Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

ok, I think I'm overthinking things here, so could someone recommend me a monitor for browsing the internet and high speed gaming (Quake, Trackmania, etc)? It sounds like a TN 120HZ monitor is a way to go, so the VG236H is the best? (it's the only TN recommendation in the OP)

Is my choice cheap but 120HZ gaming with bad viewing angles and poor colors or more expensive 60HZ input lag with great colors/viewing angles, or is there something in between? Keep in mind that I'm currently using a Dell 2005FPW so maybe either one would look a lot better to me

mistermojo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
2005fpw is slow as gently caress, I upgraded to a 2412 in November from one and it was a whole new world. I went from noticeable latency that I had to adjust for to (to me) no latency. If you're mad at the latency you have right now, I would urge you to check out a 2412, because a) 120 fps is hard for any GPU to push anyway and 2) it will look much better overall.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Can someone help me figure out which monitor is right for me? I have very particular tastes about image quality and responsiveness which has led to me using a CRT monitor exclusively. It's getting really hard to find good CRT monitors these days when mine wears out and I can't deny having a bigger screen wouldn't be nice.

I've looked at lots of recommendations here and elsewhere and haven't found any that seem right for me. There's the dell 2312hm which I went to have a look at it has nice color depth but horrendous image ghosting. I'm looking for one in the 23" range 16:9 as close to CRT quality as possible, does this screen exist or should I just stick with my box?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Flannelette posted:

Can someone help me figure out which monitor is right for me? I have very particular tastes about image quality and responsiveness which has led to me using a CRT monitor exclusively. It's getting really hard to find good CRT monitors these days when mine wears out and I can't deny having a bigger screen wouldn't be nice.

I've looked at lots of recommendations here and elsewhere and haven't found any that seem right for me. There's the dell 2312hm which I went to have a look at it has nice color depth but horrendous image ghosting. I'm looking for one in the 23" range 16:9 as close to CRT quality as possible, does this screen exist or should I just stick with my box?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2312hm.htm#gaming

Are you sure it was configured right? (Did you actually use a 2312HM or did you just read a review or something?)

Maybe my eyes are poo poo, but I don't pick up on the ghosting on my 2412M at all, and it's about the same as the 2312HM, and you're literally not going to find less input lag outside of a CRT. What model of display are you using now, and how long have you had it?

Also the vast majority of 16:9 monitors below 32" are TN panels, and the vast majority of 16:9 panels above 32" are either televisions (4:2:2 in most cases, which messes with computer display output) or ridiculously expensive, and too grainy to use day-to-day in either case. You may have to put up with 16:10 (in which case I would NOT get the 2412M since it has no 16:9 or match aspect option).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 17, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

amishmatrix posted:

Yeah, it's a Shimian QH270 IPSBS. There's literally no information on the internet about them. The only reason I thought to look for one is that they're VERY popular in PC Rooms around Korea, pretty much every other one uses them.

One PC Room worker that spoke English informed me that he heard they use LG panels, not sure if that's true or not.

I've used the big Apple monitors at work and I'd say this one comes close. It definitely is trying to look like one with its bezel-less glass front. It's blacks aren't quite as deep as Apples but the brightness and crispness certainly seems on par.

http://search.danawa.com/dsearch.php?k1=shimian&module=goods&act=dispMain&x=0&y=0

Found them on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...#ht_5890wt_1031

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Maybe my eyes are poo poo, but I don't pick up on the ghosting on my 2412M at all

It's not terrible, but there's still definitely some ghosting on mine. It's not really noticeable in first person shooters, but in 2D games (especially high contrast ones like Limbo) it's pretty easy to see.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shadowhand00 posted:

Found them on Ebay:

Goddamn that is good value. Even in the worst case, it uses reject panels with a handful of dead pixels, it would still be worth it, you'd never notice them when gaming or watching a movie. Who's going to be the first one to say gently caress it and try?

Even looks like it has a decent number of inputs. (I had to check because the ebay page didn't mention it and it said d-sub in the title).

vv Christ, that's cheap.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 17, 2012

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Shadowhand00 posted:

Found them on Ebay:

Shame it's at about a 55% mark-up from the Korean sites I've been looking at (around $250-$260). Could possibly get it cheap from one of those if you can find one willing to ship abroad.

Edit: Wait a sec, that's the Lite version, not the Shimian QH270 IPSBS. So actually, it should be even cheaper.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I've looked at some more screens, how good are the Samsung 120hz screens? They seem to have very very little ghosting compared to 60hz screens. Then there's this BenQ 120hz $500 gaming screen that was "part designed by someone who plays counterstrike" so it must be good :shepface:.
I've decided that not having ghosting and fast response is much more important than color depth, which would be the highest quality monitor in the 23-24" 16:9 range for this?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ive been looking for a new monitor and saw this deal pop up on Tiger Direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1961942&sku=P764-2701

I am a little leery of Samsung's monitors after the ordeal I had with my current one. Massive light bleed in the bottom right along with bad color distortion on dark colors down there, minor light bleed on the other 3 which is not noticeable most of the time. Sent it in to Samsung and it came back with worse light bleed on the bottom right corner than it had to begin with.

It looks like a really good deal for a monitor that size but I thought i would run it by you guys first for opinions. The only thing i plan on doing in playing games and watching movies. I have no special requirements on stuff outside of ghosting. Good color would be nice, but I'm looking towards the cheap end and know that i shouldn't really expect much...

The only other thing I have considered was maybe picking up a 32" 1080p TV and wall mounting it so i could easily watch movies from my bed as opposed to having to sit near my desk. I do have a 32" TV in my room already, but its in a bad spot and is only 720p (half tempted to try setting it up and seeing how i like it.) Im used to 1680x1050 resolution so I'm not sure how 720p would really look, especially for gaming. Love to crank the visuals pretty high. Running a gtx560ti.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Ghostpilot posted:

Shame it's at about a 55% mark-up from the Korean sites I've been looking at (around $250-$260). Could possibly get it cheap from one of those if you can find one willing to ship abroad.

Edit: Wait a sec, that's the Lite version, not the Shimian QH270 IPSBS. So actually, it should be even cheaper.

Looks like Overclock.net is doing a group buy:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1217979/us-only-shimian-qh2700-group-buy-info-thread/10

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I do a bit of photo work and I was wondering if this 23” Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS display is something I should consider. Also, apparently it's on sale for $230 with a three year warranty.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

I do a bit of photo work and I was wondering if this 23” Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS display is something I should consider. Also, apparently it's on sale for $230 with a three year warranty.

It's an excellent display, there are many goons in this thread who have one, you should buy it.

That group buy looks interesting, I'm tempted to jump in one, play with it for awhile and then give to parents to show them why their Samsung 1080p TN 27" is so terrible.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

It's an excellent display, there are many goons in this thread who have one, you should buy it.

That group buy looks interesting, I'm tempted to jump in one, play with it for awhile and then give to parents to show them why their Samsung 1080p TN 27" is so terrible.

I might jump in that group buy, I've been waiting for an IPS 1440p at a cheaper price point. How/why are they so cheap though (they say $230 usd, but $400~ if you import it)? Are there really almost $200 in import fees + shipping for a monitor?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Shmoogy posted:

I might jump in that group buy, I've been waiting for an IPS 1440p at a cheaper price point. How/why are they so cheap though (they say $230 usd, but $400~ if you import it)? Are there really almost $200 in import fees + shipping for a monitor?

They're 6-bit panels with (excellent) temporal dithering. They offer full sRGB gamut, but not much beyond that, color-wise. Other than pure gamut, their color characteristics are great, though.

So less-expensive internals plus inexpensive LED backlighting plus really popular = less expensive for you and me.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
They're H-IPS monitors so they're definitely true 8 bit monitors. If they're really the same as the Hazro monitors, the monitor with the extra connections will even be 8 bit + AFRC.

Hazro monitors are very cheap compared to the competition as well. $500-650 for a 2560x1440 H-IPS monitor? You'd be lucky for find a decent Dell one for $800.

I imagine they achieve such a low price point because their warranty is dog balls, the build quality is obviously cheaper to Dell and Apple equivalents, and they're not really aiming for affluent consumer/professional market.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Uh, we're talking about the U2312HM, aren't we? I was mixing it up with the U2311H re: 6-bit vs. 8-bit, but it's still only sRGB. And 8-bit processing is still less expensive than 10-bit on wide-gamut displays.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Chafe posted:

I imagine they achieve such a low price point because their warranty is dog balls, the build quality is obviously cheaper to Dell and Apple equivalents, and they're not really aiming for affluent consumer/professional market.

Basically paying for the panel, and connectors to the panel in a cheap plastic bezel.

I don't know why someone hasn't just bulk imported it and slapped their name on it (Corsair XXXXTREME GAMERZ brand or some such).

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Uh, we're talking about the U2312HM, aren't we? I was mixing it up with the U2311H re: 6-bit vs. 8-bit, but it's still only sRGB. And 8-bit processing is still less expensive than 10-bit on wide-gamut displays.

I'm pretty sure he's (we're) talking about that Korean 1440P monitor that goes for peanuts and everyone wants to do a group order for. It's like $230 USD from Gmarket, a South Korean computer hardware dealer. The blokes doing the group order want to get the unit price under $400 due to the taxes they're likely going to incur.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 21, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Factory Factory posted:

So basically I should hold off on the 23-inch Dell and get in on this 27-inch crazy Korean panel deal instead? I'm looking to upgrade from my Samsung Syncmaster 2243 which has horrible view angles and leads to horrible color shifting if I even think about slouching.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 21, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Miso Beno posted:

So basically I should hold off on the 23-inch Dell and get in on this 27-inch crazy Korean panel deal instead? I'm looking to upgrade from my Samsung Syncmaster 2243 which has horrible view angles and leads to horrible color shifting if I even think about slouching.
Considering that the OP for that group-buy thing has big red text saying "Orders will NOT be filled at this time," and even if they were, all the menus would be in Korean, the warranty would be anyone's guess (my guess is "hahaha no"--or at least international shipping being so expensive as to render it pointless), and that it would require a power converter (Korea is 220v/60Hz--though you really just need some brick that'll put out 24VDC/5A if you can track down one with the right port size)? I'd go with the Dell.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 21, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

^ Thankfully I live in the UK, so the voltage thing is no issue. I imagine I would just need the physically correct cable to go into the power brick.

Chafe posted:

Yep, Hazro is rebranded, but I'm more interested in the direct Korean ones, since they're massively cheaper still. $500-650 is not interesting at all. $300-400, now that definitely is.
At that point it barely matters if the warranty is five minutes long and you can't call anybody, it's becoming worth the risk. I just don't have any room for it physically. :(

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

So I just realized that the U2711 is 16:9, the monitor I was going to replace with the U2711 is a 24" Samsung 16:10 SyncMaster and I love the extra vertical pixels. Am I going to be sorely missing the 16:10 if I go to 16:9? Realizing that this morning is kind of tempting me to the U3011 , but holy gently caress it's expensive.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
2560 * 1440 is much more usable area than 1920 * 1200, so you won't miss anything at all. The real comparison to the 2711 is the 3011 at 2560 * 1600. I actually got my 30" as a refurb for the same price that a 2711 goes for, and I don't regret it at all. Condition was absolutely fine, and for $800 instead of the 1599$ list, I sure as hell liked the price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

hellfaucet posted:

So I just realized that the U2711 is 16:9, the monitor I was going to replace with the U2711 is a 24" Samsung 16:10 SyncMaster and I love the extra vertical pixels. Am I going to be sorely missing the 16:10 if I go to 16:9? Realizing that this morning is kind of tempting me to the U3011 , but holy gently caress it's expensive.

Why would you miss the space when overall, including vertical, it is larger?

It only truly matters on a smaller screen, but obviously the 30" would be the more desirable - as you pointed out, it costs a galling amount.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

HalloKitty posted:

^ Thankfully I live in the UK, so the voltage thing is no issue. I imagine I would just need the physically correct cable to go into the power brick.

Pretty sure the UK has 230V/50Hz, so if Korea has 230V/60Hz, wouldn't you still be in trouble?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Pretty sure the UK has 230V/50Hz, so if Korea has 230V/60Hz, wouldn't you still be in trouble?

Oh yeah, whoops. In that case, you'd need a replacement power brick. What an odd combination their power is..

Sure enough, the map of voltage/frequencies shows that they are almost unique.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 22, 2012

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Most DC power supplies don't care about hz and will work just fine as long as you don't exceed the voltage they are designed for. There is also a chance that it comes with a universal power supply that handles anywhere from 100-240 volts like a lot of new computer equipment.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I ended up buying the Shimian QH270-lite from http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...8#ht_5861wt_952

(It's that Korean monitor that has been discussed in this thread and overclock.net)

The seller appears to be legitimate and the monitor itself has been getting glowing reviews from people in South Korea who have seen it personally. Sure I'll have to get a DVI-D to DVI-I cable and a 240v to 110v transformer, but if everything ends up working you can't beat a IPS 1440p 27 inch monitor for 400 bucks.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

I ended up buying the Shimian QH270-lite from http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...8#ht_5861wt_952

(It's that Korean monitor that has been discussed in this thread and overclock.net)

The seller appears to be legitimate and the monitor itself has been getting glowing reviews from people in South Korea who have seen it personally. Sure I'll have to get a DVI-D to DVI-I cable and a 240v to 110v transformer, but if everything ends up working you can't beat a IPS 1440p 27 inch monitor for 400 bucks.

I'm really excited about this monitor. I've been talking to some friends in Korea to try to get them to ship it over. From what I understand, there is no true difference between the -lite and non-lite versions?

What monitor do you have to compare it to btw?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've got a Dell U2312HM that I intend to do a few comparisons with...it's a somewhat risky purchase so I intend to test it thoroughly in order to see if the monitor is legitimate or not.

Edit: VVVVV Will do!

Kirios fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 22, 2012

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Please let us know how it turns out. I've definitely been considering it but I haven't convinced myself to take the plunge yet.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
So i'm in the market for a new monitor.

I will be using it to play games, watch movies and uhh, yep, browse the internet. So I need good response time.
I'm in the $150-250 range, but would like to keep it close to $200 but I am willing to pay a bit more if there is a good reason to pony up the extra dough.

I would like to be able to watch movies and things on it from my bed ideally so about an 9ft distance away (guessing), I want to be able to watch movies on it with friends so hopefully something that doesn't have a poor viewing angle, but I don't know if the problems with view angle are just exaggerated?

Anyway, guide the way monitor masters.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dave Mustard posted:

but I don't know if the problems with view angle are just exaggerated?

Even the "best" TN screens suffer from poor vertical viewing angles, and mediocre horizontal viewing angles.

The best you can hope for with TN is that it doesn't colour shift when you are at an extreme angle.

Rummaging around youtube to find a video showing some monitors that are relatively recent, I found an E-IPS Dell U2311H vs a 2008 model Samsung, showing the problem: http://youtu.be/DhevKSYIMrY

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 23, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Even the "best" TN screens suffer from poor vertical viewing angles, and mediocre horizontal viewing angles.

The best you can hope for with TN is that it doesn't colour shift when you are at an extreme angle.

I have an older model LCD on right now, it's just a 19 inch in 5:4, but it looks pretty good even when I look at odd angles, but maybe I've just gotten used to it.
Here it is: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/multisync-lcd1860nx-18-1/1707-3174_7-20818334.html

The view angle isn't bad. I think?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dave Mustard posted:

I have an older model LCD on right now, it's just a 19 inch in 5:4, but it looks pretty good even when I look at odd angles, but maybe I've just gotten used to it.
Here it is: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/multisync-lcd1860nx-18-1/1707-3174_7-20818334.html

The view angle isn't bad. I think?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/37476/nec-mitsubishi-multisync-lcd1860nx
"The 1860NX uses an 18in IPS panel"

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review_nec_1860nxbk_part2.html
"The 1860NX-BK incorporates an IPS panel made by LG."

As it turns out, you do have an IPS panel, just a really old (and slow, by today's standards) one. Which explains the great viewing angles.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 23, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/37476/nec-mitsubishi-multisync-lcd1860nx
"The 1860NX uses an 18in IPS panel"

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review_nec_1860nxbk_part2.html
"The 1860NX-BK incorporates an IPS panel made by LG."

As it turns out, you do have an IPS panel, just a really old (and slow, by today's standards) one. Which explains the great viewing angles.

So an modern ips wouldn't be good for my needs?
I also forgot to mention the size I wanted, I wanted something in the 22"-24" range.

How would this do me? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

edit: actually this rather http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A modern IPS would be good for you, but it would cost more. That NEC you have would have cost a lot of money back in 2003.

That ASUS is probably perfectly acceptable, but it won't be as good as the nearest IPS equivalent.
Here's how the viewing angles look on that one:

You can see their specs are nonsense when it comes to vertical viewing angles, as the colour inverts once you get a little way down. As long as you know that, it's still a lot of monitor for a little price.

Most people in here would be telling you to get a Dell U2312HM instead, but for the added panel quality (and build quality) it will of course cost more. Really, you know what your budget can bear, and that's the factor that locks you in to a choice; as long as you know what to expect for your money.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 23, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

I pulled the trigger on the Catleap version. Here's hoping it comes intact!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-non-ag-achieva-shimian-qh270-does-anyone-read-korean/100#post_16537913

From this post, it sounds like you won't need a transformer.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im looking at 2 main monitors to upgrade to. Im using a 21.5" Samsung Syncmaster. poo poo monitor, runs decently, but tons of backlight bleed. The only real upside is that there is 0 ghosting. What i need in a monitor: Good for gaming, watching movies, no ghosting (This is big, ghosting gives me a major headache very quickly.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103 Is the main one of considering. Seems to be very nice for the price and the built in speakers are nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091 Looks to be about the same as the first, just a bit cheaper. The refresh rates are a bit slower, but im not sure if that would make a difference.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The reason I'm looking at 27" is so i can kick back and watch netflix laying down on my bed across the room. Also, would buying a 32" 1080p TV be a bad idea to use as a monitor?

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 23, 2012