Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I'm just surprised that a 1L still cares despite the fact that it's already February.

A very good point. That hadn't even occurred to me, mainly because time melts together now and I live in the south so the weather never changes.

The only dates I notice anymore are the 15th and the last day of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

That is a lie. Burritos are a fine change of pace from tacos every so often, but the true king of Mexican food is the torta, and only if it is served on an awesome crunchy bolillo that you can cram lots of hot rear end-sauce onto without it getting soggy.4

Sure, everyone knows that tortas are amazing "authentic" Mexican food, but the Mission burrito is a king in its own right. Sometimes innovations are delicious.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

zzyzx posted:

Actually didn't know that was a San Diego thing; I've only ever called them California burritos. And now I'm on the wikipedia page for burritos. Today is an educational day.

Ya we call them California Burritos but you head north and they don't really have them. I know they're not common in LA, not sure about OC. They do not exist in the Bay.

Also quality ranges like anything else but if you're in PB hit Albertos. They use fresh cut fries. Ask for them well done. Alternatively, get the carne asada fries, mow on them shits, then hit the beach for nap time

E: For a fun spot hit Lucha Libre in Mission Hills. Soothing Vapors I'm looking at you (come back to PSP I miss your wit there).

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2012

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The Dagda posted:

Sure, everyone knows that tortas are amazing "authentic" Mexican food, but the Mission burrito is a king in its own right. Sometimes innovations are delicious.

I went to San Francisco and had to choose between cioppino and a mission burrito. My cioppino, despite being delicious, haunts me because I will always wonder about the huge mission burrito that never was.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 23, 2012

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

Seriously, shut your fool hole and click the butans

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sigmachiev posted:

Ya we call them California Burritos but you head north and they don't really have them. I know they're not common in LA, not sure about OC. They do not exist in the Bay.

Also quality ranges like anything else but if you're in PB hit Albertos. They use fresh cut fries. Ask for them well done. Alternatively, get the carne asada fries, mow on them shits, then hit the beach for nap time

E: For a fun spot hit Lucha Libre in Mission Hills. Soothing Vapors I'm looking at you (come back to PSP I miss your wit there).

619 represent

What I really miss the most is a $3.75 machaca burrito with spicy red salsa in a little plastic ramekin...my favorite burrito...

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Huh, we have California burritos in Guam. Thought they were just making poo poo up and adding french fries for no discernible reason.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Behold: the one true hot sauce!

e: Trinidad and Tobago supremacy

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

619 represent

What I really miss the most is a $3.75 machaca burrito with spicy red salsa in a little plastic ramekin...my favorite burrito...

SD taco chat? Today is the best day.

One of my favorites, from one of those 24-hr. pre-fab mini-barn-shaped food stands: the Chile Relleno Burrito, featuring two chiles rellenos, sauce and some beans. Great stuff.

I basically can't bring myself to eat Mexican except when I'm back home in SD -- it just doesn't seem worth the time, calories or effort in most places (this is even worse overseas).

Also, had my first California Burrito at the chow hall in Baghdad last year. On Mexican day we stood in line for fajitas, then walked over to the short-order bar for fries. Yum.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Business of Ferrets posted:

One of my favorites, from one of those 24-hr. pre-fab mini-barn-shaped food stands: the Chile Relleno Burrito, featuring two chiles rellenos, sauce and some beans. Great stuff.

All I can think about when someone says Chile Relleno is the episode of Top Chef where the neck tattoo lady made one stuffed with seitan.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

All I can think about when someone says Chile Relleno is the episode of Top Chef where the neck tattoo lady made one stuffed with seitan.

That was the most disgusting thing ever produced on that show.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

entris posted:

Pssssh East Coast 4 Life.

Might as well be the same thing

I believe in pretty much doing whatever with burritos, but tacos have a formula that should be followed. Unless drunk, then anything goes.
Korean tacos are also delicious and still more authentic and delicious than tacos with cheese.

Burritos, norcal wins, hands down. I haven't had a really good burritos since moving to socal (though I'm in the IE).

nm fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 24, 2012

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nm posted:

I believe in pretty much doing whatever with burritos, but tacos have a formula that should be followed. Unless drunk, then anything goes.
Korean tacos are also delicious and still more authentic and delicious than tacos with cheese.

Burritos, norcal wins, hands down. I haven't had a really good burritos since moving to socal (though I'm in the IE).

Oh please. I love me some mission burrito but "I haven't had a really good burrito since moving to SoCal" is bovine diarrhea of the highest degree. Move to the southeast if you want to bitch about "no true burrito"

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

A place in Chico recently opened up that serves an honest-to-God California Burrito.

I ate it with tears in my eyes.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh please. I love me some mission burrito but "I haven't had a really good burrito since moving to SoCal" is bovine diarrhea of the highest degree. Move to the southeast if you want to bitch about "no true burrito"

Yeah, it's true. On Top Chef this season, people were aghast at the guy from Wilmington, NC making an enchilada with a flour tortilla because "that's just the way they do it where [he's] from." But that really is the way they do it there, he's not lying. You basically cannot get any Mexican food worth a poo poo anywhere in the Southeast.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm not saying there isn't one, I'm saying I haven't had one. Someone recommend something east of 15 (not THE, thank you), please.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

No taco is a true taco unless you murder an innocent King Salmon with your own hands then have it's steamy man-meat between some delicious delicious tortillas less than 10 minutes later, accompanied by a little lemon juice, salt, grilled onion, and whatever else you deliciously want. Alternatively, you may murder an innocent Halibut, but they take longer to get to a taco. In conclusion, the sexiest taco meat is man-murdered man-meat.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

nm posted:

I assume these alleged hands down better burritos are in SF because they sure as hell aren't in East Bay. Where am I suppose to go?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

I assume these alleged hands down better burritos are in SF because they sure as hell aren't in East Bay. Where am I suppose to go?
Most of them are from trucks. I recommend Oakland.
Sacramento had some pretty good ones too. Even Fairfield.

Trucks are banned in this county :(

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I'm just surprised that a 1L still cares despite the fact that it's already February.

Because, as sick as it sounds, I actually enjoy it. Yeah, I'm young, and I'm sure I'll end up broken, poor, and dying alone, but I still enjoy it right now. I wish I didn't, but I do. I should have gone into IT or something sensible...

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I <3 The Law too, buddy. But you can drop the "lol I'm messed up because I like the law." These cats aren't nearly as cool as you think they are for making GBS threads on liking law school, so you can stop trying to straddle that line.

Also, you aren't really sick until you have a disease that either makes your dick burn when you pee or you're discussing the various methods of shoving tampons soaked in vodka up your rear end to achieve the quickest method to blunt the pain of reality. Do you shove tampons up your rear end? I think you just enjoy learning about a New Thing. One day this may grow into a greater appreciation for dealing with -- on a daily basis -- some aspect of the legal world. Or maybe you'll realize that that's a crock and you were just enjoying learning about New Things. But in the meanwhile, before the weight of reality comes crashing down on you, it's okay to like thinking through hypotheticals.

In short, I don't think you shove tampons up your rear end.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

Go to the food trucks on International Ave. in Oakland. One of my favorites for carnitas burritos is on a weird traffic triangle off International at 1st Ave (here).

There's a ton in Fruitvale in Oakland, they're almost all great. Alternatively you could just go to the Mission in SF.

Edit: you're at Berkeley, right? Didn't they just build a new Gordo's on Telegraph? I remember the Gordo's on College being fairly good, maybe you'll have luck there if you don't want to haul your rear end all the way out to Oakland or SF.

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 24, 2012

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mons Hubris posted:

You basically cannot get any Mexican food worth a poo poo anywhere in the Southeast.

Atlanta has good Mexican, you just have to go where all the illegals are.

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Because, as sick as it sounds, I actually enjoy it. Yeah, I'm young, and I'm sure I'll end up broken, poor, and dying alone, but I still enjoy it right now. I wish I didn't, but I do. I should have gone into IT or something sensible...

We're just messing with you man. It's good you enjoy the law and have enthusiasm about it. A part of me really wanted to answer your original question...but then the rest of me brutally murdered that part.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Where do you go to law school again?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Green Crayons posted:

I <3 The Law too, buddy. But you can drop the "lol I'm messed up because I like the law." These cats aren't nearly as cool as you think they are for making GBS threads on liking law school, so you can stop trying to straddle that line.

Also, you aren't really sick until you have a disease that either makes your dick burn when you pee or you're discussing the various methods of shoving tampons soaked in vodka up your rear end to achieve the quickest method to blunt the pain of reality. Do you shove tampons up your rear end? I think you just enjoy learning about a New Thing. One day this may grow into a greater appreciation for dealing with -- on a daily basis -- some aspect of the legal world. Or maybe you'll realize that that's a crock and you were just enjoying learning about New Things. But in the meanwhile, before the weight of reality comes crashing down on you, it's okay to like thinking through hypotheticals.

You kinda went down Crazy Alley on your way from Point A to Point B...

Seriously what the hell are you talking about?

Someone asked me the other day if I enjoyed law school and I just chuckled. Here is a story: near the end of my 3L year, after a long grueling experience at GULC where I faced down depression every single day, I discovered that GULC's chapel has a prayer wall. (Despite being an atheist, I was so depressed that I went into the chapel to give myself a moment in a calm and peaceful environment.) The prayer wall is in a tiny room off the atrium to the chapel, and it usualy has a candle burning in it but no other light. On the prayer wall I read prayers for your typical problems - sickness, love, death of a loved one, etc. But the majority of prayers basically said (I'm paraphrasing here) "oh God, please help me I hate law school so much." I am not kidding. I remember reading note after note written by directionless law students who felt hopeless and despondent. It was kind of sad but at the time it made me feel better because I knew I wasn't the only one.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

The Dagda posted:

Edit: you're at Berkeley, right? Didn't they just build a new Gordo's on Telegraph? I remember the Gordo's on College being fairly good, maybe you'll have luck there if you don't want to haul your rear end all the way out to Oakland or SF.

I remember going to a Gordo's on Telegraph back in '07. The place with the $2.50 grilled burritos, right?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Joke's on you, law's nothing like law school unless you're that niche appellate nerd.

Also, somehow I'm doing med mal now! Woooooo

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ohhhh god you guys made me so loving hungry. I wish I were in SF right now, I'd head down to El Farelito this goddamn minute.

Instead, I'm in NYC, and nothing I've had out here can really compare. :sigh: Anybody have a lead on a good burrito out here?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Instead, I'm in NYC, and nothing I've had out here can really compare. :sigh: Anybody have a lead on a good burrito out here?

Was just about to ask the same thing. I haven't had a good burrito since I moved here, but now I must have one.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

I don't. I see your point. I just got the sense that a lot of people here hate their life choices and do everything to warn others off. Just trying to show a little optimism.

There certainly is a novelty aspect to it. I just feel a little out of the ordinary when my classmates talk about how much they are dreading doing a research memo, or taking a final, and I'm actually excited about it. The weight of reality is certainly there. I don't have much free time, and my relationships with others have suffered as a result. That is only going to get worse. I'm up to my eyeballs in debt, and finding a summer job has not exactly been easy. I guess I can deal with this pressure because I don't have much to loose. My entire family is poor. If I don't get a job I won't be any worse off than I would have been-- poor with few options. Maybe that perspective allows me to enjoy just having this opportunity.

HiddenReplaced posted:

We're just messing with you man. It's good you enjoy the law and have enthusiasm about it. A part of me really wanted to answer your original question...but then the rest of me brutally murdered that part.
Fair enough. I was curious enough to ask, but I wasn't so curious as to actually spend my little free time researching it. I should have realized no one else would want to either.

TheBestDeception posted:

Where do you go to law school again?

I never said. Why do you ask? I'm hesitant about connecting my professional life to my internet handle. Especially since there are a few goons who are either alumni or current students at my school. I've said a lot of stupid poo poo on here, from trolling the hive mind in D&D, loving off in GBS, and even drunk posting in e/n. That wasn't my proudest moment.

CaptainScraps posted:

Joke's on you, law's nothing like law school unless you're that niche appellate nerd.

I didn't say I enjoy law school itself. Some of it is pretty lovely. We discuss stupid cases and beat simple concepts into the ground for three weeks straight. What I do like is doing research and analysis. Exams are fun too, if nothing like practicing law. The project where I had to draft a contract was pretty fun. It was mostly boilerplate, but I had to make sure I had the proper boilerplate clauses for the situation at hand.

To any lurkers, ignore me. You won't like law school, there are no jobs, and you'll die alone.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 24, 2012

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CaptainScraps posted:

Maybe that's why I thought law school didn't have enough theory...

CaptainScraps posted:

At least you can make some money.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Ohhhh god you guys made me so loving hungry. I wish I were in SF right now, I'd head down to El Farelito this goddamn minute.

No idea if it's authentic, but LES Taqueria (at Houston St. and Orchard St.) is really great and pretty cheap.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Was just about to ask the same thing. I haven't had a good burrito since I moved here, but now I must have one.

Dos Toros is a pretty decent simulation of a Mission burrito, they have locations in the West Village, near Union Square and the UES. But I'm looking for genuinely good Mexican food in this city too if anyone else has recommendations.

Red Bean Juice posted:

I remember going to a Gordo's on Telegraph back in '07. The place with the $2.50 grilled burritos, right?

No, Gordo's steams their tortillas, they don't grill burritos as far as I know. Plus I'm almost positive the Gordo's on Telegraph only opened in the last year or so.

Edit: Almost all of my posts in the law thread have been about burritos

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 24, 2012

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Dos Toros, corner of Fourth and 13th.

^^ Like The Dagda says. The Union Square one is the only one I'm familiar with.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

IrritationX posted:

Dos Toros, corner of Fourth and 13th.

^^ Like The Dagda says. The Union Square one is the only one I'm familiar with.

Perfect, not too far away. I'll have to check that out soon. Thank you.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 24, 2012

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You guys are making me miss living in the bay area. Delicious burritos whenever I wanted....

Instead, the best Mexican I can get here in Utah is next to a construction site. (Don't get me wrong, the trucks/stands are delicious. They're also rare and randomly placed, and none are in walking distance from school)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

joat mon posted:

At least you can make some money.

Not for years!

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Taco chat is one of the worst aspects of american culture. Death to tacos, eggs on toast forever

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 24, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Stop talking about norcal burritos and tell me where I can get one in Socal, east of I15. Please?
All the burritos here are just so many beans. Well one is all meat and hot sauce, which is good (actually they have good carnitas, so delicious), but it sure isn't a norcal burrito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

CaptainScraps posted:

It's still nothing like law school

--a niche appellate nerd