Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

thelightguy posted:

Gold-plated snake oil. That's all it is. Sorry bro.

At the professional level gold plating is not used. It's just something to sell to gullible consumers like, well, you. :v:

There is no appreciable difference in signal loss between a gold-plated connector and a standard nickel connector. The only benefit it confers is a slight additional protection against corrosion until the gold plating inevitably gets scratched off.

An interesting read.....
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-01-06/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
i cant

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 4, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I have a CD from the mid-90s sitting on my desk, that still hasn't spontaneously transformed into a swan, so obviously CDs are superior to cassettes.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

thelightguy posted:

I have a CD from the mid-90s sitting on my desk, that still hasn't spontaneously transformed into a swan, so obviously CDs are superior to cassettes.

well that's pretty cool bro

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Shogunner posted:

Welp, I have Koss 4AA/Pros that had it's 6.3 replaced with a gold plated 6.3 back in the 70's and it hasn't corroded or deterred in sound (according to the radio presenter I got them as a gift from back in 2005) since way back when. I had work done on them but that was to replace the pads. So I'm going to stick to believing that if it comes with gold plated connectors, I'm not going to bitch. :parrot:

This one time I had a cold and I took some homoeopathic medicine at the advice of a friend and my cold went away! So I'm now using homoeopathy to treat my cancer and my psychic said that this month is the month where I start getting better. It must be true because she makes blanket statements that sometimes apply to me and my life.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Ahahahahahaahahhhhahaha this guy. :laugh:

I should have known the minute I saw those ridiculously framed "desk" photos.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
ok look i was a teen back then

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 22, 2020

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Shogunner posted:

It reduces signal loss on analog systems significantly
:cawg:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I had to go out and buy another harddrive for all my WAV files. I don't use FLAC because it's too lossy.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Shogunner posted:

I don't even get why you get so angry at the thought of gold plated cables. What was your reasoning? You were angry that it makes it more expensive? By like what? 2 cents? Quit your bitchin'

abloooabloooablooooo these cables have gold plating what a terrible product

e: Also you guys must be having a right laugh in that steam chat right now eh
They're making jokes at your expense because you insulted tufty over something trivial, then made yourself an easy target by claiming gold-plated connectors reduce signal loss, (Gold plated connecters are comparably resistant to corrosion) and posted snarky responses to laid bait.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 24, 2012

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Dominoes posted:

then made yourself an easy target by claiming gold-plated connectors reduce signal loss

But, I've heard it. Standard and my Gold 4AA's on a vinyl system, sure it wasn't crazy massive, but you could hear it. It's kind of like the difference between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC, theres barely any difference, but, you can still hear it. Maybe not as significantly as I sprinkled it on to be, nor will it ruin you, unlike listening to actual headphones in contrast to iBuds, but I heard it in my own ears, so whatever. I'll continue sticking to my ignorant ways then I guess.

e: Also Tufty started this argument ages ago after he taunted me for spending a fair amount of money on headphones, so yea, gently caress you Tufty. I just wanted posted some pictures of my rearranged stuff.

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 24, 2012

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

There are a bunch of people who also claim to hear a difference between $4/foot and $40000/foot wires. And that's what this thread is for: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333&pagenumber=21 :)

vvvvvv p.s I have the M50s and they are great headphones, but I didn't buy them because they have a gold connector!

Gimperial fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 24, 2012

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Gimperial posted:

There are a bunch of people who also claim to hear a difference between $4/foot and $40000/foot wires. And that's what this thread is for: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333&pagenumber=21 :)

Theres a difference between paying ridiculous amounts for differences so suttle (the audiphiles that thread is ridiculing), and paying 100 bucks more for headphones you need for your career that have a noticeable difference in build quality and performance. :eng101:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

What is it about gold that would make it have a lower latency? Do you have any scientific basis for that at all?

E: Following that logically, would it not make more sense to use platinum or another metal? If Gold is better then copper/silver, would it not logically follow that something else would be even better?

SRQ fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 24, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Shogunner posted:

But, I've heard it. Standard and my Gold 4AA's on a vinyl system, sure it wasn't crazy massive, but you could hear it.

Ah, the placebo effect, I know ye well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Guys, I've got it! gently caress yeah, a revolution in connector design.

CHILLED CONNECTORS

that's right motherfucker, peltier cooled jacks.

Less resistance, better conductivity, for a cleaner sound

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

gently caress that, superconducting wire. LN-cooled all the way from the amplifier to your ears.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

thelightguy posted:

gently caress that, superconducting wire. LN-cooled all the way from the amplifier to your ears.

That would be the premium model

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
ima kms

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 4, 2021

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

What? You literally claimed it help latency on the last page.

E: Oh, signal loss. Which would be caused by corrosion...
Okay I guess that's a little bit of sense, but surely silver or copper don't corrode very quickly in anything other then a salt factory.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yet again, a way to strike it rich - empty your home of all that horrible oxygen, fill it with an inert gas, and then wear an oxygen mask around the house.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 24, 2012

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
ahhhh

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 4, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

SRQ posted:

What? You literally claimed it help latency on the last page.

E: Oh, signal loss. Which would be caused by corrosion...
Okay I guess that's a little bit of sense, but surely silver or copper don't corrode very quickly in anything other then a salt factory.

And since most audio connectors are made of nickel, and not silver or copper, they don't corrode much at all, because nickel is incredibly corrosion resistant. Gold is one of the few metals superior to it.

Cheap headphones generally suck because of a loose or broken solder joint in the connector. It just so happens that replacing the connector fixes that.

Gold plating is snake oil. I have an entire road case full of audio cables, and I can count the ones with gold plated connectors on one hand... and they're all consumer-grade cables from radio shack.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Shogunner posted:

e: Okay my girlfriend just texted how some random troll account just told her to break up with me for being a money wasting idiot, you can go gently caress yourself.

Buy her a gold plated ring to decrease her latency.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I saw the last page and I thought this was going to go into how you recabled a bunch of these but you're just bragging about the in-box adapters that many of these headphones include. There's nothing special here. I demo a lot of expensive headphones before I buy them but the least I'm concerned about is the connector.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hear if you wrap a Power Balance band across your head, it'll balance the stereo image to something better.

thelightguy posted:

Gold plating is snake oil. I have an entire road case full of audio cables, and I can count the ones with gold plated connectors on one hand... and they're all consumer-grade cables from radio shack.
I have some consumer Philips in-ears, and they're nickel, not gold-plated. I guess that trend's wearing off.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 24, 2012

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Can you rehost the pics because there were a lot of ~$70 headphones I remember seeing and one pair of decent Senns but the rest weren't even really at the price level I'd begin to think about recabling or where the connector would even come into play.

Also what's your amp/dac? This can make a difference.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

We are ever so slightly derailed. Can I see more pictures of IKEA furniture?

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hey guy with the headphones don't host poo poo on your drop box you idiot.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Shogunner, I want to like you man, but you REALLY need to stop taking the bait and sperging the gently caress out. I know you've found things that work for you, and you have your opinions, but a lot of people don't share them. I mean come on man, how many times have you done this in this thread alone?

That said, I really need to get a good pair of rugged, compact headphones for when I travel. Suggestions?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

PopeOnARope posted:

That said, I really need to get a good pair of rugged, compact headphones for when I travel. Suggestions?

Did this really just turn into a headphone thread?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Did this really just turn into a headphone thread?

We have one of those, over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2387142

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PopeOnARope posted:

ipod earbuds

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Y'all can stop talking about headphones now.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
And here I thought we had an overnight blast of new desk photos. I have to admit the level of excitement I felt at the idea was surprising.

edit: content

Empty Pockets fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 24, 2012

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

edit: oops never mind

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

My office at home.

My fat cat demands the luxury of my falling apart Ikea chair, so I sit in this surprisingly comfortable plastic dining chair a lot of the day.

This will not be my work desk much longer since I got another job at an actual office that I have to go into, so I thought I would commemorate and comply with the request for more Ikea desks (I think this is the Galant with I frame legs).

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
What kind of headphones are those?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What kind of headphones are those?

:ughh:

Senn HD 555s with the foam taken out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
asdjfdshjgl;