Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

ImpAtom posted:

No, the base game has the Skill Cards and new stuff as well.

Basically they kept the adjustments from FES (I'd say the MC weapon limitation is related to the P4 battle adjustments, since I think he can only use one weapon too), so if you think of them as porting the main game from FES you could kind of argue nothing has changed but the battle system.

Regardless, I like the added content, and I think as the main game stands they really aren't going to change it. Sure, it's maddening that the suspect is handed to us on a silver platter, but I feel like most Japanese mysteries take you along for the ride instead of being proper whodunits anyway, so it could be a (unfortunate) cultural thing. I'm also fine if P4G doesn't have a female side - it'd be fun, but really a superficial change because that MC already has Social Links with the investigation team. What are we gonna do, date Kanji? I take it back, I'd totally try a romance path with Kanji.

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Love triangle between FemC, Kanji, and Naoto.

Then a scene with Yosuke acting like an rear end in a top hat and getting his rear end beat by all three.

(I wanted to be careful with spoilers, I know this thread is read by a lot of people new to the SMT games.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Kimitsu posted:

blah blah blah

Uh, there are pretty explicit spoilers there.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dammmit, I stopped playing Persona 4 when I heard the vita game was coming out. I guess I should've stopped reading this thread too.

Edit: It's cool now. Good thing I'm terrible at remembering Japanese games. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 23, 2012

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

nrook posted:

Uh, there are pretty explicit spoilers there.

Sorry, saw his name being bandied about and it completely slipped my mind. Edited!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Check out what you get in the limited edition of Persona 4: The Golden, plus a picture of Teddie skiing!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

Check out what you get in the limited edition of Persona 4: The Golden, plus a picture of Teddie skiing!

:what:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
None of that is as cool as getting Junpei's hat for preordering P3P.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

:what:

You should see what they package some of the Super Robot Wars games with.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

ImpAtom posted:

The male character is limited to short swords too now.

That made me angry. My Main Character punches things, screw these weak pointy swords.

I actually found P3P to be a step in the wrong direction. I could not get immersed in the characters because they cut out all character animations and just left me with sound effects and static pictures. I can understand wanting a female main character option for P4G, but my guess is they wanted to get this out fairly quickly, and that meant not taking the time it took for them to make P3P happen.

I am excited for P4G simply because having a bit of new content will give me an excuse to play Persona 4 again despite having a giant backlog of games.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Schlegel Mach posted:

None of that is as cool as getting Junpei's hat for preordering P3P.

I preordered and didn't get it due to limited supply (Read: my Gamestop apparently only got one hat). I haven't had a reason to preorder since. :(

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You should see what they package some of the Super Robot Wars games with.

Record of Agarest War might outdo them.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
They really needed to put Alice Teddie in there instead.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kimitsu posted:

I preordered and didn't get it due to limited supply (Read: my Gamestop apparently only got one hat). I haven't had a reason to preorder since. :(

I didn't get the book that the P4 comes with when I preordered from Gamestop as well. If there's ever any preorder bonus I actually want (which is rare) you have to do Amazon or something since Gamestop either won't get it or the clerks will just pocket it themselves.

I think the hat was the only thing I can remember actually really wanting so I guess learning the lesson with P4 was a mixed blessing.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Record of Agarest War might outdo them.

Googled that one and you ain't kidding.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I think a female MC option in P4 could be better than in 3, since there's at least two characters in 4 having issues with gender roles. Could've been an interesting contrast to see how their relationships differ with a change of MC gender. Kind of like how Yukari opened up way faster to female MC.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If they wanted to add more storytelling to P4G, they should just add a Yu Mode.

I'd buy extra copies for that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

I think a female MC option in P4 could be better than in 3, since there's at least two characters in 4 having issues with gender roles. Could've been an interesting contrast to see how their relationships differ with a change of MC gender. Kind of like how Yukari opened up way faster to female MC.

I suppose, but who would she date? There's less appeal for me because Persona 4 has no good dating prospects for a FeMC. It would be interesting to see other relationships though.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the male cast of P3 and the female cast (and Kanji) of P4. Does anyone want to date Teddie or Yosuke?

Come to think of it, I also can't imagine a FeMC palling around with Yosuke. Would they have you buddy with Chie instead and have Yosuke beg to stick around? If they treated him like Junpei it might be alright. I disliked Junpei for the first chunk of P3, but he especially grew on me in P3P.

Perhaps a FeMC friendship route would involve helping Yosuke become less of a loser.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Day 6, I have no clue what ending I'm going to get since I seem to have opened up quite a number of them (though I am trying for Gin's since I appear to have the option), I put Cloud Strife's strength up to 12 just to make him more flexible and am now at the point where I can just dump magic all day, and about 50% of the demons in my rotation have some combination of Drain, Holy Dance, Recarm, and Media. As soon as I crack Mediarahan it's loving on. I am actually considering skipping fusing a Tyrant Hecate (since I don't need it to crack the skill, obviously) because I don't want to really give up anything else I have to fuse it, odd as that sounds. I am really looking forward to putting Black Frost in my party when I get the chance.

Also, if P4G gets a female route I will be pleased as punch, the female route in P3P made it worth the replay alone. I am apparently a goddamn sucker for The Same Game With New Stuff Added In.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Nessa posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the male cast of P3 and the female cast (and Kanji) of P4. Does anyone want to date Teddie or Yosuke?

Come to think of it, I also can't imagine a FeMC palling around with Yosuke. Would they have you buddy with Chie instead and have Yosuke beg to stick around? If they treated him like Junpei it might be alright. I disliked Junpei for the first chunk of P3, but he especially grew on me in P3P.

Perhaps a FeMC friendship route would involve helping Yosuke become less of a loser.

I like reverse harems, so I'd totally give romancing Yosuke a try. It's definitely harder to write in a female main character with Persona 4's main cast, though Yosuke might have an in with the "Hey, fellow transfer student. I'm the son of the manager of the store your cousin really likes." if, say, there was an event where you brought Nanako to Junes.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nessa posted:

Does anyone want to date Teddie or Yosuke?

Yes, it's just that most of them would prefer to do it with the male protagonist. :cheeky:

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

vilkacis posted:

Yes, it's just that most of them would prefer to do it with the male protagonist. :cheeky:

This is actually pretty funny considering what happened in the last episode of the anime. Basically Yosuke has a moment where he looks into the MC's eyes during the Group Date Cafe and realizes that he's on the fast track to wanting the MC's body

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
I'm playing Nocturne for a class (best class ever) and I'm wondering. I'm about 3 hours in and have yet to notice this game being particularly difficult. It requires a bit more strategy than 'mash the attack command' but has yet to actually make me throw my controller in rage. Am I just not far enough, or is this game easier than people say?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HarkToTheLoons posted:

I'm playing Nocturne for a class (best class ever) and I'm wondering. I'm about 3 hours in and have yet to notice this game being particularly difficult. It requires a bit more strategy than 'mash the attack command' but has yet to actually make me throw my controller in rage. Am I just not far enough, or is this game easier than people say?

A lot of Nocturne's difficulty is exaggerated. There's a few roadblocks that tend to be memorable but it really isn't that hard.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I think a lot of people just remember Nocturne as harder than it really is because it was their first encounter with the series. v:shobon:v

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I just hope they add the most important feature, romance s.link with Kanji for the male PC :allears:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

HarkToTheLoons posted:

This might go without saying, but are you actually playing on "hard"? People don't get worked up to controller-flinging levels of rage off Nocturne's normal mode.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm cracking open Digital Devil Saga for the first time, is there anything particularly egregious to keep in mind? I've had some experience with Nocturne, so I'm not wholly clueless. Also, if I start learning a Mantra, switch it with a different one halfway through, and then switch it back, do I have to pay money for the first mantra again? Am I buying it, or renting it?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I'm cracking open Digital Devil Saga for the first time, is there anything particularly egregious to keep in mind? I've had some experience with Nocturne, so I'm not wholly clueless. Also, if I start learning a Mantra, switch it with a different one halfway through, and then switch it back, do I have to pay money for the first mantra again? Am I buying it, or renting it?

You're buying. Once unlocked, they stay unlocked.

One thing I don't remember if the game ever tells you is that the various Cell items sell for more on max solar noise, except the Jack Cell which sells for most at min noise. (Also, selling them is the sole purpose of cells.)

Also, you probably know already, but getting a passive elemental resist skill will override weakness to that element. It's probably worth taking everyone down their opposite element path for that.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Speaking of DDS, in the first one, one of the higher-end Mantras is named Wikipedia. Since the Mantra's name in the Japanese version has nothing to do with Wikipedia, maybe it's the translators poking fun at how non-Japanese players have to look up a good portion of the demons to figure out what they are?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Does P3P have a NG+? If so, can you swap protagonists for the second play through?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yes and yes.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

Does P3P have a NG+? If so, can you swap protagonists for the second play through?

Yes and yes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fount of knowledge posted:

This might go without saying, but are you actually playing on "hard"? People don't get worked up to controller-flinging levels of rage off Nocturne's normal mode.

I had a few controller flinging moments on normal during my very 1st run, the game's pretty daunting if you don't learn the weakness system and proper fusion early.

Hard mode isn't even hard in the traditional sense, its your standard, "welp everything can kill you faster, OMG SO HARD".

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just one more question before I go- how do I get more skill slots? Four isn't going to cut it. Also, mantras are bloody expensive. If the didn't want me buying so many, maybe the shouldn't have taught me Devour.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

YggiDee posted:

Just one more question before I go- how do I get more skill slots? Four isn't going to cut it. Also, mantras are bloody expensive. If the didn't want me buying so many, maybe the shouldn't have taught me Devour.

I'm pretty sure that you get more skill slots as you level.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
you get two at level 10 and another two at 20 and also do yourself a favor and get devil feast and either dormina or dream haze. Once you get magic reeds you can raise the encounter rate to ridiculous frequency so you can grind easy money/atma points. i started replaying and got my Serph to 99 magic at around level 35 and he's pretty much nuking everything in his path.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Artix74 posted:

Yes and yes.

Thanks, both of you that posted exactly the same thing at the same time like those creepy twins from The Shining. That tips the scale for me - ridiculous price or not I'm downloading P3P when I get my hands on a Vita.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Okay, one of the newest additions to the fanmade P5 soundtrack is the best possible thing, and it owns. Seriously.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Technique posted:

Okay, one of the newest additions to the fanmade P5 soundtrack is the best possible thing, and it owns. Seriously.

Woah. I would instantly fall in love with any dungeon with a jazzy beat like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Technique posted:

That's pretty boss.

I'm glad I've been ripping as many of those songs as I can.

I really like the Awakening track too, but I'd like it more without all the voices and guns. Just start out with the "Per-so-na!"