Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I feel like I'm missing something but I might as well just use my upgrade on a "free" Nexus S, right? At least in this scenario.
Here's the thing. You'll probably want to upgrade from the Nexus S sometime before your two year contract is up.

If you're cool with the idea of picking up a Nexus S for free with subsidy, then selling it a few months later when the Galaxy Nexus hits (or whatever device) and paying retail for that, it's certainly not an unreasonable option, although you might incur greater overall cost than if you pick up a used Nexus S now, and use the subsidy in a month or two on the phone you really want.

Flipping an iPhone 4S for a used Nexus S probably reduces your overall cost, but is a bigger hassle. Ultimately it depends on how comfortable you are spending money towards a phone you're likely to replace sooner-than-later, and how much you're willing to sink in that process.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Country/Provider: Verizon/USA

Current contract status: Expires at the end of this year

Budget (phone/plan): Not much!

Features I know I want: Here's where it gets interesting.

Currently I carry around a phone (LG Octane) and an iPod. I use the iPod for music and movies and rarely other things (stopwatch, alarm, pictures). I'm interested in combining these things into one device, but I don't want a data plan. I don't want to pay for a data plan but more importantly I simply don't want to have the internet on my phone. I guess I'm looking for smartphone like functionality (apps for media player stuff and maybe other tools) with iPod like storage (room for lots of movies and music) but in terms of wireless capabilities I'm only looking for calling and maybe wi-fi. I will also say that I don't know a thing about phones, so maybe this is easy - I could just buy an android or iPhone or whatever and then not get a data plan. Is this possible?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Grifter posted:

Country/Provider: Verizon/USA

Current contract status: Expires at the end of this year

Budget (phone/plan): Not much!

Features I know I want: Here's where it gets interesting.

Currently I carry around a phone (LG Octane) and an iPod. I use the iPod for music and movies and rarely other things (stopwatch, alarm, pictures). I'm interested in combining these things into one device, but I don't want a data plan. I don't want to pay for a data plan but more importantly I simply don't want to have the internet on my phone. I guess I'm looking for smartphone like functionality (apps for media player stuff and maybe other tools) with iPod like storage (room for lots of movies and music) but in terms of wireless capabilities I'm only looking for calling and maybe wi-fi. I will also say that I don't know a thing about phones, so maybe this is easy - I could just buy an android or iPhone or whatever and then not get a data plan. Is this possible?

That is certainly not possible on Verizon. The only carrier remotely friendly about letting you have a smartphone sans data is tmobile, and you must buy the phone outright or used to do it. Honestly, stick with your current combo.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Duckman2008 posted:

That is certainly not possible on Verizon. The only carrier remotely friendly about letting you have a smartphone sans data is tmobile, and you must buy the phone outright or used to do it. Honestly, stick with your current combo.
drat, too bad. Thanks for the info. I was hoping for something like a phone that I could make calls from but I would put apps and media stuff on it by plugging it in, like I do with music for my iPod now.

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
Okay so I got my G2 today. (Can't use it till I get home after work) I want to put mp3s on it and play them in my car. Is there a cheap fm transmitter, or what is the recommended path?

Antagonism
Jul 28, 2010
Country/Network: UK/O2
Current Contract: PAYG, looking to switch to either an O2 contract or a GiffGaff sim
Budget: Contract: £15-£20 per month; GiffGaff sim: £10 per month + £150 towards phone
Features: Decent camera, some web browsing (mostly e-mail, news sites and forums)

I have been on O2 PAYG for many years and have typically only used a mobile phone for calls, texts and a few photos. However, my trusty old Nokia N73 has finally bitten the dust so I’ve decided it’s time to get something a bit more up to date. Additionally, I have found that my phone usage has increased (I can easily go through a £10-15 top-up in a month these days, and would probably use it even more with a contract), and some light web browsing would be useful, so I have therefore decided that a contract may be a better route.

As for phones, my family are prominent iPhone users, and I have tried them myself but have never been particularly wowed. I have recently tried a Lumia 710 and 800 in an O2 store and was very impressed, and have played with a Wildfire S owned by a friend which also left a positive impression. I’ll consider other phones though; just a good web browser and a decent camera are essential.

I have looked on the O2 website and the cheapest option is a 24 month £13.50 contract with 50 minutes, 250 texts and 100mb of data, with a free Wildfire S, although I think I will need more texts. Another option I am considering is a 24 month £18.50 contract with 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 100mb of data, and the free phones include the Wildfire S and the Lumia 710, with the Lumia 800 having an additional cost of £59.99. EDIT: Having looked on the website further I have noticed that the Xperia Arc S is also available on this contract for free, and the camera would make this my preferred choice so far.

Another possibility would be to get a GiffGaff sim (the £10 goody bag that includes 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data) and buy a phone outright, ideally spending no more than £150 on the phone. The Wildfire S is about £130, and I suspect buying this or a similar phone along with the GiffGaff sim would be better value overall and won’t tie me to a 24 month contract.

Currently I’m torn between getting the Xperia Arc S on a contract and the Wildfire S/GiffGaff sim combination. Any guidance or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Antagonism fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 25, 2012

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
German goon here, and I'm going to be traveling to the US (Tucson area, if that makes a difference) shortly. I'm going to spend about three weeks there, and that's just the amount of time where I'm going to die without a cell phone, but can't commit to any fancy plans. Here in Germany, we have an abundance of cheaply available "pay as you go" plans, but I'm having trouble finding anything of the like in the US. I'll be doing a minimum of calling, some texting, and - if that's a cheap option at all - using the mobile etherwebs for e-mails.

TL; DR: I need a cheap as can be pay-as-you-go plan (sim card only) in the US that will maybe allow me to get a data package as well. Thanks in advance, kind goons.

Edit:
I should also mention that I'm using an LG Optimus 7 phone, and I'm loving confused by the frequencies your carriers use. With quad-band for GSM and five frequencies for 3G I should be fine, right?

Looks like you're right about it only being tri-band for UMTS. From the plans you linked, it seems the GoPhone without a monthly fee might be a good fit for me, and I'd have the option of slapping on a $15 data pack (which will also make texting unnecessary).
Thanks, your input is much appreciated!
vvvvv

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 25, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Badly Jester posted:

I should also mention that I'm using an LG Optimus 7 phone, and I'm loving confused by the frequencies your carriers use. With quad-band for GSM and five frequencies for 3G I should be fine, right?
Is it actually pentaband UMTS? I'm reading it as supporting three UMTS bands on the international model, and two on the North American one. Although both support the 1900 band that (some of) AT&T's 3G service is on.

Anyways, we have two nationwide GSM providers, AT&T and T-Mobile. Either will work for GSM service, but only AT&T's 3G service will work on your phone.

For AT&T, you want to look at their GoPhone prepaid options. I think the $50/mo unlimited everything option should work with smartphones, although it's relatively new so I don't know the specifics of it, might be worth asking in the AT&T thread. Also, I assume that "unlimited data" is throttled, but you should be able to get at least 500 MB unthrottled without much trouble.

For T-Mobile, you want to look at their Monthly4G prepaid, particularly the $30/mo 100 minutes (10¢ thereafter), unlimited texts, and unlimited (5 GB pre-throttle) data. Now, on your phone this will be GSM/EDGE service only, but if you're looking to cheap out it might be good enough for emails, particularly if you can supplement with WiFi. There's a lot of folks on the $30/mo option and it's definitely compatible with smartphones.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
OK, here is what I got: Wife and I just signed up for Sprint's Family plan. Wife got an iPhone 4s, I am really wanting to wait until 4g LTE comes out in the summer to use my 2 year activation credit thing. I'm coming from a Tracfone POS $20 phone, so I'm a bit behind in the Andriod arms race but I am currently looking to get a Nexus S off eBay or something? What should I be looking to pay - is there anything else I should be looking at instead? Only thing I really care about is Android and getting mah tether on and decent battery life.. once the 4G LTE poo poo comes out I can get something nice.

Failing all that, is there a cheap rear end phone I can get from Walmart or Newegg to tide moe over until then?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ceros_X posted:

OK, here is what I got: Wife and I just signed up for Sprint's Family plan. Wife got an iPhone 4s, I am really wanting to wait until 4g LTE comes out in the summer to use my 2 year activation credit thing. I'm coming from a Tracfone POS $20 phone, so I'm a bit behind in the Andriod arms race but I am currently looking to get a Nexus S off eBay or something? What should I be looking to pay - is there anything else I should be looking at instead? Only thing I really care about is Android and getting mah tether on and decent battery life.. once the 4G LTE poo poo comes out I can get something nice.

Failing all that, is there a cheap rear end phone I can get from Walmart or Newegg to tide moe over until then?

You're pretty spot on. Make sure to get a Nexus S 4G for Sprint off eBay. Then sell that later on, and get a Galaxy Nexus which will also be Sprint's first LTE phone.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Country/Provider: USA, Currently with AT&T but I hate them for crap reception at the house and want to change providers. Problem is I have a grandfathered in unlimited data plan and a discount so I'm only paying around $70.00 per month on an iphone and go through a good 7+ gb of data a month which makes other providers less attractive.

Current contract status: Newly out of contract, just paying monthly.

Budget (phone/plan): Under 300 for phone, would like to keep plan under $80.00 per month.

Features I know I want: Smart phone, android as the 4s has no appeal even coming off an iphone 3gs. Needs are fairly basic but I live off the phone for google maps, music, and keeping in touch.

Trying to decide if the phones AT&T offers are worth the upgrade and renewal cost while hoping they pick up a better signal than the current phone, if I should get a 4gs and dump it on ebay using the cash to pickup an unlocked phone such as a Droid Razr, or just bite the bullet and move to another provider.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Exinos posted:

Problem is I have a grandfathered in unlimited data plan and a discount so I'm only paying around $70.00 per month on an iphone and go through a good 7+ gb of data a month which makes other providers less attractive.
Normally this would be my reply:

"AT&T has been rather unfriendly recently to unlimited data users of any volume. Folks have received warning that using ~2.5 GB/mo consistutes the top 5% of data users and have been coercing them to switch to the new 3 GB/mo tiered plan for the same price. So it's not clear exactly how much value is left in an AT&T grandfathered unlimited-data plan.

Verizon is presently running a promo where you can get 4 GB/mo of data for the same price ($30/mo) as their standard 2 GB/mo offering when you purchase an LTE phone. If you use Google Voice for SMS, you can get a Galaxy Nexus with 4 GB of data for $300 down (less elsewhere, like AmazonWirless) and $70/mo on an individual plan. That's probably your best bet."

Except, somehow despite signal issues you're still pulling 7 GB a month? And AT&T hasn't harassed you over that? Really?

If you need 7+ GB/mo of data, then the $50/mo for 10 GB data plan on Verizon suffices, but that pushes your monthly fee up to $90/mo. I'd consider first whether that much data is really necessary.

Unfortunately the downside to the "wait and see" approach is that Verizon's double-data promo might end soon. I don't know when, but "March" is logically a potential deadline.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 27, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Except, somehow despite signal issues you're still pulling 7 GB a month? And AT&T hasn't harassed you over that? Really?
I've heard that their harassment is highly contingent on area. Like, if you push a couple fatty e-mail attachments in midtown Manhattan, expect to hear from them, but you could torrent Linux ISOs for days in Bumfuck, Nowheresville and not get messed with.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
7gb is on the high end but have hit it several times and never get crap from AT&T. Might help that it's on an enterprise line with that discount. The phone basically streams pandora between the time I leave the house in the morning until I get home while also doing text, email, web browsing, and so on throughout the day as well.

The problem with verizon is that 4gb is likely going to be too little, 10gb is too much but what I would have to choose to be safe. Adding in text messages I'm looking around a 33% price increase for provider change. At that cost I could get an unlocked phone and no commintment or get a 4s or something on contact renewal, flip it for cash, and then use that towards the unlocked phone.

Anyone know if the samsung devices that AT&T offers are worth a drat? Was also looking at an unlocked razr GSM but not sure if it's something I can use on my network. That phone seems to get high ratings for grabbing signal where other devices have trouble combined with a high build quality (Gorilla Glass, less plastic) and was hoping someone might have information on them as my search skills are failing miserably.

Both the Galaxy S2 skyrocket and Note seem to be getting decent ratings but the all plastic just made them feel cheap while they're using snapdragon and every review site seems to despise that chip. Looking for real world experience through goons.

Also open to other options but have no experience with the other providers such as t-mobile or sprint.

Exinos fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 28, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Exinos posted:

7gb is on the high end but have hit it several times and never get crap from AT&T. Might help that it's on an enterprise line with that discount.
Sounds pretty cushy then. I'd be hesitant to give it up.

Exinos posted:

Anyone know if the samsung devices that AT&T offers are worth a drat?
Right now, pretty much any Android device that's not the Galaxy Nexus, or possibly Nexus S isn't "worth a drat." It's a harsh but true statement. Just check the number of folks in the Devices who purchased nice 2011 devices who "downgraded" to a Nexus S in the past week or so just so they could get reasonable updates.

That said, I expect Google will sell the GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus domestically at some point, just a matter of when.

Exinos posted:

Also open to other options but have no experience with the other providers such as t-mobile or sprint.
Now isn't the right time with Sprint. Their 3G network is overtaxed, WiMAX service is dying, and their LTE network isn't online yet. They may be a reasonable option once they ship the LTE Galaxy Nexus and their LTE network has some presence, but they're just not compelling right now.

T-Mo is liked for their cheap plans, but they don't have quite the same network coverage as AT&T.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I'm going to be looking for a new plan. Our current one feels too expensive for how much we use. My fiancée and I are saving for a wedding, so we're trying to trim the fat out of our budget.

Country/Provider: USA. We currently have Sprint, but we're willing to switch to whomever to get a good deal when our 2-year contract is up.

Current contract status: 2-year contract ending on 6/4/12. Everything Data Share 1500 Plan with two phones (Both HTC Evo 4G). Sprint is letting us use their $150 discount on a phone on 4/1 with another 2-year agreement.

Budget (phone/plan): For the new phones, I want to spend around $200 for each one. Buying used to keep costs down is an option worth considering. I would like the plan to be as cheap possible keeping in mind my usage. Current charges:

Shared Plan
Everything Data -1500 Shared Anytime Minutes $110.00
Business Discount Sprint 18% -$19.80
Primary Phone
Premium Data add-on charge $10.00
Secondary Phone
Everything Data - 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes $19.99
Total $130.19

Features I know I want: Email. Text. Data. GPS. We really like our HTC Evo's, but they're breaking down (her's is cracked from dropping it, and mine likes to reset whenever I run an app for more than a minutes.)
For the type of plan that would best fit us, here's a breakdown of my trends combining both phones per month based on the past year:

Average/Max
Anytime minutes: 81/159
Nights/Weekends: 27/66
Mobile to Mobile: 419/509
Texts: 541/564
Data (GB): 1.4/2.1

My company offers discounts to Sprint (18%), AT&T (21%), and Verizon (20%) off of base prices for plans. Are there different discounts that are easily obtainable that would beat these?

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raimondi posted:

I'm going to be looking for a new plan. Our current one feels too expensive for how much we use. My fiancée and I are saving for a wedding, so we're trying to trim the fat out of our budget.

Country/Provider: USA. We currently have Sprint, but we're willing to switch to whomever to get a good deal when our 2-year contract is up.

Current contract status: 2-year contract ending on 6/4/12. Everything Data Share 1500 Plan with two phones (Both HTC Evo 4G). Sprint is letting us use their $150 discount on a phone on 4/1 with another 2-year agreement.

Budget (phone/plan): For the new phones, I want to spend under $200 for each one. Buying used isn't that big of a deal for me. I would like the plan to be as cheap possible keeping in mind my usage. Current charges:

Shared Plan
Everything Data -1500 Shared Anytime Minutes $110.00
Business Discount Sprint 18% -$19.80
Primary Phone
Secondary Phone
Everything Data - 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes $19.99
Total $130.19

Features I know I want: Email. Text. Data. GPS. Here's a breakdown of my trends combining both phones per month based on the past year:

Average/Max
Anytime minutes: 81/159
Nights/Weekends: 27/66
Mobile to Mobile: 419/509
Texts: 541/564
Data (GB): 1.4/2.1

My company offers discounts to Sprint (18%), AT&T (21%), and Verizon (20%) off of base prices for plans. Are there different discounts that are easily obtainable that would beat these?

Between Sprint, Verizon and AT&T I don't know if you will find much lower than that.

Verizon: Verizon doesn't offer anymobile anytime, so you would likely look at 1400 mins.
1400 mins: $89.99
Data: $30 a line for 2GB, 4GB if you get a 4G LTE phone.
Discount goes off of $89.99 = $17 off
Total: $89 + $60 - $17 = $132

Fyi: This is with no texting through Verizon. You can get free text messaging via Google Voice, just keep in mind Google Voice doesn't always play nice with Verizon mobile to mobile. Texting other wise is an extra $30 a month (for both).

AT&T: Pretty much the same thing, but the discount goes off of the data (I think). AT&T only offers anymobile anytime if you get text messaging unfortunately.

Total: $89.99 + $60 (3GB of data each) - $31 = $118.

That's still factoring in the same Google Voice factors, and assuming I am correct on the discount.

So you could save a few $$ with AT&T, overall they are about the same. After that it comes down coverage really and who you want to go with.

Check TMobile coverage in your area, if you get TMo coverage they are a good option, but i do not know their current plans well enough.

Fyi on Sprint if your eligibility is April 1st your contract is up sometime in June. Phone wise you should either get the Galaxy Nexus (tba on sprint, out on Verizon) or the iPhone 4S. Optional windows phone 7 devices on AT&T. Any other choices right now are not a good idea (or not the best idea). Your Evo has a trade in at Sprint for $90, probably close to the same elsewhere, and you could sell the Evo on craigslist for at least $150.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 28, 2012

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

So you could save a few $$ with AT&T, overall they are about the same. After that it comes down coverage really and who you want to go with.
Alright, thanks for the info. I'm a little ignorant on available plans, so I was hoping for something cheaper considering the plan we have is for 1500 anytime minutes and we use a combined total of 81 on average.

Duckman2008 posted:

Your Evo has a trade in at Sprint for $90, probably close to the same elsewhere, and you could sell the Evo on craigslist for at least $150.
When we do go to trade in our phones, will they give us $90 depending on the condition? Hers has a crack on the screen. Also mine is rooted, will they accept that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raimondi posted:

Alright, thanks for the info. I'm a little ignorant on available plans, so I was hoping for something cheaper considering the plan we have is for 1500 anytime minutes and we use a combined total of 81 on average.

When we do go to trade in our phones, will they give us $90 depending on the condition? Hers has a crack on the screen. Also mine is rooted, will they accept that?

The crack kills the credit by at least half, and they do not care that the phone is rooted.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I figure this is the right thread for that:

I am currently deciding which smartphone I would want to buy/use. I have never owned one, and those are the ones I can choose from (for now), listed in the order from cheapest to the most expensive:
Samsung Galaxy Gio
Nokia 500
HTC Wildfire S
Samsung Galaxy Ace
HTC Desire Z
and Samsung Galaxy S+, which doesn't seem to have a wiki page, so here's a page
of a plus-less one.
No iPhone (this particular carrier does not seem to sell it).

I'm not from the US, so I doubt the carrier would be recognizable, thus the list.

Out of those, only Desire Z has a QWERTY keyboard, but I have no idea how comfortable it would be in the long run. The phone would be used for normal phone things (calling, SMS, MMS, possibly MP3 player), and from the smartphone side: e-mail, reading Internet pages, watching movies from the Internet, using it as an ad hoc wi-fi modem. I know that Android has a lot of apps for all occasions, but I don't know if they are all usable on every phone, or are they mostly tailored to specific ones.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 2, 2012

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

I figure this is the right thread for that:

I am currently deciding which smartphone I would want to buy/use. I have never owned one, and those are the ones I can choose from (for now), listed in the order from cheapest to the most expensive:
Samsung Galaxy Gio
Nokia 500
HTC Wildfire S
Samsung Galaxy Ace
HTC Desire Z
and Samsung Galaxy S+, which doesn't seem to have a wiki page, so here's a page
of a plus-less one.
No iPhone (this particular carrier does not seem to sell it).

I'm not from the US, so I doubt the carrier would be recognizable, thus the list.

Out of those, only Desire Z has a QWERTY keyboard, but I have no idea how comfortable it would be in the long run. The phone would be used for normal phone things (calling, SMS, MMS, possibly MP3 player), and from the smartphone side: e-mail, reading Internet pages, watching movies from the Internet, using it as an ad hoc wi-fi modem. I know that Android has a lot of apps for all occasions, but I don't know if they are all usable on every phone, or are they mostly tailored to specific ones.

Couple of questions for you, so that you can get a better recommendation:

1) Is this what you're referring to when you say 'Galaxy S Plus'?

2) In US $, roughly how much would each of these units cost over there? What's your budget and how far above that are you willing to go?

3) What's your carrier? You might be surprised if the best option for you is actually on another carrier, if you're willing to switch.

Regarding app compatibility on phones, it's not so much that Android apps are tailored to specific phones - more of certain apps requiring hardware/software specs that not all Android phones can match.

For example, an app requiring Android OS version 2.2+ will obviously not work on a phone that only has version 2.1. A hardware example: a homescreen theme app that requires that a screen have a certain level of pixel density may not work correctly if used on a phone that has low screen specs.

The general solution to that is to get the best specs, hardware-wise and software-wise, possible for your money, to minimize app incompatibilities.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 3, 2012

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Are there restrictions on porting numbers if its a prepaid vs contract?

Right now I have a family plan on Sprint. I'd like to keep 2 of 3 of those numbers on Sprint, but move my number on to a prepaid like Virgin Mobile.

I would also like the ability to GO BACK to Sprint with that same number. I thought I read somewhere that numbers could only be ported TO prepaid carriers, but not the other way. Is this true?

If so, would porting my number to google voice be a solution, if I wanted to go back and forth between Sprint and a prepaid carrier?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

anakha posted:

Abort abort!

Samsung I9001 Galaxy S Plus posted:

Qualcomm MSM8255T Snapdragon

My recommendation:

If it's at all possible to in your market, get a Nexus S. Used, doesn't matter, whatever. Note the GT-I9023 model has an LCD screen instead of AMOLED, which makes it a bit cheaper and some folks don't like, but other folks actually prefer. It's a tossup.

If getting a Nexus S isn't an option, I might recommend getting a used, regular old Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 and promptly load either CyanogenMod 7, or even a CyanogenMod 9 alpha build on it. Doing so requires playing the "phone hacking" game a bit. But the original SGS device is a surprisingly good cheap used device, if modified appropriately.

Otherwise, the Desire Z is a pretty good option, particuarly if you're interested in a hardware keyboard. But otherwise, the other Android options on the list are paying too much for too little.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CatchrNdRy posted:

Are there restrictions on porting numbers if its a prepaid vs contract?

Right now I have a family plan on Sprint. I'd like to keep 2 of 3 of those numbers on Sprint, but move my number on to a prepaid like Virgin Mobile.

I would also like the ability to GO BACK to Sprint with that same number. I thought I read somewhere that numbers could only be ported TO prepaid carriers, but not the other way. Is this true?

If so, would porting my number to google voice be a solution, if I wanted to go back and forth between Sprint and a prepaid carrier?

Honestly, porting a number to Google voice gives you freedom and saves you a lot of hassle. Def win win in this case.

If you wanted to you could port back and forth without too many problems, but its easier to port to Google voice. So do that.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
Pretty simple, just looking for a good all-around "smart" phone in the $100-$150 range if possible.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

anakha posted:

Couple of questions for you, so that you can get a better recommendation:

It seems so, looking at the general specs, though I can't find any info about Android version of the one I can buy

quote:

2) In US $, roughly how much would each of these units cost over there? What's your budget and how far above that are you willing to go?

The first two might as well be free, and the rest cost - respectively - around 35, 65, 120 and 230$. I do not want to spend more than 150$, but I could go up to the price of this SG+, if its specs are worth it.

quote:

3) What's your carrier? You might be surprised if the best option for you is actually on another carrier, if you're willing to switch.

I don't know how much that will tell you, but: the carrier I am currently using is P4 Play - their phones are generally more expensive and their line-up smaller, but they make up for it with their generally better plan (minute- and data-wise). The other options are T-Mobile (which has cheaper phones, but worse plans), Orange and Plus - those being Polish carriers might not really help with the question, and I don't know how much (if any) plans and available phones match up with their branches in other countries.

quote:

Regarding app compatibility on phones, it's not so much that Android apps are tailored to specific phones - more of certain apps requiring hardware/software specs that not all Android phones can match.

For example, an app requiring Android OS version 2.2+ will obviously not work on a phone that only has version 2.1. A hardware example: a homescreen theme app that requires that a screen have a certain level of pixel density may not work correctly if used on a phone that has low screen specs.

The general solution to that is to get the best specs, hardware-wise and software-wise, possible for your money, to minimize app incompatibilities.

I understand that that the more powerful the phone, the better, but I don't really know if I need one of the more powerful phones, since I have no idea how the specs translate to performance.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My recommendation:

If it's at all possible to in your market, get a Nexus S. Used, doesn't matter, whatever. Note the GT-I9023 model has an LCD screen instead of AMOLED, which makes it a bit cheaper and some folks don't like, but other folks actually prefer. It's a tossup.

If getting a Nexus S isn't an option, I might recommend getting a used, regular old Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 and promptly load either CyanogenMod 7, or even a CyanogenMod 9 alpha build on it. Doing so requires playing the "phone hacking" game a bit. But the original SGS device is a surprisingly good cheap used device, if modified appropriately.

Otherwise, the Desire Z is a pretty good option, particuarly if you're interested in a hardware keyboard. But otherwise, the other Android options on the list are paying too much for too little.

I would like to avoid any hackery, but I might leave that as the final option. The Nexus S seems to be available, but not to me:confused: I will have to investigate. I quite like the look of Desire Z, but I will have to play with the keyboard more to actually know if I would want it.

I will still look at other carriers' offer, of course, but just renewing contract is the easiest way out and :effort: But still, I will have to live with my choice for 2 years, so I want to make it a good one.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Szurumbur posted:

I understand that that the more powerful the phone, the better, but I don't really know if I need one of the more powerful phones, since I have no idea how the specs translate to performance.
"More power = better" is a fallacy. The #1 criterion of an Android phone (or any phone) is "does it meet my needs?" The #2 criterion is "is it well supported?"

The problem is that many manufacturers pump out phones, particularly lower-end Android phones, and follow it up with zero support of any kind. If you're lucky, you'll get a device that works well, but won't get any updates. If you're unlucky, you get a device that neither works well out of the box, nor gets any updates to make it work better.

The update issue is a particular problem with Android right now because the latest version, Ice Cream Sandwich, is a significant (the most to date) update to Android and we're already starting to see apps (e.g., Chrome) that only support it and later version. The problem is that only two phones actually officially run ICS right now, the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S (which isn't the latest/most powerful hardware, but is well supported).

So if you buy a mid-low end Android device today that ships with Gingerbread, there's a good chance that you'll be behind-the-curve the entirety of the two years you use it.

The reason I bring up the hacking option, although it is less preferable, is simply that used Galaxy S (GT-I9100) devices aren't terribly expensive, and they're similar enough to a Nexus S that folks have badgered them into running Ice Cream Sandwich rather nicely. It's not as convenient as the real thing (Nexus S), but I'd personally rather go that route than resign my self to being stuck on a Gingerbread device for two years.

Just food for thought.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

JoeWindetc posted:

Pretty simple, just looking for a good all-around "smart" phone in the $100-$150 range if possible.

Nexus S off of eBay for like $130-$150.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

Responses

Based on what you've given me, I'd echo what ExcessBlarg said and try to grab a hold of a Nexus S.

If you can get one from any of the other carriers in Poland for around the same price as that Galaxy S Plus (and still end up paying around the same monthly bill as you're paying now), I say go for it. Otherwise, try to look for secondhand deals for it.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Ceros_X posted:

Almost no chance. Expect to spend $225-275 for a Nexus S.

Still, worth it.

Those of you on a budget should seriously consider the hacked Galaxy S option. The Vibrant and Captivate are really great hardware, and are available seriously dirt cheap secondhand. This might be shocking, but it actually doesn't take a computer science degree to load CyanogenMod on them and to enjoy free top-shelf support forever after. It just takes a bit of patience and the ability to read some directions.

The fact that it's possible to own a smartphone that runs the poo poo out of ICS (and has a killer DAC, to boot!) for a hundred bucks and a little bit of effort is honestly flabbergasting. It's a really easy choice.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

kalibar posted:

Almost no chance. Expect to spend $225-275 for a Nexus S.

IDK, this is what I just got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180828454850

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ceros_X posted:

IDK, this is what I just got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180828454850

That's Sprint-specific, though.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

anakha posted:

That's Sprint-specific, though.

Yeah, dude didn't say what carrier he is looking for, unlocked ones are a bit more. Nexus S is still the recommended phone but might be out of his price range otherwise.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, carrier-subbed phones depreciate really hard (except for iPhones, which hold on well). The GSM models are a good bit higher.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc

Ceros_X posted:

Yeah, dude didn't say what carrier he is looking for, unlocked ones are a bit more. Nexus S is still the recommended phone but might be out of his price range otherwise.

Yeah, sorry, need an unlocked GSM phone.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

JoeWindetc posted:

Yeah, sorry, need an unlocked GSM phone.

If you're willing to purchase secondhand, go with the recommendation below:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I might recommend getting a used, regular old Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 and promptly load either CyanogenMod 7, or even a CyanogenMod 9 alpha build on it. Doing so requires playing the "phone hacking" game a bit. But the original SGS device is a surprisingly good cheap used device, if modified appropriately.

If you must have brand new - the best options I can think of at that price point would be either one of the ZTE Blade variants (if available in your country) or the LG Optimus One. Both have CyanogenMod 7 support as well.

If possible, though, I'd recommend saving up a bit more and going for a used GSM Nexus S.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
So I asked around for Nexus S - none of the carrier had it. Both Nexus S and Samsung S are a bit too expensive for now, and a phoneless contract (provided I would buy a phone off the net) would not be that much cheaper (since I would have to buy data transfer, and there are other incentives), and iPhone - if it even were available at the moment - is stupidly expensive, though I suppose it is a quality product. What I ended up doing was buying HTC Desire Z, since I was mistaken and it actually costs around 25$. I figured it will make a good starter smartphone, I like the keyboard, and BLarg said it's pretty good, so I will ease myself up to the Android phones on this one.

When I will be comfortable enough using a smartphone (and paying around one lowest legal wage for one), I will find some Nexus S or Samsung S on eBay and buy it used. Though after playing with Desire Z for a while I do not think I need much more advanced phone than this.

I'm thankful for your responses and the time you took to advise me (I hope you do not feel I wasted it) I sincerely learnt much, I just do not feel ready to start hacking my way through the phones, and even Desire Z now feels overwhelming and really powerful, compared to my old phone :shobon:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Ceros_X posted:

Not for a GSM version, especially AT&T's (i9020A).

The $225-285 price range that Kalibar quoted is pretty accurate for that model at least from what I saw when I was shopping around for one the past couple of weeks.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Szurumbur posted:

Though after playing with Desire Z for a while I do not think I need much more advanced phone than this.
This actually isn't what people are saying at all. We recommend the Nexus S wholesale because most phone buyers aren't enthusiasts that want to stay on top of community development efforts for their device. Not because it's any more or less "advanced" than other devices up for sale.

I don't want to repost the same diatribe I always launch into on this subject, so I'll just share a short anecdote that illustrates the point. A friend of mine got her first smartphone a few months ago, but before she did so one of our mutual friends said "you should talk to kalibar first, he'll tell you what to buy." There's actually not even any need to talk to me about it; the answer is always "Nexus S or iPhone unless you're an enthusiast." She didn't bother, and instead got an HTC Inspire from AT&T "because it was only 99 dollars." Last night at the bar, she says "hey I have a phone question for you" and asks me how to make the Blockbuster Video app go away and how to remove all the other uninstallable shitware she didn't want in the first place. I tell her that for that model it's totally possible but she's going to have to do some research and spend a couple hours on it. She's like "really, you mean there's just no way to remove them right here from the phone" and is totally perplexed when I say no. In a few months when everything's shipping with ICS or maybe Jelly Bean, I can almost guarantee she's going to feel like her phone is "pretty old" in spite of its hardware more than likely being capable of running current versions of Android.

This cautionary tale is why we harp so much on getting a supported device. The Desire Z is supported by CyanogenMod, but you have to make sure you're actually willing to go through that process, or you're going to be getting a second-rate experience... and paying the same monthly bill as customers who aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

kalibar posted:

This actually isn't what people are saying at all. We recommend the Nexus S wholesale because most phone buyers aren't enthusiasts that want to stay on top of community development efforts for their device. Not because it's any more or less "advanced" than other devices up for sale.

I don't want to repost the same diatribe I always launch into on this subject, so I'll just share a short anecdote that illustrates the point. A friend of mine got her first smartphone a few months ago, but before she did so one of our mutual friends said "you should talk to kalibar first, he'll tell you what to buy." There's actually not even any need to talk to me about it; the answer is always "Nexus S or iPhone unless you're an enthusiast." She didn't bother, and instead got an HTC Inspire from AT&T "because it was only 99 dollars." Last night at the bar, she says "hey I have a phone question for you" and asks me how to make the Blockbuster Video app go away and how to remove all the other uninstallable shitware she didn't want in the first place. I tell her that for that model it's totally possible but she's going to have to do some research and spend a couple hours on it. She's like "really, you mean there's just no way to remove them right here from the phone" and is totally perplexed when I say no. In a few months when everything's shipping with ICS or maybe Jelly Bean, I can almost guarantee she's going to feel like her phone is "pretty old" in spite of its hardware more than likely being capable of running current versions of Android.

This cautionary tale is why we harp so much on getting a supported device. The Desire Z is supported by CyanogenMod, but you have to make sure you're actually willing to go through that process, or you're going to be getting a second-rate experience... and paying the same monthly bill as customers who aren't.

Do these phone pickup lines actually work? Inquiring goons want to know.

Edit: I do appreciate the recommendation of the Nexus S - it is hard to get into phones without having a good one and I am glad I had a one stop shop answer on what one to get when I asked.