Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

lamentable dustman posted:

I'm a huge nerd and couldn't wait a day and installed the TW Transformer ICS update. So nice and smooth.

How did you install it? I was under the impression that you had to have a Taiwanese TF in order to install it. Did you just install a TW Honeycomb stock ROM then upgrade to ICS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Followed this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1513750

cliffs: flash to TW firmware, get root again, reinstall recovery, flash ICS

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Followed this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1513750

cliffs: flash to TW firmware, get root again, reinstall recovery, flash ICS

The geek in me says do it, but the rational side of me says sleep on it and wake to a simple OTA :v:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

hotsauce posted:

The geek in me says do it, but the rational side of me says sleep on it and wake to a simple OTA :v:

Yea. I wouldn't of bothered but I was already rooted and didn't want to wait for the rom I use to update next week.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Might as well use my wii one final time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The TF101 ICS OTA update for USA is out and from what I'm reading on XDA, doesn't break root. :dance:

edit: well I appear to no longer have root so ignore that part

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 24, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The TF101 ICS OTA update for USA is out :dance:

Still nothing for Canada. gently caress.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The TF101 ICS OTA update for USA is out and from what I'm reading on XDA, doesn't break root. :dance:

You should be using OTA RootKeeper. As long as you are you shouldn't lose root.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Frozen-Solid posted:

You should be using OTA RootKeeper. As long as you are you shouldn't lose root.

I thought about that about a minute after I hit update. Hopefully nachoroot still works.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why does a keyboard for an Android device have an "Alt" key?

For the same reason Hacker's Keyboard is so popular? Ie Splashtop, terminal emulators, SSH stuff. Also, how do you generate characters like without an Alt key?

How do specialty characters work on Android in the first place, on the stock keyboard? There's a lot more Alt characters than the "Specials" page of the keyboard.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
My TF101 had a delicious Ice Cream Sandwich update this morning!

The interface is hardly different from Honeycomb, but its certainly a lot smoother. Keyboard lag in the web browser (such as when making quality SA posts) seems to be gone.

edit: after playing with ICS a little more, calling it hardly different seems unjust. There are a lot of appreciable tweaks and tune-ups that have been done to the UI. If you have a first gen Transformer, be excited. :)

Smeego fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 24, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How did you install it? I was under the impression that you had to have a Taiwanese TF in order to install it. Did you just install a TW Honeycomb stock ROM then upgrade to ICS?

Gah, why is my transformer not finding an update?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

Gah, why is my transformer not finding an update?

Do you have stock recovery and the most recent (.21) build of honeycomb?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Do you have stock recovery and the most recent (.21) build of honeycomb?

I thought I did, I don't have ROM manager installed. It is on a custom ROM though, so it may not pick it up.

Anyone have a link to manually download ICS?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought I did, I don't have ROM manager installed. It is on a custom ROM though, so it may not pick it up.

Anyone have a link to manually download ICS?

If you have CWM or Rogue installed you can flash one of these http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1514658

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hell yes :dance: It doesn't feel super-different but it looks nice and it's definitely a little snappier.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

For the same reason Hacker's Keyboard is so popular? Ie Splashtop, terminal emulators, SSH stuff. Also, how do you generate characters like é without an Alt key?

How do specialty characters work on Android in the first place, on the stock keyboard? There's a lot more Alt characters than the "Specials" page of the keyboard.
As a comparison, on iOS if you hold down a letter the accents will appear and you can choose which one. Try it in Android. Éëę

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh cool, thanks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

As a comparison, on iOS if you hold down a letter the accents will appear and you can choose which one. Try it in Android. Éëę

This works for me, sometimes accidentally.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Another ASUS MWC trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APceHmM6D84

My guess is an art focused tablet with a stylus.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wishlist: 10" screen, pressure-sensitive stylus, good wifi strength, working GPS, and a battery life of 15+ hours of average use. :ohdear:

And ICS. :argh:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vagrancy posted:

My guess is an art focused tablet with a stylus.

I think you're reading too much into it. Notice that it was all sloppy finger-painting.

I think it just means you'll have three color choices for the tablet. Three garish, garish color choices. With Apple having cornered the market on elegance, ASUS has decided to shoot for the Juggalo demographic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

If you have CWM or Rogue installed you can flash one of these http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1514658

Thanks for this link. Worked great upgrading from Prime. I wish I read the thread first as some people mentioned it working without wiping the data first, but I wanted a clean slate start anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm really liking my thinkpad tablet for what it's worth: the pen works great, heir android customizations are pretty good, the side buttons are really well done (you can't hit them accidentally). Plus it just has a solid feel to it that I like. It'll probably be obsolete relatively quickly but it's getting ics in may and was a total of 450 at the store I found it in for the 32g plus stylus (before tax). And when it comes to Citrix, being able to use the stylus is key since the Citrix desktop I remote into isn't optimized for touch so I need precise input at times.

That said its definitely a niche tablet: if you don't need a pen or don't do work on it I expect it's worse than other options.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Still nothing for Canada. gently caress.

Ugh, is Canada getting hosed for this (as usual)? I was looking forward to updating my TF101 when I got home later.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nukethewhales posted:

Have any companies even demonstrated GPU chipsets that can outperform what's in the iPad 2 (PowerVR SGX) yet? ASUS might end up undoing Google's attempt at smoothing the UI out in Ice Cream Sandwich if they're not careful.

Nah, 2d hardware acceleration (scrolling and stuff for example) is really pretty light on the GPU. If they hit problems, it would show up mostly with 3d games, presumably in the fragment shader area.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

kevdude posted:

Ugh, is Canada getting hosed for this (as usual)? I was looking forward to updating my TF101 when I got home later.

Nah, I finally got it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

feedmegin posted:

2d hardware acceleration (scrolling and stuff for example) is really pretty light on the GPU. If they hit problems, it would show up mostly with 3d games, presumably in the fragment shader area.
As I understand it the problem with the Tegra chips currently popular for Android tablets is limited memory bandwidth, which absolutely will hurt you when flinging huge textures around.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I'm going to buy a tablet in the week following the ipad3 announcement, one of the following:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16GB ($399 CAD)
Acer Iconia A500 16GB ($369 CAD)
Asus Transformer TF101 16GB ($329 CAD)

I'm in Canada, I'd prefer Android, I can get an iPad2 for $519 CAD currently. I'm assuming/hoping there will be a slight price drop for all of the above in the next month as per this entire thread, otherwise I'd just go out and buy one today.

It will be used for
-light word processing with paired bluetooth keyboard (or usb with Iconia)
-web browsing
-watching locally stored movies
-games/apps/unimportant garbage

I have a Galaxy Ace phone running Android 2.3/Gingerbread, which does everything I need totally fine, so I don't really care about the ICS contention.

Is the Transformer the preferred pick assuming the same relative price differences?
Has microSD, compass, and GPS which are nice
Proprietary cable pisses me off though. Don't understand why all these tablets don't have mini or micro USB for charging/data.

Iconia has a fullsize USB port though, which is pretty huge for being able to simply plug in thumb drives or a keyboard. Maybe that's the ticket. The word processing task is something I have zero experience with using a tablet, and is one of the main justifications (to be used for notes or writing up rough drafts of papers).

Any huge red flags about the Iconia or huge advantage for the Transformer I've somehow totally missed? All of the above tablets seem to be on pretty even footing other than the port differences.

Pweller fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 24, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pweller posted:

I'm going to buy a tablet in the week following the ipad3 announcement, one of the following:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16GB ($399 CAD)
Acer Iconia A500 16GB ($369 CAD)
Asus Transformer TF101 16GB ($329 CAD)

I'm in Canada, I'd prefer Android, I can get an iPad2 for $519 CAD currently. I'm assuming/hoping there will be a slight price drop for all of the above in the next month as per this entire thread, otherwise I'd just go out and buy one today.

It will be used for
-light word processing with paired bluetooth keyboard (or usb with Iconia)
-web browsing
-watching locally stored movies
-games/apps/unimportant garbage

I have a Galaxy Ace phone running Android 2.3/Gingerbread, which does everything I need totally fine, so I don't really care about the ICS contention.

Is the Transformer the preferred pick assuming the same relative price differences?
Has microSD, compass, and GPS which are nice
Proprietary cable pisses me off though. Don't understand why all these tablets don't have mini or micro USB for charging/data.

Iconia has a fullsize USB port though, which is pretty huge for being able to simply plug in thumb drives or a keyboard. Maybe that's the ticket. The word processing task is something I have zero experience with using a tablet, and is one of the main justifications (to be used for notes or writing up rough drafts of papers).

Any huge red flags about the Iconia or huge advantage for the Transformer I've somehow totally missed? All of the above tablets seem to be on pretty even footing other than the port differences.

Bear in mind that the Transformer has a keyboard dock with full-size USB available.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Pweller posted:

I don't think you can pull 15A though standard micro USB

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

nimper posted:

Bear in mind that the Transformer has a keyboard dock with full-size USB available.

True, but I don't really want to buy a proprietary keyboard that I can't use with other devices.

Also just noticed that apparently the Iconia won't charge with its USB ports, only a propriety cable. drat you too Acer.

ModestMuse posted:

I'm not sure I follow, since I can charge my phones through micro USB. Did you think I meant charge other devices off of the tablet?

Pweller fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 24, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pweller posted:

True, but I don't really want to buy a proprietary keyboard that I can't use with other devices.

Also just noticed that apparently the Iconia won't charge with its USB ports, only a propriety cable. drat you too Acer.

The dock is also an extended-range battery.

Pweller posted:

I'm not sure I follow, since I can charge phones through micro USB (I guess it would take forever to charge a tablet though?).

He means the Transformer pulls 15A 1.5a @ 12VDC of charge, whereas phones and other things that use microUSB do not.

nimper fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 24, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ModestMuse posted:

You dont need 15a to charge a tablet. An ipad uses 2.1a and 5v which microusb should also be able to handle.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ModestMuse posted:

It's volts, not amps. A tablet that could pull 15A at 5V would be pretty impressive.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
efb

ModestMuse posted:

I think you slipped a decimal there.

What's the proprietary plug? PDMI?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont understand why they all went with this 15v crap. Its completely unnecessary except for making you order ac adapters from them directly.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
They use proprietary cables to allow them to charge the tablet faster.

So they could do micro USB charging, but it would take forever fully charge the tablet.

Sorry for not stating my volts/amps/ohms/watts/joules/coulombs right.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

So they could do micro USB charging, but it would take forever fully charge the tablet.

Sorry for not stating my volts/amps/ohms/watts/joules/coulombs right.

The proprietary cable doesn't allow them to charge the tablet faster, they could have engineered it to do the same thing with microusb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ModestMuse posted:

That's a terrible reason. More watts = faster charging and you can get that by upping volts or amps. Yes, higher current can burn up a cable, but you can get a decent charge rate at 5v without going up that high.