Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Your advice is great, Yuns. There needs to be a site somewhere about BJJ that gives you useful instruction on concepts without bogging itself down in actual techniques. Tips for instructing, tips for learning, maybe a map of how positions relate to each other for beginners, meditiations on the high level metagame, considerations in how you build a personal game, and stuff like that. When I was a white belt I was bogged down in memorizing as many cool sweeps and subs as I could and I really didn't have a very good framework to put all my moves in. I still don't, really.

I would totally put together such a site if some of y'all would write for it. It'd help keep me sane for a few months while I'm sidelined by injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I'll do the logo.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My instructors actually focus on the high level principles and framework for BJJ as well as teaching moves. I would love to contribute their thoughts, but I don't really feel that I can share all that much of it since it's up to them whether they want their stuff distributed. It's not about secrecy or anything. It's just like I feel like I'd be distributing a professor's lecture verbatim without their permission.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hey Yuns, do I remember correctly that you're involved in some respect with the NYC Ultimate Absolute today?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm not really involved in it but two of my friends, "Black Rob" Constance and Ryan, founded and run the competition. It's streaming for $9.99 through splitdraw.com

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

I'm not really involved in it but two of my friends, "Black Rob" Constance and Ryan, founded and run the competition. It's streaming for $9.99 through splitdraw.com

Yeah, it won't work on my computer for whatever reason. One of my training partners is competing and I'm trying to find play by play

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Is it Gary? If it is, as a side note, I've competed against him before.

EDIT: I hear ‎"Bjj Fights" on Facebook is posting ultimate abs results if you follow them

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

Is it Gary?

Yep. Looks like he beat Gurgel 6-2

quote:

If it is, as a side note, I've competed against him before.

Heh. grappling is bigger than it used to be, but it's still a small world.

quote:

EDIT: I hear ‎"Bjj Fights" on Facebook is posting ultimate abs results if you follow them

Cool, thanks.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php/topic,99122.0.html

Play by Play

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Awesome, thanks again.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan posted:

I signed up for my first comp, 400 competitors, 59 of those in my weight/skill group, nogi beginners <168lbs.
So stoked/nervous. Calf crushers forbidden in the rules unfortunately, I had been hitting them quite consistently in the gym.

Gonna have to concentrate on takedowns and guard passing, we luckily don't have as many wrestlefuckers sandbagging as in the states I hope.
So here are the results.

Got taken down with a single, then had a pretty active guard and won the first by catching a reverse triangle while getting my guard passed. Almost got his back from the half guard at one point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyjEshge2tQ

In the second I got dominated pretty much and kinda gave up when the RNC locked in and tapped pretty fast without really fighting it :smith:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJeXrlyfeg

Was a fun experience all in all, did ok for only training grappling so seldom. Dude who defeat me went on to the finals, where he got dqd for reaping the leg.

Critique obviously welcome, else I wouldn't post this poo poo here.

niethan fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 26, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

My instructors actually focus on the high level principles and framework for BJJ as well as teaching moves. I would love to contribute their thoughts, but I don't really feel that I can share all that much of it since it's up to them whether they want their stuff distributed. It's not about secrecy or anything. It's just like I feel like I'd be distributing a professor's lecture verbatim without their permission.

Fair enough, I'll leave it be for now.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

niethan posted:

So here are the results.

Got taken down with a single, then had a pretty active guard and won the first by catching a reverse triangle while getting my guard passed. Almost got his back from the half guard at one point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyjEshge2tQ

Bottom side control triangles rule

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
Does anybody have any experience with https://www.grapplersguide.com Does anybody know what's the difference between Grapplers Guide and Grapplers Guide 2.0? Is the former just access to the forums and the 2.0 version is a bunch of other stuff thrown in? It seems like a good resource but I'd like some input before I drop $30/month. That's like the same cost as 2 instructional DVD's per year so I'm interested in checking this out.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So here's an hour of Eddie Bravo rolling with Marcelo Garcia. The beginning kind of bummed me out, though. I miss going up that elevator. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47_Urqs-RM&list=UUnEib0pBIjXAHVoLxP8YtIA&index=1&feature=plcp

Only about 20 minutes in, but there's a lot of half guard action.

E: VV For some reason, it wouldn't show up on youtube searches even with the exact video title, but I found it on Eddie's youtube account VV

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 3, 2012

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks for the link I was looking for this last night!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Most of the Division 1 wrestling conference tournaments are today. Several of them have streaming video coverage and at least the finals of the Big 10 (BTN) and the Big 12 (Fox Sports Net) will be on TV.

Here's a link to the Big 12 stream

Big 10 stream This one might cost money

ACC Championships are on ESPN3.

If there is any interest I'll see if I can find streams for the other tournaments.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 3, 2012

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

niethan posted:

Critique obviously welcome, else I wouldn't post this poo poo here.

Get a better cameraman? Also "hold your foot" is still retarded sounding in German

Edit: I forgot to say great job on winning a match :)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

the yellow dart posted:

Get a better cameraman?

Yeah, I was gonna say, it's difficult to critique when the cameraman spends most of the match focusing on the referee's feet.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
His priority was (luckily) on coaching me

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
So I live in Houston and drove 3 hours to San Antonio this morning for a tournament and waited all day to get choked out in a minute, then drove back to Houston. Ugh!

I made a silly mistake by leaving my head out while going for, what I learned as the "Lucas sweep" from half guard, and got guillotined in the process. My head/neck was clearly not glued to his chest/stomach area like it should have been. Lesson learned though. I also need to be more patient. I had a failed guard pull, which lead to half guard, so I went to deep half, and he kept denying my waiter sweep, which is all I know from deep half, so I thought "crap, now what," so I went back to my regular half (with my knee shield), and attempted the Lucas sweep to, well, you know the result. I should have not been so adamant about continuing the Lucas sweep once his arms were wrapped around my neck.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
I like the pendulum from deep half because you've got so many options if it fails.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

I like the pendulum from deep half because you've got so many options if it fails.

Good point. I definitely need to start working on my options from there, instead of relying on the same thing over and over for that very reason.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

So here's an hour of Eddie Bravo rolling with Marcelo Garcia. The beginning kind of bummed me out, though. I miss going up that elevator. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47_Urqs-RM&list=UUnEib0pBIjXAHVoLxP8YtIA&index=1&feature=plcp

Only about 20 minutes in, but there's a lot of half guard action.

E: VV For some reason, it wouldn't show up on youtube searches even with the exact video title, but I found it on Eddie's youtube account VV

Thanks for the link; it's really interesting to see how Bravo's BJJ has changed since his competition days. Although goddamn, how bad a shape is he in that he's gasping for breath five minutes into an extremely light roll.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

Thanks for the link; it's really interesting to see how Bravo's BJJ has changed since his competition days. Although goddamn, how bad a shape is he in that he's gasping for breath five minutes into an extremely light roll.

probably less about good fitness and more the three inches of tar coating his lungs

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
But but but smoking weed makes you a better grappler

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
LA has been hit hard by chemtrails lately as well

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
It's the new world order. Wake up people.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
So I'm likely not going to have time to break down the NCAA championships which are March 15-17. If someone else wants to take on that mantle this year that would be great, otherwise I'll try to do something for the beginning of next week.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Those breakdowns rule, maybe when you get time it could just be a summary of what happened.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
I'll see what it's like when the brackets come out next week. Maybe I'll skip working out one day and do a write up.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

beadgc posted:

LA has been hit hard by chemtrails lately as well

This, but unironically.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Are any of you guys competing at the Pan Ams?

edit: I'm competing at medium heavy purple adult.

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 5, 2012

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

beadgc posted:

Does anybody have any experience with https://www.grapplersguide.com Does anybody know what's the difference between Grapplers Guide and Grapplers Guide 2.0? Is the former just access to the forums and the 2.0 version is a bunch of other stuff thrown in? It seems like a good resource but I'd like some input before I drop $30/month. That's like the same cost as 2 instructional DVD's per year so I'm interested in checking this out.
I paid for a "lifetime" membership on their a couple of years ago and wished I saved the money. If your determined to splash out $30 a month on a training website go to MGInAction.com

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

any of you guys from the tri-state area have any interaction with Doug Pelinkovic? he's in my store regularly, but i always thought he was just a gym rat. then i noticed he had a card for bronx martial arts academy, looked him up and found out he's a black belt under renzo and danaher. i'm thinking about checking the school out.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I train with Doug in John's morning class at Renzo's so obviously I'm biased in his favor. He runs a great school in the Bronx: excellent instruction, large and clean facility, etc. And his prices are cheaper than Manhattan. He is also a very nice guy who loves martial arts. (He is also a former top karate competitor as well) Doug is an incredible grappler and excellent instructor. So definitely check him out.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

cool, appreciate the info. may be time for me to start getting beat up after work.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

After you visit, let me know how it went. Doug also has an assistant BJJ instructor Andrew, who is a brown belt under Renzo/Danaher. Andrew is also an excellent grappler. Doug is such a beast on the mats. I see him absolutely tool good grapplers all the time. It's a shame that Doug doesn't compete.

EDIT: also, fatherdog, you have to drop in on John's morning subgrappling class and train with us sometime.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 6, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Xguard86 posted:

probably less about good fitness and more the three inches of tar coating his lungs

I would assume that Bravo smokes up from only the finest vaporizers. There's probably a volcano hooked to the HVAC system in his gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Judging by the Joe rogan podcast, no he isn't worried about the smoke's effect on his lungs.

he'll probably smoke weed out of a dead fish if you're offering.