Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Aaaaaaaargh!

So I DID go back to training today (turns out they were open, fortunately) and after class we FINALLY discussed pricing. They want me to sign up for a year with a $450 down payment (it's $130/mo. afterwards). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hello Mr. Savateur, and yeah sounds quite familiar, although I don't think you do have to worry about quick, hard swipes at your nips. :v:

And, it's not that I'm all focused on using weapons over my mitts (well, I kinda am...), but does your club (or, heck, even you, yourself) do anything with le canne? I hear that it's closely tied to savate and I've seen a single bout of it Youtube that looked quite... showy, involving a lot of spins, jumps, and clustered infighting (I think striking MA's would call them "combinations?").

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Our Savate Défense practitioners have stick and other weapon training camps. They don't jump around spinning very much, their approach is that of Défense de Rue, which is sort of a modernized version of something like the old 18th-19th century Defense dans la Rue, defense on the street, and hence they call their stick fighting Canne de Rue.

Savate Défense and Savate Boxe Française, usually just known as Savate today, were one and the same in the mean streets of 19th century Marseille, but in time BF evolved completely into a sport. The French Savate federation decided gently caress that poo poo lets not forget all the cool old stuff around -94 and decided to gather everything still known of the old Savate - and today what came of it is known as Savate Défense (which I started my Savate investigations with). The La Boxe de rue ADAC guys train in is very similar to Savate Défense, the founders of the methodology being old savateurs, security professionals and SD enthusiasts so it's difficult to... ahh gently caress it all it gets convoluted.

TLDR; yeah there's le canne maybe once a year for those who take self defense, so no spinning and leaping just basically baton techniques you need in security

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fencer guy: Most combat sports have a way to get an instant victory, and then a points system in case nobody wins, which is often. In BJJ one of you taps, one of you is unconscious, or the ref calls a technical knockout to stop a limb breaking. If neither side wins, they'll assign a point number to the positions you held, and give you points for pulling off certain types of position-altering techniques. So ideally you submit them, but if not the victory will go to whoever held more dominant positions for the match. Most combat sports are similar, I think that in Judo you either complete a perfect throw or make them tap, in boxing you knock them unconscious, etc.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

BirdOfPlay posted:

That, I can dig. For comps, it makes sense if you want to break through an opponents weak parry (only for sabre though...).
I fenced sabre for 7 years (ultimately top 5 in the British Cadet (U17) rankings for what it's worth) and just wanted to point out this isn't a thing. A hit scored through a parry means the parry was incorrectly positioned, not "weak". No amount of strength should get through a parry. As you say, hitting hard is just a symptom of poor (and invariably slower) technique.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Wait, is this a serious post? Why would you do that?

no. i am just bad at jumping rope

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taratang posted:

I fenced sabre for 7 years (ultimately top 5 in the British Cadet (U17) rankings for what it's worth) and just wanted to point out this isn't a thing. A hit scored through a parry means the parry was incorrectly positioned, not "weak". No amount of strength should get through a parry. As you say, hitting hard is just a symptom of poor (and invariably slower) technique.

I might argue that we're splitting hairs between called a parry incorrect, bad, or weak. But I do agree that that was just bad phrasing on my part, it also referred to something that just really isn't in my tactical handbook any more. Disengages and changes of line are a much better alternative to most any situation where one would try to do that.

Numbers: Ok, that makes a lot of sense.

Savateur: I see, understand, and can relate to the convulations. Do you have an international organization, fencing's is the Federation Internationale d'Escrime or FIE, randomly changing the basic rules of the sport? Next season, the tickle down of the bib target for foil from international comps should trickle down to locals, in the 2000's the timing changed in foil and sabre, the 90's they decided that youcan't cross your feet going forwards in sabre...

Also, this was the video I was referencing, doesn't it just make you want to go all Gaslight and carry a walking stick with you everywhere?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqh4IKSA64

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm finally getting to the point where new guys are joining the club and I can easily beat them into submission. Doesn't hurt that we've had about 10 new members join up in the last two weeks. It's giving me a chance to try out all the stuff I've learned, but have never been in a position to pull off or have too scared to try against experienced guys.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
FEELS GOOD MAN :toot:

Guyz I was out with the flu for more than a week. That sucked. Well, got sickleave from work and tried to take it as "rest" but still. Anyhow started training carefully a couple of days ago and went back to the Boxing School™ today. AWESOME! There's a bunch of decent size 6.0 - 6'3 guys some of who are even heavier than me there! (I'm 6'1 and about 210lbs right now.) We had a dozen rounds of sparring with changing pairs so I kept running around finding the next, even bigger and meaner looking dude to wave arms with and could have gone 10-20 more no problem. Great time. Though I got the feeling some of them were a little wary of me what with gasping exhausted after a round or two, but they'll learn to relax soon I'm sure.

Anyone else who has had problems finding regular and changing sparring partners who are close to your size knows how fun it is to lock horns with several dudes who have the same - or even better - a longer reach. 2009 and 2010 were pretty bad for me since I was punching and kicking with someone smaller often both in height and weight every day and it even taught me to throw stupid jabs which leave me open for a counter by anyone with the same reach. Or for a while I was in the funny place where I either had to spar with people who are 5'9 and 170 or 6'3 or 6'7 and 240 which wasn't exactly optimal either.

Hope the big guys stay with the club.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Meat Recital posted:

I'm finally getting to the point where new guys are joining the club and I can easily beat them into submission.

Reaching this point is a pretty nice confidence booster, because it tells you that your jujitsu actually works. Just don't get overconfident! That's how you get tapped out by the very same beginners.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

FEELS GOOD MAN :toot:

Guyz I was out with the flu for more than a week. That sucked. Well, got sickleave from work and tried to take it as "rest" but still. Anyhow started training carefully a couple of days ago and went back to the Boxing School™ today. AWESOME! There's a bunch of decent size 6.0 - 6'3 guys some of who are even heavier than me there! (I'm 6'1 and about 210lbs right now.) We had a dozen rounds of sparring with changing pairs so I kept running around finding the next, even bigger and meaner looking dude to wave arms with and could have gone 10-20 more no problem. Great time. Though I got the feeling some of them were a little wary of me what with gasping exhausted after a round or two, but they'll learn to relax soon I'm sure.

Anyone else who has had problems finding regular and changing sparring partners who are close to your size knows how fun it is to lock horns with several dudes who have the same - or even better - a longer reach. 2009 and 2010 were pretty bad for me since I was punching and kicking with someone smaller often both in height and weight every day and it even taught me to throw stupid jabs which leave me open for a counter by anyone with the same reach. Or for a while I was in the funny place where I either had to spar with people who are 5'9 and 170 or 6'3 or 6'7 and 240 which wasn't exactly optimal either.

Hope the big guys stay with the club.

It's weird you can't find guys your size, the majority of my bjj school is within two inches and ten pounds of you.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

It's weird you can't find guys your size, the majority of my bjj school is within two inches and ten pounds of you.

I know, it's unnatural. Go to almost any other gym and I'm regular when it comes to height. For example our BJJ guys are mostly 5'9 - 6'2, my weight too, or bigger, but the savateurs haven't been. Same with Défense.

Just bad luck I guess.

Everyone below 6'0 or upwards from 5'5 on the other hand always have "good" sparring partners irregardless, but there's a lot of new guys who've joined the gym during the past year closer to my height and weight so 2011 was pretty decent already. This year is looking good as well, there's a handful of people about the same size coming up and obviously staying here.

Hopefully we'll get an injection of those boxers I mentioned, not only for me but for the serious boxers, they box between themselves too much unless they train with other clubs on the side. Also I'm pretty fat going between 200 and 215 all the time so I tend to be heavier then most people with my reach.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 23, 2012

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bohemian Nights posted:

Reaching this point is a pretty nice confidence booster, because it tells you that your jujitsu actually works. Just don't get overconfident! That's how you get tapped out by the very same beginners.

Yes, do not reach behind you to open a newbies guard thinking "he will not triangle me" or you will be embarressed

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

BirdOfPlay posted:

Savateur: I see, understand, and can relate to the convulations. Do you have an international organization, fencing's is the Federation Internationale d'Escrime or FIE, randomly changing the basic rules of the sport?

We have this Fédération Internationale de SAVATE and it's fine, they don't randomly change rules IMO and anyway the French are the ones who maintain the sport (and the more self defense oriented variations thereof) anyway. I think they've put on a nice job developing it to answer the challenges other modern striking arts give you.

It's a national sport over there in France, the govt. maintains and supports training centers, they have a national team who are paid to train and fight etc.

The funny stuff from my personal point of view involves trying to trace the lineage of Savate, Savate Défense, how the modern and old Le Canne might connect with anything, the security and "street" oriented modern Boxe de Rue stuff and such - but in the end it doesn't matter that much.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mewse posted:

no. i am just bad at jumping rope
All I saw was the white phone. :swoon:

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

After looking at Kevin Randleman's pictures of the holes in in his armpit I think I'm going to go to the clinic and get some antibiotics for the mat burn on my foot. The redness and pain seems to be spreading out from the wound and I do not want to take chances with staph.

mewse
May 2, 2006

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

After looking at Kevin Randleman's pictures of the holes in in his armpit I think I'm going to go to the clinic and get some antibiotics for the mat burn on my foot. The redness and pain seems to be spreading out from the wound and I do not want to take chances with staph.

i'm not really a grappling guy but i think it's important you warn your gym if the clinic confirms it's staph

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

You should really confirm it is staph (or something else) before taking antibiotics.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

If it's staph, over the counter antibiotics aren't going to do enough to counter it...

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Interweb posted:

Aaaaaaaargh!

So I DID go back to training today (turns out they were open, fortunately) and after class we FINALLY discussed pricing. They want me to sign up for a year with a $450 down payment (it's $130/mo. afterwards). :(

in case it isn't obvious, $130/mo for some bullshido is a bit steep

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Senor P. posted:

You should really confirm it is staph (or something else) before taking antibiotics.

Yeah I'll see what the doctor says/prescribes first, and if it does turn out to be staph I'll for sure let the gym know but I dont want to freak everybody out until I know for sure. Ive gotten mat burn on my feet tons of times but they usually heal up quickly and this seems to be getting worse.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Yeah I'll see what the doctor says/prescribes first, and if it does turn out to be staph I'll for sure let the gym know but I dont want to freak everybody out until I know for sure. Ive gotten mat burn on my feet tons of times but they usually heal up quickly and this seems to be getting worse.

Better safe than sorry. I got ringworm in my scalp once and since then I am a total hypocondriach when it comes to anything skin related.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
what's the choke that Joseph Gordon-Levitt uses on the guy in the hallway in Inception called?

edit: a youtube video called it the "snake choke"

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 25, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Every single time I get any sort of pimple on my back or shoulder or arm or face or anywhere my fiance yells 'EWWWW STAPH INFECTION GROSS'. Is it possible for a normal pimple to look like staph (i.e. is she seeing something I don't. Looks like a normal pimple to me) or is she just being an annoying bitch?

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
So there's a lot of in-depth discussion about sweaty man hugging in this thread but I know there's a few historical fencers here. I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on the correct execution of a zornhau (as well as the philosophies surrounding it). Basically a friend of mine has been reading some books because he really wants to get into this but can't find any decent schools or even training partners in his area, and a lot of the stuff comes from Ringeck's writings.

So the problem is that basically everything about the zornhau (and the meisterhau in general) runs counter to what I've learned. Essentially the purpose of every strike is to close in and achieve anbinden, which is considered safer. In fact one of the books explicitly warns against striking a zornhau to the man and instead recommends striking at the sword while moving off the center line, which seems so absurdly wrong to me that I cannot even put it into a coherent sentence. Is this just because Ringeck's manuals were based primarily on armour fighting, while the material I'm used to is designed for first-blood judicial duels? Did attitudes to the bind change over the years, and if so why? Is this just a weird interpretation of Ringeck's writings?

I'm really confused and wondering where this idea of not striking to the man comes from, basically, and if anyone has any ideas about why it doesn't seem to show up in Meyer's or Fiore's works (at least that I've seen) and maybe has some idea why it changed (or if it changed at all).

edit: I also realise this is not the best place to be asking about this but I just want to throw in some deeper discussion of our hobby about thrusting powerfully into other dudes.

Makrond fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 25, 2012

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nierbo posted:

Every single time I get any sort of pimple on my back or shoulder or arm or face or anywhere my fiance yells 'EWWWW STAPH INFECTION GROSS'. Is it possible for a normal pimple to look like staph (i.e. is she seeing something I don't. Looks like a normal pimple to me) or is she just being an annoying bitch?

She's concerned about you. That bitch.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Finn's don't have any established Toughman or such competitions but we still have district amateur fights and occasionally poo poo LIKE THIS. Click links to watch awesome amateur boxing with semi- or full-pro rules. Fighters going 100-0 for 20 seconds and gassing out to have their rear end kicked by a kickboxer for the next two and a half rounds, bad technique, almost decent technique, jokes (nobody takes this seriously after all, they just want to punch someone and have fun) with overblown ring or walkout girls and songs and the works.

Why I'm even posting this is cause a friend who I've sparred with was going to fight in the next event, TURPAKEIKKA IV. Turpakeikka translates to "nosejob 4" and is impossible to convey in English but means "buttkick 4" for all effect and purpose.

Not smart probably but who cares, anywhere you go something like this is going down, somewhere.

Turpakeikka AFAIK is regular boxing techniques allowed, fighters decide helmet or no helmet, no shirts, 12 oz gloves IMO and 3 x 2 minute rounds or more, up on the fighters. If you are an active amateur with 15 fights you can't fight someone with 0-1 amateur record, if you have a pro fight can't fight an amateur or a newbie but after that just find a partner who is willing to dance, train for a few months (or weeks...) and go throw.

I learned the first event came to be because two cabbies got into a rather heated argument on a taxi pole and just coming to blows figured out "hey, what the gently caress this is kind of stupid?" Lets have a boxing match instead and they did for Turpakeikka I and off it went.

Fun stuff.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 25, 2012

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Nierbo posted:

Staph or MRSA can look like a big pimple, yes, but there's usually redness around the pimple.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Ligur posted:

TURPAKEIKKA IV.
I, uh, whuh :stare:

Is this even legal?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Ligur posted:

Why I'm even posting this is cause a friend who I've sparred with was going to fight in the next event, TURPAKEIKKA IV. Turpakeikka translates to "nosejob 4" and is impossible to convey in English but means "buttkick 4" for all effect and purpose.
This looks like so much fun. Insane, but fun.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

I trained shotokan karate for a while, and had to stop because I got a job in another city and couldn't keep a regular training schedule down. After a couple years of inactivity, I have enough time to regularly start training again, but I decided I'd like to try another martial art at least for a bit, instead of going straight back to karate.

I was looking at something that would be a good workout, provide along with the previous karate training a well rounded base of self defence experience for any kind of situation (ie some grappling to go with the striking), and which wouldnt be too focused on the competitive aspect (although I'm not averse to the occasional tournament here and there).

I narrowed it down to three possibilities: judo, traditional jiu jitsu, and BJJ. From what I can tell, in that order the three form a spectrum going from mostly standing (judo) to mostly groundwork (BJJ). My first inclination is towards judo, since I reckon I'll be more confortable mostly standing since none of my previous training included groundwork, and I could put to good use some of said training. On the other hand, going BJJ and going completely out of my confort zone might give me a better all round knowledge base once I gain more experience with BJJ...anyone else make a transition like this? Which martial art did you go with, and how did it work out?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

I, uh, whuh :stare:

Is this even legal?

I have no idea! It might not be! The guy I discussed the fight with had an insurance policy that covers it though. Yes he didn't believe it himself nor did I, but they (the company) repeatedly claimed it does actually cover it. hope it's never tested

Antinumeric posted:

This looks like so much fun. Insane, but fun.

:haw:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Staph or MRSA can look like a big pimple, yes, but there's usually redness around the pimple.

Thats what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Machado de Assis posted:

I trained shotokan karate for a while, and had to stop because I got a job in another city and couldn't keep a regular training schedule down. After a couple years of inactivity, I have enough time to regularly start training again, but I decided I'd like to try another martial art at least for a bit, instead of going straight back to karate.

I was looking at something that would be a good workout, provide along with the previous karate training a well rounded base of self defence experience for any kind of situation (ie some grappling to go with the striking), and which wouldnt be too focused on the competitive aspect (although I'm not averse to the occasional tournament here and there).

I narrowed it down to three possibilities: judo, traditional jiu jitsu, and BJJ. From what I can tell, in that order the three form a spectrum going from mostly standing (judo) to mostly groundwork (BJJ). My first inclination is towards judo, since I reckon I'll be more confortable mostly standing since none of my previous training included groundwork, and I could put to good use some of said training. On the other hand, going BJJ and going completely out of my confort zone might give me a better all round knowledge base once I gain more experience with BJJ...anyone else make a transition like this? Which martial art did you go with, and how did it work out?

Your previous training isn't going to make too much difference as far as grappling styles. Try both and see which you prefer. Maybe do both if you really want to go for it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Machado de Assis posted:

Most judo clubs are primarily stand up but many do include a significant amount of groundwork. My club does 30-45 minutes of groundwork every class. So you can still definitely get a lot of groundwork in in a judo class. I would steer away from traditional jiu-jitsu in favor of either judo or bjj. I don't think it's exactly a continuum like that. TJJ encompasses many different styles so to say that TJJ means more ground work than judo or more stand up than BJJ won't always be correct. Any BJJ or judo club will offer "alive" training against resisting opponents, and that will not always be a component of TJJ. Note that of the three options, judo will almost always be the least expensive.

I agree with Xguard that the Karate training probably won't make too much of a difference. Maybe you'll have better balance and be lighter on your feet, which would be beneficial for judo.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Note that of the three options, judo will almost always be the least expensive.

My judo dojo is $30/mo (no contract, just cut a check for however many months you want) and that's for 2x 2-hour practices each week. Plus a gi, but those are like $40-50. And we have a larger sister dojo on the west side of the city with whom we have reciprocity and I could train there for free.

Anecdotally, BJJ is much much more expensive, we've had two new members join primarily because BJJ runs $100-200/mo here in Los Angeles. They attributed the cost to the trendiness of BJJ in MMA.

---

I've really been enjoying judo, it's a fun and challenging workout and above all I love the social/team dynamic at my gym. I'm considering adding in another martial art. I've been thinking about Muay Thai, there are several gyms in my area, the best-equipped and best-reviewed being this one: http://m.5starmartialarts.com/

They also have kettlebell classes which looks like a fun way to get in some additional strength/cardio training.

Anyone familiar with Five Star Martial Arts or have any impressions based on their website? The facilities look great and there are TONS of class options, my main concern is there is absolutely zero discussion of fees/costs other than "sign up here for 30 day free trial!" forms on every single page. I'm concerned that after the 30 day trial I'd have to sign a yearlong contract at some exorbitant monthly rate.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Machado de Assis posted:

TJJ is a mixed bag, it could be great, awful, all standup, or all ground, varying from club to club. Judo and BJJ are both more consistent, and likely to be higher quality training. Judo probably looks like your best bet for what you're after. Judo and karate would cover all the ranges of self defense when combined. BJJ would make you a much better fighter on the ground than Judo, but would leave you with a hole when it comes to grappling/wrestling while standing, and if self defense is what interests you it's probably more important to get experience at every range.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Makrond posted:

So there's a lot of in-depth discussion about sweaty man hugging in this thread but I know there's a few historical fencers here. I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on the correct execution of a zornhau (as well as the philosophies surrounding it). Basically a friend of mine has been reading some books because he really wants to get into this but can't find any decent schools or even training partners in his area, and a lot of the stuff comes from Ringeck's writings.

So the problem is that basically everything about the zornhau (and the meisterhau in general) runs counter to what I've learned. Essentially the purpose of every strike is to close in and achieve anbinden, which is considered safer. In fact one of the books explicitly warns against striking a zornhau to the man and instead recommends striking at the sword while moving off the center line, which seems so absurdly wrong to me that I cannot even put it into a coherent sentence. Is this just because Ringeck's manuals were based primarily on armour fighting, while the material I'm used to is designed for first-blood judicial duels? Did attitudes to the bind change over the years, and if so why? Is this just a weird interpretation of Ringeck's writings?

I'm really confused and wondering where this idea of not striking to the man comes from, basically, and if anyone has any ideas about why it doesn't seem to show up in Meyer's or Fiore's works (at least that I've seen) and maybe has some idea why it changed (or if it changed at all).

edit: I also realise this is not the best place to be asking about this but I just want to throw in some deeper discussion of our hobby about thrusting powerfully into other dudes.

I did some EMA for a while, If I had the time I'd get back into it. I've only read Fiore and I'm very inexperienced sadly. It's designed to break guard and put you in a good bind right? From the video I just watched it seems to do everything you described and looked fairly effective, I guess aiming for the weapon is part of the weapon being the real target in that move, I'm not sure about stepping of centre however. Please let me know if you figure it out!Sorry for being a bit useless.

Historical martial arts are very cool and the work done to re-build them from texts is incredible. If you were to get me to try and do an armbar from someones description of it it would be hilariously off, so to do something like this is amazing. Also the end of that video has some hilariously compliant "throws".

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Machado de Assis posted:

Traditional Jiu Jitsu isn't really a single thing, it's just a general Japanese term for martial arts. Judo is Kano Ryu Jiu Jitsu, for example (the martial art started by Kano). TJJ can be any random thing. Fusen Ryu JJ is basically bad BJJ, for example, while Takenouchi-Ryu is a complete armed fighting system for samurai that includes techniques for polearms, signaling fans and binding with ropes and has an emphasis on how to grapple while wearing armor. IIRC there's another ryu that's based around fighting without rising from your knees in order to avoid insulting your superiors.

Basically, there's no way that we can say anything intelligent about the art because it's not actually an art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Pellisworth posted:

Anyone familiar with Five Star Martial Arts or have any impressions based on their website? The facilities look great and there are TONS of class options, my main concern is there is absolutely zero discussion of fees/costs other than "sign up here for 30 day free trial!" forms on every single page. I'm concerned that after the 30 day trial I'd have to sign a yearlong contract at some exorbitant monthly rate.
Don't know anything about the pricing but I do know that Shawn Williams the BJJ instructor is an amazing instructor.

• Locked thread