Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Cakefool posted:

That does look pretty good, however it's French so I'm not buying one. Never again, drat electrical problems!

Yep, no French car for me as well. We had one (a Peugeot 206) which one day, after less than 110000km, decided to crack a cylinder. It was going to way to expensive to get it fixed, so we ended up with a Rover 25 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Left Ventricle posted:

Chevy did it twice, and it was horrible to look at both times. Corsica and Malibu. I'm having a hard time coming up with a picture of the Corsica though. The Malibu Maxx is just so awkward-looking.

If you're going to make a chunkity-assed car with a liftback, why not go whole hog and make a proper wagon? No-one on earth is going to buy a Malibu Maxx for looks, so you might a well haul as many boxes as possible.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So this is the new ES.

I always thought the old ES was a great looking car, no wonder they sell so many of them. This new one looks pretty good too, the new Lexus corporate face works nicely and the interior is a big step ahead.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The hourglass shield grille looks awkward as hell as well as terribly derivative of all the other shield grilles from 5 years ago in a knockoff sort of way.

Seriously, that thing is mega-gross.

The ES is a tarted up Camry. It's good that they're finally getting their own styling and that greenhouse looks nice but the new Lexus corporate face just ruins it.

Oh, also, I don't like the big hood panel cut line right across the nose.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 22, 2012

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cream_Filling posted:

If you're going to make a chunkity-assed car with a liftback, why not go whole hog and make a proper wagon? No-one on earth is going to buy a Malibu Maxx for looks, so you might a well haul as many boxes as possible.
Americans hate wagons, you know. Enough that, rather than just import and rebadge the existing Vectra wagon (which looked pretty good, I gotta say), GM went with what looks like a slightly modified version of the Holden ZC Vectra hatch (which also looks good), and expected it to sell. I don't think it did all that well.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

One of the consistent criticisms of the RSX-S and Civic Si 2.0 was that There Arent Enough Torks and now that they put in a KA24 or whatever to get some more torque now They Killed Its Soul. I get the complaints but it's like a no-win situation for Honda.
How about they bring back and modernize the h series motors? In 2001 you could get 200hp and 160ft/lbs of torque out of 2.2 liters, with a redline over 7k. I am sure they can squeeze another 10% out of that with the lessons learned from the k series.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

adorai posted:

How about they bring back and modernize the h series motors? In 2001 you could get 200hp and 160ft/lbs of torque out of 2.2 liters, with a redline over 7k. I am sure they can squeeze another 10% out of that with the lessons learned from the k series.

Why would this be better than the K?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

adorai posted:

:wtc: That's like saying GM should bring back the old Chevy 350 because I'm sure they can squeeze more power out of it with the lessons learned from the LS7? The K replaced the H, it's newer, bring the H back with the lessons learned from the K would just produce another K.

EDIT: Except it would have a timing belt I guess?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Throatwarbler posted:

EDIT: Except it would have a timing belt I guess?

And it would spin in the opposite direction.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

adorai posted:

Wasn't that 1991? The H22A was a great engine, the BB4 Prelude I had with one was one of the best cars I've owned. It was quick and absolutely reliable.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Cream_Filling posted:

The hourglass shield grille looks awkward as hell as well as terribly derivative of all the other shield grilles from 5 years ago in a knockoff sort of way.

Seriously, that thing is mega-gross.

The ES is a tarted up Camry. It's good that they're finally getting their own styling and that greenhouse looks nice but the new Lexus corporate face just ruins it.

Oh, also, I don't like the big hood panel cut line right across the nose.

Agreed. The grill looks like a Nissan Maxima five years ago. Plus Audi fairy lights in the front and derivative A4 tail lights. And those wheels are just heinous.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Lexus, but the only car I'd even remotely consider buying that they put out recently is the GS.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Left Ventricle posted:

Chevy did it twice, and it was horrible to look at both times. Corsica and Malibu. I'm having a hard time coming up with a picture of the Corsica though. The Malibu Maxx is just so awkward-looking.

Chevy actually did it three times.

Along with:

and even

I personally prefer wagons, but having a liftback is still a shitload more useful than a trunk.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Speaking of, saw a Veloster on the road yesterday. Not a bad looking little... thing. As far as sub-20k economy cars go, at least.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Speaking of Chevy liftbacks, I don't understand why they didn't do that with the new Camaro. The trunk is pretty useless not because of the space inside but the actual opening.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I kind of have a feeling that if they made it a liftback the chassis would flex like mad.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

davebo posted:

Speaking of Chevy liftbacks, I don't understand why they didn't do that with the new Camaro. The trunk is pretty useless not because of the space inside but the actual opening.

Holy LOL. That's terrible. I'm pretty sure my NA Miata had a more usable trunk than that.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Throatwarbler posted:

So this is the new ES.

I always thought the old ES was a great looking car, no wonder they sell so many of them. This new one looks pretty good too, the new Lexus corporate face works nicely and the interior is a big step ahead.

I think it looks Chinese.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

HairyNipple! posted:

I think it looks Chinese.

It's telling that Chinese is the new Korean, Hyundai is moving up in the world.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kidney Stone posted:

Yep, no French car for me as well. We had one (a Peugeot 206) which one day, after less than 110000km, decided to crack a cylinder. It was going to way to expensive to get it fixed, so we ended up with a Rover 25 :(

I (my wife) has a 206 wagon, perfect car apart from the electrical gremlins & poor interior fit & feel, a workmate had a 307 wagon, new turbo at 37k, new engine wiring loom at 42k, new turbo at 52k, new gearbox at 46k, new clutch at 47k, new turbo at 55k.

...yeah.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

davebo posted:

Pfffff hahaha. I thought my Mustang was bad. Good lord.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Crossfire.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

davebo posted:

man, it's pretty sad when your trunk is less useable than the trunk on a Lamborghini.

At least it looks like you could get few bags of groceries into that trunk, which is more than you can say for the Solstice...

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

So this is the new ES.

Ah, the CRZ sedan.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

davebo posted:

Well, every part of the Camaro I've ever dealt with has seemed absolutely miserable and half-assed, why not the trunk too?

It looks good, and I tried so hard to like it, but it's just about the most awful car I've ever driven (EDIT: for the price, obviously; there are worse cars out there, to be sure, but not many worse values)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Hashal posted:

Crossfire.

My inner 6-year old wants to pretend that that's some kind of awesome escape hatch.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Hashal posted:

Crossfire.

Vehicle Goatse.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Evanauto posted:

Vehicle Goatse.

Nope, that would be the Buick Rendezvous.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

And here I thought the Rendezvous was supposed to be the good-looking version of the Aztek.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

rscott posted:

:aaaaa:

There is no way to unsee that now...

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

rscott posted:

:golfclap:

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Chris Harris is liveblogging the launch of the new BMW M550d, three turbos, 381hp, 465lb ft :awesome:

Sadly it's not coming to the UK :(

eames
May 9, 2009

JingleBells posted:

Chris Harris is liveblogging the launch of the new BMW M550d, three turbos, 381hp, 465lb ft :awesome:

Oh wow, they also showed a sneak peak of the new 135i in the slides. Over 300 hp and looks surprisingly decent in the tiny picture:

//edit: So the thing is called M135i, will be revealed in Geneva and there’s a whole gallery of it here: here.
Twin-turbo 3.0-liter, 326 PS, 450nm. 6-gear manual or 7-gear double-clutch.

Still I’m not a fan of the new 1 series front — headlights in particular — but the M-bumper helps a lot.

//edit2: aaand it’ll be available as a 4WD xDrive model… weird.

eames fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 24, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
M135i looks like a slightly less ridiculous clownshoe.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That looks fantastic.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

JingleBells posted:

Sadly it's not coming to the UK :(

Shame it's 4300lbs :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

A5H posted:

Is that the Mazda smiley face grille I see?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

A5H posted:

It looks like a fish.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
I love me some grand tourers. At first blush those photos make it look almost too long, but Autoblog says it's shorter and lower than the 599. I'd wondered what the FF would look like as a normal coupe, and that seems to be about what this is. All in all it looks plenty cool, so I suppose I would deign to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

A5H posted:

Ugh, the new Ferrari grill is not going in the right direction. Everything else sounds awesome though, especially the V12 that redlines at 8700 holy poo poo

edit: how can that be an improvement over this? (face-wise)

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 24, 2012