Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Your best bet is to buy in bulk from a place where other people buy spices, because then you generally get things fresh, and for a much better price than buying yourself a gift box. If none of your normal local markets sell spices in bulk it would be worth checking out the ethnic places before resorting to Penzeys, and even then I think you could probably do better for yourself than a gift box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Your best bet is to buy in bulk from a place where other people buy spices, because then you generally get things fresh, and for a much better price than buying yourself a gift box. If none of your normal local markets sell spices in bulk it would be worth checking out the ethnic places before resorting to Penzeys, and even then I think you could probably do better for yourself than a gift box.

Eh alright. I live in Seattle so finding spices shouldn't be hard. Like I said, I'm lazy as hell. In fact I think there is a specialty spice shop that opened up somewhere downtown recently. Ill look around. Obviously there is also whole foods and PCC and trader joes.
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/products/bulk/spices.html Ill hit this up when i'm picking up some yogurt next time.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 6, 2012

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

Tigntink posted:

Eh alright. I live in Seattle so finding spices shouldn't be hard. Like I said, I'm lazy as hell. In fact I think there is a specialty spice shop that opened up somewhere downtown recently. Ill look around. Obviously there is also whole foods and PCC and trader joes.
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/products/bulk/spices.html Ill hit this up when i'm picking up some yogurt next time.

You can go to World Spice behind the market: https://www.worldspice.com/

They have excellent spices at reasonable prices, almost everything you'd desire and you can get a minimum of 1 ounce for spices and 2 oz for blends. I 100% recommend them. There are tons of places in Chinatown too. Let me know if you want an extensive list.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Joe Friday posted:

You can go to World Spice behind the market: https://www.worldspice.com/

They have excellent spices at reasonable prices, almost everything you'd desire and you can get a minimum of 1 ounce for spices and 2 oz for blends. I 100% recommend them. There are tons of places in Chinatown too. Let me know if you want an extensive list.

Oh christ, I work right across the street from the uwajimaya in the ID, where should I go?

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

Tigntink posted:

Oh christ, I work right across the street from the uwajimaya in the ID, where should I go?

Well, for super savings, you can go to the Dong Sing grocery on the corner of Maynard & Jackson and get some basics (curry powder, etc). Bring cash as they do accept cards but things are really cheap there. They also have some limited fresh herbs for pennies that you can buy and chop up/dry yourself. They are the people with the veggie displays out on the sidewalk.

Up to 12th and Jackson, Viet Wah has a huge spice selection and cheap fresh herbs as well. Great place to buy inexpensive rice too.

Up on 14th and Jackson there is a Mexican grocer that has spices and great meats and cheeses. Prices on produce are high there though.

The freshest and best in the city will be at World Spice though. I love that place and they are very nice and informative. You can get the best quality spices for like $1.50 an ounce that beat the pants off grocery store dust.

For more contribution, I tend to save on groceries by focusing on one cuisine type for a week or so and preparing dishes around the core ingredients of that particular food style. It saves cash because the dishes from the same part of the world usually use different combinations of the same stuff. It also gives me a chance to go into ethnic grocers that have all kinds of cool stuff for cheap.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Myopic posted:

I always mostly cook them through by boiling, then strain and mash with the onions and garlic. No fridge or anything (but then they cook in a few minutes since all you're really doing is crisping them up). Is it me that's got the weird method or you?

I've heard that dried tastes better (and my limited experience with canned backs that up), and of course dried is cheaper too, but I can't say for sure which is more 'right'. The fridge thing just makes them form into balls more easily - probably not absolutely necessary but it seems to help.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joe Friday posted:

For more contribution, I tend to save on groceries by focusing on one cuisine type for a week or so and preparing dishes around the core ingredients of that particular food style. It saves cash because the dishes from the same part of the world usually use different combinations of the same stuff. It also gives me a chance to go into ethnic grocers that have all kinds of cool stuff for cheap.
Ethnic grocers own. It can also be really cheap once you have all the basic stuff for various dishes. For instance, go check out the Chinese food thread and look at the list of things you should have. It's a big list, right? Well, I started cooking a lot of Chinese food because I got a wok recently and I bought all the stuff. It cost me about $20 at an Asian grocer to buy all of it, and it's not like they come in small bottles, either. So once you have all of it, all you need is various proteins and vegetables, so you can basically get what's on sale. And once you start to understand how it all comes together, you can start experimenting and trying different ingredients and proportions.

And don't think you need to live in a big city to find a good ethnic grocer. I live in Lincoln loving Nebraska and I bought everything at a grocer here.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

dino. posted:

For falafel, you soak the chickpeas, and then whiz them in the processor. They get cooked in the hot fat. Doing it that way avoids having to add bread to bind it, as the chickpeas bind to themselves when you soak and blend them. I generally go for a generous bit of coriander seed (crushed), a truckload of parsley, some green chiles, salt, and a pinch of baking soda. I find that keeping it simple generally nets great results.

The cooking in hot fat method is one I don't come across very often but god drat it is good.
One of the busiest places after hours in Sydney (kicking-out time in the middle of the city between 3 pubs & X no. of clubs) drop them in the deep fryer, then drains and smacks them down and flattens them out on a hot flattop grill. They get a delicious crust on them and the middle is till smooth and green with the herbs. Olympic Yeeros FTW.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BastardAus posted:

The cooking in hot fat method is one I don't come across very often but god drat it is good.
One of the busiest places after hours in Sydney (kicking-out time in the middle of the city between 3 pubs & X no. of clubs) drop them in the deep fryer, then drains and smacks them down and flattens them out on a hot flattop grill. They get a delicious crust on them and the middle is till smooth and green with the herbs. Olympic Yeeros FTW.

People do falafel without hot fat? Howfuck else can they be done? Ugh, please don't tell me, I'll likely feel sick. Probably some baked abortion.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

dino. posted:

People do falafel without hot fat? Howfuck else can they be done? Ugh, please don't tell me, I'll likely feel sick. Probably some baked abortion.

Don't worry it says they are dropped in the deep fryer first.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Kenning posted:

That is a terrible video Jesus.

It really is, but it is a delicious food, and if anyone hasn't tried it they should. I think it is my favourite form of potato.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

feedmegin posted:

I've heard that dried tastes better (and my limited experience with canned backs that up), and of course dried is cheaper too, but I can't say for sure which is more 'right'. The fridge thing just makes them form into balls more easily - probably not absolutely necessary but it seems to help.

I've never been able to tell the difference between the two but then there always seems to be a large stretch of time between my falafel-cookings for some reason, so it's probably just my memory. On sticking together, the only thing that stops them forming balls properly for me is my tendency to say "you can never have too much onion" - I've found that yes, you can, but only if it's affecting the structural integrity of your balls (sorry but I can't help snickering here - I'm 12 years old at heart, not nearly 30). Food processor would sort that out I guess but I like 'em chunky :v:

Feral Human
Feb 17, 2012

dino. posted:

Dino's Awesome advice from Page 1.

Dino I am a little bit speechless at your excellent advice. I plan on going to the store with a grocery list penned entirely by you, and I will emerge so much closer to the diet and lifestyle I want. loving excellent advice, mate.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Tigntink posted:

trader joes.

Of something I discovered at trader joes at random - you know how they have those pepper grinders for $2 or so, where it's not much pepper but comes with the built in grinder thing?

There's one in the same area that says smoked salt, in the same grinders. Very unique, and has a lot of applications (who doesn't use salt in cooking anyway?). Very drastically different flavor.

Get that - I strongly recommend this to add a very unique and tasty flavor to a ton of recipes. $2 is in the "I'm poor" category, right? (not trying to insult). I had one of these last me 6 months so far, and I'm only halfway through it. Truly amazing in soups and specific recipe combos (white pepper with smoked salt = delish, such as with making mashed potatoes).

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
That salt sounds good! We have celery salt and garlic salt that I already add to everything because I am a salt fiend, but I've never seen smoked salt! I'll have to get my rear end into a Trader Joe's sometime.

One thing that's probably been said in this thread (it's been a few days and I can't remember but it comes up in every poor cooking thread ever) is pre-making your meals for work. A year ago or so, we invested in a GIANT skillet which is not only awesome for making huge amounts of bacon (what omnivore doesn't love bacon for breakfast?) but is invaluable in helping us prep meals for work weeks. This past week, my fiance did up a massive amount of stir fry - every veggie we had in the freezer (including some generic stir fry mix, spinach, snap peas and carrots) plus strips of chicken breast and rice. He ended up with about 12 servings, 10 of which went straight into the fridge in single-serve tupperware (but they could also have gone into the freezer if we weren't freaks who don't mind eating stir fry every day). I've had a 10-day stretch at work, which means the last thing I want to do is think about lunches. Instead, I can go to the fridge and nab a serving of stir fry and run out the door and I'll know that I'll always be well-fed at lunch time and don't have to try to pack something balanced and/or tasty at the last minute. A baggie of nuts and another of pretzels live in my lunch box and are refilled when needed, and I toss fresh fruit or yogurt in as 'dessert'. It's perfect :3

I do have to decant my yogurt into smaller take-along containers since we buy it in bulk but that's the most work-intensive my lunches get when we have prepped meals in the fridge.

So: Invest in a nice lunch box and a giant skillet and a giant pot. Make giant amounts of food, fridge/freeze it, and keep some fruit on hand!

For some original content, I suggest investigating among neighbors and co-workers for seasonal produce... when you're poor, a neighbor's garden can be a tasty way to add variety to meals. I grow some of my own veggies but as with most people, my garden veggies ripen all at once and then I can't eat them all. Giving them away isn't uncommon, especially if you offer something small in trade like a recipe or help with a task at work or car waxing or helping with lawn care/snow shoveling. Obviously this works best if you have neighbors or coworkers with garden space but you'd be surprised who has gardens near you! Now is the time to start buttering people up so that when summer hits and their cucumbers are taking over their yard, they'll think of you as the nice guy who would enjoy some!

I am not above sucking up a little bit if it means free locally-grown food.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Faerunner posted:

I am not above sucking up a little bit if it means free locally-grown food.
If you know anyone who grows zucchini, you won't have to suck up; just knowing your phone number will ensure that you'll have enough zucchini to last into the next five apocalypse predictions.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Actually where will you be living in August and how can I reach you?

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
A few other great cheap meal ideas,

At least where i'm at, sometimes I can get 4-6 turkey legs for around 6 bucks. 4-6 GIGANTIC turkey legs.

A simple and easy way to prepare them is put a bit of garlic powder or seasoning of your choice, and cover them in a thin coating of teriyaki for that little mmmm taste, stick them in the oven on 350 for a few hours, bam...about 3 meals for 6 bucks

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Malthuras posted:

A few other great cheap meal ideas,

At least where i'm at, sometimes I can get 4-6 turkey legs for around 6 bucks. 4-6 GIGANTIC turkey legs.

A simple and easy way to prepare them is put a bit of garlic powder or seasoning of your choice, and cover them in a thin coating of teriyaki for that little mmmm taste, stick them in the oven on 350 for a few hours, bam...about 3 meals for 6 bucks
This. Turkey is so cheap and plentiful, I like the mince for a kheema.
Chicken legs which go for amazingly cheap where I live. Even the organic ones are ≤50c each. I rub them with pureed garlic out of a jar, season and put on a rack over a roasting dish with some water in the bottom for 20-30 minutes. Lunch on $1.50 a day with whatever leftover salad or rice I have.
Or feed a battalion of party guests for gently caress all if they're the cut down 'lovely legs' variety.

BingitsLola
Nov 17, 2007
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
I would just like to start off by thanking Dino and others for helping me (and my boyfriend) really get into a healthy, wallet friendly cooking routine. I was eating healthy enough, but spending an enormous amount of money on pre-packaged Trade Joe's whatever weeks I could afford it. Over the last two months I've cut our grocery bill down to less than 1/3 of what it was and I am making some amazing meals! I would also like to add that I found a small arab market that has amazing cheese and spices that I doubt I would have tried beforehand.

I've been making a whole chicken each week. I brine it for 5-6 hours in salt water, dry it overnight, and then smear butter and a cumin/rosemary/sage rub on it. I'm still experimenting, but it is so delicious.

Then I make no knead bread, and have open face chicken sandwiches. Or chicken quesadilla's (not often, not great for you I know)or chicken and rice. The possibilities are endless.

I will also sometimes buy a large pre-sliced Ham. Roast it, use it for dinner for two nights, then ham sandwiches, dice it and put it in salads, and finally make split pea soup with it.

I soaked the peas overnight and they still seemed dry after I cooked them. Any thoughts? I had the same problem with beans. I would love some input on how to cook beans correctly, and any tips and tricks to make them delicious!

I boil a dozen eggs and store them for quick breakfasts and salads.

I get radishes for dirt cheap and add them to my salads along with a cut up hard boiled egg and chopped onions (or ham and chicken if I'm feeling frisky). Very satisfying.

Rice was bland until I took the advice of adding salt, olive oil, and now some cumin while cooking. I have a little 15$ rice cooker that I also use to steam vegetables and it was a great investment. I now like rice more than even mashed potatoes which I didn't even think was possible.

Got 2 1/2 lbs of ground beef and made stuffed peppers, and then spaghetti and meatballs this week with homemade garlic bread.

Chicken stock (as mentioned a million times in this thread)I picked up a stock pot for 3$ and gave it a go. Now I make it every week.
Amazing! I save all my veggie scraps throughout the week, throw in some extra onions, celery, cumin, red pepper, etc.

Then finally chicken noodle soup!

I would really love some more thoughts on fairly simple veggie ideas as I'm sticking mostly to salad and steamed carrots. I did get some zucchini that I plan to try and roast in the oven with some lemon juice. But I'm not really sure where to go from there. I've been slowly working on learning how to cook and not even a year ago I was mostly living off of hamburger helper. I absolutely love the process, I'm so proud of my food, and my grocery budget! Thank you Goons!

Also please stop putting up ideas like canned soup recipes, Top Ramen, and hotdog pasta, that stuff is garbage and completely derailing this incredible thread.

BingitsLola fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 29, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
With your veggies, make a vegetable soup! In a pot, throw some olive oil and saute some onions and garlic. Add a can of drained tomatoes and let it simmer a bit. Then add some diced carrots and potatoes, along with water. Let it all simmer, and add spices to taste. I like thyme and oregano, but throw whatever you want in there. Fresh cracked black pepper is awesome. Let the potatoes and carrots soften to a texture you're okay with, then add a bit of pasta (or, as people in the General Questions Thread have pointed out to me, leftover rice). It's great with some grated parmesan on top.

One thing I do is throw whatever OTHER vegetables I have in there. I had some leftover rainbow chard last time I made the soup, and threw it in near the end, about 10 minutes before it was finished. The soup was colorful and delicious. It's a nice, hearty meal, great with some crusty bread.

Or you can throw whatever (firm) veggies you have into a curry. Follow one of dino.'s recipes, and check the vegan food thread for some other ideas. Always a good idea to check when you have veggies. By the way, one nice way to firm up any vegetable curry is tofu. Trader Joe's tofu is $1.50/lb, and it's awesome. Many ethnic markets also sell cheap tofu.

YET ANOTHER WAY to eat greens is to cook them up with some sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. Chop up some kale or collard greens or whatever greens you have. In a pan, heat some olive oil and quickly saute a bit of ginger and garlic. Then add the greens, toss with sugar and soy sauce, and cover for a few minutes, until tender. So good. Not sure whether it'd be good with other veggies, but greens are the best and everyone should eat more greens. This is really good served with some jerk chicken.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 29, 2012

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Vegetable ideas!

Parsnips: Peel with a vegetable peeler, cut into sticks 1/2" thick and 2-3" long. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and put in a 350 degree oven until they are brown on the bottom (~15 min?). They taste like a chewy, nutty, sweeter potato. I like to roast them this way with carrots.

Cauliflower: Cut into florets, then add to boiling water and boil them until they are able to be pierced by a fork. Drain them, and then mash them. Add butter, salt, and maybe a little milk or cream while you mash them - keep tasting and adding more butter and salt until they are delicious. You can add boiled parsnips, turnips, carrots, or rutabaga to this as well - any root vegetable, really.

Brussel sprouts: Cut off ends and slice in half. Cut 2 slices of bacon into small pieces, and fry them in a pan until there is a fair amount of bacon grease. Saute the brussel sprouts in the bacon grease til they soften up (you might want to remove the bacon pieces if they get too crispy, but you should be able to get the brussel sprouts cooked by the time the bacon is done)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
You mention that even after soaking overnight that your peas and beans are 'dry'. Do you mean that they are tough or crunchy after cooking, or are they actually dry, as in raw, in the middle?

Either way, there could be a few things affecting this. First off, how much water are you using for how much beans/peas? 1:1, 2:1? Are you salting the soaking liquid? Are you salting the cooking liquid? Are you soaking them in a covered pot, sitting on the counter or in the fridge?

It's a lot of questions, but any one of them could be affecting the final results.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If your dried peas and beans continue to have a weird gritty/crunchy texture no matter the method you use or how long you cook them, it may be that they're old. If you bought them from a store with low turnover I'd put my money on that.

If you can, buy from stores with high turnover and don't buy more than you can use in six to eight months. Dried beans do go "off" even if they don't actually go bad. I think that they have about a year, give or take, before they simply won't cook up properly.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Has anyone used pork chops (boneless center cut) to make pulled pork?

There is a grocery store near me that always has really good deals on fresh meat. Last week I got some great pork chops for $2.29/pound. Ended up making some Garlic Parm Crusted Pork Chops. Turned out great. Now I am thinking BBQ Pulled Pork.

Google tells me to get it as tender as I want, I should throw them in a crock pot all day. Has anyone tried this? Will the come out as tender as a pork shoulder?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
If you have good storage then you can store for longer than a year, but that means cool, dark storage in sealed containers. You can soak them for a couple of days to try and plump them up, and you can cook them longer in a pressure cooker.
When they just won't do that you can grind them up to add to bread dough or use the meal as a thickener in a soup or stew.

Don't eat em when they smell or taste stale or rancid

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 29, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BastardAus posted:

Chicken legs ... put on a rack over a roasting dish with some water in the bottom for 20-30 minutes.

What temp are you baking them? I usually roast mine for an hour @ 400F, turning once, makes the skin crispy and the meat really tender.

BingitsLola
Nov 17, 2007
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

CzarChasm posted:

It's a lot of questions, but any one of them could be affecting the final results.

They were still a little tough and grainy after cooking. I put them in an open bowl on the counter for roughly 24 hours I would say 1:2ish. I didn't salt the soaking liquid but I did salt the soup when I made it. I'm not sure about the turnover at the grocery store, I'll have to grab another bag and try again!

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
For people talking about Costco, get a Costco member to buy you a Costco cash card & you don't need a membership...

quote:

You must be a Costco member to purchase or reload Costco Cash Cards. Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Puerto Rico or on costco.com. Costco Cash balances may be used toward membership or merchandise.

CycleGeek
Apr 30, 2009

BingitsLola posted:

They were still a little tough and grainy after cooking. I put them in an open bowl on the counter for roughly 24 hours I would say 1:2ish. I didn't salt the soaking liquid but I did salt the soup when I made it. I'm not sure about the turnover at the grocery store, I'll have to grab another bag and try again!

Not sure if a $60 cooking implement is in your budget, but a 15 psi stainless-steel pressure cooker like this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000Z6JIW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

is the absolute key to making quick work of soups, stews, and tough greens. I can crank out split pea soup from dry beans in 10 minutes of steam time (plus prep and sauteeing of onions and ham pieces, etc). Basically the principle of pressure cooking is that by raising the pressure in the environment you also raise the boiling point of water, so anything that

It's the opposite of a slow-cooker. My grandmother got one of these for my mom's wedding because the old lady remembered how expensive it was to buy charcoal and firewood in the Philippines. Think of it - how tired would your arms be if you had to chop the wood to slow-cook a beef stew for four hours? The pressure cooker makes it in 20 minutes!

If you just consult a website like

http://www.fastcooking.ca

you'll get a lot of tips on cooking stuff in it.

Make sure not to get an aluminum one - the aluminum reacts poorly with acidic foods plus you really don't want it in your bloodstream. Also the aluminum ones cook at less than the standard 15 psi, so if you get one all your recipes are going to have to change.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
Prestos and Mirros cook at about 15 psi, the older Mirros have a rocker weight that has 5-10-15lb settings.

If you can't afford the spendier steel ones and you are worried about Aluminum you can put a steel bowl inside to cook in. It saves the clean up and I find the Al pans get clogged up with the hard water we have around here.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

Captain Payne posted:

A lot of people in this thread have advocated slow cookers/crock pots, but I think you should also consider getting a rice cooker. I'm in a similar situation budget and time-wise as yourself, and I can put a couple cups of rice, some black beans, green beans, chopped onions etc in there and it's done cooking in 20 minutes with no work from me.

I have a zojirushi rice cooker, can I put rice in with beans and other stuff and cook it? If so, how?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BingitsLola posted:

I would really love some more thoughts on fairly simple veggie ideas as I'm sticking mostly to salad and steamed carrots. I did get some zucchini that I plan to try and roast in the oven with some lemon juice. But I'm not really sure where to go from there.
First off, congratulations on getting your grocery bill under control. It's a wonderful feeling to know that you tried something new, and it yielded tangible results.

If you're taking stupid easy simple, start with the microwave, if you're not paranoid about it. Get whatever veg you have (broccoli, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage), chop them into about 1 inch pieces, and toss them in a mix of oil of your choice, herbs of your choice (for mushrooms I like thyme, for tomato I like basil or cilantro, and for anything else, oregano and marjoram do me right), salt, black pepper, red chile flakes, and either cumin, coriander, or paprika, and zap for five minutes (covered) in a microwave safe dish. If they're not cooked through, give it a couple more minutes. They're dead simple to make, and very quick when you're in a hurry.

If you have a bit more time, do the universal South Indian technique for drat near every vegetable you can have, and dry roast them on the stove.

1 TB canola or peanut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seed (black or white; do not substitute powdered)
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/4 tsp sesame seed (I add sesame seed, because I can't always find the Indian sesame oil that gives the authentic flavour; this seems to get the job done)
2 pinches turmeric
1 - 2 lbs of chopped vegetables of your choosing
1/4 cup water, reserved
1/4 tsp red chile flakes
Salt, to taste

In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over highest heat. When the oil shimmers and moves around the pan easily, sprinkle in the mustard seed evenly across the surface of the oil, and STEP BACK. The mustard seeds will pop, and try to escape the pan. This is normal. To corral them in, slap on a splatter guard or the lid for the pot. Wait about 15 - 30 seconds for the popping noise to subside, and add the cumin seeds. Stir lightly for 15 seconds, and add the sesame seeds, the pinch or two of turmeric, and the chopped vegetables. Stir well. If you take too long to add your chopped vegetables, the sesame seeds will fly all over your kitchen, and the turmeric will burn, as will the rest of the spices. Be quick about it, and you're fine.

Stir everything very well to combine the spices, fat, and turmeric. Drop the heat to medium low, and cover the lid. Stir every two minutes or so. When the vegetables are mostly tender, sprinkle in teh red chile flakes and salt. If the pan gets too dry, and you feel nervous about burning, splash in a tablespoon or two of water to loosen things up, and stir to combine. When the veggies are tender, check for salt, and adjust as needed.

Once you've mastered the Indian stir-fry technique, which is mainly spices and veggies, you can add any number of variations. What I've walked you through with the fat and whole spices, is called a tarka, and can be used for drat near anything, from beans to veggies to grains. If you like onions, add them after the spices pop, let them get tender, then add the veggies/beans/grains. If you like garlic too, add the garlic along with the veggies. If you like grated ginger, add it along with the red chile flakes. If you want a more sweet spice blend (like for sweet potatoes, beans, etc), start with cumin seed, coriander seed, fennel seed, a couple of cloves, a couple of crushed cardamom pods, a bay leaf, and a stick of cinnamon (not cinnamon powder, as cinnamon powder gets slimy and gross when cooked), then proceed as normal.

Again, as before, you can add any aromatics to your tarka that you enjoy: carrots, celery, bell peppers, chopped chile peppers, onions, ginger, garlic, whatever. The sky's the limit. And, depending on when you add said aromatic, you will have different degrees of taste coming from them. For example, if you add garlic first, and then onions and ginger together, you'll get a very subtle, sweet garlic taste. If you add garlic later on, you get a more pungent garlic taste. If you add the ginger first, the ginger bits will stick to the bottom of the pot, so you'd best be ready with some water to get things moving again, else it'll burn like hell, even at low heat. If you add no onions or garlic, and just use the spices, you've got a perfectly respectable flavour base for all kinds of food.

Just experiment, and you'll find many lovely ways of cooking veg. These are just a couple.

Oh. Also, bonus points for sprinkling a few toasted nuts over the finished dish. Or topping with fresh chopped herbs. Or, using a few squeezes of lime or lemon juice to finish.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Anyone know any recipes for cheap marinade? My meat-cooking needs an upgrade.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

punissuer posted:

For people talking about Costco, get a Costco member to buy you a Costco cash card & you don't need a membership...

Don't advertise for Costco in here - they are a terrible company that treats their customers like criminals. Moreover, there is is no "deal" you can get there that you can't get at various and sundry other establishments. Also, every time you shop there, you contribute to the further corporatization of our food chain as well as exacerbating the environmental and societal problems which are the result of American urban planning.

Burn down all of the Costcos.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't advertise for Costco in here - they are a terrible company that treats their customers like criminals. Moreover, there is is no "deal" you can get there that you can't get at various and sundry other establishments. Also, every time you shop there, you contribute to the further corporatization of our food chain as well as exacerbating the environmental and societal problems which are the result of American urban planning.

Burn down all of the Costcos.

Hah, I had forgotten about this.

Costco constantly sells car tires and batteries cheaper then anywhere else I have found. They also have good deals on lower grade mattresses and sometimes amazing deals on shop shelving and tool boxes. I also like being able to buy restraunt type boxes of tin foil and huge packs of kitchen towels. Don't even get me started on their great selection of cheap work socks.

The only food there worth buying is packaged goods in hug boxes. Does it really matter where I buy my breakfast cereal or gallon jug of peanuts? Will my cheerios taste better if I got them at a farmer's market?

Buying "fresh" foods there is kinda dumb but they are an excellent large electronics/shop/garage/kitchen supply/work clothing store.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

1. Throw pork loin into slow cooker.
2. Cover with a can of root beer.
3. Wait 8 hours.
4. Shred and consume with favourite BBQ sauce.

I'm being serious and it tastes awesome. Two meals worth of meat right there, more if you eat smaller portions.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

jazz babies posted:

3. Wait 8 hours.

I'm being serious and it tastes awesome. Two meals worth of meat right there, more if you eat smaller portions.

Use something like shoulder or butt at least. :colbert: Cheaper than a loin and is better for slow cooking. Also, use some fuckin seasonings.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Use something like shoulder or butt at least. :colbert: Cheaper than a loin and is better for slow cooking. Also, use some fuckin seasonings.

Some people don't HAVE seasonings. That's just the basic to-do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

jazz babies posted:

3. Wait 8 hours.

This is the sort of thing you call bullshit on until you've had it. You've reminded me of the Sunday ham we made at the upscale deli I used to work at.

I don't recall exact measurements, and anyway we were doing ~24 pounds at a time.

Whole, baked ham.
Place in electric roasting pan (one of those Nesco jobbies).
Pour Cherry 7-Up over the top, to a depth of an inch or two.
On top of the ham, place quite a lot of brown sugar. Then sprinkle heavily with ground cloves, ground nutmeg... it's been a while, maybe some cinnamon?
Cook for 4-6 hours.
Allow to cool slightly and slice for sandwiches.