Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

YggiDee posted:

Act 5 was "Jack Kills Everyone," whereas Act 6 is "Everyone kills Tinkerbulls".

Lord English's true plan revealed.

Kill all Tinkerbulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WAR FOOT posted:

Kill all Tinkerbulls.

SBURB exists solely to propagate new worlds with additional Tinkerbulls for Lord English to destroy. That's why the beta session had to be scratched, its host planet failed to produce any Tinkerbulls.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Gabriel Pope posted:

SBURB exists solely to propagate new worlds with additional Tinkerbulls for Lord English to destroy. That's why the beta session had to be scratched, its host planet failed to produce any Tinkerbulls.

Then who was Tavros's ancestor's lusus?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Lady of the Beech posted:

Then who was Tavros's ancestor's lusus?

RUFIO.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Not many people know this, but Tinkerbull meat is the sweetest meat of all.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

dumb brunette posted:

Jesus christ, why does someone pointing that out offend these people.
Tumblr is basically all about being offended, like that whole racism flap a month ago.

Cabbit posted:

Leading up to the climatic chapter 7, "Jack Kills Every Tinkerbull."
N-nooooo :ohdear:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Tumblr is basically all about being offended, like that whole racism flap a month ago.

Yeah a good portion of Tumblr just a big self-perpetuating ouroboros of dumb fandom bullshit (for multiple fandoms including homestuck), powered by endless reblogs, bad OC art, and poorly-written ask blogs.

You know, just in case you wanted to know how ask-gamzee-and-dave-who-are-also-ponies-cosplaying-hetalia.tumblr.com feels about whatever bullshit people are wigging out about this week.

WAR FOOT posted:

Kill all Tinkerbulls.

Clearly the next adventure will be TINKERBULL'S REVENGE.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Armadillos! posted:

When she hit him with the scepter, it really really needed a *donk* or some other sound effect.

It would've been perfect!

:confuoot:
CLOCK

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

cathead posted:

Clearly the next adventure will be TINKERBULL'S REVENGE.

Devilbeast carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This Hive is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the wigglers will drown. The accumulated filth of all their buckets and murder will foam up about their waists and all the moirails and mothergrubs will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No." They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good trolls like my Summoner or The Empress. Decent trolls who believed in a day's work for a day's pay. Instead they followed the droppings of legislators and subjuggulators and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole of Alternia stands on the brink, staring down into bloody Horrorterrors, all those lusus and seadwellers and manipulators... and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 23, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tavros really exists to be the epicenter of a private universe of shame, weakness, and humiliation, doesn't he? Even his lusus is a comedy prop for the purpose of killing in embarassing ways.

I'm also again reminded of how much I wish we got to hear from the lusus-sprites. I think all we ever got was some giggles from Terezi's.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Dolash posted:

I'm also again reminded of how much I wish we got to hear from the lusus-sprites. I think all we ever got was some giggles from Terezi's.

Along with Mothersprite being motherly.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What is the troll alphabet again?

e: VVV I KNEW it was Daedric, thanks!

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 23, 2012

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's the Daedric alphabet from the Elder Scrolls games, but it's mirrored or rotated 180 degrees or something. I think trolls read right to left?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
They sometimes write in latin, too apparently.

Or that could just be translation for our convenience.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Cabbit posted:

They maintain it's a show for adults because society has, historically, told them that they're bad people for enjoying something that is for kids. Society just loves marginalizing and shaming people who do things outside certain parameters, so they need to try and redefine the parameters. Which is, in all honesty, pretty loving silly on every level-- you're an adult, enjoy whatever the gently caress you want and ignore anyone who decides they need to act an rear end in a top hat about it.

Just, you know, maybe do it away from me.
you also have to consider the fact that a lot of people are kind of disgusted at how desperately middle and upper class American adults latch onto infantilizing themselves. Bronies are nothing new; they're a trend in adults embracing childish entertainment that's almost kind of the norm now with a lot of video games and cartoons.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

snucks posted:

you also have to consider the fact that a lot of people are kind of disgusted at how desperately middle and upper class American adults latch onto infantilizing themselves. Bronies are nothing new; they're a trend in adults embracing childish entertainment that's almost kind of the norm now with a lot of video games and cartoons.

Apparently Upper Class means something else in America? I don't necessarily see how it follows that enjoying a piece of media that you technically aren't in the demographic for is infantilizing yourself, but I agree this is hardly new, grown men have been watching kids cartoons and playing kids video games for years now. Who gives a gently caress.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So I'm lead to wonder: where do carapace people go when they sleep, if anywhere?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Gnome de plume posted:

So I'm lead to wonder: where do carapace people go when they sleep, if anywhere?

I would say they just have regular old symbolic nonsense dreams that God Tiers can somehow access.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Morganman posted:

Me too! :hf:

Lovin' all these dramabombs. Hussie writes awkward teens really well. Like, spooky well.

Non-insane 16 year old homestuck fans represent :unsmith:

Homestuck was actually in distinct danger of losing me for the past few weeks, but between Jane and more Midnight Crew dialogue I'm reminded of why I'm in for the long haul.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Eox posted:

Non-insane homestuck fans represent :unsmith:

You know what's funny? I recently transfered to a 4-year college where I knew few people. I decided to go to some clubs to meet some people, and went to one with my Dave Strider shirt on. First thing they asked me at one of the clubs was "who do you ship?" which threw me off. I should have taken that as a warning sign, but after a day or two they seemed normal. They even told me I was "amazing because I was a sane Homestuck fan."

And then at the last meeting they started talking about their fan session. :stare:

It was like some kind of awkward nightmare. :gonk:

They're still not incredibly bad though, I guess. As long as you don't talk about that particular topic.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TOAST7312 posted:

You know what's funny? I recently transfered to a 4-year college where I knew few people. I decided to go to some clubs to meet some people, and went to one with my Dave Strider shirt on. First thing they asked me at one of the clubs was "who do you ship?" which threw me off. I should have taken that as a warning sign, but after a day or two they seemed normal. They even told me I was "amazing because I was a sane Homestuck fan."

And then at the last meeting they started talking about their fan session. :stare:

They're still not incredibly bad though, I guess. As long as you don't talk about that particular topic.

No joke, I am legitimately afraid to tell people I like Homestuck. It feels like every time I meet another fan they're always obnoxious about it, once they know I like it too they start throwing quotes and references around like they're going out of style. It's really off putting.

It's also really annoying because they almost universally have gotten into it later than I did. I don't know how homestuck attracts new readers, because if I saw the fandom as it is now I'd avoid homesuck out of spite.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TOAST7312 posted:

Hey, hey, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with fan sessions.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Luckily I seem to have been spared the misfortune of bad Homestuck fans in my life. Unfortunately I don't know any Homestuck fans at all.

I do know some My Little Pony fans, though, and they're actually pretty chill and not like the awful brony sort. They don't get indignant about it, they're just like "hey, I like watching this show".

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Well Manicured Man posted:

I interpreted that as him saying their particular fan session was awful, which it very well could be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did you run out of the room, arms flailing, yelling 'This is stupid!'?

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Wrist Watch posted:

No joke, I am legitimately afraid to tell people I like Homestuck. It feels like every time I meet another fan they're always obnoxious about it, once they know I like it too they start throwing quotes and references around like they're going out of style. It's really off putting.

It's also really annoying because they almost universally have gotten into it later than I did. I don't know how homestuck attracts new readers, because if I saw the fandom as it is now I'd avoid homesuck out of spite.

I honestly don't mind the references; properly timed alleged warnings about things can sometimes lead to hilarity. It's the obnoxious closed-mindedness that gets to me. That sense of 'I know it better then you do' thing. The one guy who had said the "ship" thing to me is actually a nice guy, but things like getting, even ironically, upset that there's "another god drat nepeta(leo)" are just not in good taste when meeting new people. Even when they share interests with you.

It did make it easier to talk to them at least. There was some common ground. The topic of when they started reading has never come up yet, though. They usually classify people as 'archiver' or 'serial' readers like hussie did; namely, people who haven't gotten to the current page and people who are waiting for updates.

I got the shirts both because I liked them and because it would eliminate the need to tell people. The ones who read it would know, and if they knew what Homestuck was it would be easy to tell. Fans in the real world, sane or otherwise, almost always react to overt symbols in a sort of 'hopy poo poo' double take sort of way. The sane ones will say something like 'I like your shirt' or make a subtle reference, most of the time. The others, well... :smith:

EDIT:

Well Manicured Man posted:

Oh no, I agree with you. It's the "creative liberties" that some fans take that make them unsavory. If I were to participate in such a thing, I'd want it to be as close to the canon sburb system as possible. Not hundreds of thousands of 25-year-old exploding Mage of Sky clones killing other players. That's just asking for a case of the animes.

SynthOrange posted:

Did you run out of the room, arms flailing, yelling 'This is stupid!'?

If only I had. Then again, they might have gone all rose-eyebrows and chased me down or some weird poo poo.

3x EDIT COMBO: VVVVVVVVVVV

Unless it was a fantroll session. Then it's canon.
This is a fact. A fact from a Hussie.

TOAST7312 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 24, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

TOAST7312 posted:

Oh no, I agree with you. It's the "creative liberties" that some fans take that make them unsavory. If I were to participate in such a thing, I'd want it to be as close to the canon sburb system as possible. Not hundreds of thousands of 25-year-old exploding Mage of Sky clones killing other players. That's just asking for a case of the animes.

The only "canon" fansession is when a meteor kills the players before they can enter the session. :smug:

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
I was introduced by a friend of mine to Homestuck. He's great, and normal, and everything. I was so excited when I finally caught up (around the time of Cascade), and went and found this thread. Then I came across some Homestuck slash fanart.

That moment, I realised that Homestuck actually had a fandom... :psyduck:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Heh, funny moment. I noticed that one of the TAs for a class I'm in was sporting a Hero of Mind hoodie; complimented him on it, but that was about the extent of the reaction beyond confirming that I do read Homestuck. I don't think he's the type to go overboard fandom-wise, though, so it'd be neat to have a discussion here and there with him.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Theme for Jake's Lusus fights over on Hellmurder island.

It's mostly just practicing chiptunes some more, and actually using drums in them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Despite having two MSPA-related shirts, I have not once had anyone comment on them or even met anyone in real life who reads Homestuck.

...I should probably live in a less retiree-filled town.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

I really only have a one friend that reads Homestuck, but we both started it because we read Problem Sleuth back when we were in middle school. We were so psyched when we heard he was doing another story, you have no idea :allears:

The extent of annoying references we go to is with the Rose eyebrow wiggles but there is no competition. He is simply the best there is.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
Homestuck has a really bad fandom, generally speaking. This is the only place I even go to interact with other fans. Sometimes I lurk HSG on /co/ because it moves veeery quickly but honestly it's like a Hussie-flavoured trainwreck.

The only Homestuck fan I've ever seen in my day to day life (that I didn't introduce to it, so discounting my little sister and best friends) was one of the zombies at the haunted house I worked at last year. I was the pirate captain for 13th Floor AZ (top-ranked house in the southwest, top ten in the nation!) and one of the zombies in the Zombieland limited attraction had a Vriska shirt. I never brought it up but she seemed nice.

Speed edit: probably should've pointed out that zombies provided their own clothes, so it was definitely not a coincidence.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wrist Watch posted:

[...]I don't know how homestuck attracts new readers, because if I saw the fandom as it is now I'd avoid homesuck out of spite.

That's what a friend of mine was like for the longest time, until they realized that sane people (e.g. me) read it and enjoy it too.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Speaking of the insane fans, I've heard numerous conflicting stories about the Homestuck Cosplayers at cons.

Australia's finally getting Comic-Con (With Stan Lee and Sir Patrick Stewart :swoon: )

As a general rule, should I just steer the gently caress clear of them? Make no mention of the fact it's a comic I read, and don't make eye contact?

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

WAR FOOT posted:

Speaking of the insane fans, I've heard numerous conflicting stories about the Homestuck Cosplayers at cons.

Australia's finally getting Comic-Con (With Stan Lee and Sir Patrick Stewart :swoon: )

As a general rule, should I just steer the gently caress clear of them? Make no mention of the fact it's a comic I read, and don't make eye contact?

Goons are all about hyperbole. Cosplayers are not literally human waste that will devalue your worth as a human being, but a lot of them are weird and awkward and annoying.

But some of them aren't! Treat them like anyone else, I guess. But remember they're in a place where they feel like they don't have to be ashamed of their tastes and fandoms, so they'll probably act on it and emphasise it more than they would in general.

If that sounds like it would be really annoying then maybe you shouldn't go to a con?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Eh, that came across more snide and negative than I intended.

I too am prone to hyperbole!

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Starmaker posted:

Goons are all about hyperbole. Cosplayers are not literally human waste that will devalue your worth as a human being, but a lot of them are weird and awkward and annoying.

But some of them aren't! Treat them like anyone else, I guess. But remember they're in a place where they feel like they don't have to be ashamed of their tastes and fandoms, so they'll probably act on it and emphasise it more than they would in general.

If that sounds like it would be really annoying then maybe you shouldn't go to a con?

Yeah, the truth is that you won't find anybody cosplaying that you wouldn't also find anyone just like who isn't cosplaying, and vice versa. Cosplaying is just A Thing You Do At Cons so nobody feels weird doing it. If you have an idea, and you can afford it, you do it. And Cons really are way more fun if you're cosplaying, and avoiding weirdos is still pretty easy. (Just don't wear anything that someone can grab onto. The Hynes Security has to bad leashes and chains from Anime Boston because people kept grabbing them when they didn't know the person wearing them and things got really bad.)

My only experience with Homestuck cosplayers is that the people cosplaying trolls were very in character, in that they didn't want to talk to you. I wanted to get pictures of some good ones and they just kind of kept on walking. But on the other hand, the people cosplaying Johns and Daves and the such were very friendly and were happy to pose for pictures or sign a Scavenger Hunt sheet. (Character that has died more than twice? Boy, that's easy.)

Terrible things happen at cons, but great things happen too. It's like a party where everyone acts like they're on the internet in person, so just like the internet there is the best and the worst showing up.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

QueerPope posted:

Cosplaying is just A Thing You Do At Cons so nobody feels weird doing it. If you have an idea, and you can afford it, you do it. And Cons really are way more fun if you're cosplaying, and avoiding weirdos is still pretty easy.

I've only been to a couple cons, and I've never cosplayed because I'm a boring person with no imagination. Some of my friends did, and honestly those who cosplayed (especially if they did so well) seemed like they were having much more fun. You almost feel a bit out of place going without being dressed up, like being at a Halloween party in normal clothes. I guess some people just like to dress up every now and then?

Now don't get me wrong, nerds can be pretty weird, and cons have a lot of nerds, so you're going to meet weird people. But cosplay is not a very good barometer. I say bring the standard kit you use to determine these things, they will still work at cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'll keep it in mind, and give some thought to dressing up. Maybe. Thanks!