Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Thanks again man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants on head
Feb 4, 2012
I got a $1000 "honorarium" last year. It's a fellowship, separate from my graduate student stipend (which gets a W-2). It was not pre-taxed. I am using Turbo Tax online. It went into my federal return okay, but the state (NJ) one is asking for an ID number for the grantor. Is this the same as the EIN from my W-2? If not, the answer is "call payroll," isn't it? :(

It's doubly annoying because it's not even taxable in NJ, but it's going into my return automatically from the federal one :argh:

edit: For that matter, where does it go on the federal return? It doesn't seem to fit under "scholarships" because it's not for school/tuition expenses, but I AM a student... I don't know where else to put it. Is "scholarships" right for something like a fellowship?

pants on head fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 18, 2012

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

pants on head posted:

I got a $1000 "honorarium" last year. It's a fellowship, separate from my graduate student stipend (which gets a W-2). It was not pre-taxed. I am using Turbo Tax online. It went into my federal return okay, but the state (NJ) one is asking for an ID number for the grantor. Is this the same as the EIN from my W-2? If not, the answer is "call payroll," isn't it? :(

It's doubly annoying because it's not even taxable in NJ, but it's going into my return automatically from the federal one :argh:

edit: For that matter, where does it go on the federal return? It doesn't seem to fit under "scholarships" because it's not for school/tuition expenses, but I AM a student... I don't know where else to put it. Is "scholarships" right for something like a fellowship?

Your honorarium is self employment income. You have to report it on Schedule C ( or c-ez ).

pants on head
Feb 4, 2012

seymore posted:

Your honorarium is self employment income. You have to report it on Schedule C ( or c-ez ).

Really? That seems strange. I wasn't clear maybe, but it comes from the same university as my stipend and has always been described as a fellowship to me. Honorarium is what it says on the paper that came with the check but I haven't done anything in return for it except take a 0 credit class. I will see if I can get any ideas from the people whose program it's attached to. Thanks.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I didn't receive a 1098-T from my university for 2011, and I graduated in May of that year. I called the campus' finance center and they said I wouldn't get one since the last time I registered for classes was in December of 2010, and as such it wouldn't count towards my 2011 filing. Is this right, did my spring 2011 semester show on last year's 1098-T and as such there's nothing this year?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

pants on head posted:

Really? That seems strange. I wasn't clear maybe, but it comes from the same university as my stipend and has always been described as a fellowship to me. Honorarium is what it says on the paper that came with the check but I haven't done anything in return for it except take a 0 credit class. I will see if I can get any ideas from the people whose program it's attached to. Thanks.

You are right in that the taxation of that amount is entirely dependant upon what, exactly, the payment is for. A true Honorarium received for services rendered is self employment income. But if it really a type of tuition payment/scholarship etc. then it would not be.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Is the estimated tax rate 13.3% in 2012? Apparently it dropped last year and I didnt notice, ended up paying 15.3% all year. I guess the overpayment this year doesnt show up til my 2012 taxes according to TurboTax?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

dms666 posted:

Is the estimated tax rate 13.3% in 2012? Apparently it dropped last year and I didnt notice, ended up paying 15.3% all year. I guess the overpayment this year doesnt show up til my 2012 taxes according to TurboTax?

There is not one single estimated tax rate. Your tax rate depends entirely upon your net taxable income for the year. You first have to estimate your 2012 tax liability. If your income/deductions are going to be identical for 2011 and 2012 then yhour tax liability should be basically the same.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I've read(in an instant win contest) that you're supposed to the paperwork one would need to file taxes(W-2, 1099) by January 31st? I have gotten it from my current employer, but one of the employers I worked for last year hasn't sent anything to me. I'd like to get it ASAP so I can take advantage of reduced tax preparation rates. Is there a law or something I can quote to them to attempt to get my 1099 back sooner?

catman
Jul 23, 2006

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I didn't receive a 1098-T from my university for 2011, and I graduated in May of that year. I called the campus' finance center and they said I wouldn't get one since the last time I registered for classes was in December of 2010, and as such it wouldn't count towards my 2011 filing. Is this right, did my spring 2011 semester show on last year's 1098-T and as such there's nothing this year?

It was probably on the prior year 1098-T, however, you would use whatever you paid in 2011 (cash basis) for your 2011 tax return (but if you already used it prior year then you shouldn't double-count it).

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Harmburger posted:

I've read(in an instant win contest) that you're supposed to the paperwork one would need to file taxes(W-2, 1099) by January 31st? I have gotten it from my current employer, but one of the employers I worked for last year hasn't sent anything to me. I'd like to get it ASAP so I can take advantage of reduced tax preparation rates. Is there a law or something I can quote to them to attempt to get my 1099 back sooner?

This is a good starting point :

http://www.irs.gov/govt/tribes/article/0,,id=102552,00.html

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I was suddenly offered a job I cannot really turn down in a city about 2 hours from where I currently live.

I will be W-2 status through an outside company that was contracted to do work for another blah blah blah...

However, because of the short notice I'm going to have to hole up in a hotel for a couple weeks, at least. Until an apartment can be secured.

I believe for contract work/business travel you can deduct these sorts of expenses. However, I don't know if it applies to this case since I wont be 1099. But the work is guaranteed to be temporary and only last through December at the latest.

What can I deduct for hotel expenses, if anything, until I find a permanent place to live?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Sylink posted:

I was suddenly offered a job I cannot really turn down in a city about 2 hours from where I currently live.

I will be W-2 status through an outside company that was contracted to do work for another blah blah blah...

However, because of the short notice I'm going to have to hole up in a hotel for a couple weeks, at least. Until an apartment can be secured.

I believe for contract work/business travel you can deduct these sorts of expenses. However, I don't know if it applies to this case since I wont be 1099. But the work is guaranteed to be temporary and only last through December at the latest.

What can I deduct for hotel expenses, if anything, until I find a permanent place to live?
your hotel expenses are personal and nondeductible. also look up the time and distance tests to see if you can deduct the costs of the move itself.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This is the case even though the company I'm actually working for is in New Jersey? While I'll be in a different state entirely?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

scribe jones posted:

your hotel expenses are personal and nondeductible. also look up the time and distance tests to see if you can deduct the costs of the move itself.

Come now, a 2 hour drive is going to be at least 50 miles away.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Come now, a 2 hour drive is going to be at least 50 miles away.

Coming from the guy who lives in Cali? You should know better than that.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm ready to send out a 1040x do to a 1099-INT that came in after I submitted my tax return with TurboTax (1040A), I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to send in. I created my amended return on TurboTax and it gave me the 1040X and 1040A form to print out. Since I'm amending for a 1099-INT do I also need to send the Schedule B form? The total amount comes in under $1500.

Thanks for any help.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Yaos posted:

I'm ready to send out a 1040x do to a 1099-INT that came in after I submitted my tax return with TurboTax (1040A), I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to send in. I created my amended return on TurboTax and it gave me the 1040X and 1040A form to print out. Since I'm amending for a 1099-INT do I also need to send the Schedule B form? The total amount comes in under $1500.

Thanks for any help.

How much interest are we talking about? If it is less than a few hundred dollars I would probably not bother with an amendment. The IRS will kick out a notice sometime in the next 7-9 months with a proposed assessment and you can just pay it then.

If you are sending in the amendment then I would include a schedule B even if it isn't required.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

How much interest are we talking about? If it is less than a few hundred dollars I would probably not bother with an amendment. The IRS will kick out a notice sometime in the next 7-9 months with a proposed assessment and you can just pay it then.

If you are sending in the amendment then I would include a schedule B even if it isn't required.

Other idea: What do the instructions for Form 1040X say to send in?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

AbbiTheDog posted:

Other idea: What do the instructions for Form 1040X say to send in?
Every affected form and schedule according to the sequence attachment number, although the 1040A form does not have such a number, but it's affected as I have to change my gross income.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll add the schedule B in the mix.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'm worried that my spouse and I may have made a mistake in how we paid for our down payment on our house.

My wife transferred funds from her savings account to my checking account to write the check with.

Does this have tax implications? I'm worried that this would be counted as a gift (I don't know what the tax rules on gifts are) and reported as such.

Any clarification would be very helpful. Thanks!

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Murgos posted:

I'm worried that my spouse and I may have made a mistake in how we paid for our down payment on our house.

My wife transferred funds from her savings account to my checking account to write the check with.

Does this have tax implications? I'm worried that this would be counted as a gift (I don't know what the tax rules on gifts are) and reported as such.

Any clarification would be very helpful. Thanks!
No tax consequences for a gift between husband and wife

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sometimes I wonder about TurboTax. It seems like a reasonably common situation is to have a federal tax-exempt fund, and then part of that fund is actually from your state so it is also state tax-exempt. And the brokerage gives you a little insert with your 1099 that says "1.9% of the income of fund X is from state Y".

So Turbotax pretty much provides no guidance on this at all, and just says "enter the amount for every state" (all 50 of them, really?) or you can unknowingly put in "multiple states" and pass up a few bucks on your state income tax. And even better, their fancy direct data import doesn't pull in this data, so it comes up as an error on final review. I had to break out Excel to figure out my numbers, which kind of defeats the point of tax software in my opinion. Just venting, I guess... are the pro packages better at this kind of thing?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

smackfu posted:

Sometimes I wonder about TurboTax. It seems like a reasonably common situation is to have a federal tax-exempt fund, and then part of that fund is actually from your state so it is also state tax-exempt. And the brokerage gives you a little insert with your 1099 that says "1.9% of the income of fund X is from state Y".

So Turbotax pretty much provides no guidance on this at all, and just says "enter the amount for every state" (all 50 of them, really?) or you can unknowingly put in "multiple states" and pass up a few bucks on your state income tax. And even better, their fancy direct data import doesn't pull in this data, so it comes up as an error on final review. I had to break out Excel to figure out my numbers, which kind of defeats the point of tax software in my opinion. Just venting, I guess... are the pro packages better at this kind of thing?
Yes :)

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

Don't worry, CA has your back on this. Unless at least 50% of the fund's income is from CA muni sources they no longer allow you to exempt ANY income from a multi-state fund. So the solution is obviously to move to CA.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Don't worry, CA has your back on this. Unless at least 50% of the fund's income is from CA muni sources they no longer allow you to exempt ANY income from a multi-state fund. So the solution is obviously to move to CA.

Sucker! Here in OR we get OR, Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, etc.

Fiesty Francis
Apr 7, 2005

At least if I'd studied literature I might be able to spell `feisty'
It was pointed out to me this is a better place to ask this than it's own thread.

A little bit of background:

My wife was born in the US, to an American father and Canadian mother. They lived in the US until she was 3, and then moved to Canada. She has a US Social Insurance Number, but all of the rest of her documentation is Canadian (Passport, SIN, etc.) She has dual citizenship.

I read an article in the Globe and Mail recently that mentioned that all US citizens are required to file an information return each year listing all assets valued at over $10k, and failure to do so can result in huge penalties. (The article had the example of a man who's lived in Canada for 25 years, had a very small RRSP balance, and was being levied penalties that were greatly exceeding the value of the RRSP because they're levied each year.)

Luckily, her name has only been attached to accounts valued at greater than 10k for the last couple of years, but this still has me nervous. Are there any tax professionals here who can give me an idea as to what filing requirements she has as a non-resident US citizen regarding asset information returns, and tax returns?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I actually have a question sort of similar to the guy above about my sister - she is a U.S. citizen working for a foreign company (they operate entirely outside of the U.S.) and while she has a U.S. bank account with a bit of money in it, she is paid in foreign currency into a foreign bank. As part of her job she is also given room and board.

I tried to do some research on my own about if she needs to file a tax return, and if so how she would go about it, and I found things in the tax code that indicated there's some kind of compensation limit as an expat, but I'm not sure if her lodging would need to be included in that (or how to determine the worth of that in $US). I know that this is a pretty complex question so I'm just hoping someone can give me a rough idea of what to do, or what sites to look at, or what firms' tax professionals would be best equipped to handle this. My dad is used to doing all of the family tax returns on his own, but if I could come to him with some solid guidance on the steps we need to take, he may relent on this. Particularly if the small amount of interest she earns on her BofA accounts need to be reported in any way.

Thanks for any help or links anyone can give!

Edit: I am poking around here and it looks to me like, as she is single, she needs to file if she's earned more than 9,500 USD during the year (including lodging), but since her tax home is in a foreign country she qualifies for a foreign income / housing exclusion of up to $92,900 in 2011. Since she doesn't earn that much over there, and her US income is probably like, $50 from her savings account, it sounds like maybe she doesn't have to file at all? Does this sound right? Thanks again for the help.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 23, 2012

Unstable Pants
Sep 1, 2004

OH GOD, THEY'RE GOING CRITICAL! RUN!
I've had to file US taxes every year that I've been living in Canada, even if I made under the exclusion limit. It's my understanding that you have to file every year regardless.

I COULD be wrong on this next part, but it's also my understanding that if you make under the exclusion limit, you don't necessarily have to file right away. If you would owe taxes to the US, you need to file right away. In my opinion, it's still best to make sure you file every year just so you don't misplace documents and/or forget.

So yes, she'd still have to file, but it MAY not necessarily be required right away.

Then again, I could be wrong. If I am, I'll edit this as necessary.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Ah ha, I think you're right, based on this:

IRS posted:

For purposes of determining whether you must file a return, gross income includes any income that you can exclude as foreign earned income or as a foreign housing amount.

So it sounds like she should file but she won't actually have much taxable income after the exclusion.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Fiesty Francis posted:

It was pointed out to me this is a better place to ask this than it's own thread.

A little bit of background:

My wife was born in the US, to an American father and Canadian mother. They lived in the US until she was 3, and then moved to Canada. She has a US Social Insurance Number, but all of the rest of her documentation is Canadian (Passport, SIN, etc.) She has dual citizenship.

I read an article in the Globe and Mail recently that mentioned that all US citizens are required to file an information return each year listing all assets valued at over $10k, and failure to do so can result in huge penalties. (The article had the example of a man who's lived in Canada for 25 years, had a very small RRSP balance, and was being levied penalties that were greatly exceeding the value of the RRSP because they're levied each year.)

Luckily, her name has only been attached to accounts valued at greater than 10k for the last couple of years, but this still has me nervous. Are there any tax professionals here who can give me an idea as to what filing requirements she has as a non-resident US citizen regarding asset information returns, and tax returns?

My suggestion is generally to file the returns for the past years. The penalties only apply for "willful failure to file". If they try to assess a penalty, respond with a letter saying that she was unaware of the requirement to file since she has lived in Canada for essentially her whole life.

Of greater concern might be that US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income. Between the foreign earned income exclusion, foreign tax credit, and the treaty between the US and Canada she probably won't end up owing anything, but technically she should be filing a US tax return for each year. I doubt anyone actually does, but that's the rules.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Sophia posted:

I actually have a question sort of similar to the guy above about my sister - she is a U.S. citizen working for a foreign company (they operate entirely outside of the U.S.) and while she has a U.S. bank account with a bit of money in it, she is paid in foreign currency into a foreign bank. As part of her job she is also given room and board.

I tried to do some research on my own about if she needs to file a tax return, and if so how she would go about it, and I found things in the tax code that indicated there's some kind of compensation limit as an expat, but I'm not sure if her lodging would need to be included in that (or how to determine the worth of that in $US). I know that this is a pretty complex question so I'm just hoping someone can give me a rough idea of what to do, or what sites to look at, or what firms' tax professionals would be best equipped to handle this. My dad is used to doing all of the family tax returns on his own, but if I could come to him with some solid guidance on the steps we need to take, he may relent on this. Particularly if the small amount of interest she earns on her BofA accounts need to be reported in any way.

Thanks for any help or links anyone can give!

Edit: I am poking around here and it looks to me like, as she is single, she needs to file if she's earned more than 9,500 USD during the year (including lodging), but since her tax home is in a foreign country she qualifies for a foreign income / housing exclusion of up to $92,900 in 2011. Since she doesn't earn that much over there, and her US income is probably like, $50 from her savings account, it sounds like maybe she doesn't have to file at all? Does this sound right? Thanks again for the help.

If she earned less than $9,500 in a given year she does not need to file.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I sold $12,000 in stocks which were gifted to me in October for paying off student loans. Will I have a huge tax bill for that?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

burritonegro posted:

I sold $12,000 in stocks which were gifted to me in October for paying off student loans. Will I have a huge tax bill for that?

You get the donor's basis when you receive a gift, so it depends on how much they paid for the stocks you sold.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pretty simple question hopefully: I e-filed a few weeks ago, the "Where's my refund" site says I'll receive my refund by direct deposit on the 21st of february... It's the 23rd, and the status hasn't changed, and no (refund) money has been deposited in my account.
Before you ask: I have no outstanding debts with the government (Child support, Back taxes, whatever), My taxes were easy and straightforward (I'm 22, filed single independent, made around $27k, getting $616 back), and I triple checked my routing number to my bank account. I'm with Wells Fargo.

I just want my money back so I can use it as delicious, delicious debt relief!

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

furushotakeru posted:

If she earned less than $9,500 in a given year she does not need to file.

But is that if she earned less than $9,500 in the US, or if she earned less than that worldwide? She definitely earned more than that in the country she's in, and based on what you said earlier I'm guessing it's worldwide income that conts.

And in that case it sounds like we might need to do some filings for prior years as well...

Thank you all again for the expertise; I was starting to really go in circles.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Sophia posted:

But is that if she earned less than $9,500 in the US, or if she earned less than that worldwide? She definitely earned more than that in the country she's in, and based on what you said earlier I'm guessing it's worldwide income that conts.

And in that case it sounds like we might need to do some filings for prior years as well...

Thank you all again for the expertise; I was starting to really go in circles.

Worldwide income.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

spouse posted:

Pretty simple question hopefully: I e-filed a few weeks ago, the "Where's my refund" site says I'll receive my refund by direct deposit on the 21st of february... It's the 23rd, and the status hasn't changed, and no (refund) money has been deposited in my account.
Before you ask: I have no outstanding debts with the government (Child support, Back taxes, whatever), My taxes were easy and straightforward (I'm 22, filed single independent, made around $27k, getting $616 back), and I triple checked my routing number to my bank account. I'm with Wells Fargo.

I just want my money back so I can use it as delicious, delicious debt relief!

They've been running about a week behind in my experience. I was 'supposed' to get my return Feb 15th, but it didn't clear until the 22nd. It showed up as a pending transaction on the 17th though which is weird.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

skipdogg posted:

They've been running about a week behind in my experience. I was 'supposed' to get my return Feb 15th, but it didn't clear until the 22nd. It showed up as a pending transaction on the 17th though which is weird.

Good to know... Guess I'll wait. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary
May 21, 2004
Due to some uncertainty over tuition reimbursement I may owe up to $400 for 2009. Howeever I'm not sure if I actually owe this amount or anything at all. Would I have heard something by now if I owed?