Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Saoshyant posted:

This one was drawn by Tom in a Livestream thing he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

She probably needed to be named in the ether.

I meant Tom and all the fans. I don't think anyone in-comic's used the name on her until now.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

MikeJF posted:

I meant Tom and all the fans. I don't think anyone in-comic's used the name on her until now.

Ah, gotcha. It didn't really make sense anyway, because if they had to be named in the ether then they probably wouldn't have to be isolated from human students.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heliotrope posted:

This one was drawn by Tom in a Livestream thing he did.

Oh, that's nice to know. It really seemed his style more than anyone's, and do I love that little Woodstock there.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
What's that duck with the top hat from? Aside from a place of excellent taste, that is.

Also, I immediately looked for City Face in that picture :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I couldn't find Drinky Crow neither.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Saoshyant posted:

And this was a popular meme at the time.

It feels weird seeing tributes to this one photoshop you made years back.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the guide Tom. I had a hard time telling This Girl Too and This Other One apart.

Also, teacher's name is Bugsy :D

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Whoever turned that fish guy into a human didn't do a very thorough job of it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
This Other One's been growing her hair out. Her Too knows when to stick with a look, though.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Well, thanks for clearing that up, Tom...

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Anybody else give them your own names as you read through it?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Action-Bastard posted:

Oh good job, doofus. Now you've named all of them. That's the end of that class!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fuego Fish posted:

It feels weird seeing tributes to this one photoshop you made years back.

Tell me more about poo poo from your ancient posting history sticking around forever. :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Boxman posted:

Tell me more about poo poo from your ancient posting history sticking around forever. :allears:

The irony is palpable
Unless that's what you intended to do

Hopefully we'll see the fairies again soon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Potsticker posted:

I'm confused. The word "hear" doesn't appear on that page at all?

These pages are just the most :3:est thing ever. I love Kat punching Muut. I love Mort's AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHWhat? I love the card.

Just :3: forever

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Potsticker posted:

I'm confused. The word "hear" doesn't appear on that page at all?

Elftor posted:

I assumed it was a joke, because "you" is the only word in bold.

It's referencing this page.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Action-Bastard posted:

The fish guy is quite obviously named Desmond.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Stolen from 100 HOGS AGREE in the achewood thread:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
And in case you don't get the reference (go read all of Achewood now)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

And in case you don't get the reference (go read all of Achewood now)

May as well, I suppose.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Walker posted:

May as well, I suppose.

If you do, don't start randomly or from the beginning. Achewood takes a while to click. Start with the Great Outdoor Fight.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I would argue that The Party is a good place to start but GOF is also a very good arc. Just think, if you like Achewood you have something to read while waiting for GC to update

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So I've finally got around to reading this comic (in part thanks to the CAD Mock thread). And I've been, to say the least, inspired to honor the true hero of this story:

VVV uploaded everything search for gtcc. Watch the Forza thread, it may find it's way onto one of my 'Project 82' cars...

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 23, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YF19pilot posted:

So I've finally got around to reading this comic (in part thanks to the CAD Mock thread). And I've been, to say the least, inspired to honor the true hero of this story:

Why would you make such a terrible thing.

Terrible.

I will be downloading this as soon as I get home.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dodgeball posted:

Stolen from 100 HOGS AGREE in the achewood thread:

Oh my goodness.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Boxman posted:

<:mad:>

Although seriously I have seen that photoshop referenced all over the Internet. I have no idea why it became so briefly popular.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm running through the archives again for the first time in a while, and it just continues to amaze me with how well written, plotted, paced, and drawn it is. Ask me a hundred times what my favorite comic is, and every time it's Gunnerkrigg Court. Followed closely by Dr. McNinja.

Also, I can't believe I forgot this line:

Red posted:

Hey Fats McGee! Be friends with Lady Tubsalot again!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
So there are officially 36 chapters in the books. While we're waiting patiently and torturously for Monday's update, what's your favorite one?

For me, it's chapter 19, The Power Station--maybe just because Zimmy's a great character and we finally get a peek inside her madness. The art is great, we get a better look at more characters, and we get a fantastic fakeout.

We also get one of the most stilted, Resident Evil-ish lines in the comic, though. (panel 4)

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 23, 2012

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Ironic Twist posted:

So there are officially 36 chapters in the books. While we're waiting patiently and torturously for Monday's update, what's your favorite one?

MY favorite, personally, is Chapter 25. There's a certain quality in the innocence of the court robots as well as the horrifying revelation in regard to the court's past that just make it a very moving chapter.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Sky Watcher and the Angel (25) is the best chapter. That's really all there is to say about it.

There could be a reasonable discussion about second-favorite, though. I like A Bad Start (29). It doesn't have any pyrotechnics or much change of scenery and basically involves two characters having a chat about stuff. But it also has some really great writing and character moments. And, of course, it has the most important thing, which is tons and tons of Kat.*

Residential (24) is also good, because I love the way it turns the standard camping story on its head. And because it has laser cows. I mean... come on! Laser cows!

* Given the way the Internet is, I feel compelled to mention that Kat is my favorite character because she reminds me of my daughter.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

If you do, don't start randomly or from the beginning. Achewood takes a while to click. Start with the Great Outdoor Fight.

No way, no way! The Party is the latest you want to start! You'd be missing so much if you started at the GOF.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Tea-san posted:

No way, no way! The Party is the latest you want to start! You'd be missing so much if you started at the GOF.

You can always go back to read the past stuff, but the hook of the GOF is far more engaging than the Party. I love the Party, but the GOF will make fans for life. It's solid and things loving happen which isn't the case in a lot of Achewood's throw-aways (or the Party).

EDIT: Since it's you, the chapter I use to get people hooked on Gunnerkrigg is Coyote Stories. It has visuals in the court, the forest, we introduce Coyote to newcomers and the different panel styles he creates. It doesn't ruin past chapters, and they always can read the past stuff and "catch up" to that story and beyond. Each time (about 4) I recommend this chapter, you inherit fans for life, and it's only midway. It's like using Empire Strikes Back to get someone into Star Wars. There's stuff before they need to see, but also there's stuff they need to catch up on.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 23, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sky Watcher and the Angel (25) is the best chapter. That's really all there is to say about it.

This man speaks The Truth.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Ironic Twist posted:

While we're waiting patiently and torturously for Monday's update, what's your favorite one?

Without a doubt it would have to be chapter 30. Some come close but it's a chapter I can easily read anytime (and CAN thanks to owning volume 3). It's just so full of highs and lows and really speaks to Toms writing and pacing.

(chapter 25 does come close, though)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

idonotlikepeas posted:

There could be a reasonable discussion about second-favorite, though. I like A Bad Start (29). It doesn't have any pyrotechnics or much change of scenery and basically involves two characters having a chat about stuff. But it also has some really great writing and character moments. And, of course, it has the most important thing, which is tons and tons of Kat.*

Residential (24) is also good, because I love the way it turns the standard camping story on its head. And because it has laser cows. I mean... come on! Laser cows!

* Given the way the Internet is, I feel compelled to mention that Kat is my favorite character because she reminds me of my daughter.

Ha, 24, that one made me feel bad for Paz, so excited to see a cow, but it's not real. And I agree with 29, if only because we get to learn the true beginings of City Face!

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Oh, don't try to make me choose a favorite chapter! I like them all!

Although, one of more recent chapters I like is Chapter 26, The Old Dog's Tricks, because Ysengrin's probably one of the characters I'm most curious about. I was never really fond of him until this point, and now he's one of my favorite characters.

But prior to that, I've always really liked Chapter 11, Dobranoc, Gamma. Zimmy and Gamma are such enigmatic characters it's not hard to find them fascinating. Plus, Gamma always seems like such a total sweetheart it's hard not to like her. :3:

And I like Power Station, too, because it's so creepy and always leaves me wanting to know more about Zimmy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
After hearing all the praise for this comic, I decided to read it, and I caught up this morning.

If it wasn't for all the praise, though, I probably would have just stopped after Chapter 5. It was just really dull and Antimony was too emotionless to relate to. It only started to get interesting in Chapter 14.

It has gotten better though, after Antimony came out of her shell a bit and started seeming more human.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

After hearing all the praise for this comic, I decided to read it, and I caught up this morning.

If it wasn't for all the praise, though, I probably would have just stopped after Chapter 5. It was just really dull and Antimony was too emotionless to relate to. It only started to get interesting in Chapter 14.

It has gotten better though, after Antimony came out of her shell a bit and started seeming more human.

Yeah, you really need to bear with the early chapters. The art will get fantastic and the writing will become excellent, but it had some growing pains to go through first. You will not regret sticking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Chapter 15 (Red Returns) is one of the best chapters, it really lays a lot of the foreshadowing for how weird the faeries are in later chapters, and it introduces us to faeries as the wacky side characters that made this most recent trip to greatness possible. Without Chapter 15, Annie's character becoming what it does post the summer in the forrest makes no sense, the greatest single panel gag (Fatts McGee be friends with Lady Tubsalot again.) makes no sense, and we don't have the chapter that gave us so much avatar fodder. Plus the gag the chapter ends on is funny.