on his own, he's too awesome to ever stay dead :colbert:

Scale Model Giant fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 22, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Nate RFB posted:

It seemed implied from the flash where LOLAR was introduced that the lands literally do not exist until the players enter the game.

It's difficult to be sure of this stuff - but if so, the lands are created fully-formed with a history. We didn't see much of what the players' interactions with the consorts are "meant" to be like, but there are lots of little references to how the players are prophesied champions, how LOLAR's oceans used to be full of fish but now aren't, and so forth. Do the lands pop into existence or into relevance?

I suppose the real question is: if a video game has a level that nobody's ever played, does it exist? What if a tree falls on it?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It's difficult to be sure of this stuff - but if so, the lands are created fully-formed with a history. We didn't see much of what the players' interactions with the consorts are "meant" to be like, but there are lots of little references to how the players are prophesied champions, how LOLAR's oceans used to be full of fish but now aren't, and so forth. Do the lands pop into existence or into relevance?

I suppose the real question is: if a video game has a level that nobody's ever played, does it exist? What if a tree falls on it?

I think the lands are at the same time brand new and old enough to have a history. They don't exist until their respective player enters, but then they've existed for a while.

Just like loading a level in a videogame.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, that's what I was alluding to with the last bit there.

Essentially, we're talking about the hypothetical effects of a severe sequence break. That sort of thing depends pretty heavily on implementation detail, so even if talking tech about a completely fictional magic video game wasn't already a little silly, we'd have no choice but to argue narratively. And I don't think it's terribly likely that there won't be any lands, no matter how weird the means of entry! Could be wrong, of course.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Thank you very much, whoever changed my avatar! It was a pleasant surprise to log on to. :)

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
It would be a surprising twist if Jane killed Jack instead of the other way around. Or cahoots. Jane is a confused & upset teen, not a mass murderer or a highblood.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TOAST7312 posted:

It would be a surprising twist if Jane killed Jack instead of the other way around. Or cahoots. Jane is a confused & upset teen, not a mass murderer or a highblood.

I was actually wondering: Could Jane really take out Jack? It'd be funny if she did, with Jack going out like a punk, but is it really possible that she could do it? Maybe weaponizing the Lifey thing in some manner.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

RandallODim posted:

I was actually wondering: Could Jane really take out Jack? It'd be funny if she did, with Jack going out like a punk, but is it really possible that she could do it? Maybe weaponizing the Lifey thing in some manner.

I wouldn't say 'go out like a chump'. But yes, I would believe she would use her Lifey Thing, inadvertently in her anger, and perhaps grab the sword as Jack stabs her and shows him his own stabs.

TEEN RAAAGE! :ssj:

Even then if he doesn't get killed, maybe he'd respect her akin to the way he did Dad. Perhaps even Ally? Though this last part is doubtful since he actually likes his new quuen.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

TOAST7312 posted:

It would be a surprising twist if Jane killed Jack instead of the other way around.

Jane: Do the Lifey thing, but on that guy, and in reverse.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Jane: Do the Lifey thing, but on that guy, and in reverse.

Yeah, it probably works that way.

It would be interesting if Jack dies like a punk and DD takes over as the head jerk (but then, oh no, Dirk! :ohdear:)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

RandallODim posted:

It would probably play out as Jane launching into a rage-fueled, self-deprecating rant worthy of Karkat which impresses Jack to the point of not shanking her again.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I am actually 16 right now.

These updates have been pretty great lately.

Little bit off topic, but holy crap. If your music is so good now, you'll be unstoppable by the time you're done with college.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Pester posted:

Little bit off topic, but holy crap. If your music is so good now, you'll be unstoppable by the time you're done with college.

Reminder: there is a 16 year old on the art team.
:psyduck: This is some generation that's sprouting up. The future sure does look bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Thundarr posted:

It would probably play out as Jane launching into a rage-fueled, self-deprecating rant worthy of Karkat which impresses Jack to the point of not shanking her again.

Or she could pull a Rose and go all anti-Life (Doom?)