Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, no idea what that was all about! Never had any issues with the camera or controls though, it's pretty standard MMO-style gameplay that works as well as any other? With a lot of other options atop it for more active gameplay too, so probably better than most. But that's the advantage to a F2P game I guess, there's no real cost in trying or ignoring the game.

And yes the voice acting is hilariously horrible. Emphasis on "hilariously".

In other news, it looks like the next premium travel power will be... uh, "distortion acrobatics!" :geno: Some super speed space warpingish looking thing, with rippling and speed line-esque animations. It doesn't look too horrible anyway. Biggest thing though: apparently they finally finished that new run animation they've been talking about, which completely lacks that dumbass Naruto bullshit pose.

Also! The calendar for February:

8th - 10th 90's Costume Set (C-Store)
10th - 13th Bloodmoon (Event)
22nd - 24th Community Chosen Travel Power (C-Store)

Like before, I expect there'll be some other UI/world map/mission changes thrown in that aren't shown up here.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He couldn't beat Black Talon.

He was trying to dodge his attacks by running. Except he was running into the Destroids in the room.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I just remembered I had a lifetime membership to this game and logged into it the other day. I should log on more and join the goon chat. I've forgotten how silly it is to run around with almost exclusively pet powers and a ridiculously high intelligence/presence.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

I just remembered I had a lifetime membership to this game and logged into it the other day. I should log on more and join the goon chat. I've forgotten how silly it is to run around with almost exclusively pet powers and a ridiculously high intelligence/presence.

It's even crazier now, mecha nixon runs a pet/tank build that's unstoppable.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

ColHannibal posted:

It's even crazier now, mecha nixon runs a pet/tank build that's unstoppable.

That sounds....awesome. I'd love to see that.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My alt Brainiape's basically an Int/Pre pet build and is basically unkillable. Nothing even all that smart or fancy about it, just all the gadgeteering robots and that arcane golem summon thing I forget the name of, since it looks vaguely robotic, all at max rank. The damage is surprisingly high, and they can generally keep and hold aggro well. With Aura of Radiant Protection and Inertial Dampening Field, both him and the pets are pretty loving tough as well, and the support drones are easily capable of keeping up with healing everything on anything short of a Cosmic. He doesn't have enough energy to really do much else besides autoattack and let the pets explode things, but he doesn't really need to either. It's pretty crazy.

Granted, part of this is the gadgeteering pets are in general way, way superior to most of the others available, but an arcane pet build's still pretty workable, especially if you're willing to grab a few from other sets.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Asimo posted:

The damage is surprisingly high, and they can generally keep and hold aggro well. With Aura of Radiant Protection and Inertial Dampening Field, both him and the pets are pretty loving tough as well, and the support drones are easily capable of keeping up with healing everything on anything short of a Cosmic. He doesn't have enough energy to really do much else besides autoattack and let the pets explode things, but he doesn't really need to either. It's pretty crazy.

Pretty much this. Some friends and I run around as a team w/ a pet build and the stacked IDF is really crazy. Attacking things is a 3 step process:

1) Orbital Cannon something.
2) Let the pets go crazy.
3) (Optional) Orbital Cannon again if the target is not dead after cooldown.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

And if all that isn't enough, you can throw out a few of those "summon ally" items too and completely spam everything around you. And toss an Implosion Engine into the center of it all for fun. :razz: If I ever respec him I'll probably need to grab a few of those non-controllable "summon" type damage spells, like Ball Lightning or March of the Dead.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
http://www.champions-online.com/character_profiles/3192/view

I can have out at once, three raptors (or bears or wolves or whatever) from the summon animals, an attack toy that randomly replicates itself into more attack toys, the two munitions bots, two healing drones, an arcane construct and a golem.
It's just ridiculous. I don't even know if I'd want to throw items into that, it's almost too much overkill.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Come play Champions Online.

We got Mecha Nixon swimsuit contests!

Flying Squirrels!

And BluhMan's mom!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I am ditching Wild West Nixon and need a new theme idea, I was thinking dark mid evil overlord Nixon. Can anyone think of a better idea?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stevie Nixon.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The Mason-Nixon Line?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Good Nixon.

vvvvv

Aphrodite posted:

Alternate Reality Soviet Nixon.
Lenin's Radioactive Brain would approve.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 9, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nixon of Sam.

Saint Nixon.

Alternate Reality Soviet Nixon.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Soviet Nixon.

We have a winner, also a CC in 15min.

Edit:

So much for my CC hat trick, got smacked down on number 3 by a really lovely SPEAR CC.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 9, 2012

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
90's Costume set dropped.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Oh hey, look. Travis Touchdown-esque beam katanas.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

ColHannibal posted:

We have a winner, also a CC in 15min.

Edit:

So much for my CC hat trick, got smacked down on number 3 by a really lovely SPEAR CC.

Like there's non-lovely SPEAR CCs :v:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Benjamin Black posted:

Oh hey, look. Travis Touchdown-esque beam katanas.

Those have been in the game since launch. :colbert:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's an article up now on that public quest-style system the team is planning, Alerts. Probably easiest to click the link, but it seems like it'll be an instanced thing that's auto-started and auto-joined once enough people click the alert. Sounds like something the game needed anyway.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So, just logged on for the first time in a while and apparently none of my characters can access the majority of the costume options I own. New ones can get anything, but old ones have lots of empty drop-down menus, or ones that are severely limited. Moreso than just basic silver players, I think(though I don't know for sure). As a Lifetime sub with a shitload of the various costume packs, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening.

Anyone got a fix?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

So, just logged on for the first time in a while and apparently none of my characters can access the majority of the costume options I own. New ones can get anything, but old ones have lots of empty drop-down menus, or ones that are severely limited. Moreso than just basic silver players, I think(though I don't know for sure). As a Lifetime sub with a shitload of the various costume packs, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening.

Anyone got a fix?
That... is a good question. If you were F2P then several of what used to be free/generic costume pieces are now locked beyond c-store paywalls, but you're lifetime subbed and you should have those unlocked since, you know, you're lifetime subbed. :raise: Try making a new costume and see if it works there? Try contacting support?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Support's response was to ask me to list every single costume item that's not showing up(which is like, over 90% of the game's stuff. there is no way i can list them all) and then immediately mark it solved within that same question they asked me. I can't even respond to their email since it's done through the Perfect World system instead of the Cryptic one and I only have a Cryptic account. :psyduck:

Making a new costume on an old character is no different. But like I said, newly made characters can access everything. So I'm not sure what the hell is going on here. I guess I'll just make a Perfect World account and merge the two and try support again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are they missing, or locked?

And is it just the Gold exclusives, or more than that?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Straight up missing, they aren't even showing up in any of the drop-downs. There's a few weird cases too, like if I select Jackets, it puts me in the Golden Age jacket, but that jacket is missing from the drop-down menu for Jackets entirely.

I'm not sure what parts are available to the plain F2P folks, but I'd assume I'm missing everything but those. None of my purchased costume pack parts are showing, none of the Gold parts are showing, not even my Lifetime art deco parts or my preorder bonus wings or whatever. They are just gone from the menus entirely.

And then on newly made characters, this isn't an issue. They have access to everything they're supposed to have, and the stuff I don't have shows up as locked but still is in the drop-downs. It's only the old ones- characters I've had since around launch.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 22, 2012

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Have you tried reinstalling?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's happening on both my laptop and my desktop computers, so I've been assuming it's an account-level thing and not like corrupted downloads or something. I'll give that a try overnight tonight though. Uuuugh reinstalling takes so long.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well I can assume both of those installs where pre f2p.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kelp Plankton posted:

Straight up missing, they aren't even showing up in any of the drop-downs. There's a few weird cases too, like if I select Jackets, it puts me in the Golden Age jacket, but that jacket is missing from the drop-down menu for Jackets entirely.
I have the same problem too with poo poo just missing in the menus, and I literally just installed this game last night and started playing (F2P, though the account is from 2010 when I first played ST:O).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should have stuff missing if you're F2P though.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Well, unless they changed it (or unless you have the toggle that hides stuff you don't own, can't remember if that exists or not though) you should see stuff you don't own, just with an icon next to it showing that you need to make a purchase to get it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Aphrodite posted:

You should have stuff missing if you're F2P though.
Yeah but the reason I figured I'm missing things is that if I switch to certain categories it defaults to an option I can use but not select. For example if I switch to the "Hats and Helmets" category it defaults to "Baseball Cap Low" but it's not in the drop down menu, and if I switch away from it I can't select it again.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Solved it! So apparently they 'streamlined the costume making process' for 'new players', which means hiding a ton of poo poo until you complete the tutorial.

If you are a returning player, you must do the tutorial once more to 'unlock' the missing costume pieces on all your characters. Once you do that, everything works fine. Costume items, both owned and unowned, will all display appropriately in the costume editor.

Terrible way to handle things, honestly, and they really should mention this somewhere, but at least it's a simple fix.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Wow, that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. There's hardly anything to learn in the tutorial, why would they shovel old players back through it? :psyduck:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Solved it! So apparently they 'streamlined the costume making process' for 'new players', which means hiding a ton of poo poo until you complete the tutorial.
Yeah I just checked the tailor and everything's showing up now. I had actually checked earlier when I exited the tutorial zone but apparently I didn't actually finish the tutorial fully so everything was still hidden. I have to question the logic of locking away like 90% of the customization options for new players, but whatever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

..... :ughh:

Oh, Cryptic.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Right, speaking of costumes going wrong, Shr3d convinced me that we should hold a Costume Contest sometime soon. Against some of my better judgement, I will be hosting and providing all the funds for it (If anyone else is willing to step up to the plate for hosting, please, feel free).

I'm feeling most comfortable with 5 categories. The only things left to determine here are what the categories should be and which weekend it should be based on when people can show up. So, post potential times and categories you'd like to judge!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Il kick in 100g if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Most accurate copy of a B-side hero.

I shall show up dressed as Booster Gold. Yes I did this and yes it's very accurate. Yes, I have no shame and am horribly unoriginal.