Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

RazorBunny posted:

Grind it up and make burgers, with lots of garlic and herbs mixed in?

This sounds fantastic, and pretty easy. I have a food processor, so I can grind it in small batches, I think.

TerryLennox, that does look awesome. I'm getting the idea that rosemary is the herb to use with venison.

I'm not sure how old the deer was, or that it was really properly field-dressed (when I got it, it still had little hairs all over it, I'm not sure if this is common), so I'm hesitant about trying that recipe. But yum, juniper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Nibble posted:

I'm planning to make a cheddar ale soup for a potluck. I'm thinking I'll follow this basic recipe with a few modifications: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Beer_Cheese_Soup
Main things I need to change are removing the meat, and cooking it in a crock pot.

I think it should be fairly easy to adjust for a crock pot, just haven't decided if I want to do it as directed and then finish it in the crock, or go straight from cooking the veggies to dumping it all in and letting it go on low for ~8 hours. I figure I might need to wait until the end to add the cheese in this case though. I'm also probably going to blend at the end because I have an immersion blender. Another thing I'm considering is adding a head of roasted garlic for more flavor, as long as it won't overpower everything else.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with crock pot soups than I?

You need to remove all the meat, including the chicken stock? That is depressing. Do you have to use a crockpot? In theory you could make it over two days, though admittedly theres more chance for temperature danger zone stuff. Not like it wont work, but...

If you were going to use the crock pot I would leave out the beer and cheese and roux (flour butter) until you could get to it. Garnish with pretzels/popcorn.

Tazolol
Jan 15, 2010
Do any of you guys have a good baba ganoush recipe?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Turkeybone posted:

You need to remove all the meat, including the chicken stock? That is depressing. Do you have to use a crockpot? In theory you could make it over two days, though admittedly theres more chance for temperature danger zone stuff. Not like it wont work, but...

If you were going to use the crock pot I would leave out the beer and cheese and roux (flour butter) until you could get to it. Garnish with pretzels/popcorn.

There will be a few vegetarians there, so yeah I don't mind adjusting it for them, as much as I'd like to make it with the meat sometime too. I don't have to use the crock pot, I suppose, but a) I have a good one and like using it, b) it lets me set it up during the day and have it ready right after work (I'd have to cook it ahead of time otherwise), and c) it's nice and portable.

On the other hand, there's always Plan B, which is make a different soup for now and do the cheddar ale one another time. Potato leek is a good one I haven't made yet.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Can someone give me a good rice and beans recipe? Preferably brown rice and black beans, something spicy with a lot of taste? I'm thinking about getting a batch together and throwing it in a tortilla with some eggs and sausage for a breakfast burrito kind of thing. I have stovetop pans and all that, but no slow cooker or anything.

Edit: this is also a request on how to cook rice and beans on a stovetop

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 22, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Econosaurus posted:

Can someone give me a good rice and beans recipe? Preferably brown rice and black beans, something spicy with a lot of taste? I'm thinking about getting a batch together and throwing it in a tortilla with some eggs and sausage for a breakfast burrito kind of thing. I have stovetop pans and all that, but no slow cooker or anything.

Edit: this is also a request on how to cook rice and beans on a stovetop

Brown Rice & Beans

1 cup beans (black beans, kidney beans, white beans, whatever you have), soaked overnight, and drained
3 cups brown rice, soaked overnight, and drained
9 cups water
1 TB oil (canola, peanut)
2 tsp cumin seed
3 green Thai Bird chiles, chopped finely
1 large Spanish or Red onion, diced
1/2 tsp thyme, dried
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 inches ginger, grated
Salt, to taste

In a large stock pot, boil the 9 cups of water. In a separate stock pot, add the oil, and allow it to heat over high heat. Add the cumin seed, and allow it to crack and pop. Add the Thai Bird chiles, and then IMMEDIATELY add the onions. If you're not quick enough to add the onions, your lungs will fill with fiery hot chile oil. You want the chiles into the fat first, so that they flavour the fat immediately. Add the dried thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook with the onion over medium heat, until the onions are softened. Add the rice and beans, and the boiling water from your other pot. Let the whole thing come to a rapid boil. Maintain that boil for 10 minutes. Set 9 cups more water in the first pot to boil, in case you need to add water later.

Drop down the heat to a bare simmer, and cover the lid. Let it simmer away cheerfully for about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot, and check it every 10 minutes or so, to ensure that you've got enough water in there. If you need more water, use only the boiling water from the first pot. If you use cold water, you're going to reset the whole mess, and it's going to take forever to cook. If it's not cooked through in 30 minutes, let it cook longer. If there's too much liquid, open the lid, and let the water evaporate away as it simmers.

You're going to have a bunch of factors affect how much water you'll need, up to and including the age of the rice, the age of the beans, and the type of beans you have. Just keep checking it periodically, and adjusting up or down as needed.

When the rice and beans are cooked about 90% of the way through, stir through the garlic and ginger. This will ensure that your ginger and garlic have a strong, bold taste. If you're not a fan of ginger or garlic to where you want to taste it almost raw, feel free to add it in with the onions. I personally like a strong, punchy taste. Add salt to taste, and adjust heat with black pepper as needed.

Variations: Stir in about 2 cups of coconut milk at the end.
Add lots of fresh chopped coriander.
Add lots of fresh chopped parsley.
Omit the chilies, and use a bit of cayenne pepper instead.
For less hot spicy, omit the red pepper flakes.
Add about 1 tsp of garam masala at the end, and stir through along with the salt.
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric with the onions. It'll give a wonderful smell.
Add 1 tsp crushed coriander seed along with the cumin seed.
Add 1 TB Berbere along with the onions for a most lovely smell.

dino. fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 22, 2012

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Since I live in an incredibly rural area, I hate to admit that I haven't managed to eat at a Japanese place in probably 6 or 7 years. I've had a lifelong hardon for Udon soup, though.

So, in my rural hillbilly ways, I've become addicted to instant Udon, Annie Chungs, I think. It's a little bland, but if you add a dollop of soy sauce and stir in a little fish sauce, it's pretty good.

This weekend I'm going to be about 40 minute away, in a part of the closest town that supposedly has a pretty nice Japanese grocery, at least according to google reviews. http://tensukemarket.com/ if anyone has heard of it.

Anyway, I wanted to learn how to make a nice Udon. Has anyone had any luck with a specific recipe? Any other advice? I was thinking of adding something to it, to make it a bit more meaty, like maybe shrimp? I'd love suggestions, because I don't know much about Japanese cuisine. If I did add shrimp, what would be the best way to prepare them?

Also, any suggestion as to something on the side to make it a complete meal? I'm not a huge fish guy so I'd like something a bit different.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nibble posted:

There will be a few vegetarians there, so yeah I don't mind adjusting it for them, as much as I'd like to make it with the meat sometime too. I don't have to use the crock pot, I suppose, but a) I have a good one and like using it, b) it lets me set it up during the day and have it ready right after work (I'd have to cook it ahead of time otherwise), and c) it's nice and portable.

On the other hand, there's always Plan B, which is make a different soup for now and do the cheddar ale one another time. Potato leek is a good one I haven't made yet.

Potato leek soup is ridiculously delicious, so that might be a good plan if you want.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

criscodisco posted:

Anyway, I wanted to learn how to make a nice Udon. Has anyone had any luck with a specific recipe? Any other advice? I was thinking of adding something to it, to make it a bit more meaty, like maybe shrimp? I'd love suggestions, because I don't know much about Japanese cuisine. If I did add shrimp, what would be the best way to prepare them?

I too adore udon. You can buy packages of the dried noodles just like Italian pasta so stock up. I'm not authentic in the least but the last thing I did with udon was make a sweet sauce with soy sauce, garlic, honey, ginger, sesame seeds, then used this to brush some shrimp I broiled. Then I used the extra sauce to dip my noodles into. Simple, yummy, my only regret is I should have used sriracha or chili flakes or something.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I'm going to a pretty big beer thing up in Michigan this weekend with a bunch of friends. After previous years, we have learned that there is about a 3,000% probability of all of us being significantly shitfaced when we get back to the hotel room, so maybe this time it might be a good idea to have something easy to eat already made, because sobering up and venturing out is a huge pain in the rear end. So, I think I'm going to try to do a beef stew in a crock pot. The problem is, never having tried this sort of hotel-room cooking, I want to make sure I've got the logistics right.

I'm figuring I could probably made MOST of it here at home tomorrow (the beef, seasoning, and liquid parts), freeze it before the trip on Saturday, drop it in the crock before we go to the beer fest with some carrots, peas, and potatoes, and crock for the 5-6 hours until we get back. I'm figuring the veggies will basically end up being mush if I make the entire stew at home, freeze it, then cook it again all day. Does this sound like a decent plan? I feel like I am forgetting some really important step but I cannot imagine what it is.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

nominal posted:

I'm going to a pretty big beer thing up in Michigan this weekend with a bunch of friends. After previous years, we have learned that there is about a 3,000% probability of all of us being significantly shitfaced when we get back to the hotel room, so maybe this time it might be a good idea to have something easy to eat already made, because sobering up and venturing out is a huge pain in the rear end. So, I think I'm going to try to do a beef stew in a crock pot. The problem is, never having tried this sort of hotel-room cooking, I want to make sure I've got the logistics right.

I'm figuring I could probably made MOST of it here at home tomorrow (the beef, seasoning, and liquid parts), freeze it before the trip on Saturday, drop it in the crock before we go to the beer fest with some carrots, peas, and potatoes, and crock for the 5-6 hours until we get back. I'm figuring the veggies will basically end up being mush if I make the entire stew at home, freeze it, then cook it again all day. Does this sound like a decent plan? I feel like I am forgetting some really important step but I cannot imagine what it is.

The hotel where I used to work would kick people out for using crock pots in the room so you might want to check with them before doing this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Grand Fromage posted:

Also if you're cooking Roman food, beware that Romans loving LOVED salt and a lot of the recipes come out very very salty. Whenever I do a Roman recipe I immediately knock out half the salt at least. Unless you're a fan of tons of salt I would recommend that.

For what it's worth, their salt was much less refined/pure and less strong than ours. I imagine it'd be fun to play with Roman recipes and the traditional regional salts together.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

nominal posted:

2nd-ing Randomity's note about crock pots in the hotel. I'd kick you out just due to the potential fire risk.

That being said, you could cook the stew a day or two before, pour into gladware containers, Freeze individual portions, store those in the fridge in the room, & use the microwave to reheat them. Personally I'd rather deal with a handful of disposable containers rather than lugging around a 7 pound crock pot + ingredients. I'm assuming your driving. If you're flying, don't even bother with a crock pot.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
What's everyone's favourite chili verde recipe? Does it typically contain tomatillos? Some recipes have them while others don't.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I always use tomatillos. But I don't really use a recipe. Just roast some onions/tomatillos/chiles/etc until nice and roasty, then puree with garlic and cilantro and some spices like cumin and coriander and oregano, and then cook pork in it for hours.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

CzarChasm and Randomity posted:

potential crock pot risk
Hrm, I hadn't considered that at all. Being thrown out of a hotel whilst shitfaced would be... somewhat disruptive. I'll call and verify that they have a microwave. That'd probably work pretty well, and will not be too difficult to manage when I am inevitably down to about nineteen functioning braincells

Incidentally, I'm assuming the crockpot would be noticeable due to the smell of stuff cookin' for six hours?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Splizwarf posted:

For what it's worth, their salt was much less refined/pure and less strong than ours. I imagine it'd be fun to play with Roman recipes and the traditional regional salts together.

Yeah, that would be fun. Personally I find the garum is usually enough salt for the dish, but I'm not a huge salt fan.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
1.) How awesome is https://www.cookmarked.com anyway?

2.) Some external enamel paint on my cast-iron dutch oven flaked/chipped off. What should I repair this with? "Nothing" is an option I suppose.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scuz posted:

2.) Some external enamel paint on my cast-iron dutch oven flaked/chipped off. What should I repair this with? "Nothing" is an option I suppose.

Yeah if it's on the outside I wouldn't worry about, just oil that area up before you use it next time so that it gets seasoned and doesn't rust on you.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

scuz posted:

It wasn't by chance that god-awful Paula Deen poo poo, is it?

I was at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, and couldn't believe how cheap it was for enameled cast iron, so I grabbed a stockpot. I have a nice reliable all-clad setup at home, but it was only like 25 bucks so I couldn't resist. Just sliding around in the cart, enamel started to chip off, so I returned it to the shelf before I made it to the checkout.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

criscodisco posted:

Also, any suggestion as to something on the side to make it a complete meal? I'm not a huge fish guy so I'd like something a bit different.

I would love this as well.

I have no idea if it is regional or what, but around here, it's served in a very light broth or oil? I don't know. Some of the pictures I googled online didn't have this.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The instant crap I've been downing is in a light broth, with more noodles than broth. Then tiny chunks of freeze dried tofu, mushroom and I think scallions. And the occasional spicy bit, but I don't know what that is.

Several of the recipes that I looked up strongly suggested that you never use dried noodles, as Hawkgirl recommended. The instant stuff I buy has a sealed packet of "fresh" noodles.

Anyone have experience with either? I really love the noodles, big and thick and gummy. I'd be disappointed if I bought dried and they didn't have the same texture.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because shipping to the UK is expensive, Plastic Jesus is going to be sending Amazon vouchers for my copy of Larousse Gastronomique. Which is the best edition to get?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

criscodisco posted:

I usually just eyeball it. Hondashi, soy sauce, and mirin in some water. You can fortify with some chicken or beef stock and with some thinly sliced chicken or beef. My favorite udon is Nabeyaki udon and has shrimp tempura on it. You can also poach an egg in the broth. Top the whole shpeal with fish cake slices, scallion slivers, and a light drizzle of toasted sesame oil.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually just eyeball it. Hondashi, soy sauce, and mirin in some water. You can fortify with some chicken or beef stock and with some thinly sliced chicken or beef. My favorite udon is Nabeyaki udon and has shrimp tempura on it. You can also poach an egg in the broth. Top the whole shpeal with fish cake slices, scallion slivers, and a light drizzle of toasted sesame oil.

Your avatar is loving amazing Ive been staring for weeks.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

GrAviTy84 posted:

When I told my partner about making udon this weekend, and wanting to put something on top to make it meatier, he suggested my shrimp tempura, but I figured that it would get all soggy sitting atop damp, steaming noodles.

Are you saying it doesn't? I've only made shrimp tempura a few times, but he's in love with it (he had never had tempura).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

criscodisco posted:

When I told my partner about making udon this weekend, and wanting to put something on top to make it meatier, he suggested my shrimp tempura, but I figured that it would get all soggy sitting atop damp, steaming noodles.

Are you saying it doesn't? I've only made shrimp tempura a few times, but he's in love with it (he had never had tempura).

it's kinda like cereal. Depends on how fast you eat it, it progressively gets soggier over time. Not that broth soaked tempura batter is bad...

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

nominal posted:

Hrm, I hadn't considered that at all. Being thrown out of a hotel whilst shitfaced would be... somewhat disruptive. I'll call and verify that they have a microwave. That'd probably work pretty well, and will not be too difficult to manage when I am inevitably down to about nineteen functioning braincells

Incidentally, I'm assuming the crockpot would be noticeable due to the smell of stuff cookin' for six hours?

Yep, that's how we always found them. I was very laid back and as long as you weren't flaunting it I'd play dumb but if the manager came to check on things and smelled food, he'd be up and down the halls sniffing to find out the source. They weren't allowed due to the fire risk and also because the food smell was all but impossible to get rid of. Unlike your kitchen, hotel rooms are full of soft surfaces that grab onto smells and don't let go. The last time we kicked some folks out because of a crock pot, we weren't able to rent that room out for about a week because of the lingering smell. Now if your hotel room has a kitchenette, that's different.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This is not on my list of things I thought you could be thrown out of a hotel for. :psyduck:

On the one hand, yeah, the fire risk, okay; on the other hand, if everything in the hotel room grabs onto smells and doesn't let go, how do you get the smell of sex out? Or post-bender shits? Or obese unwashed people? These are all smells I really wanted to get out of my living room at various points in my life.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Splizwarf posted:

This is not on my list of things I thought you could be thrown out of a hotel for. :psyduck:

On the one hand, yeah, the fire risk, okay; on the other hand, if everything in the hotel room grabs onto smells and doesn't let go, how do you get the smell of sex out? Or post-bender shits? Or obese unwashed people? These are all smells I really wanted to get out of my living room at various points in my life.

Cooking food in a room for 8 hours gives off a much more noticeable smell than all of those things for a much longer time. You can have sex in your room or be gross and unwashed or take a poo poo and I'm not going to smell it in the hall. Cooking food is a much more invasive smell. We were a relatively small hotel (50 rooms) and when people cooked food in their rooms you could always smell it throughout the halls and even in the lobby. The only time I smelled someone's nasty poo poo in the lobby was when they took a disgusting dump in the public restroom right outside the lobby then left the restroom door wide open without leaving the bathroom fan on. Ugh.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

how do you get the smell of sex out? Or post-bender shits? Or obese unwashed people? These are all smells I really wanted to get out of my living room at various points in my life.

Admit it, those are all smells you had in your living room at the same time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:smithicide:

Someone slept on my couch once who was the definition of human failure, so unfortunately... yes.

Thank god the sex smell had absolutely nothing to do with me or I would have killed myself immediately. The spine of my couch was shattered by "circumstances".

I honestly posted that question half-joking and half looking for cleaning advice in case something like that ever happens again.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 23, 2012

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Hah, we used vacuumable baking soda deodorizer on the carpets, ran all the bedspreads and such through the wash, and febreezed the poo poo out of everything else. Also left the room doors and windows open on decent days. Sometimes (like in the case of the crockpot guys) it just took time. I'd say the baking soda stuff made the most noticeable difference.

Oh hey look this is a cooking thread sorry for the derail~

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always use tomatillos. But I don't really use a recipe. Just roast some onions/tomatillos/chiles/etc until nice and roasty, then puree with garlic and cilantro and some spices like cumin and coriander and oregano, and then cook pork in it for hours.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear, I love tomatillos but you can't really get them in the UK - I'm in LA at the moment though, so it's time to make the most of them.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
On which page was that amazing pie-with-berry-filling post?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone got a good basic gumbo recipe? Just the base is all I need, I'm throwing in whatever seafood I can get my hands on.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I went to a restaurant and they had a '6 ounce filet' as part of a prix fixe. I was miffed when they gave me a piece of sirloin, thinking that 'filet' with no qualifiers meant tenderloin and that sirloin filets are generally labeled as 'sirloin filet' or 'fillet of sirloin' or something. Am I incorrect or do I need to ask what cut a 'filet' is before I order?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

esquilax posted:

I went to a restaurant and they had a '6 ounce filet' as part of a prix fixe. I was miffed when they gave me a piece of sirloin, thinking that 'filet' with no qualifiers meant tenderloin and that sirloin filets are generally labeled as 'sirloin filet' or 'fillet of sirloin' or something. Am I incorrect or do I need to ask what cut a 'filet' is before I order?

In a good restaurant I would assume 'fillet' is referring to a tenderloin steak. But, since there are also fillets of chicken and "o' fish", the restaurant is essentially using the term as marketing. Disagreeable, yes, but not much you can do except not eat there. So in a good place, you shouldn't have to ask, but unless it says "fillet mignion(sp?)" they could toss a strip steak your way.

I will add that the one place I get steak from actually has their cuts of meat on display, or will bring you a plate of steaks so you can see what the cuts look like before you order.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 24, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I think it's a US thing, quite frankly. For some reason the majority of Americans think filet mignon = tenderloin, even though it's supposed to be just a smaller bit of tenderloin. Whereas it seems the rest of the English speaking world understands filet (of beef) to mean tenderloin.

So in the US, I would always be suspicious of anything labeled just 'filet', whereas in the rest of the world, I can be fair certain that filet = tenderloin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I deep fried some stuff for dinner last night but i got lazy and didn't strain/refrigerate the oil. Do I have to toss it now, or can I reuse it for lunch? It seems like heating it to 375 degrees would kill whatever bad stuff is there, but I guess I don't really know that much about oil.