Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I was pretty much counting on that. The whole series will end up like The Dark Tower where there's a warning towards the end of A Dream of Spring telling you not to read any further.

So that I don't have to read it, what was the warning towards the end of the Dark Tower series about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It said 'don't read any further you'll regret it'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And unlike the warning at the end of Black House, the "you'll regret it" for Dark Tower is accurate. I kept reading, and I did regret it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And unlike the warning at the end of Black House, the "you'll regret it" for Dark Tower is accurate. I kept reading, and I did regret it.

I haven't read the books yet (because they were completely spoiled) but yeah.

Essentially it says "don't read further" and if you do it's basically ten million times worse than an "it was all a dream" ending.

A most impressive gently caress you to the fans.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I heard those books ended lovely (which I would expect from modern Stephen King) but someone spoil me on why they're so lovely.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I liked the ending.

Roland gets to the top of the Tower, opens a door, and finds himself at the start of the series and the desert, only this time he has the Horn of Eld that he dropped the last time he went around.

Seriously after thinking about it I had no problem.

The last chunk of book leading up to that really loving sucked though.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Arya gets her sight back.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dead Man Posting posted:

Arya gets her sight back.

Jaime gets his Brienne-boner back.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
I only know about the ending to that series from reading about it on the web, but I think that's a really cool ending.

Was there something lacking in King's execution? Because I think it's actually pretty clever. I mean, I can see why dedicated fans would be butthurt, but... it still sounds pretty cool? I dunno. I'll probably never read the series, so maybe someone who read the whole thing can tell me why I'm dumb.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Maytag posted:

I liked the ending.

Roland gets to the top of the Tower, opens a door, and finds himself at the start of the series and the desert, only this time he has the Horn of Eld that he dropped the last time he went around.

Seriously after thinking about it I had no problem.

The last chunk of book leading up to that really loving sucked though.

I haven't read the series but considering King went all "stories and in particular me are the most important things in the universe" I have no problem with that ending at all. Journey not the destination played straighter than Bruce Willis in Die Hard. Sure.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I meant "what was the warning warning us about" more than the actual wording, but I guess that was answered anyway.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Edit: The warning was warning us that we would not like the ending, that it wouldn't satisfy. This is after the stupid loving climax I'm about to outline.

A big part of the series is how Roland just keeps getting dumped on and all tore up and he keeps trudging on. Also that existence is a wheel that just keeps on rolling. So that ending fits perfectly.

What was absolutely lovely was the final confrontation outside the Tower- the head evil dude called the Crimson King has been built up in not just this series but other books King wrote, and holy poo poo there he is this fight is going to be awesome oh wait that weird kid from Insomnia just draws a picture of the Crimson King and then erases it the end.

I didn't have much of a problem with King writing himself in a few books earlier, though the story kinda stumbled there for awhile (seriously Harry Potter references you stupid gently caress) but it really got back on track, some super emotional things happened, yes this is the book I've been waiting for since I first read The Gunslinger when I was 13 and then what a limp dick ending. Before the epilogue I mean. He really loving blew it.

He built a pretty elaborate world with all these cross-references and an evil that kinda spreads across most of his works then this kid erases it.

Also EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edit edit: A lot of people DID have a problem with the epilogue and the door at the top of the Tower, because they didn't understand what the series was about and were also extremely let down with the climax.

Edit: You can read some of the Coda/Epilogue here. I heard more people bitch about this than the stupid climax.

Maytag fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 23, 2012

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Ah ok, so the part people were disappointed with was the climax, not the part after the warning?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

More of both, from what I've seen.

You ever here people mocking that line about the man in black fleeing across the desert and the gunslinger following? There's a reason why,

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Jake Chambers is a warg.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Did you read the series because Roland was the warg but he had to use doors on a beach.

Also the first three books were absolutely loving amazing. I also enjoyed the fourth but there's mixed feelings on that one.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So basically the perfect ending to the story would be King actually dying in that car accident to a man who in photos around the time of the accident has extremely pronounced red-eye.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The "erasing the Crimson King" was dumb, but I personally liked Roland walking into the Tower and the door closing behind him as an ending. That was the journey, he got there, that's cool. I didn't really need to know what happened to him after, especially not that every room in the Tower was scenes from buddy's life until he gets to the top and it's a Door into himself and he's been doing this for who knows how loving long only now he has a horn and that's supposed to make it all better because a poem says so.

For me, the "extra" ending was just stupid and frustrating and actively detracted from the story. The extra ending of Black House, on the other hand, is a bittersweet reward for ol' Jacky boy. God pounds his nails, wolf!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So I spent some time getting caught up on this thread, which I hadn't checked since October.

It was exactly what I expected.

The fact that we've got years an uncertain amount of time before the GRRM's inevitable obesity-related death of exactly the same poo poo ahead of us thrills me to no end :allears:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Nilbop posted:

More of both, from what I've seen.

You ever here people mocking that line about the man in black fleeing across the desert and the gunslinger following? There's a reason why,

nobody mocks that line because its an awesome loving line.

I really liked the Dark Tower as a whole, but book 6 kinda sucked (Mia sucked) but that might have been the one with the Lovecraftian nightmare in the underground tunnel which ruled.

Its cool how the car accident changed how King looked at his life and the series, but one had to wonder what it would have ended up like otherwise.

I'm a sucker for "ka is a wheel" and neverending time loop endings, and thematically it was cool. Final battle sucked, so did the penultimate battle, but ultimately I was quite satisfied by the series.

The epilogue wasnt as bad as Harry Potter's, so...

I haven'y actually read much King, (such a meandering writer) but I read 3/4 of The Stand before it fell in a puddle and the first half of The Stand is amazing.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bigmcgaffney posted:

The epilogue wasnt as bad as Harry Potter's, so...

Thread idea/dare: write an epilogue for ASOIAF in the style of Harry Potter's

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

This is quite possibly the worst casting the show has done yet (Xaro Xhoan Daxos). "A bald man with a jewel in his nose from Qarth" >>> "Generic black man."

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 23, 2012

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is quite possibly the worst casting the show has done yet (Xaro Xhoan Daxos). "A bald man with a jewel in his nose from Qarth" >>> "Generic black man."

Seriously I thought the Qartheen were supposed to all be milky white.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Oakland Martini posted:

Seriously I thought the Qartheen were supposed to all be milky white.

I guarantee you if they had cast white people in this role people would be posting "Why are there no black people in this Afro-Euroasian analog continent"

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

What? Really? The boy-loving, milk-pale, CRYING MERCHANT is some generic butch looking black guy? :wtc:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nilbop posted:

I guarantee you if they had cast white people in this role people would be posting "Why are there no black people in this Afro-Euroasian analog continent"

Well at least they've fulfilled the "quota", whatever the hell that is.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Ravus posted:

What? Really? The boy-loving, milk-pale, CRYING MERCHANT is some generic butch looking black guy? :wtc:

Praytell, nuncle, what does an non-generic black guy look like?

I think we should see his acting before we condemn him, I must have skimmed over his description coz he was always just some sleazy euro-asian in my mind I think. I tend to ignore descriptions and roll with what ever horribly wrong image I create.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ravus posted:

He's a merchant; he or his family may have come from elsewhere. And I don't see anything wrong with having a gay character look masculine.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

He's a merchant; he or his family may have come from elsewhere. And I don't see anything wrong with having a gay character look masculine.

We're not talking about 'a gay character', they can be anything. We're talking about Xaro Xhoan motherfucking Daxos

CoK posted:

Xaro was a languid, elegant man with a bald head and a great beak of a nose

Dance posted:

“Shall I ask again?” wondered Xaro. “No, I know that smile. It is a cruel queen who dices
with men’s hearts. Humble merchants like myself are no more than stones beneath your
jewelled sandals.” A single tear ran slowly down his pale white cheek.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I wish Xaro and Edd would meet. Imagine the whirlwind romance :allears:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
How dare you seek to break up the greatest romance in the series?

Jolorous forever.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
A tale of star crossed brothers.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Why yall gotta be so racist? xXD gonna own.

www, give me a day and we'll see if I'm still in the mood for ASOIAF: FIFTEEN YEARS LATER AT THE DAYCARE

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Nonso Anozie will do a fine job as Xaro. If I was to be adventurous, I'd say it's another case of Syrio Forel's casting; character over appearance. I do wish he had face jewelry though, Qarth needs to feel exotic as hell.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm still holding out hope for Shahrukh Khan landing a role on this show.

Oh man, Shahrukh Khan :allears:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it has to do with anything about race, we just all thought it would be some guy with pale white skin.

It's like if goons found out that the actress that plays Dany doesn't really have platinum/silver hair. That would be a horrible spergfest.

EDIT: Oh gently caress what have I done?

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 23, 2012

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

I don't think it has to do with anything about race, we just all thought it would be some guy with pale white skin.

It's like if goons found out that the actress that plays Dany doesn't really have platinum/silver hair. That would be a horrible spergfest.

I watched the first episode of that horrendous Sword of Truth tv show and sperged when the main bad guy, Darken Rahl, was shown and he didn't have blond hair like he did in the book, but instead had dark brown. :spergin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Woken the dragoon.

I always figured that guy was black for some reason. But then I have horrendous reading comprehension. Like when Arya runs after the cat in the Red Keep and overhears Varys and another dude talking - Who the gently caress's the other dude? Never figured that out.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ravus posted:

We're not talking about 'a gay character', they can be anything. We're talking about Xaro Xhoan motherfucking Daxos
Fair enough, I didn't remember his description.

Dead Man Posting posted:

You momentarily took ASOIAF seriously. Don't worry; it happens to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I really hope a bunch of the TVIV goons didn't read the books.

The no-spoiler thread was the best reading material ever.

"No way, human being. Arya is totally gonna kill Joffrey or I'll never watch this show again!"