Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Costello Jello posted:

You've had it for 3 days, why not just return it?

Mainly because I'm lazy, but also because the store I bought it from has a fairly strict return policy. They should have another one in stock though, so I'll see what I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

If the camera is faulty it should be your statutory right to return it, no matter what the store's own policy is, unless it's different in whatever place you are.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Agreed - this isn't a question of you not liking it, it's a question of a bad camera making it out of the factory. It's not your fault or the store's fault, it's Fuji's fault and Fuji's responsibility to fix.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I know, I know... it's just that it's a borderline negligible problem, but yes, my brand new camera should not have a problem like that.

This is it, by the way (magnified 200%)

Cacator fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 22, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

I know, I know... it's just that it's a borderline negligible problem, but yes, my brand new camera should not have a problem like that.

This is it, by the way (magnified 200%)

Send it back, at least they'll have the tools to remap the sensor and mark that pixel as bad.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Miso Beno posted:

Send it back, at least they'll have the tools to remap the sensor and mark that pixel as bad.

Just got it exchanged. This one has a serial number starting with 14 while my last one was 21, hopefully I won't encounter the "sticky aperture blade" issue.

Edit: Maybe I'm crazy, but this one has a looser exposure dial and the lens cap doesn't match the silver of the camera. Plus it was preloaded with 1.11 (the ones with the supposedly fixed lens mount should be preloaded with 1.12, which is what the last one had). THIS IS WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF!!! Of course, it could be that I have absolutely no issues with this camera, but the universe always finds a way of screwing me.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 23, 2012

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am really torn. How did those of you with a mirrorless camera make your choice of which system?

On one hand is the lessor sensor of the m4/3 but with more native lenses. On the other hand is NEX with the sensor but basically no lenses (the 24 is a biiiit out of my price range).

Non-native lenses are not really a factor to me, but I do realize that it'd be a superior experience on the NEX with peak focusing.

Any insights guys?
Also anyone with an E-PL2/3 (I guess E-P2/3 too), how is the video for you? Not a serious video person but I'd like to have it be 'usable'.

I switched to mirrorless because with the Canon system I became a gear head and collected lots and lots of heavy (and expensive) lenses that I ultimately didn't need, and got the urge to start afresh, so I literally sold 3k euro worth of lenses, lighting gear, etc and started again with a Panasonic GF2.

keyframe posted:

As much as I hate the m4/3 sensor, the omd seems to be hitting all right notes. I will probably end up getting one. What is a nice 50mm equivalent lens for it?

Tried a NEX 5 at a store and found it too small for my liking.

Panasonic 25mm F1.4 nearest, but quite pricey. The Panasonic 20mm F1.7 is probably your best best, and if you're looking for something a bit longer the Olympus 45mm F1.8 is absolutely superb.

Killer Queen posted:

Where's the best place to pick up a cheap used GF2, by the way? eBay? I'm trying to figure out if I want an E-PL1/2 or a GF1/2 for my entry into the world of m4/3. I'm thinking the Panasonic 20mm pancake would cover me for most of what I would do, then I decide from there if I need a zoom and/or wider lens.

I picked up a refurbished model off ebay, from this seller http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/digigood - subsequently I have purchased other electronic kids. Very happy, the GF2 was cheap as chips but I find the touch screen can get in the way rather than be a boon.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am really torn. How did those of you with a mirrorless camera make your choice of which system?

For me it was no contest; I'd wanted a mirrorless as my "take around anywhere" camera, which includes a lot of stuff at night. The m4/3 sensor has pretty lovely high ISO and didn't seem like it'd ever make any significant improvements (Oly/Panasonic kinda boxed themselves in to a small, high-density sensor), so I went with the NEX basically as soon as it was released.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The latest m4/3 sensors do perform pretty well up to about 3200 so I think they make for a valid option now, especially with all the new fast lenses coming out.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Aside from the lovely iso performance are there any shortcomings when it comes to image quality or anything else with the m4/3 sensors? I have never shot with one so I have no idea.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

keyframe posted:

Aside from the lovely iso performance are there any shortcomings when it comes to image quality or anything else with the m4/3 sensors? I have never shot with one so I have no idea.

Honestly, I'm pleased with the performance of my GH2 up to ISO 12800.

Here's a sample I took with my GH2 using a Holga lens at ISO 12800 under fluorescent lighting.

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.

keyframe posted:

No problems whatsoever. Just make sure you enjoy the feel of the camera - a lot of people aren't fond of the drop from large DSLR in terms of handling. Again, no problems personally there.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
High ISO isn't bad. If you're coming from film or an older DSLR, it's loving amazing. I sold my D200 and much of my F mount stuff and got the GF1, I regret nothing.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keyframe posted:

Lower dynamic range/inaccurate color at higher ISO. But this is not something you can easily tell. I have been shooting SLR for 10+ years and I honestly couldn't tell with my eyes 3 years ago.

So it may not be a minus to you depends on your personal taste.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

Go take a look at the dpreview comparisons of say the GX1 or G3 compared to say the Canon 60D. "lovely ISO performance" is not what I would call that. I downloaded GX1 files and printed decent 8x10s with minor tweaks, from ISO 6400...

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Startyde posted:

High ISO isn't bad. If you're coming from film or an older DSLR, it's loving amazing. I sold my D200 and much of my F mount stuff and got the GF1, I regret nothing.

The jump in low light performance between my D200 and my GH2/GF2/GH1 is simply spectacular.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like OM-D is the one for me.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like OM-D is the one for me.

Are you moving from the X100 or just looking to supplement? I thought I remembered you were keen on the Nex7, what happened there? I'm just curious.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Am i stupid to be thinking of replacing my 40D with something mirrorless? Love the look of the xpro1 (the price not so much). Would love to still have a viewfinder as i really dislike taking pictures with a lcd backscreen.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Aargh posted:

Am i stupid to be thinking of replacing my 40D with something mirrorless? Love the look of the xpro1 (the price not so much). Would love to still have a viewfinder as i really dislike taking pictures with a lcd backscreen.

I did this very same thing. I initially bought the NEX 5N as a secondary camera but it has become my primary camera mostly due to the light weight, small size and image quality.

I'm slowly getting used to shooting with an LCD screen. It's okay in most conditions but isn't very good in bright light. Focus peaking is the killer feature for this camera system because for some reason not a lot of other manufacturers have worked it in.

My biggest gripe with the NEX system is the lack of good, reasonably-priced lenses. But that will work itself out in time whether by Sony or someone else. If you want a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder but can't spend bazillions on a camera plus lenses, I would recommend the NEX 7 because you can use old manual focus lenses with it really well.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I did this very same thing. I initially bought the NEX 5N as a secondary camera but it has become my primary camera mostly due to the light weight, small size and image quality.

I'm slowly getting used to shooting with an LCD screen. It's okay in most conditions but isn't very good in bright light. Focus peaking is the killer feature for this camera system because for some reason not a lot of other manufacturers have worked it in.

My biggest gripe with the NEX system is the lack of good, reasonably-priced lenses. But that will work itself out in time whether by Sony or someone else. If you want a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder but can't spend bazillions on a camera plus lenses, I would recommend the NEX 7 because you can use old manual focus lenses with it really well.

The Sigma 19 and 30mm lenses might be decent, and they've been priced @ $200~ for m/43, so probably $200-250 for nex. I saw a review for the 30 2.8 and it said it's pretty sharp and decent, but has a fair bit of CA. Usually CA isn't too hard to get rid of with lightroom, so yay!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Are you moving from the X100 or just looking to supplement? I thought I remembered you were keen on the Nex7, what happened there? I'm just curious.

I am moving on from the x100 because I want the ability to shoot with a nice 50mm lens and the xpro1 is simply super overpriced for me to justify spending that much cash on it.

I tried the nex 5 at a store here and found it way too small for my liking, It is P&S size and when you put a lens on it it is just absurdly unbalanced in my opinion. I believe the nex 7 is the same size if not just slightly bigger. Also seeing the OMD's weather proofing/5 axis in body IS and autofocus speed sealed the deal. Those are all things fuji x1pro should have had at the price they are asking for it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

So my X100 troubles are far from over, as my current one made a grinding noise when focusing that I asked Fuji about, and which they said was not normal. Gonna try and return this and wait until the store gets a brand new camera, or else it's getting sent to Fuji. Great quality control!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Cacator posted:

So my X100 troubles are far from over, as my current one made a grinding noise when focusing that I asked Fuji about, and which they said was not normal. Gonna try and return this and wait until the store gets a brand new camera, or else it's getting sent to Fuji. Great quality control!

A certain percentage of any electronic item will have problems, it's just an unfortunate thing we have to live with. It seems like you got lucky twice. You may want to play the lottery this week!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

A certain percentage of any electronic item will have problems, it's just an unfortunate thing we have to live with. It seems like you got lucky twice. You may want to play the lottery this week!

At this point I'd rather one of them had the sticky aperture blade problem, because at least that's fairly common and they have provisions to fix it. No, I just get the freaks. Third time's a charm I suppose, the next one will blow up and kill or maim me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well I finally got around to building my NEX flash to hot shoe thingamajiggy. I took a Seagull optical slave and linked it up to the flash with a TOSLINK cable. Seems to work well. Design needs a few tweaks here and there, but it works, which is half the battle.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, I guess a picture would help. Haven't had a chance to take a nice photo of it yet, but here it is for illustrative purposes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Good lord, man. What do you intend to shoot with that set-up, portrait shots? Or maybe fill-flash the moon's craters?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Frankenstein Flash, I like it. What's under the duct tape, and how does that interface with the accessory port on the top of the camera?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

It looks like an optical cable taped onto the clip on flash, which is taped to the optical slave on the other end.

Peridot
Mar 3, 2010
I was simultaneously fiddling with that exact flash while browsing an Nex7 review, moments prior to seeing frankenflash. Is this some kinda sign?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Why not just use an off shoe cord?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Startyde posted:

Why not just use an off shoe cord?

Because Sony is a bunch of poo poo heads and didn't provide any other way to use off-camera flash. I came up with this more as a way to be able to use a radio trigger with the NEX as opposed to mounting flashes on it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HPL I have the exact same seagull trigger and the Vivitar flash except the flash blanket thing.

I only use it to trigger the flash on a tripod remotely. For low light situation it works 100%. For outdoor day light situation it works 2/3 of the time due to strong environment light.

I don't want to invest too much on my setup. The way I see it, I might as well get a used NX100 for 100 something and get a real hot shoe. NEX is a crippled system.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I somehow missed this thread early on and have made all my m4/3 posts in the Olympus thread. I'll catch up though as it's only 30 pages... fine for a quiet day at work.

Just thought I'd draw attention to the Wanderlust Pinwide pinhole lens. It's only $40, and fun, if limited. It only works with m4/3 bodies for now, but may come to other mirrorless systems. It can't work with proper (D)SLRs because the pinhole is inset into the body.

The bottom two are essentially out of camera. It works well outdoors. The first two I may have wiped out some hot pixels, but I don't remember as I shot them a long time ago.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Looking to jump on the NEX-7 bandwagon from my old Canon XSi. I think the biggest thing I'll miss (literally biggest) is my 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - what a lens, but I'm super tired of dragging its huge rear end around and would love something portable with better low-light support. I shoot raw and use Lightroom 3; any reason not to go with a NEX-7? Because I'm totally ready to bu- er, well I guess pre-order it since it's still not anywhere. I imagine I'd be using the prime lenses and such until next year's G standard zoom comes out, according to the Sony roadmap?

I've been poring over reviews for days and it seems like Canon's mirrorless swappable-lens is so far away, and a part of me really doubts they'll nail the interface as well as the NEX-7. As long as AF performance is decent on the NEX-7 and its current lenses I'm mostly happy, even if somewhat dismayed at the lack of USM.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 5, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Canon actual has said in an interview they are going to release their mirrorless camera this year.

N7 is still the best body to shoot MF lenses.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Canon actual has said in an interview they are going to release their mirrorless camera this year.

N7 is still the best body to shoot MF lenses.

I placed my pre-order too late and looks like I won't be getting one while I'm back here in the States :smith:

I gotta cancel or amend my order so the rest of my poo poo ships, bummed I'm not going to have the NEX-7 for my sister's wedding on Saturday though. Guess I'll put in an order for later.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

teethgrinder posted:

Just thought I'd draw attention to the Wanderlust Pinwide pinhole lens. It's only $40, and fun, if limited. It only works with m4/3 bodies for now, but may come to other mirrorless systems. It can't work with proper (D)SLRs because the pinhole is inset into the body.

Do you know if that lens works on video modes? I don't have an m4/3 still camera, but have an AF-100 camcorder, which uses the same mount and was thinking about getting one of these pinhole lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Momonari kun posted:

Do you know if that lens works on video modes? I don't have an m4/3 still camera, but have an AF-100 camcorder, which uses the same mount and was thinking about getting one of these pinhole lenses.

I imagine it would work the same as any manual lens + adapter with no contacts, so yes.