Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At that price i would just hire someone to follow me around carrying my mbp with 8gb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Good points I suppose. I wonder what Samsung is doing to add 8...probably a little fatter machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pipebomb posted:

Good points I suppose. I wonder what Samsung is doing to add 8...probably a little fatter machine.

It'd be nice to see a shot of the motherboard and how it compares to the Air

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone using 8GB in a macbook5.1? I have a user running ArcGIS in a VM and that poo poo is *slow*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evil_bunnY posted:

Anyone using 8GB in a macbook5.1? I have a user running ArcGIS in a VM and that poo poo is *slow*

It supports it... That's the last one before the unibody right?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

pipebomb posted:

I'm guessing they're using a smaller battery.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I've got my Crucial M4 in here and upgraded to 6GB of RAM, and this early 08 MBP really does feel like a new computer. The RAM itself I didn't notice any big difference doing normal stuff - no reason I should - but as much as everyone testifies to an SSD being a gamechanger, there's just nothing like seeing the results yourself. Everything is just nicer to use. A fresh Lion install doesn't hurt either.

Also if anyone has any qualms about opening up one of these pre-unibody MacBook Pros, I was a little hesistant, since my only experience opening up computers has been lower quality, nothing at stake wintel machines: it was super easy. iFixit has great guides to follow, though you barely need them.

Now to get in touch with Amazon/USPS and find out where in the ether the optibay I ordered went.

e: Speak of the devil, there's the little sucker!

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 23, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also I continue to hate Genius Bar appointments. I dropped of my 27" iMac for the grey smudge issue and the guy checked it in for a glass cleaning and possible replacement. Unfortunately I can't tell him "it's not the glass, it's the LCD assembly. I checked myself." because removing the glass is a no-no. So now I wait for 1-3 days for them to do a repair that won't fix it, at which point I'll go back in, tell them to do it right, and wait another few days.
Picked up my iMac without having to make an ordeal out of it. They swapped the glass and the display on their own when they realized that the glass wouldn't fix it. It's as good as new.

Now to gut it again and put my SSD back. :v:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 23, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Picked up my iMac without having to make an ordeal out of it. They swapped the glass and the display on their own when they realized that the glass wouldn't fix it. It's as good as new.

Now to gut it again and put my SSD back. :v:

Do you dual-drive your iMac or simply just have the SSD in there?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

Do you dual-drive your iMac or simply just have the SSD in there?
Just the SSD. Bulk storage is what a NAS/DAS is for.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Right on, optibay installed, both drives seem to be working. Just want to check - I'm right in thinking I should keep the hdd in the original spot because that way it gets use of the sudden motion sensor and stuff, right? Makes more sense to have the ssd in the optibay where it's not as snug?

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
That will probably work best.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Since someone asked in a PM what I was using for NAS/DAS stuff, here's what I currently own. Their roles are currently being shuffled around as I figure out what each is best suited for.

WD My Book Studio II (2x 3TB)

Connected to my 27" iMac via FW800 and stores all of my media. My iMac is always on and acts as my media server, sharing the contents of this disk and being my download box.

WD My Book World Edition II (2x 3TB)

I just started playing around with this guy this week. It's a Linux box that allows you to do transmission/rtorrent, among the sharing capabilities you'd expect from a NAS. If I can get all of its features working the way I want, I shouldn't have to leave the iMac on 24/7 anymore.

WD Essentials Desktop (2TB)

Plugged into my AEBS for Time Machine backups of my iMac and MacBook Air.

I also have a grip of 2.5" external hard drives that I use for whatever temporary task at hand.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 24, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
How is opening the iMac and installing an SSD? I've seen the write-ups on how to do it, and it seems like it would take a long time, and be really easy to gently caress up, destroying some essential cable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

How is opening the iMac and installing an SSD? I've seen the write-ups on how to do it, and it seems like it would take a long time, and be really easy to gently caress up, destroying some essential cable.
I printed out iFixit's guide, and it's actually pretty easy; maybe a 15 minute job. It can be a bit unwieldy the first time, but I get better every time I take it apart as I figure out the ideal locations to maneuver my hands. It basically breaks down to:
  • Use suction cup to remove the glass. Don't put the suction cup in the middle of the glass, but rather near the top as you'll want to pull on the top as you lift out the bottom.
  • Remove the 8 Torx screws holding the screen.
  • Don't lay it down to remove the screen (as iFixit recommends). Simply tip the iMac toward you a bit while holding the screen to get it to come out, paying close attention to disconnect the sync cable, temp sensor, power, and video connectors.
After that you're pretty much done with the tricky stuff. iFixit's guides help tremendously to show you which cables to look out for. Swapping the drive itself is trivial, and once that's done you just reverse the process to close the iMac back up.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Just be aware that you're hosed if you break something like the connectors to the LCD panel back to the MLB.

A lot of repair shops will do it for you for :10bux:

edit: Not so sound like I'm on some high horse about it, just be aware of the risks.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Since someone asked in a PM what I was using for NAS/DAS stuff, here's what I currently own.

Plugged into my AEBS for Time Machine backups of my iMac and MacBook Air.

I also have a grip of 2.5" external hard drives that I use for whatever temporary task at hand.

What size SSD did you put in the iMac... Do You have a windows partition and find you have enough space for everything but media?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

What size SSD did you put in the iMac... Do You have a windows partition and find you have enough space for everything but media?
256GB Apple OEM (Toshiba) SSD from eBay. It was a new pull from a MBP so I had to provide my own 3.5" adapter but otherwise it's perfect. Toshiba isn't the fastest SSD, but compared to my Intel drives I don't really notice a difference so synthetic benchmarks be damned.

No Boot Camp because I have a mini-ITX gaming PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 plugged into the iMac for gaming purposes. Also my Aperture and iTunes libraries currently reside on the SSD and they're rather large.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

256GB Apple OEM (Toshiba) SSD from eBay. It was a new pull from a MBP so I had to provide my own 3.5" adapter but otherwise it's perfect. Toshiba isn't the fastest SSD, but compared to my Intel drives I don't really notice a difference so synthetic benchmarks be damned.

No Boot Camp because I have a mini-ITX gaming PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 plugged into the iMac for gaming purposes. Also my Aperture and iTunes libraries currently reside on the SSD and they're rather large.

Yeah 256GB sounds the most optimal, and I'm planning on getting an iMac for home next refresh. However a 128GB drive is all I can afford if 256GB drives stay in the $500 range via Apple. I also must have a windows on that SSD for working at home occasionally. Seems with both OS X and Windows on a 128 SSD it may be limited to the actual things that I can include other than the OSes.

I'll have to weigh my options of storage vs. cost. NAS or DAS sounds like also a viable option

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to networked storage, what sort of speeds am I looking at when hosting my media over this as opposed to say, a second hard drive on a desktop or so?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

illcendiary posted:

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to networked storage, what sort of speeds am I looking at when hosting my media over this as opposed to say, a second hard drive on a desktop or so?

You are limited to the network, or cable that you are attached to. Wireless N is theoretical 300 Mbps, but you'll probably get 200ish, and that's about 25 MBps.

If wireless, you'd be transferring at around 50 seconds per GB.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 24, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
It'd almost certainly be wired, so that sounds pretty good. I think I might look into this.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The newest versions of Airport Extremes can do the gigabit wired connections. Which can give you that 100 MBps. I'm not sure if older versions of the AEBS have the gigabit wired connections.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeast posted:

Just be aware that you're hosed if you break something like the connectors to the LCD panel back to the MLB.

A lot of repair shops will do it for you for :10bux:

edit: Not so sound like I'm on some high horse about it, just be aware of the risks.

Chiming in, anecdotal evidence, been seeing a lot of people who think tiny two wire / three wire cables don't mean that much to the health of an iMac, or don't know how to reseat LVDS cables.

If you have a camera that takes macro shots or good zoom, try taking pics of connectors before you pull them so you know what it should look like when you reconnect them.

Edit: might help to have a friend hold up the logic board while you're doing this.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 24, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

The newest versions of Airport Extremes can do the gigabit wired connections. Which can give you that 100 MBps. I'm not sure if older versions of the AEBS have the gigabit wired connections.

All AEBSes that are Extreme-N capable have gigabit Ethernet.

All Time Capsules (all generations) have gigabit Ethernet.

VVV ignore quoted statement :smith:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 24, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

All AEBSes since the second generation have gigabit Ethernet, sucks if you have a first gen.

All Time Capsules (all generations) have gigabit Ethernet.
But none have support for jumbo frames, if I remember correctly. For 99% of home users that won't mean a drat thing, but it's worth noting.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FWIW, the only two currently sold Macs that Apple documents as supporting jumbo frames on its built-in Ethernet ports are the Mini and Mac Pro.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

If you're in there already, it's trivial to move the current HDD into the Optibay you'll have fitted and put the SSD into the primary HDD slot.

That is a terrible idea. The primary HDD slot is designed to withstand shocks and drops, the optibay isn't. To answer the original posters question, yes the SSD in the optibay can be the boot drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

FWIW, the only two currently sold Macs that Apple documents as supporting jumbo frames on its built-in Ethernet ports are the Mini and Mac Pro.

What's the real story behind jumbo frames and gigabit performance? If you have jumbo frames enabled, can you talk to devices that don't?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

For Time Machine backups is there any advantage to getting an AEBS+NAS vs. a Time Capsule?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ZShakespeare posted:

For Time Machine backups is there any advantage to getting an AEBS+NAS vs. a Time Capsule?

Replacing a time capsule disk is a pain. But you can't really use a NAS you need to use a USB external drive. I tried a WD NAS that claimed to be Time Machine compatible and it didn't work very well via WiFi (fully patched for Lion too).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Time Capsule has way faster disk access because of its SATA interface to the backup drive.

But I don't really care how fast my backups go. Restoring is when people are usually impatient, and you could just detach the USB drive from the AEBS and plug directly into the target machine for that.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 24, 2012

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I got a used, like-new Macbook Air from Amazon Warehouse Deals a couple weeks ago because it ended up being about $90 cheaper than the Apple Store after taxes, etc. It ended up having a sticker on the computer itself saying it was a refurb, which I'm guessing means it wasn't refurbed by Apple. On top of that, there are only six months left on the warranty when I plug the serial number into the link in the OP, so I guess that is another sign it wasn't refurbed by Apple.

I love it so far, but I'm concerned because the battery capacity is already down to 93% after just 24 cycles (it had 7 on it when I got it.) Isn't it supposed to last 1000 cycles before it gets down to 80%? Should I return it and just go ahead and pay the extra $90 to get a refurb from Apple?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

pyrotek posted:

I got a used, like-new Macbook Air from Amazon Warehouse Deals a couple weeks ago because it ended up being about $90 cheaper than the Apple Store after taxes, etc. It ended up having a sticker on the computer itself saying it was a refurb, which I'm guessing means it wasn't refurbed by Apple. On top of that, there are only six months left on the warranty when I plug the serial number into the link in the OP, so I guess that is another sign it wasn't refurbed by Apple.

I love it so far, but I'm concerned because the battery capacity is already down to 93% after just 24 cycles (it had 7 on it when I got it.) Isn't it supposed to last 1000 cycles before it gets down to 80%? Should I return it and just go ahead and pay the extra $90 to get a refurb from Apple?

I'm at 99% after 57 cycles on my 2011 MBA-- If it was an apple refurb it would have a new battery in it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

I'm at 99% after 57 cycles on my 2011 MBA-- If it was an apple refurb it would have a new battery in it.

I guess it is going back, then. I forgot to mention in my other post it dropped from 97% to 93% after I charged it overnight, which can't be good.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Since someone asked in a PM what I was using for NAS/DAS stuff, here's what I currently own. Their roles are currently being shuffled around as I figure out what each is best suited for.
A low power linux or windows server can act as a NAS for shared media to OS X and with netatalk it can handle all your time machine backups. It's a tradeoff between deciding whether setting up the server and netatalk is more of a hassle or if having multiple external drives for file access and backup is more of a hassle. It's also a matter of whether the power savings from having a little server on 24/7 instead of the iMac makes up for the power loss of having the iMac on at the same time as it. Not that I mean to veer off from Mac Hardware, it's just that is the type of setup I have at home for backing up a MBP and a Windows desktop while running some other stuff like rtorrent, sabnzbd, and sharing files on the network.

I think this little guy can take up to 12tb of storage with its four drive bays.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Along those lines, I currently have time machine backing up to an Ubuntu server running in a VM on a second hard drive in my desktop. It works well until I get a dedicated device to do this.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Is there a nice how-to or even just a brief overview on setting up the whole Time Capsule thing? I'm planning to get an iMac once I see how the refresh is and I would like to set something like a TC up but I've got no clue about them really. Is it something I could set up using a USB External drive and my existing router (Linksys e3000) or would I need to spring for the actual Time Capsule to take care of it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

What's the real story behind jumbo frames and gigabit performance? If you have jumbo frames enabled, can you talk to devices that don't?

To benefit from jumbo frames, it's my understanding that everything on a gigabit network, including and most especially the router, has to support jumbo frames in its hardware and all clients should be set at the same MTU, depending on the router. I see that if you get a Mikrotik it'll cost you at least $80 to get a router capable of handling an MTU of 4K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dbeatles34
Jan 7, 2004
Dr. Sammy G
I just wanted to say I bit the bullet + bought a new 13-inch MBA and couldn't be happier. I may regret not waiting once there are processor improvements and perhaps retina display (I hope not) in the updated models come June/July, but right now I'm in (material) love. The build quality is phenomenal and OSX is such a joy to use. Turns out that 128 ssd + 4gb of ram is plenty for my uses. Anybody on the fence that needs a laptop now shouldn't hesitate, you won't be disappointed.

Just hope I don't have to pay $30+ for Mountain Lion!