Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Crappy Jack posted:

You know what, yeah, I got thrown off because I was thinking of, you know, that boat thing that happens in the first episode.

Now I like the idea that this is all taking place in Michigan or something in the present day and everyone is just insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Has the Labyrinth always been up? Great 80s flick if you haven't seen it. I suppose it's a kids movie but it's pretty dark. And David Bowie's dick and ball silhouette

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Upstairs, Downstairs is also on Instant and it's like an earlier, rougher, and, depending on your taste, better Downton Abbey.

edit: It's like New Dr. Who and old Dr. Who. New Dr. Who is pretty but sometimes kind of dumb and old Dr. Who is ugly but often really innovative.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I cannot believe I'm saying this... but remember Insidious? That movie with all the "The house isn't haunted! IT'S YOUR SON!!!" ads?

Yeah, this awful looking thing.

Give it a chance. It's pretty loving spooky at times. It feels like a drat Poltergeist remake and has a weird final part, but god drat it has some great moments.

I'm as shocked as you are.

Sidmae
Oct 2, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Several good movies: Orson Welles on Netflix

You can't claim there's "no good movies on Netflix" when you have The Trial, The Third Man, and The Stranger. I've heard Catch-22 is a good adaptation but I haven't seen it.

Also, it's odd that The Stranger is part of the Starz package, but they have another, non-Starz version up as well.

And I'd recommend In the Mood For Love before Starz goes away.

Catch-22's adaptation was bad imo. That might just be me being biased against 70's movies that seem to frequently give you extended sequences of little to no sound.

Mother Night, on the other hand was pretty good and true to the book. Currently not streaming :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Zero Karizma posted:

I cannot believe I'm saying this... but remember Insidious? That movie with all the "The house isn't haunted! IT'S YOUR SON!!!" ads?

Yeah, this awful looking thing.

Give it a chance. It's pretty loving spooky at times. It feels like a drat Poltergeist remake and has a weird final part, but god drat it has some great moments.

I'm as shocked as you are.

As a counterpoint, I thought it was pretty bad :\

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

QPZIL posted:

Let's call it a mixed reception, then - I liked it!

For serious though, it's doing some creative things with the genre, and the Poltergeist comparison is really apt. Actually, I guess cribbing from poltergeist makes it anything but original, but think along the lines of what Super 8 did with E.T. and the like. It sort of revisits the concept in a "modern" horror narrative and ends up feeling really fresh for it.
It's a pretty sincere horror movie that doesn't treat its protagonists like gratuitous deaths waiting to happen.

e: vvv And it's a tie! vvv

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

QPZIL posted:

Agreed. Insidious straight up sucked.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
The first two acts of Insidious are extremely solid. The third act kinda falls apart. Insidious is above average and certainly not terrible.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I really enjoyed Insidious which surprised me. It did, however, show to me the weakness of James Wan's writing because it has the exact same pacing and scare beats as his other film "Dead Silence."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Insidious is in my top ten for 2011. There's nothing about it I don't like.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I don't know if it's a great movie, but it did genuinely scare me a few times, which a lot of horror movies don't. So I guess you could say it worked as intended.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

foodfight posted:

The first two acts of Insidious are extremely solid. The third act kinda falls apart. Insidious is above average and certainly not terrible.

I agree with this analysis. VOTE LOCKED IN.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I still remember the great laugh I had in Insidious when Darth Maul was standing behind one of the characters.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

I still remember the great laugh I had in Insidious when Darth Maul was standing behind one of the characters.

This is why I still haven't watched it, though it is in my instant queue. I even knew what your spoiler was going to be before I moused over to make sure.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

foodfight posted:

Bingo. Watched it again the other night and this rings true.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
All I remember from Insidious was that it started out pretty strong and spooky and then fell apart when there was a dream ghost in the attic wearing a leather jacket for literally no reason.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

AgentHaiTo posted:

I watched it at home and all four of us jumped and then immediately rewound it and cracked up.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Insidious did have moments, but most of them were laugh out loud ridiculous ones. I thought it tried way too hard. Plus it has little kids named Foster and Dalton, so it was hard for me to take it seriously.

Even though it's apparently been on there since 2006, I didn't notice Greg The Bunny until last night, which was the first time I'd seen it. I dig it.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 23, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

foodfight posted:

Since we're having Downtonchat, I'll put in my two cents. Its a fun show, but it seems like more of a novelty than anything else. I have a friend on facebook that absolutely HATES the second season (which I haven't seen) and posted a hilarious alternate history of the twentieth century based off of what happens in season 2. I'll try and post the whole rant later as I think it really sums up some of the show's most glaring problems.

Here it is. I'll spoiler the thing that is revealing about the show.

from Facebook posted:

So when was the last time a show crashed and burned as far and fantastically as "Downton Abbey" has? I'd say "Twin Peaks," but there has gotta be others between them that I don't remember/know about...

Three weeks ago, stuff finally happened. Two weeks ago, they're all, "Yeah that stuff happened but whooooooooo knoooooooows, maybe taksies backsies?" This week: "TAKSIES BACKSIES! Everybody gets what they want."

Everybody gets what they want.
In this universe, World War II would never have happened.

Maybe that's where this show is going, actually. A counterfactual universe without World War II, where Europe remains stable after Versailles and the British keep their empire, Japan never gets their Empire but is totally okay with that, blacks become TRULY equal but still separate in the southern U.S., Ireland doesn't need independence because dependence is awesome, and we ALL land on the moon (not just the Americans) in 1939 instead of 1969 because that's how cool peace and contentment really are.

Kinda sounds like an awesome show, actually.

Adolf Hitler has a prodigious artistic career thanks to tasteful Jewish patrons who recognize the inherent beauty of his nationalist realist paintings; Lenin and Trotsky step down in remorse over the death of the Czar, and install up-and-coming teenager Malenkov as party chairman, who makes peace with the Western powers and gradually institutes glasnost and perestroika in 1924; the softening posture of Russia and Japan leads to greater liberalization and eventually full democracy in China, which somehow via Butterfly Effect prevents the passage of Prohibition in the United States (I'll leave this one for the capable writers of Downton Abbey to sort out); scrappy Italian US Senator Al Capone (R-IL), who rose Horatio Alger-style from the streets of Brooklyn and Chicago, becomes president of the United States in 1960. Capone's successful bid for the presidency is due, in part, to his work in the 1950s as member of the United States Senate Select Committee on Improper Activities in Labor and Management, where he brought down the corrupt, Boston-based Kennedy crime syndicate. Ronald Reagan wins an Oscar in 1982 for his breath-taking comeback in "On Golden Pond"; Richard Nixon lives a quiet and happy life as a small-town lawyer in California's central valley; Mao becomes the Herbert Hoover Professor of Political Management at Stanford University, and eventually receives dual-appointment in the Chinese Literature Department. Henry Kissinger just straight-up never does much of anything...

...all thanks to the spunky, lovable inhabitants of a wealthy estate in rural England in the early 20th century, who insured that nothing bad would ever happen to anyone.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you're a fan of musical theater, or more specifically Sondheim, you can see two Sondheim shows on Netflix: Company (the 2006 Broadway revival), and Into the Woods (the original Broadway cast). Also you can see Sondheim: The Birthday Concert on Netflix which has a pretty decent collection of Sondheim's songs sung by a lot of the original performers.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Insidious is in my top ten for 2011. There's nothing about it I don't like.

Same here.

The old woman slowly getting closer and closer in the photographs creeped me out for days.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Someone pointed out that Being Elmo is on Instant now, so I watched that tonight. I really liked it and found parallels to my own passions and my career path. It was heartwarming to see him give a kid a chance just like he got.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Someone pointed out that Being Elmo is on Instant now, so I watched that tonight. I really liked it and found parallels to my own passions and my career path. It was heartwarming to see him give a kid a chance just like he got.

Just watched this tonight too, and I'll agree with the part you mentioned. Mostly because I'm always scared that kids these days don't care about cool stuff like puppetry and the like anymore, so seeing this awesome young girl with a passion and watching her gawk at the Muppet stuff was delightful. Especially the scene where she's naming all the puppeteers.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Wasn't that a boy?

EDIT: Oh and I forgot about the part that bugged me, how it just glossed over his marriage falling apart and his daughter having to email him to ask to see him before she goes to college, and he shows up with sesame street stuff and put elmo on the cake and all that. That part made me feel weird because it felt like they were saying "but its okay! He's Elmo!"

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 24, 2012

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Currently watching repeaters, and the poo poo is badass. Its like groundhog's day only instead of Bill Murray its 3 recovering drug addicts.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

So I tried watching City of Life and Death before the great Starz Purge...and don't get me wrong, it's an excellent movie...but I think it was the first movie I've ever had to just say "enough" and turn off in the middle. I sat through Schindler's List no problem, but once they began tossing kids out of windows and raping women to death I starting wondering whether bombing the poo poo out of Japan, while terrible in and of itself, might not have been ultimately deserved.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Season 2 of Archer has finally arrived on streaming.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

doctor iono posted:

Season 2 of Archer has finally arrived on streaming.

Sweet!

Speaking of spy comedy, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies came back in the last couple days. Want to watch The Artist but hate leaving the house? Pirate itWatch the OSS 117 movies instead!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I've been looking forward to Season 2 of Archer for months now, and marathoned it in one sitting. Totally worth it.

I watched Sonatine on a lark today, and holy poo poo is it bleak. Takeshi "Beat" Kitano was essentially depressed for most of his career, and it shows in this film, one of his early works that established his signature visual style and nihilistic plots.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Netflix's highly-publicized contract with Starz expires on February 29, so if there are any Starz titles you want to watch, do so now. Here's a list of the films that will be unavailable come March. Notable titles include, among others, Disney films (including Tangled and Toy Story 3), Scarface, Big, Patton, Beetlejuice, The English Patient, McLintock!, Vertigo, JFK, Mallrats, and many, many others.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
Can anyone recommend me anything that is in the same vein as In The Loop and Boss in that it involves people in politics yelling at each other and is good entertainment?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

red19fire posted:

I've been looking forward to Season 2 of Archer for months now, and marathoned it in one sitting. Totally worth it.

I watched Sonatine on a lark today, and holy poo poo is it bleak. Takeshi "Beat" Kitano was essentially depressed for most of his career, and it shows in this film, one of his early works that established his signature visual style and nihilistic plots.

I watched the cancer episode yesterday. Really funny.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
I watched Best Worst Movie the other night, and goddamn if all the scenes involving the lady that played the mother in Troll 2 weren't awkward as hell/sad and hard to watch. But on a lighter note, I watched World's Greatest Dad last night due to it being mentioned in here and very much enjoyed it. So thanks to the people who mentioned it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Philo posted:

Can anyone recommend me anything that is in the same vein as In The Loop and Boss in that it involves people in politics yelling at each other and is good entertainment?

Sadly nothing I can think of is on Netflix, but in case anyone didn't know, In the Loop was based on/spun off from a TV show called The Thick of it, which is very excellent. The same people are making the new HBO show Veep, which seems likely to also involve people in politics yelling at each other while being good entertainment.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
There aren't any good documentaries on Ireland are there? Or any not on instant I should be watching out for?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Manky posted:

There aren't any good documentaries on Ireland are there? Or any not on instant I should be watching out for?

The Story of Ireland is great, bbc though so I doubt it's on instant.

This isn't related really but is iplayer coming to the states at all? I would love it if only for the docs. I looked on the bbc page but it doesn't say anything except that its only available in the UK.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
iPlayer going to the states would probably never happen. Too much bullshit involved with license fees and the BBC wouldn't want to shoot BBC America or their DVD sales in the foot.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Manky posted:

I watched one called Historical Pubs of Ireland. Interesting, But I was kind of drunk at the time.

Also, Out of Ireland.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley is a great film based on real events starring Cillian Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kri kri posted:

The Story of Ireland is great, bbc though so I doubt it's on instant.

This isn't related really but is iplayer coming to the states at all? I would love it if only for the docs. I looked on the bbc page but it doesn't say anything except that its only available in the UK.

I haven't tried it on the video player, but the Chrome extension Stealthy works great for listening to the restricted BBC radio content.

• Locked thread