Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Wait, what? Since when has Asha been incompetent? Sure, she manipulates one guy who has a massive crush on her, but so did Littlefinger, and we're not saying he's just controlling people through sex.

Theon trying to follow the rules of succession? He's got Ned's naivete but lacks even a basic understanding of the society he sought to rule.

Euron actually did everything right. He followed all the rules of succession. He's not Tywin at all. Tywin seeks to subvert the rules while pretending to follow them; Euron is the Ironman ideal, everything their culture asks for. He won the Kingsmoot fair and square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, I don't agree with any of those comparisons either.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Oh awesome instead of changing the name of a minor character like Osha they change Asha and cast a doughface. I always pictured her as a pudgeass doughface.

Yarrrrrrrrra Greyjoy

Some stupid loving tv person was all "Hey she's a pirate let's call her Yara" and other people thought that was a good loving idea.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Her actress at least looks like she can pull off the smartass part of Asha (my favorite part).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Maytag posted:

Some stupid loving tv person was all "Hey she's a pirate let's call her Yara" and other people thought that was a good loving idea.
They thought it sounded too similar to a supporting character's name (Osha), so they changed it to something sounding similar to a lead character's name (Arya). Flawless tv logic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

They thought it sounded too similar to a supporting character's name (Osha), so they changed it to something sounding similar to a lead character's name (Arya). Flawless tv logic.

It doesn't sound like Arya because those idiots pronounce it Aria.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

Euron actually did everything right. He followed all the rules of succession. He's not Tywin at all. Tywin seeks to subvert the rules while pretending to follow them; Euron is the Ironman ideal, everything their culture asks for. He won the Kingsmoot fair and square.

Not really. He's their romantic ideal, but Victarion makes it plain through his eyes that while Euron is a dashing adventurer he's ultimately a self-interested guy who hosed off around the world without so much as a "I'm doing this for King and Country." The entire impression I got is that while Euron is attractive, when the wire cuts to the bone he's going to be the first one out the door and leave the kingdom to rot.

Euron is basically everything Theon naively thought he was, and Asha thought she was. Personally I'm getting pissed off that after 6 years we still know next to nothing about the guy other than one dude's biased-as-gently caress perspective. I imagine he'd be an interesting POV to at least be close to via a Davos-type.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The difference between Yara and Asha is that with one character you want to laugh and tousle her hair while with the other you want to engage in faux-rape roleplay. Which is which depends on how much of a sick gently caress you are.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mind the walrus posted:

Not really. He's their romantic ideal, but Victarion makes it plain through his eyes that while Euron is a dashing adventurer he's ultimately a self-interested guy who hosed off around the world without so much as a "I'm doing this for King and Country." The entire impression I got is that while Euron is attractive, when the wire cuts to the bone he's going to be the first one out the door and leave the kingdom to rot.

Euron is basically everything Theon naively thought he was, and Asha thought she was.

Theon, yes, but Asha's entire thing is that the Ironman ethos is insane and destroying what little was left after Balon's rebellion. She was promising the exact opposite of Euron and is cautious where he is adventerous.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Does anyone have the link handy to the combined reading order of AFfC/ADwD? Thought I'd give it a try to reread ADwD.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
^A reading order for combining books four and five.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait, what? Since when has Asha been incompetent? Sure, she manipulates one guy who has a massive crush on her, but so did Littlefinger, and we're not saying he's just controlling people through sex.
Are these points supposed to be in disagreement? Asha manipulates that one guy who loves her, to very little effect. How many battles/castles/moots must she lose and how long she be imprisoned before she can be branded a bit of a gently caress up? So much of her story seems to thematically mirror Cersei's with the The Gurm's take on penis-envy.

quote:

Theon trying to follow the rules of succession? He's got Ned's naivete but lacks even a basic understanding of the society he sought to rule.
As for Theon, change that but to an and and that sentence compares the two even more closely.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is quite possibly the worst casting the show has done yet (Xaro Xhoan Daxos). "A bald man with a jewel in his nose from Qarth" >>> "Generic black man."

Ravus posted:

What? Really? The boy-loving, milk-pale, CRYING MERCHANT is some generic butch looking black guy? :wtc:

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well at least they've fulfilled the "quota", whatever the hell that is.
Also, seriously, guys?

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 24, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ashrik posted:

Also, seriously, guys?

Yes? They chose almost the exact opposite description of XXD.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't even remember who Xaro whatshisface is meant to be so I don't care that much. As far as I'm concerned he's just another character GRRM has added but has absolutely no intention of doing anything with.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sophia posted:

They are boring though? Theon's arc got pretty interesting but the viking pirate society as a whole is boring as hell and is also just a rehash of the power struggle going on surrounding the Iron Throne. Asha is Cersei, the woman who uses sex as a tool and thinks she should be able to rule based on ability but is actually not that good of a leader and ultimately still controlled by males. Theon is Ned, the guy looking to follow actual rules of succession and being utterly powerless to make this happen in any way and suffers horribly because of his lack of political savvy. Euron is Tywin, the guy who actually ends up running the show because he is charismatic and powerful and enough of a dick to do what needs to be done.

GRRM is not very good at disguising his recycled ideas.

How does Asha use sex as a tool? I don't see it.

If anything she likes having sex with tools* but she doesn't think much of them or want anything from them.

*much like Dany :ughh:

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Ashrik posted:

Also, seriously, guys?

Azure_Horizon posted:

This. It's not a small departure from the books, it's a polar opposite. It's not even like they picked a black guy with the right body type! He's not languid or elegant at all.

So yeah, seriously, whatever that was meant to imply anyway.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Ravus posted:

So yeah, seriously, whatever that was meant to imply anyway.
I think it was in reference to "generic butch looking black guy" and "generic black man". :ohdear:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mediant posted:

I think it was in reference to "generic butch looking black guy" and "generic black man". :ohdear:

We're using generic to mean average... there's nothing special or unique about his appearance, and XXD is a rather unique-looking individual in the books.

Ah well, if he can act the part then I don't care that much, it's just a strange casting choice when they've done really well so far.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

We're using generic to mean average... there's nothing special or unique about his appearance, and XXD is a rather unique-looking individual in the books.

Ah well, if he can act the part then I don't care that much, it's just a strange casting choice when they've done really well so far.

Yup. He's a really odd looking guy in the books. That guy ^^^ is not odd. He's generic. And butch looking. And black. These are all SEPARATE faults with the physical aspect of the casting. Not a call that all black people look alike and all gay people need to be queens. Jesus gently caress bad thread, stop being so thin skinned.

If he pulls it off then massive props to him, Syrio-actor-guy nailed his part without looking exactly right so it can happen.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Does anyone have the link handy to the combined reading order of AFfC/ADwD? Thought I'd give it a try to reread ADwD.

I hear it's at the corner bar. They give it out to everyone who gets drunk enough to remember nobody should ever reread Dance.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Lance Reddick from Lost/Fringe would've made a good XXD.

Oh well. Now he can play Daario instead.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2012/02/23/30-rock-leap-day/

quote:

It’s funny that 30 Rock is up against that other show — you know the one. The one with much better ratings; the one about nerds. Answer me this, though: did that show feature an Ewok, lyrics to the Mos Eisley cantina song, a Dungeons & Dragons room, and a completely obscure reference to Xaro Xhoan Daxos from Game of Thrones? Who’s the nerd now Big Bang Theory, huh?!?

The nerds really care about this character so they better get it right!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Joramun posted:

Lance Reddick from Lost/Fringe would've made a good XXD.

Oh well. Now he can play Daario instead.

As long as he has blue chops. Although he might be too much of a generic gaunt black man for my tastes, needs to be a bit more unique to be ~my daario~

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I'd be fine with pretty much every other character being cast as a generic black man, there's a couple who should probably match the book's description though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bigmcgaffney posted:

As long as he has blue chops. Although he might be too much of a generic gaunt black man for my tastes, needs to be a bit more unique to be ~my daario~

Mandy Patinkin with a Jersey Shore tan. Got it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

TGC Daario is nightmare fuel.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
After Daario Naharis comes into play discard all your clothes... :swoon:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Joramun posted:

You're just jealous of his irresistible sex-appeal.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

zocio posted:

After Daario Naharis comes into play discard all your clothes... :swoon:

I'd tap his mana.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks a bunch, Joramun. :stare:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Joramun posted:

:pedo: + :black101:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Anyone played that game enough to know if he's actually a decent character or not? The only card game I'm close to familiar with is Magic, and I've never played another which wasn't inelegant and stupid in comparison.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
When he gets played the game usually ends because it gets hard to concentrate on anything else. :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is there a Darkstar card too? I want to know how I can play with with Daario. I'm sure it automatically wins the game. Those two would be unstoppable together.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
:smug: Nothing can top "The Ear of Myrcella" magic booster card, and you can not repel my power now. Surrender your deck to me, loser.

:frogc00l: Not so fast!

[hushed murmurs from onlookers]

:frogc00l: This card I hold here...

[the crowd gasps and leans closer]

:frogc00l: ...is of the night.

[thunderous applause]

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Is there a Darkstar card too? I want to know how I can play with with Daario. I'm sure it automatically wins the game. Those two would be unstoppable together.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
No quote? Surely the could have put something along the lines of "imma gonna cut your little girl's ear up! :ese:"

By the way, what about a Hodor card? (Though I will be disappointed if its text isn't a string of "Hodor".

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Darkstar, secret Black Ear? Chella's son perhabs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

zocio posted:

Darkstar, secret Black Ear? Chella's son perhabs?

That'd be welcome. I miss the Mountain Clans, especially Timett and the Burned Men.