Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Most tablets, apparently, charge very slowly over USB because they require a 15V charge rather than the normal USB voltage. Use the wall jack and it will charge MUCH faster.

I would if it wasn't broken. I just thought it'd charge over 24 hours, but I guess I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Codiusprime posted:

This is a good point, download better battery stats and see if something isn't keeping it awake. You could also try a factory reset.

It always amazes me how careful you need to be in choosing your apps for this reason. I recently got rid of a few, fairly well regarded, apps from my phone and saw my battery life and responsiveness skyrocket. There really needs to be a better system–level model for dealing with this crap automatically.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

(Cross post for HC/ICS Tablet owners)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmG43D0vD4

Google Docs now has native editing for documents.

Market Link

Thank god. Google docs for Android was so bad.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What's the usual lag time between a tablet announcement and being able to actually buy it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evilweasel posted:

What's the usual lag time between a tablet announcement and being able to actually buy it?
There is no "usual lag time" because each vendor is different. poo poo, vendors like ASUS aren't even consistent between there own tablet products. Sometimes it's 2 weeks. Sometimes it's 6 months. Sometimes it never comes out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

evilweasel posted:

Asus showed off the TF700T at CES and it probably wont be out till june or july.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Milky_Sauce posted:

I like Splashtop but is it any different than TeamViewer in any way? I've noticed they both have a fairly choppy experience compared to RDP.

It depends on what you're doing. RDP is probably still the best for just 'using' Windows because of how it abstracts some of the interface elements (e.g. it doesn't just screen scrape that window, it sends/emulates the GDI calls to open them on your system). TeamViewer and Splashtop are closer to VNC in that regard, in that they seem to be more about screen scraping/desktop casting (though not exclusively obviously).

This Wikipedia article might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

But basically for me it comes down to:
- Interacting with Windows administratively: RDP
- Non-Windows administratively: VNC
- Windows recreationally (e.g. videos, web browse): Something like splashtop
- Non-Windows recreationally: Team Viewer

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

ZShakespeare posted:

It always amazes me how careful you need to be in choosing your apps for this reason. I recently got rid of a few, fairly well regarded, apps from my phone and saw my battery life and responsiveness skyrocket. There really needs to be a better system–level model for dealing with this crap automatically.

An app can be well-regarded and still ping the poo poo out of a server because it assumes you need constant updates. I leave automatic sync off because there is nothing that I need to immediately respond to that isn't a phone call or text message.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My RMA changed from "Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging" to "WAITEX".

From what I can tell from Google, this means I am getting a new Transformer Prime. Sadly, this can take some time for them to exchange it. I had hoped to get my tablet back this week, it looks like I'll have to wait until next week.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CycleGeek
Apr 30, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Asus showed off the TF700T at CES and it probably wont be out till june or july.

I'm wondering whether they can really hold to that timeline. Assuming that a 32GB iPad with the 2048 x 1536 display sells for $599 and is available in March (considering how Apple likes to keep a short time between announcement and release) then Asus may find themselves with no sales for months until (limited) availability of a competitor that sells for the same price.

Doesn't compute. They've *got* to be selling something soon after MWC 2012. Their revenue (even excluding the massive numbers of returns and warranty repairs) has to be taking a hit given the limited availability of TF201 units, which to all accounts are being released a handful at a time to Amazon. To AMAZON, fer Chrissake.

With revenue down like this they *have* to release something in Q1 2012 in order to not make this quarter a total disaster.

But I'm open to alternative theories.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CycleGeek posted:

With revenue down like this they *have* to release something in Q1 2012 in order to not make this quarter a total disaster.

But I'm open to alternative theories.

Maybe they've determined that rushing something out the door isn't the best idea after the TF201 problems.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That's, uh, basically an airtight argument for the next one being rushed out the door too. Yay! :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My new Transformer wall charger is different than the one I got with the tablet.

The charger itself no longer has foldable prongs. That makes it less convinient, but hopefully it will be stronger and more stable.
(New one on the left.)

A very nice difference is the cord that came with the charger. Unlike the old one, this one is around 6 feet long. No longer need the extension cable!
(New one on the bottom.)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 23, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CycleGeek posted:

Do you have any numbers to back this up?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Do you have any numbers to back this up?
2 seconds on Google.

Revenue down 11% MOM in January, 18% in December, and 5% in November. It was not a fun holiday season for Asus, which I'm sure they'll talk about during their quarterly conference call in 2 days.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Don Lapre posted:

Wow

I remember when people bashed Apple for their yearly releases, this is a million times worse. Atleast Apple products work on launch (Ok maybe the iphone didn't but they handled that much better than Asus and the TFP)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
ICS rollout for the original Transformer has started

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 23, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

:aaaaa: I didn't think this would come for weeks at least. This is a very good day.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
gently caress yeah. Soon, my precious, soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

:hellyeah: I was afraid that I'd get left behind the way I did with my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thank God. Anyone know how long until a rooted ROM comes out?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Duckman2008 posted:

Thank God. Anyone know how long until a rooted ROM comes out?

It'll likely work with the same root method that the Prime uses, since the software is going to be nearly identical.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Speaking of the TF101, I have slight frame rate issues when watching 720p XVIDs through HDMI on my TV. Other users seem to have this as well. It's as if the CPU is just slightly under-powered to process 720p in fast moving scenes. Will rooting and overclocking fix this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreatKesh posted:

Wow

I remember when people bashed Apple for their yearly releases, this is a million times worse. Atleast Apple products work on launch (Ok maybe the iphone didn't but they handled that much better than Asus and the TFP)

I dont know how someone could bash a company for doing a yearly release schedule, especially when some companies seem to do monthly release schedules.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Twice The Detail. Twice The Fun.

What might this be about? We'll be revealing all at MWC on 27th February...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FDcFtPZqs&feature=player_embedded

Posted 18 minutes ago on FB by Asus.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

The Angry Spaniard posted:

I bet it's Asus' TFT700 (second gen Prime) with iPad3'esque resolution screen and updated non-wireless deflecting case. Way to out scoop Apple a week before it supposedly announces it's new tablet Asus :clint:

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

McLarenF1 posted:

I bet it's Asus' TFT700 (second gen Prime) with iPad3'esque resolution screen and updated non-wireless deflecting case. Way to out scoop Apple a week before it supposedly announces it's new tablet Asus :clint:

I think Apple will be fine.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Angry Spaniard posted:

It's a typo, that should read "Twice the Attention TO Detail"

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

McLarenF1 posted:

I hope this thing has a GPU capable of handling those pixels.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Glimm posted:

Ahahahaha!

Isn't the GPU in the Tegra 3 similar to the one in the Tegra 2? I though benchmarks showed that it wasn't much of an improvement.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Glimm posted:

Have any companies even demonstrated GPU chipsets that can outperform what's in the iPad 2 (PowerVR SGX) yet? ASUS might end up undoing Google's attempt at smoothing the UI out in Ice Cream Sandwich if they're not careful.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

nukethewhales posted:

Have any companies even demonstrated GPU chipsets that can outperform what's in the iPad 2 (PowerVR SGX) yet? ASUS might end up undoing Google's attempt at smoothing the UI out in Ice Cream Sandwich if they're not careful.

This is what I'm afraid of/expecting.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I got the keyboard dock for the Prime today and I'm already impressed. My only complaint so far is that there isn't a key to open the recent apps list. I keep looking for something like a windows key, or alt+tab.

The one really weird part is that I'm so used to laptops being bottom heavy, but that isn't the case with the Prime while it's docked, because there's almost nothing to the keyboard and that makes the screen heavier. It doesn't sit on my lap as steadily as a normal laptop would. It does sit pretty steady on a table top though. I think my balance is off when it's on my lap.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
alt+tab does work, but the only alt key is on the right side of the space bar, so it's kind of awkward

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ModestMuse posted:

alt+tab does work, but the only alt key is on the right side of the space bar, so it's kind of awkward

Why does a keyboard for an Android device have an "Alt" key?

e: does holding down the home key do anything?

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 24, 2012

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
no idea what other use the alt key has

holding the home key does nothing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why does a keyboard for an Android device have an "Alt" key?

e: does holding down the home key do anything?

The keyboard is pretty much an ASUS netbook keyboard with some keys relabeled, that's why.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Maybe CM9 for the Prime will re-map the alt key to the task switcher

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo there's an alt key on the other side of the spacebar. I didn't even see that! :downs:

Alt tab apparently does work! Thanks ModestMuse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I'm a huge nerd and couldn't wait a day and installed the TW Transformer ICS update. So nice and smooth.