Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiesty Francis
Apr 7, 2005

At least if I'd studied literature I might be able to spell `feisty'

furushotakeru posted:

My suggestion is generally to file the returns for the past years. The penalties only apply for "willful failure to file". If they try to assess a penalty, respond with a letter saying that she was unaware of the requirement to file since she has lived in Canada for essentially her whole life.

Of greater concern might be that US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income. Between the foreign earned income exclusion, foreign tax credit, and the treaty between the US and Canada she probably won't end up owing anything, but technically she should be filing a US tax return for each year. I doubt anyone actually does, but that's the rules.

Great, I'll make sure she files this year. I'll also make sure i never give her more than 95k as an income split, apparently!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I'm starting my taxes early this year because last year was a bit of a rush job, but basically:

1) I'm going to grad school in MD, but I've been keeping my legal domicile as PA for car insurance/voting purposes.
2) Last year, I had to pay both MD and PA taxes, with different amounts being taxable for each state due to the reciprocal agreement between the two.
3) I live in Maryland year round.

This year, however, my W-2 form wasn't split up into one PA and one MD form, but just one form for MD with all my income. My question is this: Do I need to file a PA return? Will stating I'm a resident of Maryland for tax purposes change my legal domicile and affect my ability to stay on my parents car insurance and vote in PA? Will the PA tax man be after me?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Insurrectum posted:

I'm starting my taxes early this year because last year was a bit of a rush job, but basically:

1) I'm going to grad school in MD, but I've been keeping my legal domicile as PA for car insurance/voting purposes.
2) Last year, I had to pay both MD and PA taxes, with different amounts being taxable for each state due to the reciprocal agreement between the two.
3) I live in Maryland year round.

This year, however, my W-2 form wasn't split up into one PA and one MD form, but just one form for MD with all my income. My question is this: Do I need to file a PA return? Will stating I'm a resident of Maryland for tax purposes change my legal domicile and affect my ability to stay on my parents car insurance and vote in PA? Will the PA tax man be after me?

Where did you perform the services for which you got paid ? If all services were performed in MD, you would probably need to file a non-resident MD tax return ( since you are maintaining that you are still a PA resident ).

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Quick, easy one.

I registered an EIN for my business last year, but didn't actually operate the business at all. Do I need to file taxes for it?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Dragyn posted:

Quick, easy one.

I registered an EIN for my business last year, but didn't actually operate the business at all. Do I need to file taxes for it?

Did you also register with the state ? Are you going to do anything with this business in 2012 ? You might want to consider going ahead and filing a return with all zeroes. Or, if you have decided against doing anything with this business then filing a return, marking it " final " just so the IRS won't be looking for a return later. There may be more steps involved if you also registered with your home state.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
My wife and I both contributed the max to a Roth IRA this year. In September I was offered a promotion with my company in a different state, which I accepted. Part of our relocation package was that they paid me a lump sum "no loss on sale" when I sold my house, which skyrocketed my income over the AGI limit for Roth IRAs.

As I understand it, if I simply withdraw the $5000 that my wife and I paid to our respective Roth IRAs along with the accompanying interest income, we won't have to pay any sort of penalty. However, I see the following line on irs.gov:

IRS Publication 590 posted:

Applying excess contributions. If contributions to your Roth IRA for a year were more than the limit, you can apply the excess contribution in one year to a later year if the contributions for that later year are less than the maximum allowed for that year.

So if I am reading this right, there is a way to simply say that we want to change our 2011 contributions to be for 2012 instead, since we will be below the AGI limit for a full Roth IRA contribution. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, how do I have this done? Do I just claim a $0 Roth IRA contribution for me and my wife in 2011 and then claim the $5000 for each of us in 2012?

edit: One other question -- if I do decide to withdraw the contribution, do I just need to claim the interest income made on that contribution within 2011 (which actually would have been negative, so I'm guessing I could claim a tax credit), or the income through the date of withdrawal (which would be positive, so I would have to pay cap gains)?

[panic] fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 25, 2012

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

"[panic posted:

"]
My wife and I both contributed the max to a Roth IRA this year. In September I was offered a promotion with my company in a different state, which I accepted. Part of our relocation package was that they paid me a lump sum "no loss on sale" when I sold my house, which skyrocketed my income over the AGI limit for Roth IRAs.

As I understand it, if I simply withdraw the $5000 that my wife and I paid to our respective Roth IRAs along with the accompanying interest income, we won't have to pay any sort of penalty. However, I see the following line on irs.gov:

So if I am reading this right, there is a way to simply say that we want to change our 2011 contributions to be for 2012 instead, since we will be below the AGI limit for a full Roth IRA contribution. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, how do I have this done? Do I just claim a $0 Roth IRA contribution for me and my wife in 2011 and then claim the $5000 for each of us in 2012?

edit: One other question -- if I do decide to withdraw the contribution, do I just need to claim the interest income made on that contribution within 2011 (which actually would have been negative, so I'm guessing I could claim a tax credit), or the income through the date of withdrawal (which would be positive, so I would have to pay cap gains)?

I would just withdraw it, and if you're eligible next year, put the funds into a Roth after you do your taxes.

You'll get a 1099-R from your IRA administrator. The loss on IRA is tough to claim if you've got other IRA funds still.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

seymore posted:

Did you also register with the state ? Are you going to do anything with this business in 2012 ? You might want to consider going ahead and filing a return with all zeroes. Or, if you have decided against doing anything with this business then filing a return, marking it " final " just so the IRS won't be looking for a return later. There may be more steps involved if you also registered with your home state.

As a followup to this, I dissolved by Delaware LLC at the end of 2011, and have all the paperwork to show it. We had business activity and filed federal taxes for 2009 and 2010. In the calender year 2011, we didn't conduct any business at all, but the corporation existed because we didn't cancel it in time at the end of 2010.

Do I have to file what will be a blank federal form now for tax year 2011? Can I just go back and amend 2010's return to read final since no business activity happened in 2011? What's the best thing to do so the IRS doesn't come for me?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

TacoHavoc posted:

As a followup to this, I dissolved by Delaware LLC at the end of 2011, and have all the paperwork to show it. We had business activity and filed federal taxes for 2009 and 2010. In the calender year 2011, we didn't conduct any business at all, but the corporation existed because we didn't cancel it in time at the end of 2010.

Do I have to file what will be a blank federal form now for tax year 2011? Can I just go back and amend 2010's return to read final since no business activity happened in 2011? What's the best thing to do so the IRS doesn't come for me?

The easiest way to handle this is to just file a 2011 Form 1065 with a few stategically placed zeroes, check the box " final ". That should be all.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I received my Consolidated 1099 from my brokerage and I have one stock trade that is on the paper labeled 1099-B and the rest (equity option trades) are on the next paper Supplemental Reporting Section. When entering these trades for taxes, I assume I do it on the 1099-B section but there is a box asking if I received a 1099-B for these trades. What would I put for that?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Nifty posted:

I received my Consolidated 1099 from my brokerage and I have one stock trade that is on the paper labeled 1099-B and the rest (equity option trades) are on the next paper Supplemental Reporting Section. When entering these trades for taxes, I assume I do it on the 1099-B section but there is a box asking if I received a 1099-B for these trades. What would I put for that?

Option trades aren't reported on 1099-B

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

In 2009 I had a capital loss of about -$6,000. $3,000 of that was claimed on my 2009 taxes. Being a dumb kid I didn't look at my 2009 taxes before right now and I did TurboTax in 2010 so no one else looked at my 2009 taxes either.

Is that $3,000 something that I can claim on my 2011 taxes or will an amended 2010 return have to be filed? And if an amended 2010 return needs to be filed, is that something that is cheap and easy or is it an expensive nightmare?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

In 2009 I had a capital loss of about -$6,000. $3,000 of that was claimed on my 2009 taxes. Being a dumb kid I didn't look at my 2009 taxes before right now and I did TurboTax in 2010 so no one else looked at my 2009 taxes either.

Is that $3,000 something that I can claim on my 2011 taxes or will an amended 2010 return have to be filed? And if an amended 2010 return needs to be filed, is that something that is cheap and easy or is it an expensive nightmare?

You need to treat the loss carryforward like you filed it properly in 2010 (you're SOL in 2011).

If it does you any good you should amend your 2010 return to pick that up.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

AbbiTheDog posted:

You need to treat the loss carryforward like you filed it properly in 2010 (you're SOL in 2011).

If it does you any good you should amend your 2010 return to pick that up.

If I have someone do my taxes and I also have them do an amended 2010 return what's a ballpark on how much that will cost? Closer to $50 or closer to $500? Assuming of course they don't find anything else hosed up.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If I have someone do my taxes and I also have them do an amended 2010 return what's a ballpark on how much that will cost? Closer to $50 or closer to $500? Assuming of course they don't find anything else hosed up.

Depends on te preparer. I would usually charge around $250 minimum.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Will filing an amended 2010 be a red flag and bring about more likely audits on my past/future taxes?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Will filing an amended 2010 be a red flag and bring about more likely audits on my past/future taxes?

No

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Depends on te preparer. I would usually charge around $250 minimum.

For the amount involved, you might just print off Form 1040X, read the instructions, and send it off yourself. It's not that complicated.

And yes, the fees are going to run around a couple hundred bucks because we preparers have to drop in all of your other info just to generate a return, and that takes time.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

AbbiTheDog posted:

For the amount involved, you might just print off Form 1040X, read the instructions, and send it off yourself. It's not that complicated.

And yes, the fees are going to run around a couple hundred bucks because we preparers have to drop in all of your other info just to generate a return, and that takes time.

Depending on A GIANT PARNSHIP's income/AGI range ($50,000 or less, typically), (s)he may be able to get one of the volunteer tax preparation outfits like VITA to do the returns for free.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 26, 2012

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

Depending on A GIANT PARNSHIP's income/AGI range ($50,000 or less, typically), (s)he may be able to get one of the volunteer tax preparation outfits like VITA to do the returns for free.

I don't think vita can do an amendment, but it wouldn't hurt to call a local site and ask.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

furushotakeru posted:

I don't think vita can do an amendment, but it wouldn't hurt to call a local site and ask.

I know the location I was at did it and I know other volunteer tax preparation programs like Community Tax Aid (that's the NYC location I linked to since I've volunteered for it in the past as well) definitely do it since they have CPAs, EAs and/or (tax) attorneys managing the sites and some of these other non-VITA volunteer programs (like CTA) do cover areas that VITA does in more limited form (like amendments, itemized deductions and capital gains/losses).

Edit: They would probably be willing to do it, but he'd have to provide the past return documentation to comply with the applicable Circular 230, AICPA Tax Services and other requirements expected by all tax preparers (even uncompensated volunteers which are limited in liability) since it'd effectively be a new return for the volunteer preparers.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 27, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
So I ran through TurboTax and it offered me only a $150 federal return... last year my return was around $4,000 and my financial situation hasn't changed too substantially.

1) I switched jobs, but I worked the same job for all of 2010 and for 9 months of 2011. My gross income was only a little higher in 2011 as a result.
2) I had an additional 1099 for $1300 worth of contracting I did.

That's all I can really think of... I haven't manually adjusted my withholdings or anything.

Should I try some other software other than TurboTax? This is my first time filing this myself, my father has always done it until now, and I'm not sure how he got such a large return.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

So I ran through TurboTax and it offered me only a $150 federal return... last year my return was around $4,000 and my financial situation hasn't changed too substantially.

1) I switched jobs, but I worked the same job for all of 2010 and for 9 months of 2011. My gross income was only a little higher in 2011 as a result.
2) I had an additional 1099 for $1300 worth of contracting I did.

That's all I can really think of... I haven't manually adjusted my withholdings or anything.

Should I try some other software other than TurboTax? This is my first time filing this myself, my father has always done it until now, and I'm not sure how he got such a large return.

Well, if you switched jobs and you made more than $106,800 last year in W-2 wages in total, you were taxed on the 4.2% Social Security withholding under FICA more than legally required (not sure if Turbo Tax calculates the excess payment credit or not); I seriously doubt this was a major factor if your total gross income was almost the same, however. The self-employment income subjects you to the self-employment tax (although reduced on the for AGI side by the 7.65% employer share as a deduction), which more-than-likely increased your tax liability total by a decent amount.

It's also possible you phased out/were disqualified from certain credits that you qualified for previously (such as Earned Income Tax Credit) which helped give you a large refund in the past, or possibly you had itemized last year and you're using the standard deduction this year. Maybe you had some sort of education credit or deduction last year? Just some random thoughts from the brief synopsis you gave.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 27, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
That's possible, I was an actively enrolled student in 2010 but graduated that year.

H&R Block's online tax prep software gave me a $500 rebate. Well, $200 if I don't take the Moving Expenses credit.

I moved, but just about 50 miles. I can't quite tell if it's over or under 50 miles -- it's right on the cusp depending on the route you take. Should I just fudge it to be that because it's so close and 50 miles is the requirement for the moving expenses credit, or do they measure these distances as the eagle flies, or does no one really care, or what?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

I moved, but just about 50 miles. I can't quite tell if it's over or under 50 miles -- it's right on the cusp depending on the route you take. Should I just fudge it to be that because it's so close and 50 miles is the requirement for the moving expenses credit, or do they measure these distances as the eagle flies, or does no one really care, or what?

Here is the official IRS publication determination of the distance test; the blunt answer that any honest preparer will tell you is "If it's technically less than 50 miles further out, you can't claim it." I doubt you'll hear any of the other tax accountants/preparers in this thread advise you to fudge anything since that would be in violation of Circular 230, the AICPA Standards on Tax Services and a bunch of other rules and regulations that tax preparers (CPAs, EAs and tax attorneys) must abide by to be in good standing with the IRS and if they're CPAs or attorneys, their State Board of Accountancy and/or Bar Association. I would strongly suggest against it given the penalties that you would face if you were audited one day and it was found to be untrue, as well.

Edit: Did you pay tuition as you attended school or took out a loan and are paying interest now? Just wondering for credit purposes...

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 27, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

Edit: Did you pay tuition as you attended school or took out a loan and are paying interest now? Just wondering for credit purposes...

Both -- I took out some massive, massive loans in 2005 and 2006, and then when I realized what I was getting myself into, transfered to a school where I could pay all my tuition without taking loans... but I still have quite a bit from my 2.5 years at the other school.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

Both -- I took out some massive, massive loans in 2005 and 2006, and then when I realized what I was getting myself into, transfered to a school where I could pay all my tuition without taking loans... but I still have quite a bit from my 2.5 years at the other school.

Well, you probably got the Lifetime Learning Credit, since you did start your education over 4 years ago (the credit is fully non-refundable, which means that it reduced your liability to zero but wasn't refundable in-of-itself); you probably had your federal withholdings refunded and maybe 1-2 other refundable credits on your 2010 return (possibly the EITC if you were 25+), from what I can gather. When you pay down the loans, you'll be able to claim up to $2,500 in loan interest a year as a deduction for AGI (that is, to calculate AGI).

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2012

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I tried to scan the thread but it is kind of huge so I figured I might as well just ask this...

I'm single, live in an apartment, and earn somewhere between $42-45k. No property, dependents, student loans, investments outside of tax sheltered accounts, etc. Are there any generic credits I should be aware of this year? For instance in 2009 and 2010 there was the "Make Work Pay" credit.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Lyon posted:

I tried to scan the thread but it is kind of huge so I figured I might as well just ask this...

I'm single, live in an apartment, and earn somewhere between $42-45k. No property, dependents, student loans, investments outside of tax sheltered accounts, etc. Are there any generic credits I should be aware of this year? For instance in 2009 and 2010 there was the "Make Work Pay" credit.

Other than maybe the Traditional IRA deduction (for AGI) and the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit (non-refundable credit), I don't believe you will qualify for any credits (beyond any federal tax withholdings), based on the facts you've presented (Making Work Pay was eliminated due to a sunset provision).

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

ThirdPartyView posted:

Other than maybe the Traditional IRA deduction (for AGI) and the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit (non-refundable credit), I don't believe you will qualify for any credits (beyond any federal tax withholdings), based on the facts you've presented (Making Work Pay was eliminated due to a sunset provision).

Yeah I knew it was eliminated, just an example to help illustrate my point. I'll look into the retirement savings contribution credit but I'm assuming I won't be getting much back from the government this year sadly.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I am subject to the AMT this year for the first time so I had a couple questions about it. I'm not listing everything on my 1040, only the big stuff to make it easier to read.

code:

Wages:            $255,275
State Refund:       $1,814
Dividends:         $15,929
CapGains:          -$2,213
IRA Rollover:      $25,066 (done in 2010 - can't undo it now)
HSA Adj:           -$6,150

Total AGI:        $289,742

State Tax:         $11,830
Prop Tax:           $4,067

Total Normal Tax:  $62,052
Additional AMT:     $1,144
  • Is there anything I can do about this for 2011?
  • Is there anything I can do for 2012 to avoid the same thing next year? Looking through the AMT worksheet, I can't think of anything I can change (except moving states, selling my house, or having one of us quit our job).

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Not to side track, but what investments are you running for that kind of dividend income. I am a dividend fiend and love discussing dividend income generating investments. Send a PM if you want!

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Droo posted:

I am subject to the AMT this year for the first time so I had a couple questions about it. I'm not listing everything on my 1040, only the big stuff to make it easier to read.

code:

Wages:            $255,275
State Refund:       $1,814
Dividends:         $15,929
CapGains:          -$2,213
IRA Rollover:      $25,066 (done in 2010 - can't undo it now)
HSA Adj:           -$6,150

Total AGI:        $289,742

State Tax:         $11,830
Prop Tax:           $4,067

Total Normal Tax:  $62,052
Additional AMT:     $1,144
  • Is there anything I can do about this for 2011?
  • Is there anything I can do for 2012 to avoid the same thing next year? Looking through the AMT worksheet, I can't think of anything I can change (except moving states, selling my house, or having one of us quit our job).

Max out your 401(k). Make sure you don't borrow against your house equity, since if it's non-acquisition debt it would be nondeductible.

I'm not seeing any misc. expenses subject to 2%, do you have any? If you do, they are not deductible, so if you have any unreimbursed employee expenses you can try and negotiate with your job to reimburse those for you in exchange for a drop in pay.

Some states have programs where you can essentially change state taxes into a charitible contribution, making something that would be nondeductible for AMT deductible. Depends on the state.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
My SSN was wrong on my W-2 and I've contacted my employer, but the guy in the business office is a dick and will only tell me he told the payroll company about it and that's it. He literally scoffs at me when I follow up about wanting a W-2c. It's been a month and I want to do my taxes. What exactly do I need to do to know the situation is corrected? I just need the W-2c from the payroll company right? I'm following the IRS directions but I'm at the mercy of this dickhead who doesn't want me to get a W-2c apparently.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My aunt didn't file her 2010 and 2011 federal and state taxes due to her documents getting flooded. Can you file an extension for 2010 Federal taxes? I found the form for 2011 but not 2010. How about for the 2010 State taxes (California)?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

AbbiTheDog posted:

I did some research and if you file with TurboTax they let you create and print out 1040X's for those returns for free, so I'm going that route right now. I do have another tax question though!

In 2009 I had a capital loss of $6,192. I had assumed that $3,000 of that was taken in 2009, but I plopped in the numbers TurboTax wanted from my 2009 return and it kept telling me that I would be taking $3,000 in 2010 and have $3,192 to carry over into 2011. It seems since I only made $2,349 in 2009 (I was unemployed until late November '09) my standard deduction was enough to zero out my wages. Does this mean I carry all $6,192 into 2010, and by extension carry $3,192 into 2011?

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Is it possible for me to get the Child and Dependent Care Credit?

My daughter was born in November of 2011 but we spent about 1200 maid services for the entire year. My mother took care of the child during this time as well and I paid her but made no receipt and no money actually changed hands.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

SimpleCoax posted:

My SSN was wrong on my W-2 and I've contacted my employer, but the guy in the business office is a dick and will only tell me he told the payroll company about it and that's it. He literally scoffs at me when I follow up about wanting a W-2c. It's been a month and I want to do my taxes. What exactly do I need to do to know the situation is corrected? I just need the W-2c from the payroll company right? I'm following the IRS directions but I'm at the mercy of this dickhead who doesn't want me to get a W-2c apparently.

You could try to make an end run and call the W-2 preparer directly, if you know. Not sure if that would get you in trouble with higher ups. You can go ahead and file,wait for a notice, then deal with the IRS. Explain to them the situation.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

b0nes posted:

My aunt didn't file her 2010 and 2011 federal and state taxes due to her documents getting flooded. Can you file an extension for 2010 Federal taxes? I found the form for 2011 but not 2010. How about for the 2010 State taxes (California)?

It is too late to officially extend her 2010 return, but both the IRS and State should be willing to work with her in terms of avoiding penalties ( assuming she owes ) because of the hardship. You have until Alpril 17th of this year to extend the 2011 returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

seymore posted:

It is too late to officially extend her 2010 return, but both the IRS and State should be willing to work with her in terms of avoiding penalties ( assuming she owes ) because of the hardship. You have until Alpril 17th of this year to extend the 2011 returns.

It is actually almost impossible to get the IRS to waive failure to file penalties but it never hurts to ask. The worst they will say is no. Or, maybe th aunt won't owe anything on the return and won't be penalized at all.