Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there a term for a product being priced un proportionally higher in smaller quantities and lowering as the total quantity increases (opposed to things like fruit sold for a fixed price for any quantity)?

For example: If the liquor store buys 24 beers for $10, as one sale it nets $5 profit, 4 sales of 6packs $10 and as singles $30.

In retail its usually called something like 'liquor swellage' but is there a broader term for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

I'd give my current salary honestly, since that's easy for them to verify

In what way?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Whenever I've been asked for a salary request, I've always written "market rate" or ignored the question entirely. The reason they ask is so they can see if they can lowball you.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Isaac posted:

Is there a term for a product being priced un proportionally higher in smaller quantities and lowering as the total quantity increases (opposed to things like fruit sold for a fixed price for any quantity)?

For example: If the liquor store buys 24 beers for $10, as one sale it nets $5 profit, 4 sales of 6packs $10 and as singles $30.

In retail its usually called something like 'liquor swellage' but is there a broader term for it?

The more-for-cheaper price is often called the "bulk rate," if that's the term you're looking for. This comes into play especially in manufacturing; it's not uncommon for the per-unit price of, say, electronic components to drop by 50% when you step from the 1-10 tier to the 500+ tier.

Thanks for the interview advice. I think I'll just fail to fill that section out, at least until they push harder. Honestly, I thought the going rate was somewhere in the range of 65k. I was shocked to see a number so high on Glassdoor, and halfway don't believe it.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Is it safe to use a european micro-USB charger with my American phone?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Econosaurus posted:

Is it safe to use a european micro-USB charger with my American phone?

Yes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Not sure what realm this falls into but:
My friend was in an accident over the weekend. She was hit by someone running a stop sign, the other person then proceeded to lose control and hit a tree. Both the driver and passenger of the other car jumped out and fled before she could get any info. Apparently the cop that handled it was less than helpful.

Finally getting in touch with State Farm who insures the other car, it was claimed to be stolen. I, being super suspicious of such a situation, want to think the owner was in the car, was drunk, rammed her, jetted out of there and got home and reported his car stolen.

First, is this entirely possible?
Second, what can she do to not let them get away with this if it is true?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

couldcareless posted:

First, is this entirely possible?
Second, what can she do to not let them get away with this if it is true?

Sure, but it could also be genuinely stolen yes?

Prove it. Spending a large number of hours on this, you might be able to find a witness or a video camera showing the owners fleeing from the scene.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If you want to get all Veronica Mars on this, you could first see if the owner has an alibi. Check the car for wrappers or receipts. Many gas stations have video cameras, maybe they caught something. Get the guy's name and check with bars in the area to see if he had any tabs paid with a credit card. Most people close tabs when they're leaving the bar, most receipts have a time when they are ran, so it should kind of match the timeline a bit.

Kind of weird for the police to be disregarding a hit and run like that. Did they get prints off the wheel or anything? If only the owner's prints are on the wheel that'd be enough proof right there.

edit: seatbelts leave pretty decent marks on the neck for a while if you crash at a high enough speed, so check that too I guess. Also wouldn't hurt to see if you can get a time from the PD when the car was reported stolen. Is this guy connected to the police in any way and would they be covering for him?

I did finish a Veronica Mars marathon not too long ago, doing some of this stuff will be pretty tricky if you're not a hot young woman.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 23, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
What is :sicknasty: a reference to? I mean I played ME2 and I don't remember anything about a sniper that had anything to do with the words "sick" or "nasty."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stubblyhead posted:

In what way?
By calling your previous employer and verifying start and end date, position(s) held, and ending salary. That plus "eligible for rehire" status is pretty much all employers will share.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Knightmare posted:

helpful stuff

I believe she is still waiting on the police report, and as far as she knows, only the insurance agency had informed her the car was stolen, not the police. I thought it was pretty sad too that there was very little effort on the part of the officer to do anything. I considered the finger prints too. I'm gonna wait and see how the police report she receives turns out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

OneEightHundred posted:

What is :sicknasty: a reference to? I mean I played ME2 and I don't remember anything about a sniper that had anything to do with the words "sick" or "nasty."

I don't know about the sick/nasty part, but the sniper thing is a reference to the old "page 2 snypa" smilie.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

By calling your previous employer and verifying start and end date, position(s) held, and ending salary. That plus "eligible for rehire" status is pretty much all employers will share.

Confirmation of employment is pretty much all any company is going to give out for fear of getting sued. I really can't imagine any HR department giving out salary information for current or former employees. If I'm asked for a salary history, I'll just say what my expectations are. If they press the matter, I pad my actual salary by a healthy margin.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

OneEightHundred posted:

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elijya posted:

New Jersey has a lot of sections to it, some are very nice, but the stereotype comes from a lot of things. The major population centers are Camden (subburb of Philadelphia with an extremely high homocide rate), Trenton (a lot of unemployment and fallen industry) Atlantic City (gambling and a history of organized crime) and the various suburbs of New York City (where many who can't afford to live in the city itself are). This map tells you a lot of the stereotypes

While this map is oddly accurate in the portrayal of where people live - whatup Jews/Indians - in New Jersey, your perspective is a bit skewed. Most simply people live between New York and Philadelphia near the NJTP and south of New York near the GSP. Newark, Trenton, and Camden are pretty awful places as far as urban blight and crime. Newark is known for it's exceptional gang-related homicide rate and Camden for it's thriving heroin business. You call them population centers but they really haven't been since white flight after WWII.

That being said; New Jersey is a rich state per capita which is populated mostly by suburban areas dense and semi-rural. People live outside of New York and Philadelphia because they want a house/family not because they don't make enough money. You should look at the land values in suburban New Jersey. The rest of the state is either flat going southeast toward Atlantic City or mountainous heading northwest toward New York and PA.

Finally, the people on Jersey Shore inhabit such a small demographic of what makes up New Jersey that it's laughably absurd that people assume that's what our entire state is like.

Zenostein posted:

1. Bits of North Jersey are still contaminated from the chrome business ages ago.
2. North Jersey has a particular odor to it, much like Staten Island. New Yorkers aren't going to be exposed to this unless they're heading to the [South] Shore, or Six Flags or something.
3. The general idea of :laffo: In New Jersey, they are too dumb to pump their own gas/make left turns
4. Aforementioned massive crime in cities, particularly in North Jersey (Don't stop at lights in Trenton at night, which I have literally been told)
5. As a testament to how old this is: My grandfather either grew up in, or summered in Jersey around the turn of the century. He'd still go about saying "New Joisey." Part of it is that sort of good-natured ribbing about nearby states.
6. The idea that Jersey drivers are terrible. As an aside, gently caress the Garden State Parkway, it is miserable. And the Palisades Parkway is horrid and full of holes.

1. Yes, we have the most superfund sites nationally.
2. This is nuts. There's a tiny portion along the turnpike and north east corridor where they are factories/plants. I have no idea where this conception comes from.
3. Not pumping your own gas is awesome. Jughandles make traffic move faster but besides that northern New Jersey doesn't even have that many of them.
4. This is the most racist/classist bullshit I've ever heard. Yes, cities tend to have bad neighborhoods.
5. Nobody talks like that here. That's actually a Staten Island/Long Island affect.
6. Drivers everywhere are terrible. But yeah the GSP sucks and I never drive on it with their bullshit toll scheme.

KillerBean fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 23, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KillerBean posted:

Finally, the people on Jersey Shore inhabit such a small demographic of what makes up New Jersey that it's laughably absurd that people assume that's what our entire state is like.

Actually the people on Jersey Shore inhabit New York when they're not down there for the show!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I started taking a prescription medication a few months ago, and one of the side effects is dry mouth. I've been drinking more water to relieve that, but it doesn't help a whole lot, and mostly just results in me having to pee all the time. Does that biotene poo poo I've seen commercials for work?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Tom Sarvini's FX school: Worth it or waste of money? I've been wanting to go back to school, and FX/monster make up seems like an awesome(If stressful and busy) job. Thing is, I'm in L.A and Tom Sarvini's school is in Pittsburgh. Anyone know anything about it? Or perhaps what to look for in a FX school?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Does anyone know what kind/the name of this type of artwork? I really enjoy the aesthetics of the colors but I wouldn't know what to Google for if I wanted to look up similar designs/how-to's/etc

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

stubblyhead posted:

I started taking a prescription medication a few months ago, and one of the side effects is dry mouth. I've been drinking more water to relieve that, but it doesn't help a whole lot, and mostly just results in me having to pee all the time. Does that biotene poo poo I've seen commercials for work?

I'm not on any medication, so I can't speak for how well it would work there. But Biotene has always worked well for me when I get dry mouth that won't go away with water. I've only used the toothpaste, so I don't know much about their other products though.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Anyone know any good voice modulator thingies that can be used for a presentation? I'm looking for something that masks the voice, essentially rendering it unrecognizable but still understandable.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Tom Sarvini's FX school: Worth it or waste of money? I've been wanting to go back to school, and FX/monster make up seems like an awesome(If stressful and busy) job. Thing is, I'm in L.A and Tom Sarvini's school is in Pittsburgh. Anyone know anything about it? Or perhaps what to look for in a FX school?

I'd be surprised if you got an answer in this thread, but I imagine there may be some A/T or CD thread about make-up or special effects where more knowledgeable people can give you an opinion.

Browsed through 6 pages of CD thread titles. Here's one for general Film Business
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365675

And one for costuming
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410140

I figure posters in there can help you more, or at least point you in the right direction.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 24, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Elijya posted:

I'd be surprised if you got an answer in this thread, but I imagine there may be some A/T or CD thread about make-up or special effects where more knowledgeable people can give you an opinion.

Browsed through 6 pages of CD thread titles. Here's one for general Film Business
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365675

And one for costuming
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410140

I figure posters in there can help you more, or at least point you in the right direction.

Hey thanks! I couldn't find anything so I thought i'd give this thread a shot. I appreciate it. :)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
I'm going crazy trying to find out the name of a stand up comedian I saw once on Comedy Central at like 4:00 am.

He was on some sort of like "Hip New Comedians" show where they had a bunch of different comedians on that were all kind of hanging out in a bar and talking about each other intercut with clips of them performing.

The guy seemed to be generally drunk the entire time and I think a few of the other comedians were jokingly insisting he had an actual drinking problem.

He has a pretty bitching beard and wears a lot of flannel.

It's not Brendon Walsh or that guy that talks about his Scottish dad's giant cock all the time.

HELP

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere at some point before, so apologies if this is repeated, but the internet is failing me.

My American friends are asking me how we tip strippers in Canada, but I honestly don't know.

The internet is giving me a lot of joke answers. Some of the more plausible ones seem to be a tip jar or using some sort of funbux, but I can't find any actual proof.

Anyone know for sure?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere at some point before, so apologies if this is repeated, but the internet is failing me.

My American friends are asking me how we tip strippers in Canada, but I honestly don't know.

The internet is giving me a lot of joke answers. Some of the more plausible ones seem to be a tip jar or using some sort of funbux, but I can't find any actual proof.

Anyone know for sure?

You should go to a strip club and find out. Observe and report.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Does anyone know what kind/the name of this type of artwork? I really enjoy the aesthetics of the colors but I wouldn't know what to Google for if I wanted to look up similar designs/how-to's/etc

It's all art that contains similar visual elements, and it's all been done digitally, but the only "type" that artwork has is "desktop wallpaper." Tineye each one to see if you can find the original artists' pages.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Asiina posted:

Anyone know for sure?

This would seem to be the best link with the most reliable personal experiences. The short answer is you guys really do throw coins at strippers.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

This is all artwork done for the band Tycho, and the best name I can come up with is digital art. The artist is Scott Hansen.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 24, 2012

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Does anyone know of any good cyberpunk games, ideally released this side of 2002?
Or any games which involve stages/scenes set in mental hospitals?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

Anyone know for sure?

It was probably a joke about Canadian Tire money.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Synonymous posted:

Does anyone know of any good cyberpunk games, ideally released this side of 2002?
Or any games which involve stages/scenes set in mental hospitals?
Deus Ex Human Revolution is your best bet for a very modern cyberpunk game, although the conspiracy elements are sometimes more prominent.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Psalmanazar posted:

Deus Ex Human Revolution is your best bet for a very modern cyberpunk game, although the conspiracy elements are sometimes more prominent.

And it's the weekend deal on Steam - 66% off! I've been putting it off for months...

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Psalmanazar posted:

I was hoping for something a little darker, but I guess I'll push myself to finish it- I'm barely through it. Thanks :):

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A co-worker just came in with a business card and asked me to scan (with my flatbed scanner) the qr code and send him a picture of it, I assume so we can print it on a T-shirt for them.
I said it would be better if I just generated a new one and sent him that, as I could easily make it vector-based or simply larger and sharper.

When I generate a code here: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ it looks entirely different than theirs but when I scan them both with my phone they go to the very same place. I haven't overlaid them but I would say that less than half the black bits fall in the same place.

How or why are they the same?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

More or less error correction data included.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Synonymous posted:

I was hoping for something a little darker, but I guess I'll push myself to finish it- I'm barely through it. Thanks :):

Binary domain just came out, and it's actually supposed to be pretty good (and blade runner-ish)

Really stupid question that I stole from a political cartoon of all places, but if I put a proposal on kickstarter for something like "I'll make a film of myself getting kicked in the balls for 1,000/5000 dollars" would it get any traction?

TheKillerAngel
Feb 17, 2012
Do any of you know if there is a dating/relationships thread on A/T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

TheKillerAngel posted:

Do any of you know if there is a dating/relationships thread on A/T?

There are dozens in E/N http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

Dunno if you specifically wanted an A/T thread.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 24, 2012