Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

First one's been deleted. Second one's an '87, which is a 2nd gen. Much harder to find parts for, and a very small online community. Third one's a '90, which will probably have the B21A1. The B21A1 is a piece of poo poo - the gist of it is that the cylinder linings are a much harder material than the piston rings, which causes the rings to wear quickly and the motor to burn oil.

These aren't all that common anymore - the newest 3rd gen is going to be a '91, which was over 20 years ago now. These cars are pretty rust prone (like all 80s Hondas) so there are not many survivors, especially in rust states.

$1500 is a bit high though, you could do better than that if you looked around (although I don't know what the market in your area is like). I paid $600 (if I'm remembering right, it was a few years ago) and drove it home. Pic for reference:

Mine had ~117k on it when I got it. Came with a few dings, needed an exhaust installed (was in the trunk) and had some badly done rust repair by the fuel door. Also, it's an automatic non-4WS so it wasn't the most desirable version.

88 - 89 are good years. The B20A5 is a reliable, stout motor as long as the timing belt is kept up on. This motor also takes very well to boost. These cars are very prone to rusting above the rear wheels (especially by the fuel door). By today's standards, they are a bit thirsty for a lightweight NA 4-cyl though. Make sure the timing belt has been done - if not (or if unknown), do this ASAP, as a snapped belt will almost always necessitate an engine rebuild. Look for a 4WS if you can find one. Avoid the "S" models - these are generally stripper models with a dual-carb SOHC B20A3 motor. This motor is anemic and hard to find DIY information on, and the carbs are a pain in the rear end. Main relay issues are common. If someone's selling one cheap because it "won't start when it's hot out" jump on it, because that's almost certainly the culprit, and you can usually fix it yourself for free in 10 minutes with a soldering iron.

You may want to check out https://www.preludepower.com classifieds if you really want one of these. Good deals pop up all the time.

Holy poo poo, thanks for this, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for information wise. If the Si I'm looking at doesn't have 4WS how hard is that to retrofit and how much does the assembly cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I need to stop reading this thread. Now you guys have me looking at 3rd gen Preludes on craigslist...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Black88GTA posted:

Make sure the timing belt has been done - if not (or if unknown), do this ASAP, as a snapped belt will almost always necessitate an engine rebuild. Look for a 4WS if you can find one.

Do the waterpump too - my father had an Accord with the same engine many years ago which suffered from a seized waterpump, resulting is a snapped cambelt and a bunch of bent valves. Personally I wouldn't consider lack of 4ws a dealbreaker - its only really useful for parking.

rscott posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for this, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for information wise. If the Si I'm looking at doesn't have 4WS how hard is that to retrofit and how much does the assembly cost?

Pretty sure there are significant chassis differences and retrofitting is all but impossible.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

rscott posted:

If you don't already have it, I'd honestly hold out for one that has 4WS already. From what I understand, retrofitting isn't all that difficult, just time consuming. I have never done it myself, but everything I've read about it says that all of the parts bolt right up. You don't have to do any cutting / drilling, as the mounts you will need will already be in place. It's a fairly extensive job though, involving quite a few parts. I briefly looked into it, but just don't have the space / time to undertake the project. Eventually I'd like to pick up a nice 4WS 5-speed and turbo it, but I won't be able to do that for quite a while if at all.

As far as cost goes, that all depends on your luck / location. I've seen entire 4WS parts cars being offered up for free (with all 4WS stuff intact) on more than one occasion. Aside from those types of isolated incidents, prices can vary quite a bit for the whole setup. I would guess anywhere from $150 - $400 if you were to buy it from someone online.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Not craigslist, but still gold:

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classifieds/Automotive/CarsandTrucks/Ford/803343

H0TSauce
Mar 12, 2002

Anybody want a 1987 Rolls Royce? Apparently he's got better things to do than to pull the cover back to actually show the car. But trust him, it's really a Rolls, there, between the tarp and the dolly. Really.

And despite putting it up on Craigslist, he may be willing to hear your offer. :jerkbag:

http://hamilton.en.craigslist.ca/cto/2863228466.html

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

SlimManFat posted:

Post screenshots when you post ads. That is one of the worst ads I have seen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm seriously considering emailing him and asking him to translate that into english.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hashal posted:

I need to stop reading this thread. Now you guys have me looking at 3rd gen Preludes on craigslist...

God dammit :argh:

I'm really tempted to go check this out.

Hey Black88GTA, what's the aftermarket like for these?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 22, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2862409066.html

On the other end of the spectrum from people who give almost no information...maybe there's TOO much information here?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

SlimManFat posted:

HE EDITED IN MORE INFORMATION! :bang:

"mod list by demand
mods are stage 1 heads ported by cosworth sct programer obx 4 in to 1 header full race cat back by magenflow cluchmasters stage 2 cluch sadea short shifter rims tim 7 inch tuch skreen dvd cd played 12 inch sub automeater pro min shift lights new 3000 km 2.4 l block and svt fule rail and 45 pound injeckters
"

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

SlimManFat posted:

HE EDITED IN MORE INFORMATION! :bang:

mods are
stage 1 heads ported by cosworth
sct programer
obx 4 in to 1 header
3000 km 2.4 l block and svt fule rail and 45 pound injeckters[/I]"

Sooooo...no where near 378 horsepower.

...more like 200 horsepower.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Is he going out of his way to spell nearly everything incorrectly?

Like some kind of new version of 7337 Speak?

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I love teat speak

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Micromancer posted:

i luv tet speec

Fixed

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

rscott posted:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2862409066.html

On the other end of the spectrum from people who give almost no information...maybe there's TOO much information here?

I'm the same way when I sell a car. I don't like to play games so I tell you everything I know is wrong with the car up front and make a firm price. I really don't like haggling. Found a huge problem? The price is still $3000. Found a super rare option that makes this car worth $7000? The price is still $3000. Here is the car and everything that is wrong with it. Here is my price. Either buy it or gently caress off.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Lord Gaga posted:

Post screenshots when you post ads. That is one of the worst ads I have seen.

Trolling via Google Voice texting is fun. Actually I don't even know if you can call it trolling, I only asking if it was still available and he went off on me, haha.

Me: is the car still available? 2:00 AM
+17095897427: Not for your joke broke rear end fagt lissen I know it one of the boys msging me when I fine out with one I will walk up to u and knock u the gently caress out I am si 8:28 AM
+17095897427: ck off ya bill poo poo get a life grow up gently caress face 8:28 AM
+17095897427: B ut if u ant yes the car is available. I am haven troble with people msg me for nothing 8:46 AM

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

opengl128 posted:

Trolling via Google Voice texting is fun. Actually I don't even know if you can call it trolling, I only asking if it was still available and he went off on me, haha.

Me: is the car still available? 2:00 AM
+17095897427: Not for your joke broke rear end fagt lissen I know it one of the boys msging me when I fine out with one I will walk up to u and knock u the gently caress out I am si 8:28 AM
+17095897427: ck off ya bill poo poo get a life grow up gently caress face 8:28 AM
+17095897427: B ut if u ant yes the car is available. I am haven troble with people msg me for nothing 8:46 AM

Haha.

gently caress YOU HELL NAH IT AINT AVAILABLE YOU FAGIT IMA COME FUK YOU UP B*TCH AZZ!!
But yes the car is available.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

leica posted:

Hey Black88GTA, what's the aftermarket like for these?

Not good, actually, especially when compared to other Hondas. These came and went before building up Hondas was a thing, so there never was a whole lot available in the first place. Plus these are old, cheap, and not all that common anymore, which killed the aftermarket even further since parts got discontinued as the numbers dwindled and the market dried up. Silver lining to this is that ricers / thieves ignore them (pretty much nothing interchanges with other Hondas), so you can pick one up and insure it cheaper than say a mid '90s Civic.

Aside from the obvious somewhat universal cosmetic mods (rimzz, etc) you can still pick up a decent suspension kit, underdrive crank pulleys are out there (I have one) and there's a few people on forums who custom make some small parts. As I kind of alluded to before, there are quite a few people out there who have put together JY turbo kits, which will be the best thing you can do for it performance-wise assuming you get a 5 speed. The automatics in these are very advanced for the time (electronically controlled :monocle: ) but fragile. I haven't looked into it extensively, but I'm sure there are plans / part lists for putting together a turbo setup out there somewhere.

That one you posted looks nice - I'd wonder a bit about why it's wearing what looks to be stock 90 - 91 sawblades on the front and some kind of aftermarket wheels in the rear though. Anything you do look at, you may want to check out the rear sway bar endlinks. The OEM ones are like twigs, and like to break. Cheap easy fix, and (at one point at least) there was a guy on the forum making adjustable ones that are much more sturdy than OEM and not terribly expensive. I have a set of custom made endlinks on mine in fact.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/2799738842.html
Real gold maybe?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Well, this is a thing.

Some Tool posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mob/2866062755.html
need to sell my baby.
fully modified mazda rx-7 with mustang cobra front end. Built this car for uniting import and domestic drivers. this goes to ground the beef between the two. this project was funded by my cougar mama. =)
she wants me to get of this car because its too loud. wth?! RIGHT. ohwell she said shes gonna buy me a 67 chevy impala. going back to the lowrider scene. Anyways car is extremely fast has fully built 4.6 liter v8 dyno @390 to the wheel
fully adjustable stance grplus coilovers. no low ballers

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity: Uniting Import and Domestic Drivers

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 23, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MetaJew posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity: Uniting Import and Domestic Drivers

No matter what your allegiance is, you'll want to storm his lawn with a pitchfork.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Well, this is a thing.

390 to the wheels! *has stock 95 Mark VIII motor*

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Lord Gaga posted:

390 to the wheels! *has stock 95 Mark VIII motor*

:raise: 390 would be dead on if the motor came out of the same Mustang he got the front clip from.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
No itd be about 60HP higher than reality if it is stock through a T56/8.8. Also no guarantee that it has a Terminator motor since it doesnt specify what 4.6L V8 it has.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
A friend told me that my favorite local S13 is for sale. I have seen this car in person and god drat will whoever goes to see this be disappointed. This car in person looks like the embodiment of kreayshawn's rap talent and class.

quote:

240sx s13 truck for sale/trade drift car/daily - $1 (Melbourne)
Date: 2012-02-21, 8:48PM EST
Reply to: kh8cm-2864026640@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Im mainly looking for trades,but if i get the right offer ill consider selling.
Only rear wheel drive.Mainly 240sx ,ae86 ,but open to anything else thats awesome.
And must be manual.

The car runs great, its very reliable. Iv been driving it for about a year and a half now and has never let me down.
Tranny shifts perfect,and the clutch is great. It does smoke a little when taking off and reversing because of the valve stem seals.But its not a big deal.
Has brand new pads and rotors. Just replaced like a month ago.
Working power steering,power windows,a/c and heat.
Raido works.
The brake lights are shorting out somewhere making the tail lights and gauge cluster not lighting up. But when you brake they work fine.
It will come with the black se wheels. NOT THE WHITE ONES IN THE PICTURES.THEY ARE SOLD.

Mods:
Brand new Emusa coilovers.
Two cam lock harnesses.
Harness bar.
Roll bar.
Woodgrain steering wheel with Jaguar horn button
50/50 hatch tail lights, Super gorgeous and only a month old.
Drift button
Truck conversion
Welded diff
Carbon fiber hood
Full aggressive body kit
Homemade blaster pipe exhaust
Test pipe
Rear strut bar
Injen intake
Volts gauge
LED lights under dash on a switch (fast and furious style ;)

It has random dents but no major body damage.
There arnt any rust holes anywhere or anything.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

How rare are these really?

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2863401644.html

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fairly rare; the only one I've ever seen was in a salvage yard. In 1985. And it had dual headlamps.

Hope he has all the parts. One hell of a grail search otherwise.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Pat Clancey six wheel offy powered Indy car. Built by AJ WATSON.

quote:

Pat Clancey six wheel Indy car reproduction by AJ Watson. Offy powered. Come Priced very reasonably a $75,000 Call Fred (585) 733-2190 or Tom (315)420-2176 Car located in Indy area.
youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQh31N5DAfM

The HAMB is uncontrollably awesome sometimes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
possible gold:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/f-cars-...xQQdistanceZ107

Yeah it's probably beat to poo poo and rusty, but 5k would be pretty fun to drive one around until the S38 explodes then part it out.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nothing like this ever, ever shows up in Ohio. We get all the early year AW11 busted up ones. I want a 87-89 so very badly :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2869033787.html

el what?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
El Duramaxo? :v:

Seriously, that looks pretty nice for $1000. The cheapest one here is $1800 and its picture actually shows it stuck in a forest.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 24, 2012

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/2835204571.html

Don't need to actually see it, but read the description.

quote:

Description: 1979 CHEVROLET 280ZX 2 DOOR

This is a beautiful SILVER 1979 CHEVROLET 280ZX 2 DOOR car with 107352 miles. Please call CYRUS AUTO SALES for more information call Dan at (858) 277-1028 or Steve at (858) 633-8281.

I'd probably look at it if it was a manuel, despite the description...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

rscott posted:

el what?

$1000 isn't bad if it has good pant.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Craigslist Saved Me a Trip

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I have no place to put this thing right now, someone go look at it and buy it so I can buy it from you in a few months.

1985 V8 LT1 VOLVO 740 WGN - $3500 (Lexington)

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
This person wants $8500 for a turbo Lumina

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Picture timestamp: March 5, 2008. I'd love to see what condition it's in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

quote:

I have for sale a 1952 Chevrolet truck. In a previous life it was a log truck, now it more resembles the bat mobile. The pictures do most of the speaking. It has a 1972 Caddilac 500 with a turbo 400 tranny, an early 80's model 9 inch ford, custom frame, suspension, steering, everything. It is tagged, titled, insured and road legal. It hasn't been driven in about a year. The motor was tuned up and dropped in, it has a new starter, rebuilt quadrajet, and new clutches in the transmission, also new 235 75 15 all weather tires. It needs a new battery and alternator. The alternator shorted to ground and ruined the battery over the winter. It runs and drives just fine or the 500 would make a good transplant for a chevy truck. Any reasonable offer considered. Reply to the email or call or text ----------

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/2871165358.html

I would drive the poo poo out of this and grin like a fool every inch of the way.