Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

tarepanda posted:

Just bring up "soda" vs "pop" vs "cola" vs "coke" and watch people swarm out of the woodwork. I think we had a fun discussion about it a few months ago.

Ugh, pop. And coke. I'm from the south and even lived in Georgia for a while but it blew my mind when I was told people there order everything as 'Coke'. It was just 'soft drink' for me for a long time.

Now that I'm in Iowa, here's a fun regional grammatical weirdness: Needs xed. For example, straight from a billboard outside: "Does your sign need serviced?" Iowans don't notice this as being wrong at all, but my outsider brain sees the mistake of not saying either "Does your sign need servicing" or "Does your sign need to be serviced?"

It's all over the place. "That server needs fixed." augh it just grinds at my soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Golbez posted:

Ugh, pop. And coke. I'm from the south and even lived in Georgia for a while but it blew my mind when I was told people there order everything as 'Coke'. It was just 'soft drink' for me for a long time.

Now that I'm in Iowa, here's a fun regional grammatical weirdness: Needs xed. For example, straight from a billboard outside: "Does your sign need serviced?" Iowans don't notice this as being wrong at all, but my outsider brain sees the mistake of not saying either "Does your sign need servicing" or "Does your sign need to be serviced?"

It's all over the place. "That server needs fixed." augh it just grinds at my soul.

It's not just Iowa, either; it happens in a lot of places in the Midwest. I worked at a music camp for a few years during college, and I especially noticed it from people from Ohio. However, Michigan generally seems to have avoided that specific quirk.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I just finished running an interview weekend for applicants to my school's neuroscience PhD program. Today I discovered that someone registered my first and last name as a gmail address and was asking the applicants for really specific info, stuff that they're not supposed to give out, such as their order of preference for schools and such.

Is there anything I can do about this? If it's one of the other applicants I want to know!

Edit: annd it looks like everyone else has already sent in the info. Only the goony kid was smart enough to realize that it was suspicious.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 21, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dopaMEAN posted:

I just finished running an interview weekend for applicants to my school's neuroscience PhD program. Today I discovered that someone registered my first and last name as a gmail address and was asking the applicants for really specific info, stuff that they're not supposed to give out, such as their order of preference for schools and such.

Is there anything I can do about this? If it's one of the other applicants I want to know!

Edit: annd it looks like everyone else has already sent in the info. Only the goony kid was smart enough to realize that it was suspicious.

You can look at the header of the email and see the origination IP address.

That may or may not give you a clue as to who sent it.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

dopaMEAN posted:

Well, there's your first suspect.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Noni posted:

Well, there's your first suspect.

I thought about that, but if he hadn't mentioned it, we never would have known.

I did get weirded out a bit when he was photographing people on the last morning...

Spog- I'm asking for the header info now.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 21, 2012

thecolorsymphony
Apr 18, 2008
I need some advice. I've been getting calls for a couple months asking if my magazines were arriving ok, thing is, I don't get any magazines. Never have. I told them several times to take me off their call list, there must be a mistake and they said they'd take care of it.

Yesterday, I got a call from their "collections" dept. saying I owe them money. I think the name of the company was "publishers international." I've gone over my bank statements, there's no charges to them or anything, and they have my address listed as where I lived a little over a year ago. I told the dude I'm not paying for a service I never signed up for (and never got magazines for!), and he refused to let me speak to a manager, saying he was just the collections agency. He said i'd be marked down as "refusal to pay."

Should I be worried about this poo poo? I can't find the company anywhere online, and most importantly, anyone know how i can get back at these rats for harassing me?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

thecolorsymphony posted:

I need some advice. I've been getting calls for a couple months asking if my magazines were arriving ok, thing is, I don't get any magazines. Never have. I told them several times to take me off their call list, there must be a mistake and they said they'd take care of it.

Yesterday, I got a call from their "collections" dept. saying I owe them money. I think the name of the company was "publishers international." I've gone over my bank statements, there's no charges to them or anything, and they have my address listed as where I lived a little over a year ago. I told the dude I'm not paying for a service I never signed up for (and never got magazines for!), and he refused to let me speak to a manager, saying he was just the collections agency. He said i'd be marked down as "refusal to pay."

Should I be worried about this poo poo? I can't find the company anywhere online, and most importantly, anyone know how i can get back at these rats for harassing me?

Ask me about dealing with debt collectors should help you out!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Someone posted an ap here in SA that shows the good/bad ratings for the videos on the Youtube sidebar so that you have an idea what you're clicking on. Does anyone have a link to it or know what the hell I am talking about?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thecolorsymphony posted:

Did he actually have your name and information, or did he just call and say "Hey you on the phone, pay us or else"?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Is there a clock radio that acts as an iPod dock and that can play a particular song from the iPod as the alarm? I'm finding a lot of clock radios you can dock your iPod with, but they lack the alarm functionality I'm looking for. Does something like this exist, and if so, can someone recommend me one in the $40-$60 price range?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Is there a clock radio that acts as an iPod dock and that can play a particular song from the iPod as the alarm? I'm finding a lot of clock radios you can dock your iPod with, but they lack the alarm functionality I'm looking for. Does something like this exist, and if so, can someone recommend me one in the $40-$60 price range?

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but this is a free downloadable alarm that can play a song from your iTunes library.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

User-Friendly posted:

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but this is a free downloadable alarm that can play a song from your iTunes library.

Thanks, but right after I posted that I realized that there was an alarm clock built into the iPod so all I need is any old speaker/dock.

thecolorsymphony
Apr 18, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Did he actually have your name and information, or did he just call and say "Hey you on the phone, pay us or else"?

They have my name, or at least my last name, and my address from a couple years ago. They have my phone number, clearly, but not any of my Credit Card info. Don't know where they got anything because those eels don't answer my questions.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

The Dregs posted:

Someone posted an ap here in SA that shows the good/bad ratings for the videos on the Youtube sidebar so that you have an idea what you're clicking on. Does anyone have a link to it or know what the hell I am talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ0obzYBEcs

Download links are in the description. I really wish it would show on search results as well since it's so useful

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Golbez posted:

I didn't know this was such a midwest thing. It's really high up on the Pittsburgh dialect lists too, perhaps only behind "yinz" and "dahntahn".

Fabiolean
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on a boat
I am looking for an approximately 10 year old digital watch. You could program birthdays into the calender, and it would play a "cute birthday song" on birthdays. It would also track the phases of the moon, and a little digital wolf would come out to howl at the full moon.

Does anybody have any idea the make/model on this thing? My best friend had one years ago, and lost it, and I've always wanted to get it for her as a gift. Any help would be amazing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

Now that I'm in Iowa, here's a fun regional grammatical weirdness: Needs xed.
Blame the Scots. Or the Irish. Or both. It's their fault - it's a hangover from Scots-Irish immigration into the midwest.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Elijya posted:

It's much older than that. The TV show didn't start until 2009, people have been making jokes about Jersey for decades.
I never "got" the jokes about New Jersey until I visited a friend there. I don't remember where he lived, but it was gorgeous and green. Great place. But the first thing I remember after crossing the state line into Jersey was a line of ugly factories with bigass flames coming out of smokestacks. It felt like I'd wandered into a goddamn Mad Max movie.

"Who run BarterJersey Town?"

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Anyone know much about Pool Cues? I'd like to get MY WIFE one for her Birthday. I'm looking for a step or two up from house cues, but not "what the pros use". She's only been in a league a couple years now, but who knows how long it will last.

I was thinking of asking in SAS, or even doing a "TELL me about pool cues" thread, but figured I'd play it safe and start here.

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard
Could anyone tell me what medium this picture is done in? I know next to nothing about art.

I really like the smoothness of the image and wouldn't mind learning more about the style.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

HagridOfTheLibrary posted:

Could anyone tell me what medium this picture is done in? I know next to nothing about art.

I really like the smoothness of the image and wouldn't mind learning more about the style.

It's digital - ie all done in CG on a computer.

It's by Sergey Kolesov.

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard

marshmallard posted:

It's digital - ie all done in CG on a computer.

It's by Sergey Kolesov.

Thanks a bunch! Found the picture on imgur roulette so I didn't even have the artist.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

HagridOfTheLibrary posted:

Thanks a bunch! Found the picture on imgur roulette so I didn't even have the artist.

TinEye is useful for that.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

KillianLett posted:

I'm looking for a step or two up from house cues, but not "what the pros use".

A $20 wal-mart cue is a step above a bar cue. A broom handle with a decent tip is a step above a bar cue. If she plays in a pool hall that sells cues, go pick out a McDermott/Joss/Cuetec/Stealth in the $75-$150 range and you are - hell, I can't even say how many "steps" above a bar cue you would be. It would be like if your wife had spent the last 2 years in a pasture eating fungus off of cow pies and you were going to a grocery store to pick up some food that was a "step or two" above that.

Any two-piece that is straight and has a decent tip is going to be a huge improvement over a bar cue. If I were in your shoes, I'd bring her along to let her pick out what she likes in a price range you agree on. It sounds like you don't have a clue and if she has been playing leagues for a couple of years, so she would have a much better idea of what would make her happy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SkunkDuster posted:

A $20 wal-mart cue is a step above a bar cue. A broom handle with a decent tip is a step above a bar cue. If she plays in a pool hall that sells cues, go pick out a McDermott/Joss/Cuetec/Stealth in the $75-$150 range and you are - hell, I can't even say how many "steps" above a bar cue you would be. It would be like if your wife had spent the last 2 years in a pasture eating fungus off of cow pies and you were going to a grocery store to pick up some food that was a "step or two" above that.

Any two-piece that is straight and has a decent tip is going to be a huge improvement over a bar cue. If I were in your shoes, I'd bring her along to let her pick out what she likes in a price range you agree on. It sounds like you don't have a clue and if she has been playing leagues for a couple of years, so she would have a much better idea of what would make her happy.

If I had a pool table in my house and didn't plan on taking my cues anywhere, is there any advantage of having a two-piece cue?

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

SkunkDuster posted:

I know she wants two piece, 19oz and a case. Don't know that she knows much more either. I was mainly looking for name brands to look into/avoid. I'll check out the ones you listed there and get a feel for them. Thanks!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

hooah posted:

If I had a pool table in my house and didn't plan on taking my cues anywhere, is there any advantage of having a two-piece cue?

The main difference is that I don't think you can buy a decent one-piece cue. That market is reserved for bar cues and bottom of the barrel K-Mart crap. Somebody may prove me wrong and post a $4000 one-piece cue with unicorn horn inlays. Two-piece cues are the overwhelming standard for personal cues.

As for actual advantages:

With a one piece, if you want to change the weight, your only option is to get a heavier butt-weight (probably not the correct name) which will make your cue rear end heavy. With a two-piece, you can add weight in the middle and/or the butt to balance it.

If your cue warps, you can get a new shaft for a two-piece. A big part of the price in two piece cues is in the butt with all the inlays, wraps, fancy wood, and whatnot. The butt isn't going to warp unless you leave it in your trunk in a Georgia summertime or something like that. If a one-piece cue warps, which it will, it's shot.

Almost all of the action is in the shaft (thin end) and tip. The butt (rear end end of the cue) is mostly just something to grab onto that looks pretty and costs a lot of money. With a two-piece, you can swap out shafts and use one for breaking and one for regular playing without having to buy two separate cues. If you are the type that prefers a very delicate shaft with a soft tip (Meucci comes to mind), you wouldn't want to break with it because it would mushroom the tip and possibly break the shaft. In that case, you'd screw on your tank shaft for the break and switch back to your good shaft for the rest of the game.

My experience comes from growing up in pool halls and spending about 4 years of my life playing rack after rack of 9-ball for 5-6 hours every night with a used McDermott and a Stealth backup. There are probably goons that have spent 20-30 years playing rack after rack for 5-6 hours a night, so if one of them chimes in, just disregard what I have to say and listen to them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm struggling a bit with Google Calendar.

When I input an appointment on my Android phone's calendar, the phone automatically syncs it with the web, so that when I open up my calendar in my browser the appointment will be there. I figured it also worked the other way around; that anything I added to my calendar via my web browser would be downloaded to my phone. It didn't. I missed an appointment because of this. What do I have to do with my phone to get it to periodically check the my web calendar?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Baron Bifford posted:

figured it also worked the other way around; that anything I added to my calendar via my web browser would be downloaded to my phone. It didn't. I missed an appointment because of this. What do I have to do with my phone to get it to periodically check the my web calendar?

Did you refresh your calendar on your phone after updating your calendar from the web? I've added a lot of things through the web and they show up fine on my phone without me doing anything (I assume at some point my phone syncs once a day or something).

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
I need a laptop sleeve that offers good protection but will fit inside a backpack. My netbook's screen is 11.6" diagonal, and the overall dimensions are 11.49" (L) x 8.46" (W) x 0.83 - 1.26" (H). Any recommendations?

It would also be cool if someone could explain why the height is listed as 0.83 - 1.26".

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Absolute Lithops posted:

I need a laptop sleeve that offers good protection but will fit inside a backpack. My netbook's screen is 11.6" diagonal, and the overall dimensions are 11.49" (L) x 8.46" (W) x 0.83 - 1.26" (H). Any recommendations?

It would also be cool if someone could explain why the height is listed as 0.83 - 1.26".

This is totally a guess, but could it be that it's wider where plugs or ports are and narrower in other places?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absolute Lithops posted:

Most laptops are not a uniform height, but slim down a bit towards the user.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Absolute Lithops posted:

I'm not sure about special protection. I just went into a computer shop and looked around. If you have to, Best Buy probably has some stuff, but mostly for Macs and marked up horribly. I don't know what kind of computer shops are in the US, but Canada has Canada Computers. It doesn't sound like you're searching for something specialized. Incase is pretty good, has a nice soft lining.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hooah posted:

In addition to SkunkDuster's great advice, a decent cue/shaft/tip just "feels" a lot different/better.

It's a lot like golf clubs in that the variances in weight distribution and material quality have a profound impact on accuracy and "feel". Also like a golf a good mid-line product could last a lifetime and serve you well while the more expensive stuff is just for show and/or for hardcore professionals.

Once you use one you'll laugh a bit when you see "bar pros" evaluate the "perfect" bar cue to use.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Goons, my mom took it upon herself several years ago to put a security freeze on my credit reports at all three agencies. I have not been affected by this in the past because I don't use my credit for anything. However, I am trying to get a new cell phone plan and they are trying to pull Equifax's report. I got the Transunion and Experian freezes lifted (Transunion apparently never even placed one even though my mom paid for it?) relatively easily online.

Equifax requires a pin thing that I never received, most likely because my mom had it mailed to her. Their site to request a replacement pin online does not work. I'm hesitant to just mail them a picture of my ID and a letter with my social security number and a check. Does anyone know of any way to deal with this that is less of a headache? I can't call them because there is no number anywhere on their site for this.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

thecolorsymphony posted:

They have my name, or at least my last name, and my address from a couple years ago. They have my phone number, clearly, but not any of my Credit Card info. Don't know where they got anything because those eels don't answer my questions.

It could be a fake collection agency or a very shady real one. It's a scam where they'll harass people about debts they don't actually have to extort money from them. It works because people get freaked out thinking they're in trouble for some bill out there that they just forgot to pay. So they pay the money just to make it go away instead of asking questions. If this is the case they probably got your info off some mailing list or something.

This site offers a pretty sensible step-by-step guide on how to handle this sort of thing (yes it's kind of outdated looking, but it's got good info).

Usually if you can verify you have no debt and call these people on their poo poo they'll back off. Make sure it's by certified mail so you have proof that they received it. You also might want to check and make sure this isn't something like identity theft where someone's out there running up bills in your name.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 23, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I am going in for the in-person phase of interviews at a large tech company, and they want me to email them with some more details - including current and expected salaries. I am freaking out over what to put for "Expected Salary" - I currently make 50k/yr at a startup, and planned to just bump that up to 60-65k/yr. Then I checked out the position on http://glassdoor.com, and it reports that the average salary for my position is nearly 90k. This seems... well, obscenely high, to be honest.

Does it matter what I put down? Are they going offer me basically the same thing no matter what I put down, or might I start out and find out that I'm making 20k less than someone else in the same position as me?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Gravity Pike posted:

Does it matter what I put down? Are they going offer me basically the same thing no matter what I put down, or might I start out and find out that I'm making 20k less than someone else in the same position as me?

It matters, most large(r) companies have windows/grades/bands for salaries and (sadly) take your previous salary as a factor in what you "want" or should be offered now.

That said, for the same reasons you won't find people (with the same education, experience, position, etc.) making wildly different pay.

In most situations the worst is that you will be offered the "low" of the grade/band/etc. which isn't all that bad because you have room to move up. Basically there is a "lowball" for the position, but it doesn't get lower just because of your expected/wanted wage.

Just be honest about what you want and realistic to what your skills, education, and experience bring and you will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gravity Pike posted:

I am going in for the in-person phase of interviews at a large tech company, and they want me to email them with some more details - including current and expected salaries. I am freaking out over what to put for "Expected Salary" - I currently make 50k/yr at a startup, and planned to just bump that up to 60-65k/yr. Then I checked out the position on http://glassdoor.com, and it reports that the average salary for my position is nearly 90k. This seems... well, obscenely high, to be honest.

Yes it matters what you put down. If your position goes for 90k and you ask for 65k they will offer you 65k and chuckle smugly when you accept it. Ask for the going rate and then some, and expect to possibly be negotiated down / counter offered. You can't negotiate up after you say you want X.

Frankly, I would never put an "expected salary" in writing. I'd give my current salary honestly, since that's easy for them to verify, and say my expected salary depends on the details of the position and overall benefits package (bonus potential, 401k match/contrib, stock options, etc.) If forced to fill in a "salary requirement" line on an application I'd put 25% over the highest similar going rate i could find on on salary.com or glassdoor.com, etc. and be prepared to negotiate down a bit if they balk. They're not just going to give up and say gently caress you with no further conversation if you don't happen to guess the number they have in mind.