Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I love the way he writes Midnight Crew dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wait... so... what did happen to SBaHJ 39? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Looks like I finally read the update before anyone decided to comment on it.

This is a first.

Also, since Jane is about to enter the Medium here, I don't think she's going to get to sleep soon unless Mindfang fixes that for her.

VVV I read the update while people were derailing about MLP, but I didn't realize that I read it before anyone commented on it until you posted.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 23, 2012

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Lady of the Beech posted:

Looks like I finally read the update before anyone decided to comment on it.

TOAST7312 posted:

Update.

DD interruption at the perfect time. Jane may get to sleep after all and do the reverse lifey thing.
Edit: This doesn't seem like a likely place for Hussie to end it for the next; I suspect more updates to come.

:colbert:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Wait... so... what did happen to SBaHJ 39? I feel like I'm missing something here.

As far as I know, it was never there.

It's either a revelation of earth-shattering proportions that will tear asunder the firmament that we stand upon when it's revealed some time in the future

or a clever commentary on lovely webcomics that can't get their archive system working correctly.

or, somehow, both.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I did this thing a while back

With all the Jane shenanigans it seems an apt time to post it

You'd be surprised how hard it is to create an image so lovely. I am just respecting the Huss more and more.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Fat_Cow posted:

The bronies on tumblr are getting so worked up it is hilarious. "NOOOOO GIVE IT A CHANCE HUSSIE IT'S A SHOW FOR ADULTS"

You have no idea how amazing this makes me feel. Schadenfreude!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Good to know Jack Noir being bad at puns is a universal constant.

Hipster Ron Paul
Feb 3, 2012

snucks posted:

I feel like 15-17 is the big demographic homestuck is hitting, and Hussie recognized that by kicking the kids' ages up 3 notches.

also Hussie has no clue how much he writes. It probably took me 3 months to get through homestuck's archives, and that was with reading only ~50% of the chatlogs.

Really? It took me about 3 days to read from the beginning up to Jade's alchemizing. Granted, it was during the holidays, but I read almost all the pesterlogs, except for a few of the trolls' when they had just arrived in the Veil.

Also, apparently some people think Jack in that last update is sexy. tumblr :doh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Oh, there's a useful WQ.

Jane's going to have an interesting wake-up call, now (sleep-up call...?).

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Oh, there's a useful WQ.

Jane's going to have an interesting wake-up call, now (sleep-up call...?).

She's going to wake up spitting out Jack's teeth, in a callback to Sollux.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Why does she have the sceptre? Doesn't the Queen have the ring and the King the sceptre?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It's interesting that she has the scepter. Wonder what the kings' situation is... we did see the symbolic 3x3 chessboard battlefield earlier, which seemed to suggest they're both down there dueling endlessly or something, but if the black queen's been replaced and the white queen's holding the scepter, it seems like a fair bet there should be something unusual going on with them as well.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I wonder if the Kings have any kind of knowledge about what's going on back on their home planets from their war bases on Skaia.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nilbop posted:

Why does she have the sceptre? Doesn't the Queen have the ring and the King the sceptre?

Maybe the king only gets the sceptre when he stops being a literal giant chess piece? It is probably just some shenanigans though.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
I wonder if both kings have been killed. The reckoning begins when the Black King gets both scepters, right? Well maybe WQ got it first. Do you really think the Condesce would let the Black King stick around, and not take full control of the kingdom? She probably offed the White King too in an attempt to hurry things along. She isn't playing by the rules, after all.

Also, yay, WQ kicks rear end.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Starmaker posted:

I wonder if both kings have been killed. The reckoning begins when the Black King gets both scepters, right? Well maybe WQ got it first. Do you really think the Condesce would let the Black King stick around, and not take full control of the kingdom? She probably offed the White King too in an attempt to hurry things along. She isn't playing by the rules, after all.

Also, yay, WQ kicks rear end.

We've seen both kings in [S] END OF ACT 6 INTERMISSION 1 locked in the eternal stalemate on the unprototyped battlefield.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Just caught up on the last few updates. Jeeze, Jane, why did you CEASE REPRODUCTION lie to Jake?

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

YF-23 posted:

We've seen both kings in [S] END OF ACT 6 INTERMISSION 1 locked in the eternal stalemate on the unprototyped battlefield.

Yeah, but I always thought that was a symbolic representation, not the actual kings. So is the White King literally a chess piece until enough kids enter?

But yeah, whatever he looks like that's pretty good evidence that he's still alive. Still pretty curious how the queen has the sceptor, though. Maybe she was crafty enough to grab it after the Condesce started meddling. Or maybe they just stay on Prospit/Derse till the battlefield is prototyped.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Cryophage posted:

Just caught up on the last few updates. Jeeze, Jane, why did you CEASE REPRODUCTION lie to Jake?

I didn't even think about it like that, kinda makes "GG: I just want to go to sleep and not wake up forever." a little more sinister STAY ASLEEP too.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Fizbin posted:

I didn't even think about it like that, kinda makes "GG: I just want to go to sleep and not wake up forever." a little more sinister STAY ASLEEP too.

I thought Hussie addressed this in his answers post by saying "there was no mind control, she's just a dumb teenager doing dumb things."

I do wonder why WQ has the scepter. Maybe since the prototyping rings seem to be useless?

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
I suspect that one or both kings are dead, due to the foreshadowing on this page http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006375

quote:

But his apprentice was able to beat him in the wizard's duel by first becoming checkmated, and through some unprecedented enchantment, continuing to play beyond the death of the king.

Or maybe it's a reference to the previous session? Could be both.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh, the white queen actually seems like a badass now :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
WQ: Throw archagent into the slammer.

You call it the slammer when you are extra angry at crimes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tollymain posted:

Huh, the white queen actually seems like a badass now :allears:

The White Queen was always pretty capable in her own way, just last session she didn't have many ways to express it except in retreat (knowing the future can suck like that) and then got preempted by the unstoppable murder-machine.

It'll be too bad if the White King is dead, too. I was thinking this'd be the final instance of the Incipisphere, and that it'd be nice if all the sympathetic carapace people had a chance to not die for once.

Then again we've had Alpha and Beta universes, maybe the comic will end with a final release-version Sburb Incipisphere with all the characters living happily ever after?

Let me dream the impossible dream.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Hussie posted:

It’s nicely done, but it’s a drat show for kids. I do some silly poo poo with my spare time but I am not a child.

Well, this actually made me feel a little bad about my tv watching habits.

WHOOOOOOOOOO lives in a pineapple under the sea??

Haha who am I kidding, I love that poo poo.

fake edit: Really interested to see what goes down with the carapace people this time around. I wonder if this universe's WV will be inspired to do any uprising? Maybe not, since Dirk's pretty much got that in the bag. It would be kind of a trip if B1's WV showed up and met himself.

I think if two Jacks met they'd probably just go for a tandem stab attempt, and whichever one had more omnipotent dog powers would win.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
D'awwww. Jack is all GOOD BLANKET, BEST FRIEND now. :3:

Bobulus posted:

I have internet friends who are bronies, and they tell me that the writers are putting in jokes to pander to the bronies, which is probably why people on tumblr think it's a show for adults now, rather than a show for kids with one or two pandering jokes.

They think it's a show for adults because they are insecure and desperate for validation; this bit of insanity was embedded from the start, it didn't appear just because the writers caught on and threw in the occasional wink.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
I like how they're called the carapace people, or sometimes just carapaces.

It's like calling humans "skin people" or "skins".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gabriel Pope posted:

D'awwww. Jack is all GOOD BLANKET, BEST FRIEND now. :3:

They think it's a show for adults because they are insecure and desperate for validation; this bit of insanity was embedded from the start, it didn't appear just because the writers caught on and threw in the occasional wink.

They maintain it's a show for adults because society has, historically, told them that they're bad people for enjoying something that is for kids. Society just loves marginalizing and shaming people who do things outside certain parameters, so they need to try and redefine the parameters. Which is, in all honesty, pretty loving silly on every level-- you're an adult, enjoy whatever the gently caress you want and ignore anyone who decides they need to act an rear end in a top hat about it.

Just, you know, maybe do it away from me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lady of the Beech posted:

I like how they're called the carapace people, or sometimes just carapaces.

It's like calling humans "skin people" or "skins".

I'll have you know that's a long standing scifi tradition, meat bag. :colbert:

fakeedit/ I have got to stop walking into these kinds of posts, people are going to start thinking this is a gimmick account or something. :(

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Hussie posted:

Impatience among some generates toxicity over time, like they’re gradually, unwittingly developing a grudge against the story because of the pace they’re forced to read at. This then warps everything they see. As if a tainted a witness. If they crave swift advancement, then pages that do not accomplish this adequately like gags or character developing interactions become like personal affronts to them. Good material is like a slap in the face. And the irony is, the more they like the story, the more toxic the attitude can get, because they badly want to see it get somewhere fast, and they can feel let down or like the work is in decline because they’re forced to sit through its responsible, judicious development in realtime. But this is an almost nonexistent phenomenon with archival reading, which lends itself to a little more detachment and reservation as one cruises through the material at the speed of reading. Judgments are formed less at the atomic level of the story’s building blocks, a bit more holistically, and individual developments are never agonized over. They may ultimately not love the story, but at least the resentment complex that can fester in the space of the serial drip never had a chance to skew the result.

I know he's said this before, but I really wish more people got it. I cannot tell you how many 'fans' I've run into who say they pretty much hate the story and the author now but continue to read anyway, and this would be why. The only reason he keeps having to reinstate this like a broken record is because they're all still reading and they are all still totally self-righteous about it; like they're doing the world a service or something when nobody honestly cares but them. I mean there's a difference between 'I keep watching this even though it's terrible because I want to see how it ends' and 'I keep watching this because I feel an unnecessary obligation to do so and will continue to complain about it every step of the way'. These types of people fall into the latter category.

Not to mention the gap between plot developments inspires so much fic and fanart that it's entirely possible for some of them to actually care more about the fan-content or their own headcanon, which they in turn end up mistaking for the story in the interim and subsequently get pissed off by when everything doesn't line up. Or as also demonstrated, sometimes when the story does match up with what they want, they feel like they're being mocked or something, as in the Dirk and Jake case. Like everything up until (x) moment in the story was specifically orchestrated by Hussie to be everything but a story they're capable of enjoying. In the end it's all just an idea they don't really care for unless it's specifically crafted both a) to their interests and b) by their own design. In other words, whatever it is they do like, it sure isn't Homestuck.

tl;dr: Entitled people suck, entitled fans of popular media even moreso.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

My god. Jane's head is as big as Jack's entire torso. :pwn:

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
Welp, I was totally and completely wrong. But that's ok, because this is a good turn of events; I wasn't expecting a badass white queen. I'm also noticing she has BOTH the scepter and the ring, not just one or the other. I feel bad for WK, like HB, who seem to get chumped most of the time in Homestuck :(

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ Also, WQ is RIDICULOUSLY TALL...

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

TOAST7312 posted:

Welp, I was totally and completely wrong. But that's ok, because this is a good turn of events; I wasn't expecting a badass white queen. I'm also noticing she has BOTH the scepter and the ring, not just one or the other. I feel bad for WK, like HB, who seem to get chumped most of the time in Homestuck :(

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ Also, WQ is RIDICULOUSLY TALL...

She is the almighty tallest.

Actually, it would make sense for the king to get chumped since the whole chess theme and the king is supposed to be the weakest (and yet most important) piece on the board.

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
When she hit him with the scepter, it really really needed a *donk* or some other sound effect.

It would've been perfect!

:confuoot:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

But where did Jack's blade go?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Level Slide posted:

It went flying into the air so it's on the floor somewhere.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Level Slide posted:

Probably went through another Tinkerbull offscreen.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Act 5 was "Jack Kills Everyone," whereas Act 6 is "Everyone kills Tinkerbulls".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Leading up to the climatic chapter 7, "Jack Kills Every Tinkerbull."