Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spoiler Thread posted:

Jesus Christ. I just read the part of ASOS where Robb and Catelyn are killed; the hound rides Arya down and now I'm just like holy poo poo. Holy. poo poo. I just needed to vent about that because I'm still blown away. Everything makes sense now too, why Grey Wind was angry, why Walder Frey wanted to make sure Robb came down to the Twins away from Riverrun, why Walder Frey gave Brandyn his only pretty grandaughter...etc. Really well done, George.

It seems like it was so long ago :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Woken the dragoon.

I always figured that guy was black for some reason. But then I have horrendous reading comprehension. Like when Arya runs after the cat in the Red Keep and overhears Varys and another dude talking - Who the gently caress's the other dude? Never figured that out.

The other dude's Illyrio. I wouldn't know this if not for the show.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I really hope a bunch of the TVIV goons didn't read the books.

The no-spoiler thread was the best reading material ever.

"No way, human being. Arya is totally gonna kill Joffrey or I'll never watch this show again!"

Wait until they find out not only that Littlefinger had absolutely nothing to do with Bran's attempted assassination, but that Cersei had absolutely nothing to do with Jon Arryn's death :allears:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

I don't think it has to do with anything about race, we just all thought it would be some guy with pale white skin.

It's like if goons found out that the actress that plays Dany doesn't really have platinum/silver hair. That would be a horrible spergfest.

EDIT: Oh gently caress what have I done?

It would be like them finding out Felicia Day and Christina Hendricks weren't really redheads and only play them on TV.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait until they find out not only that Littlefinger had absolutely nothing to do with Bran's attempted assassination, but that Cersei had absolutely nothing to do with Jon Arryn's death :allears:

The bitter tears when Joffrey is alive and well in the season 2 finale will be a fine lube for their crysturbation.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The bitter tears when Joffrey is alive and well in the season 2 finale will be a fine lube for their crysturbation.
Wait till they use the Red wedding as the S3 finally and he is still there for season 4.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Since they don't care about matching race, why couldn't they have picked Robert Chew (Prop Joe from The Wire) for Illyrio, that would have been the most glorious thing :negative:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh man, the Tyrell worship when they finally off Joffrey is going to be insane. You'll probably see a whole new campaign for gang tags around that time, coupled with that minority goon contingent going BUT MY TYRION :qqsay:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Queen of Thorns gang tag would loving own bones.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wanna rep Ramsay's Girls.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

I don't want to give up the Wild Cards though :(

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Out of curiosity, has anyone read any of GRRM's other books? While I imagine the Wild Cards label is facetious, every time I see it I remember he does write more than ASoIaF.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone read any of GRRM's other books? While I imagine the Wild Cards label is facetious, every time I see it I remember he does write more than ASoIaF.

Tuf Voyaging is a really solid series of short stories with a common theme being that human greed is insatiably hosed up. I also liked Fevre Dream, it was probably the most interesting vampire novel I've read since the original Dracula.

Sandkings, though, is just brilliant. Easily the best thing he's written.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Aurubin posted:

I read Fevre Dream, it was actually pretty good.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
TVIV forecast: At least two more years of :qq:

Edit: I am dumb.

Mediant fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 23, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Da fuq u talkin' bout, Willis?

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Mediant posted:

:hist101: At comiccon Benioff said that they'd split CoK into seasons two and three. He hinted the season two finale would be the Red Wedding and the finale for three is set to be the bridge of ships and battle for King's Landing.

So yeah... Joffrey is going to be around till at least season four maybe even more if they continue to split the books. TVIV forecast: At least three years of :qq:

No they didn't, you've confused ACOK with ASOS, season 2 is the entirety of ACOK, and season 3 will end with the red wedding.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Mr Crustacean posted:

No they didn't, you've confused ACOK with ASOS, season 2 is the entirety of ACOK, and season 3 will end with the red wedding.

Oops. You're right. My mistake. :(

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Mediant posted:

Oops. You're right. My mistake. :(

You're still wrong -- bridge of ships was CoK (and is confirmed for episode 9 of season 2).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mediant posted:

TVIV forecast: At least two more years of :qq:

The tears of the TVIV thread will not slake our unquenchable thirst for hatred and misery.

The Red Wedding sure will help though. Oh I can taste the salty ocean of tears they will send forth, like Dany's poo poo geyser of water and blood.

And even then, 5 years from now, there still won't be another book.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Maybe they'll get David Simon to write season 7 so we'll at least get closure out of the tv show.

Also, Omar better play the braavosi banker.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

IRQ posted:

The tears of the TVIV thread will not slake our unquenchable thirst for hatred and misery.

The Red Wedding sure will help though. Oh I can taste the salty ocean of tears they will send forth, like Dany's poo poo geyser of water and blood.

And even then, 5 years from now, there still won't be another book.

The red wedding will be the most glorious thing ever broadcasted on television.
I can't wait for season 3 to be confirmed, just so I know it will happen.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Not to keep beating off a dead horse but its been known that Xaro was cast by a black buy for like 6 months, thats why im surprised at the reaction.

Also they changed Asha's name, which is so much worse. Especially since it's now Yara.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bigmcgaffney posted:

Not to keep beating off a dead horse but its been known that Xaro was cast by a black buy for like 6 months, thats why im surprised at the reaction.

Also they changed Asha's name, which is so much worse. Especially since it's now Yara.

The Greyjoys are pirates. You gotta say her name with a pirate accent:

Yara Greyjoy.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

I wanna rep Ramsay's Girls.

Old Nan Fo' life! bitch lives forever so it's true

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The Greyjoys are pirates. You gotta say her name with a pirate accent:

Yara Greyjoy.

I fear change, especially regarding boring viking pirates.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Speaking of which, when the time comes HBO should transplant Joe Manganiello from their other show that shall not be named to Game of Thrones so he can play Euron.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

boring viking pirates

Get out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like when Yara Asha thought that making a political statement amongst Vikings that drown people as a rite of passage would impress them enough to let her lead them. It was the perfect illustration of why idealistic young people are always doomed to fail, even when they're right.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

mind the walrus posted:

I like when Yara Asha thought that making a political statement amongst Vikings that drown people as a rite of passage would impress them enough to let her lead them. It was the perfect illustration of why idealistic young people are always doomed to fail, even when they're right.
ASOIAF taught me that young people who wish to get elected and implement reforms should go and get a magic blowing horn beforehand.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

ASOIAF taught me that young people who wish to get elected and implement reforms should go and get a magic blowing horn beforehand.

Or else their heads will be sewn onto their pets and/or they'll be killed at their weddings.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Get out.

They are boring though? Theon's arc got pretty interesting but the viking pirate society as a whole is boring as hell and is also just a rehash of the power struggle going on surrounding the Iron Throne. Asha is Cersei, the woman who uses sex as a tool and thinks she should be able to rule based on ability but is actually not that good of a leader and ultimately still controlled by males. Theon is Ned, the guy looking to follow actual rules of succession and being utterly powerless to make this happen in any way and suffers horribly because of his lack of political savvy. Euron is Tywin, the guy who actually ends up running the show because he is charismatic and powerful and enough of a dick to do what needs to be done.

GRRM is not very good at disguising his recycled ideas.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Get out.

No they're loving boring. That's how much Gurm sucks. He made VIKINGS boring.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sophia posted:

They are boring though? Theon's arc got pretty interesting but the viking pirate society as a whole is boring as hell and is also just a rehash of the power struggle going on surrounding the Iron Throne. Asha is Cersei, the woman who uses sex as a tool and thinks she should be able to rule based on ability but is actually not that good of a leader and ultimately still controlled by males. Theon is Ned, the guy looking to follow actual rules of succession and being utterly powerless to make this happen in any way and suffers horribly because of his lack of political savvy. Euron is Tywin, the guy who actually ends up running the show because he is charismatic and powerful and enough of a dick to do what needs to be done.

GRRM is not very good at disguising his recycled ideas.

And Vicatrion is a hybrid of Jaime/Tyrion with his persecution complex, badass fighting skills, and disposition to loving women/loving people over.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

And Vicatrion is a hybrid of Jaime/Tyrion with his persecution complex, badass fighting skills, and disposition to loving women/loving people over.

Yeah, Victarion's probably the only one I find interesting, too be honest. His chapters were actually fun to read, which placed it above most of ADWD.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

mind the walrus posted:

Oh good call, I forgot about him. Actually I'd say he's more like Stannis, because Stannis would be the exact same if he didn't actually think he had the legal claim. No one likes him even though he's good at his job and he hates his younger brother!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So Jamie's prowess, Tyrion's "goons love me and I love whores" quality, and Stannis' position.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Factor_VIII posted:

Not just anybody can blow my horn. It takes special skill and talent.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Anyone who blows your horn will die, the runes ingraved in the small of your back say...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

zocio posted:

Anyone who blows your horn will die, the runes ingraved in the small of your back say...

A prophetic tramp stamp.