Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Just finished my 22

Gonna hit up the local big time indoor track for some practice tomorrow.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ElBrak posted:

Also I gotta figure a way to secure my speed controller to the body since the double sided tape they used came undone.

Go to a auto parts supply place (NAPA, Autozone, etc) and pick up dual sided bumper tape. Should be black tape with red covering on the sticky side. If your speed controller falls off with that stuff you don't have a car left.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ElBrak posted:

Also I gotta figure a way to secure my speed controller to the body since the double sided tape they used came undone.

Parma servo tape works freakin awesome. Just be sure to clean both surfaces you're trying to stick with rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner before putting the tape on.

kuffs posted:

Just finished my 22

Gonna hit up the local big time indoor track for some practice tomorrow.

:woop::toot::woop:

Losi army grows... and man! That motor looks very familiar! Hope you like it dude, 2wd buggy is so goddamn much fun :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

needknees posted:

Parma servo tape works freakin awesome. Just be sure to clean both surfaces you're trying to stick with rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner before putting the tape on.

Shoe Goo, or any of the Goop brand glues (they're all the same) that you can find in a hardware store. poo poo will. not. move.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

If (or should I say when) I try and get back into racing, I'll probably go with a Losi buggy just because I've always done AE stuff before.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone explain to me how I turn either my Associated TC3 or Yokomo GT4 nitro into one of those drifting RC cars? I assume I just need different gears for the front and rear diffs and send more power to the back? Something like that?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I use industrial strength fasteners like these http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Heavy-Duty-Fasteners-Inches-RFD7091/dp/B00347A8GM/ref=pd_sbs_op_3

That way I can easily remove all my electronics for cleaning. And it adds a bit of cushion in the bumps.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

A5H posted:

Can anyone explain to me how I turn either my Associated TC3 or Yokomo GT4 nitro into one of those drifting RC cars? I assume I just need different gears for the front and rear diffs and send more power to the back? Something like that?

Drift tires to start (very very hard, basically plastic tires) and stiffen up the gear diffs basically. Move as much weight forward as you can. Play with it from there. Then start trying different camber angles for more initial turn-in and then try springs. But if all you have is tires and a bit of skill you are 80% there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

nitros tend to be poo poo for drifting because they dont get the airflow required to keep cool thanks to the lower speeds of drifting. Also EP has max torque from zero RPM.

HPI tried to break into the market with a nitro drifter years ago and it died pretty quickly.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
AAAAAH THE TRAILFINDER 2 IS OUT

http://store.rc4wd.com/product.asp?itemid=2108

Crawler goons: tell me what I need for an esc / motor. Also what pinions do I slap in that thing?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
35 or 45 turn for speed, 55 or 65/75 turn for crawlability. Not sure what gears it takes, probably 48 pitch but could be 32 pitch.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

AAAAAH THE TRAILFINDER 2 IS OUT

http://store.rc4wd.com/product.asp?itemid=2108

Crawler goons: tell me what I need for an esc / motor. Also what pinions do I slap in that thing?

I run a Novak Rooster Crawler 55t system. I got a hell of a deal on a new one because they are discontinued. My truck has insane torque, and I haven't gotten even a hint of glitching.

Most guys swear by the Tekin FX system though. The lowest number of turns you want is 35, but I'd recommend at least 45 or 55. As for gearing, well I have no clue on the Trailfinder. I'd just see what the manual recommends and use it as your baseline.

Congrats on getting that truck, it looks loving boss! Crawling is really the most fun thing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Picked up a 1/16 slash 4x4 VXL over christmas and have had a blast with it. Already broken a few parts and switched out the springs/shock oil to something stiffer, which helped handling immensely, but the drat thing traction rolls like crazy. I realize that there's only so much you can do with such a narrow track and high speeds, but I could use any suggestions on setup. I was thinking swaybars, slipperier tires, lower ride height, more negative camber....?

I also can't loving believe how long batteries last now. Last time I was really into the hobby NiMH had just come out and I never had the money to upgrade. I'd charge my two NiCD's an hours to get 10 minutes of actual run time out of my rustler.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I'm gearing up for Psycho Nitro Blast again this year. I'm going to run my Losi TEN-SCTE in Open 4WD SCT and my Hot Bodies D8 in Novice Buggy. I'm actually just going to order a whole new D8 and use my old one for running heats and/or parts. My Werks B6 ran about 400º last month and now I'm only getting about 5-6 minutes of runtime, and the motor just doesn't feel like it has much compression anymore. I think I'm going to try out either an Argus or an nVision motor this time, since I'm still very much a Nitro novice and don't want to blow up $300 again anytime soon.

Edit -- Just hit me I never told the tale of "How I Almost Blew Up my B6" here...

Our track's biggest race is the Colonel's Winter Classic, and this year was the first one I've been in. I raced my 4WD SCT (made the A-main and finished mediocre) and Nitro Buggy. I'm not real experienced with nitro buggy, having only ran it a few times and never with much success. Anyway, after months of tinkering with it, I finally got it running right after replacing all of the seals and cleaning things up really thoroughly.

During my 2nd heat, I kept having problems with the throttle sticking. We assumed it was my servo (a cheap $25 Futaba) so I got a loaner HiTec. 3rd heat, same problem. Going through it, turned out my carb's slide was sticking open. I wound up buying a used Novarossi carb, and having only 5 minutes to swap it out, JUUUST managed to make it onto the track for the C-Main. There were 5 cars in it, and I managed to get out front really quickly. After a few laps, my pit guy told me to keep an eye on the temps because I wasn't blowing any smoke at all. No sooner after he said that, the temp alarm on my radio started beeping. I glance down to see a terrifying 408°F. I yelled that down to him, and he told me to bring it in. He richens it up all around and throws me back out, yelling at me to run it as fast as it'll go to get some air flowing. I ran some of the fastest laps I've ever ran, and I make up my lost lap VERY quickly. Once I've got a good lead, he has me bring it back in, richens it up a little more, throws me back out, same thing - I get it cooled down by running the hell out of it, and get back out in front. Normally no one pays a bit of attention to the C and B mains, but since I was fighting the engine temps while trying to stay out front so I could bump to the B, I started hearing people cheering me on. I've had races with far better finishes, better competition, and without any problems, but I don't think I've ever had a more exhilarating race than that one -- it's one of those experiences that I'll always remember. I wound up making the B main, and during my warmup lap, the screws came out of my front right hub and I couldn't get it fixed in time to make the start. Still, I enjoyed that C-main enough that I didn't care.

Anyway, since then, that engine has been running rough - hard to keep it idling, lousy compression, and I'm only getting 5-6 minutes out of a tank. Hard to compete when everyone else is getting 8-10. I think I've decided to just rebuild it so I don't have to buy another pipe, too.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 23, 2012

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I run a Novak Rooster Crawler 55t system. I got a hell of a deal on a new one because they are discontinued. My truck has insane torque, and I haven't gotten even a hint of glitching.

Most guys swear by the Tekin FX system though. The lowest number of turns you want is 35, but I'd recommend at least 45 or 55. As for gearing, well I have no clue on the Trailfinder. I'd just see what the manual recommends and use it as your baseline.

Congrats on getting that truck, it looks loving boss! Crawling is really the most fun thing.

I haven't picked it up quite yet, I'm trying to keep myself from buying it until after my GF heads out of the country. Figure I'll focus on spending some time with her for the next few weeks.

That hasn't kept me from thoroughly digging through RC4WD's site looking at fiddly bits to add to it

Finally a use for the 3rd and 4th channels on my radio. Shifting and pulling other cars out of the mud!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

I haven't picked it up quite yet, I'm trying to keep myself from buying it until after my GF heads out of the country. Figure I'll focus on spending some time with her for the next few weeks.

That hasn't kept me from thoroughly digging through RC4WD's site looking at fiddly bits to add to it

Finally a use for the 3rd and 4th channels on my radio. Shifting and pulling other cars out of the mud!

That's a nice bill, especially without a motor! Yeah, they are expensive, but I'm really interested to hear how your build goes. As for the winch, I really wish I had a 3 channel! I'd love to have one in my truck.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
If anyone is interested in a nice 1/8th electric buggy let me know... I'm looking to sell my Kyosho MP9 TKi2 converted to e. Could sell either as a roller (preferred) or ARTR w/ Tekin RX8 and 2050kV T8. DS1015 servo. shitload of spares.

I also have a Kyo ST-RR e-truggy I'm looking to sell. PM me for details on either.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The TF2 sold out in a day.

So I spent a little time researching how to make an old Tamiya Lunchbox body fit on one of RC4wd's chassis. No complete plans yet, but I'll keep the idea hanging around.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

The TF2 sold out in a day.

So I spent a little time researching how to make an old Tamiya Lunchbox body fit on one of RC4wd's chassis. No complete plans yet, but I'll keep the idea hanging around.

Yep, I saw that and was wondering if you wound up with one.

On a side note, I can't recommend RPPHobby.com enough for those of you looking for online hobby stuff. The prices are great, and they ship faster than even Tower! They have a gigantic inventory, and I've also found that they have in stock a bunch of poo poo that Tower & other shops are backordered on.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Finished building my second Hot Bodies D8 today. It's amazing how much smoother building a kit gets every time I do one. This one went together without any stripped screws, lost parts, or even so much as a scuff on anything. I can really see what a horrible job I did on my first one, and why it drove like crap. I'm pretty excited about getting this one on the track.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Well, I did it. I have now gone full RC-tard. Bought a 6x10 trailer today. I've already started turning into my makeshift man cave, and I'm sitting out here freezing my butt off with my laptop posting this, when I could be inside where it's warm. What am I doing with my life? (A: enjoying it)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
When you have a trailer (or worse, an RV) for nothing but RC stuff...you're deep in it! How will you explain this to the in-laws or any respectable friends you might have?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Actually my mother-in-law thinks it's cool and my friends either share or enjoy the hobby, or otherwise aren't respectable. I think I had as many people call me up to congratulate me on getting a trailer as I had telling me happy birthday last week, and most of my friends are all "Dude save me spot in it!!

I probably wouldn't have gotten a trailer, but where I live I'm 2 hours from any tracks (I'm dead center between Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA), and I'd like to start going to other races anyway. At least this way, I can quit leaving all of my track gear in the back of my SUV.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 27, 2012

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

So did you end up going to the GSC race this weekend?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Nah, I was going to go to Jacksonville but my D8 needs a new engine and my TEN-SCTE was torn down. I had to 'try out' my trailer this evening to see how I like working in it and fixed the TEN... since we're hosting round 3 of GCS, I'll be at that one, but I don't know if I'll make any of the others this year. I'm getting geared up for Psycho Nitro Blast, though -- there's no way I'm missing it! If anyone here goes, shoot me a message or something on here and we can meet up.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I've never made the PNB. It always lands on my birthday and I've always had other plans. :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just make sure you lock up that trailer GOOD. I've known a lot of guys get their cars/trucks broken into, and a couple that have had trailers stolen with all their gear inside.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
So I bought a Losi Mini 8ight the other day as an answer to my rekindled RC craving. I wanted to get a kit and build it since that has always been my favorite part of a new car, but with all my equipment being a decade old now it seemed RTR was the better way back in.

It is a ball of fun, small enough to run in my house but big enough to tackle my backyard. I had been considering RC18,B44.1,RC8Be kits, but the cost of entry for the last two was more than I wanted to sink on a whim. I was standing in the hobby shop while some regulars were outside having a jumping competition in the parking lot when one came in with an RC18 and I saw just how small it looked. I basically discounted it immediately thinking a pine cone would gently caress it and a sweet gum ball would stop it in its tracks. The mini 8ight gives no fucks and powers through all of it.

Bonus points I can bolt any TC wheel combo to it and run since it is a 14mm hex hub. I drove it outside once and then immediately charged the battery and swapped the wheels with my TC3. Two things opened up. The buggy is a dooorrriftuu machine with carpet rubbers on, and the TC3 looks like it could play rally car duty with the buggy wheels. I now am on the hunt for a way to extend the lower arms outward and bolt on shocks with a slightly longer stroke. If I remember correctly, the TC3 was 190mm while most bodies were 200mm. Has anyone heard of parts that could help my rally dreams with this car? I would drive the TC3 outside on tarmac but it collects pebbles like it was its business and they tend to lock up the unsealed spur gear. If they lodge just right, it becomes a rudimentary lathe cutting lines in the drive shaft. I would love to let both play double duty for me, but I need some options for tires for both and suspension/LCA options for the TC3.

Bonus video to come with the buggy spinning hard on carpet... it reminded me of that 80's song "she's a maniac, MANIAC, on the floor..." gently caress if I can remember the artist or name though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had an rc18t, it was hands down the most reliable truck I owned. 11.1v lipo, 8000kv brushless and 60mph smacks into the curb and it never broke a thing. It was just too light to put the power down properly on factory tires and prolines were hard to find at the time so I was very careful with them. But holy gently caress it was a fun little car. I also had a mini-T and a mini lst2 and while the lst had good clearance it just wasnt as fun as the demon rc18t.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Aflicted posted:

I now am on the hunt for a way to extend the lower arms outward and bolt on shocks with a slightly longer stroke. If I remember correctly, the TC3 was 190mm while most bodies were 200mm. Has anyone heard of parts that could help my rally dreams with this car?

You can get wheels with extra offset - HPI and others do wheels with 3, 6 and 9mm offset for extra width. You'd have to do some grinding on the suspension parts to get the extra droop, but AE did do a rally conversion set a long time ago, you might be able to find it online somewhere. Then some buggy front shocks front and rear.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I got back into the RC game last summer. I had some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket so I went and got a Stampede VXL. Holy hell, I had no idea how far RC had come.

I had a few Toys 'R Us when I was younger. My favorite was my Tyco Turbo Hopper. That was as close to a hobby level car as one can get. Had many fun days with it until I outgrew little radio controlled cars.

That mad little fucker was a blast. I literally drove the wheels off of it. Good times for sure. After that I had a Tamiya Mud Blaster. Its basically a Subaru Brat body on top of a Blackfoot.

I had mine decked out with a nice Futaba radio, bearings, oil shocks and a Slot Machine motor.

A few years back I went into a hobby shop and bought a Trinity Itsy Bitsy Spyder. It was a a blast when it was working but availability of parts and the fact theat it seemed to be made of some sort of ultra breakable poo poo left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hateful little thing. Trinity was passing out new speed controllers because the first run had a tendency to poo poo the bed remarkably often. It was a waste, but at least I have a shitload of hop up parts for the RC18 I plan to buy one day.

As far as the Stampede goes, holy mother of gently caress! That little truck never fails to put a grin on my face. I call him the Sarge.

Naked Sarge.

In his battle vestments.

I've broken many things and made more trips to the hobby shop than I can count but its definitely worth every penny. I wish there was a track in my area that had monster truck class races. In face, the only track within a reasonable distance only has a carpeted indoor track for 1/18 scale trucks.

Oh well. I'll just have to keep backyard bashing and sneaking into the BMX track.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stampedes own, especially the VXL ones. I have a Slash 4x4 now, but I still miss my Pede, they are great trucks.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nathan Explosion posted:

I got back into the RC game last summer. I had some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket so I went and got a Stampede VXL. Holy hell, I had no idea how far RC had come.

I had a few Toys 'R Us when I was younger. My favorite was my Tyco Turbo Hopper. That was as close to a hobby level car as one can get. Had many fun days with it until I outgrew little radio controlled cars.

Ah yes, the Jet Hopper. I think nearly every Australian boy in the 80s had one. I still have mine, but it is pretty damaged.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

You Am I posted:

Ah yes, the Jet Hopper. I think nearly every Australian boy in the 80s had one. I still have mine, but it is pretty damaged.

I had the GI Joe version of that beast. I can't find a pic, but imagine it in olive drab green with a big gun on top. There were two red missiles on the rear wing. Rockin'!

At some point I broke the top right shock mount but fixed it and kept going. It sat for about 10 years, but when I tried to run it again but it wouldn't wake up. T'was a sad day.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Nathan Explosion posted:

As far as the Stampede goes, holy mother of gently caress! That little truck never fails to put a grin on my face. I call him the Sarge.

Naked Sarge.

In his battle vestments.

I've broken many things and made more trips to the hobby shop than I can count but its definitely worth every penny. I wish there was a track in my area that had monster truck class races. In face, the only track within a reasonable distance only has a carpeted indoor track for 1/18 scale trucks.

Oh well. I'll just have to keep backyard bashing and sneaking into the BMX track.

My first ever hobby level R/C was a stampede, and it is both the best beginner car, and just plain fun for all. Also its simplicity makes it fairly sturdy, and fixing easy as well. I should get another, just because...

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Stampede look like a blast. I bought a Slash 4x4 and it's a trooper but for some reason I keep having issues with the gear in it despite being triple sure I've checked the gap. Thing loves to whine.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

VibrioCholera posted:

Stampede look like a blast. I bought a Slash 4x4 and it's a trooper but for some reason I keep having issues with the gear in it despite being triple sure I've checked the gap. Thing loves to whine.

Only problem I ever had was that. Had a rounded curb at the bottom of a hill in front of my friends house that I hit at full speed and it landed on the roof. I thought I destroyed it, but a little tightening of the screw and I was set to go again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VibrioCholera posted:

Sometimes I think they're just whiny. Are you setting the gap with a piece of paper?

My 4x4 Slash is decently loud at all times, but you can really tell when the gap isnt set right. Either way, it never really eats gears.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ah, gear meshing. I have fond (read: horrible) memories of my savage 25 SS and its crappy slipper clutch. It was either locked, or if you set it to slip at all, it would eventually burn out, softening the center of the spur and causing it to get warped off axis.

every bash session was pre-gamed with dropping the engine, fitting a new spur gear, and resetting the gear mesh. I was able to do it by feel after the first few months :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thankfully the traxxas slippers are finned for cooling. I run the fluid center diff in my slash, but its still decently whiny.