Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Argh, now I'm stuck trying to figure out what it is. Sounds a little more like Cetera than Gabriel, though. Maybe I'm hallucinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
What is the song that begins at 0:36 in this trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sVcPGpMdkI
Edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj9HiIrsuEY&feature=related Yay! ;)

And harder, a Latin American rock song, at least 5 years old, I can't remember any of the words because it was in spanish, maybe something to do with fire. I would describe it as "anthemic" totally useless description I know, I heard it in Costa Rica.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 22, 2012

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
This is driving me goddamn crazy.

During the summer I was listening to some sort of either mashup or fabriclive/mix/mixtape style thing. I know I listened to it quite a few times and enjoyed it, at one point Adele's Rolling in the Deep is mixed against what I believe may have been something by Hot Chip but I can't be sure.

One night in september we were drinking and playing croquet in my friend's back yard (as you would) when Rolling in the Deep came on the radio - I'd never heard it before and made some big show of "Holy poo poo! I know this from ______".

The next day I went to listen to that mix where I'd originally heard it and came up stumped, despite yelling about it loudly the night before. I've now wasted countless hours over the last few months looking for this song when it occasionally annoys the hell out of me that I can't remember - I've skimmed my whole music collection multiple times and nothing.

Someone help me before I lose my goddamn mind, forums upgrade of choice for whoever figures out what I'm rambling about.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Cometa Rossa posted:

You're not thinking of The Ecstasy of Gold from The Good The Bad & The Ugly are you?

This request is kinda specific and you have to know Victor Jara, but does anyone know what song is playing at the beginning of this video until about one minute in? I have most of his discography but I can't find this song.

Never mind, found it. It's called Canción del minero, for the curious

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've seen this movie a thousand times, so I can't believe I didn't realize it before.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Popcorn posted:

This is a slightly backwards one... the chorus of Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye reminds me heavily of an old song from the 70s or 80s. I keep thinking Peter Gabriel, but I can't place it. Does anyone else get deja vu?

edit: it's not a general thing, it's the chord change/melody specifically.

Sounds a lot like a Kate Bush arrangement, possibly Cloudbusting?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

One Swell Foop posted:

Sounds a lot like a Kate Bush arrangement, possibly Cloudbusting?

I know Kate Bush pretty well and I don't think it's her...

I've shown this to my dad and now it's driving him insane too. I'm a bit worried this is the musical equivalent of "that's the beauty of it! it doesn't do anything" though.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Niven posted:

This is driving me goddamn crazy.

During the summer I was listening to some sort of either mashup or fabriclive/mix/mixtape style thing. I know I listened to it quite a few times and enjoyed it, at one point Adele's Rolling in the Deep is mixed against what I believe may have been something by Hot Chip but I can't be sure.

One night in september we were drinking and playing croquet in my friend's back yard (as you would) when Rolling in the Deep came on the radio - I'd never heard it before and made some big show of "Holy poo poo! I know this from ______".

The next day I went to listen to that mix where I'd originally heard it and came up stumped, despite yelling about it loudly the night before. I've now wasted countless hours over the last few months looking for this song when it occasionally annoys the hell out of me that I can't remember - I've skimmed my whole music collection multiple times and nothing.

Someone help me before I lose my goddamn mind, forums upgrade of choice for whoever figures out what I'm rambling about.

Could be the version by Jamie xx, which was on quite a lot of mixtapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiswvTXdzA

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I was pretty severely inebriated in public a few years ago and one song has stuck with me since then. It was a mostly instrumental surf-rock-ska-punk thing and what may have been the only lyric (or the only one I can recall at least) was every so often the song would pause and someone would say the word "TARANTULA!" and it would start up again. Any ideas?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Popcorn posted:

This is a slightly backwards one... the chorus of Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye reminds me heavily of an old song from the 70s or 80s. I keep thinking Peter Gabriel, but I can't place it. Does anyone else get deja vu?

I've had the same problem with this song, other than Peter Gabriel, its always reminded me a bit of the Police.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I find that the chords, along with the vocal melody at the start of the first verse, are vaguely similar to Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers. Specifically, the introduction with Kate Bush singing 'jeux sans frontiers'.

Edit: Just read your post properly. The chorus doesn't fit with this at all sorry.

Mellomeh fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 23, 2012

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I was listening to a radio station passing through a city and they had the "greatest from the 60-70's" and I head a song that was all keyboard/synth. I have no idea how to describe it but I figure there weren't that many of that type that would be considered "greatest hits".

It was kind of techno or something, there's no way to search for this in google that I can think of.

Cupid Painted Blind
Feb 15, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I was listening to a radio station passing through a city and they had the "greatest from the 60-70's" and I head a song that was all keyboard/synth. I have no idea how to describe it but I figure there weren't that many of that type that would be considered "greatest hits".

It was kind of techno or something, there's no way to search for this in google that I can think of.

Popcorn - Hot Butter ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gB-sV4mDuw&feature=related

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Ezzer posted:

I was pretty severely inebriated in public a few years ago and one song has stuck with me since then. It was a mostly instrumental surf-rock-ska-punk thing and what may have been the only lyric (or the only one I can recall at least) was every so often the song would pause and someone would say the word "TARANTULA!" and it would start up again. Any ideas?

Wanna just rule this one out quickly, The Aquabats - Tarantula:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9MwNVg16uQ
It has actual verses and doesn't really have Tarantula in a "TEQUILA!" sort of way, but it could vaguely be what you describe.

What's worse is that I think I recall the song you're thinking of but I'm completely blanking on it.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Steve Holt! posted:

Could be the version by Jamie xx, which was on quite a lot of mixtapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiswvTXdzA

That was one of the first ones I came across, but it was much more similar to the original version with a male harmony sort of added in. Obviously I'm on top of the details here.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Cupid Painted Blind posted:

Popcorn - Hot Butter ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gB-sV4mDuw&feature=related

Hah, that's it! Amazing. Thank you.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Mellomeh posted:

I find that the chords, along with the vocal melody at the start of the first verse, are vaguely similar to Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers. Specifically, the introduction with Kate Bush singing 'jeux sans frontiers'.

Edit: Just read your post properly. The chorus doesn't fit with this at all sorry.

For gently caress's sake. Look at the comments on that video.

quote:

@EuphrasieF Obviously your brain is asleep. Go watch Eisenhower's farewell address speech and pay very very close attention to the part about the military industrial complex. Then watch the Kennedy speech about liberty and the secret society he gave when he announced he was having the treasury start to coin US dollars again. Kennedy was giving the country back to the people whom it belongs to and for that he took a 30.06 to the forehead that blew his temporal/parietal region out.

MasterWitchDoctor 1 week ago

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'm going to guess "Oxygene IV" by Jean Michel Jarre: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_I2ch8_TXc

It essentially brought that sort of stuff into the mainstream in the seventies and was a sizable hit.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I was at a restaurant, and I heard a cool cover of Pink Floyd's "Lucifer Sam". It was more of a hard rock song, and the singer seemed to be an American. Any help?

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

tinaun posted:

I was at a restaurant, and I heard a cool cover of Pink Floyd's "Lucifer Sam". It was more of a hard rock song, and the singer seemed to be an American. Any help?

Wikipedia posted:

Live and cover versions

"Lucifer Sam" was only performed live by Pink Floyd in 1967[5] and featured as an encore during many performances, mostly notably at the Games for May concert.

The Lightning Seeds covered the song as a B-side to their 1992 single "Sense"; it also appeared on their 2006 best of collection.

Neils Children released a limited edition 7" single featuring a cover of "Lucifer Sam" in tribute to Syd after his death.

The track has also been covered by the Black Crowes, Electric Hellfire Club, The Minders, The Flaming Lips, True West, Jay Farrar, Love and Rockets, Voivod, Shockabilly, The Sadies, The Three O'Clock, MGMT, and Spirits in the Sky.

I'm sure the version you're looking for is done by one of those bands!

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
Hey everybody, a friend had me watch this not-that-funny youtube, and I swear I know a song that's in it, but I can't identify it and it's driving me crazy. The video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-eZdcXbBs

one clip of the song plays between 0:53 and 0:57 and another from 3:57 to 4:01. There might be more clips, but I couldn't watch the movie any longer than that. Thanks for the help!

edit: wrong link!

King Gonorrhea fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 25, 2012

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Hiya!

Does anyone know what the song is in this video from ~2:48 to around like 3:17?
I've been dying to figure it out, I used Soundhound, Shazam, and Tunatic, and none of them could identify the song :[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7z25MrF1hk

Cute as heck fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 26, 2012

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
You had my same problem, and posted the wrong link

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

King Gonorrhea posted:

You had my same problem, and posted the wrong link

D'oh!

Thanks for the heads up :)

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

I have this feeling I should really know what the song is, but I just can't dredge it up. Where do the vocals from http://soundcloud.com/jfbdj/jfb-past-from-the-blast come from? Vocals start 27 seconds in.

ilmmaf posted:

In the movie "The Holiday", a song plays while Kate Winslet gets out of bed while she is staying in Cameron Diaz's house, about halfway through the film. As she wakes up, she pushes Cameron's cd player and a loud rock song with what I can remember to be the first words as "Wake up!" and then a rock riff. I looked at the soundtrack for the cd and got nothing, and want to set this as my own wakeup alarm. Halp!

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl

It doesn't have the words "wake up" in it but it's definitely the song that plays when kate hits the CD player as she wakes up.

Calantus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 26, 2012

Cupid Painted Blind
Feb 15, 2010

Calantus posted:

I have this feeling I should really know what the song is, but I just can't dredge it up. Where do the vocals from http://soundcloud.com/jfbdj/jfb-past-from-the-blast come from? Vocals start 27 seconds in.

Stevie Wonder - Master Blaster ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1qtRK3ILg&feature=related

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

That's it. And the song is as awesome as I thought, which is why it drove me crazy trying to figure it out. Cheers. :)

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Niven posted:

That was one of the first ones I came across, but it was much more similar to the original version with a male harmony sort of added in. Obviously I'm on top of the details here.

Was it the second track on this: http://www.bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2011/ ?

It's Adele mashed up with, amongst others, a bit of Fleetwood Mac.

Sorry it's not a direct link to the track, my phone is misbehaving.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What's the Half in the bag song at the beginning of almost every episode?

i.e. http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag/red-tails/

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

6EQUJ5 posted:

Was it the second track on this: http://www.bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2011/ ?

It's Adele mashed up with, amongst others, a bit of Fleetwood Mac.

Sorry it's not a direct link to the track, my phone is misbehaving.

The track names and mp3 links are listed in the site you linked. It's "Maya Jakobson vs. Lobsterdust – Deep Dream Control (Missy Elliott vs. Adele vs. Britney Spears vs. Fleetwood Mac vs. Tchaikovsky)".

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn
I am trying to remember the name of this band. In their music videos, they all dress with a rabbit face + ears on and black clothes. The drummer uses electric drums that are in a square shape. Their music has a sort of strange feel to it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Steve Holt! posted:

The track names and mp3 links are listed in the site you linked. It's "Maya Jakobson vs. Lobsterdust – Deep Dream Control (Missy Elliott vs. Adele vs. Britney Spears vs. Fleetwood Mac vs. Tchaikovsky)".

Yes, thank you, but I was suggesting this for another fellow, rather than seeking assistance myself. Thank you anyway though.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Oh oops I read "was it" as "what is". No more tired posting for me.

SuperS
Oct 28, 2007
i'm not that super, really
what is the name of the song at 6:27 of this DJ Krush set?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuorBPIrH94

Brother Larry
Dec 11, 2000
I have naked pictures of my girlfriend but I'm too whipped to share them with you.
I am usually good at remembering songs stuck in my head but this one has been plaguing me for days and I can never remember enough of it to actually look it up or remember. The clip in my head is near the end of the song, with this woman (black gospel style-ish) singing "amen" in a long drawn out way, like ameeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnn, several time. I know the song is slowish and downbeat, and I'm pretty sure its usually a male singer. As far as I know it's not a religiously affiliated song, just has that sample. It is most likely from indie electronic or metal genre as that is most of my collection.

This is driving me crazy, because I keep catching myself singing the amen part. Please help me and thank you if anyone has the magical ability to pull out something useful from this useless description.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Brother Larry posted:

I am usually good at remembering songs stuck in my head but this one has been plaguing me for days and I can never remember enough of it to actually look it up or remember. The clip in my head is near the end of the song, with this woman (black gospel style-ish) singing "amen" in a long drawn out way, like ameeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnn, several time. I know the song is slowish and downbeat, and I'm pretty sure its usually a male singer. As far as I know it's not a religiously affiliated song, just has that sample. It is most likely from indie electronic or metal genre as that is most of my collection.

This is driving me crazy, because I keep catching myself singing the amen part. Please help me and thank you if anyone has the magical ability to pull out something useful from this useless description.

Could it be Just a man by Faith no more? They don't sing "amen" but it fits all the other criteria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4L47kEcS0

Brother Larry
Dec 11, 2000
I have naked pictures of my girlfriend but I'm too whipped to share them with you.

Chernabog posted:

Could it be Just a man by Faith no more? They don't sing "amen" but it fits all the other criteria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4L47kEcS0

That's definitely not it, but thanks for trying. It's a good song. I've been still digging all day and can't find it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brother Larry posted:

could possibly be Portishead - All Mine?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've had zero luck trying to figure it out otherwise.

A few years ago I heard this fun song during a musical revue. It was something reminiscient of a showtune. It might have actually been a showtune, but I haven't heard it in a show I've seen. It's a simple talk singing style of song.

My memory isn't exact, but as I recall the gist of the song is of a humorous usage of the names of various towns in America with suggestive names. The man singing tells of a story about his love of a town, but then he drives all about to other towns with names indicating various salacious themes or actions. Eventually he grows tired of it all and returns to the town where he began.

I know this is kind of vague, but it would be awesome if anyone can recall what it is I'm thinking of. Been driving me crazy.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Bo-Pepper posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've had zero luck trying to figure it out otherwise.

A few years ago I heard this fun song during a musical revue. It was something reminiscient of a showtune. It might have actually been a showtune, but I haven't heard it in a show I've seen. It's a simple talk singing style of song.

My memory isn't exact, but as I recall the gist of the song is of a humorous usage of the names of various towns in America with suggestive names. The man singing tells of a story about his love of a town, but then he drives all about to other towns with names indicating various salacious themes or actions. Eventually he grows tired of it all and returns to the town where he began.

I know this is kind of vague, but it would be awesome if anyone can recall what it is I'm thinking of. Been driving me crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5T9eiWDuMU&feature=related Would it be this song perhaps? I heard it on the Dr. Demento show ages ago, and it's...well, kinda showtune-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
What is the name of the piece used in this video from SA's own Wolfpupy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmL0XkYlIa4